E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Crying tears of washer fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W213 e400 Wagon
Crying tears of washer fluid

I have taken delivery of my new-to-me 2017 e400 wagon and it is for the most part glorious!

All lessons, trials, and tribulations related to buying out of state, sight unseen aside, I'm enjoying the car as it is leaps and bounds above all others I have owned thus far . . . including the refrigerated 2011 Sprinter, ehem.

I was surprised the other day to see the check washer fluid light on within the first couple weeks of owning the vehicle and initially thought, "hmm, shocking the dealership didn't send it with a full reservoir." I filled it up, admiring the capacity and it's ability to hold a gallon. The next day, I walked out to the car and saw fluid dripping from the back of the driver's side front wheel well. A quick paper towel dab on the puddle later and I knew why the aforementioned light came on.

Given that the car is covered by the CPO warranty, rather than start wading through the layers to get to the reservoir, I figured I'd just make an appointment with my local dealer. But being curious, is there anything easy and obvious I can check?

Last edited by sar5w; 11-21-2023 at 06:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (11-27-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,716 Likes on 2,472 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
approved list

Originally Posted by sar5w
I have taken delivery of my new-to-me 2017 e400 wagon and it is for the most part glorious!

All lessons, trials, and tribulations related to buying out of state, sight unseen aside, I'm enjoying the car as it is leaps and bounds above all others I have owned thus far . . . including the refrigerated 2011 Sprinter, ehem.

I was surprised the other day to see the check washer fluid light on within the first couple weeks of owning the vehicle and initially thought, "hmm, shocking the dealership didn't send it with a full reservoir." I filled it up, admiring the capacity and it's ability to hold a gallon. The next day, I walked out to the car and saw fluid dripping from the back of the driver's side front wheel well. A quick paper towel dab on the puddle later and I knew why the aforementioned light came on.

Given that the car is covered by the CPO warranty, rather than start wading through the layers to get to the reservoir, I figured I'd just make an appointment with my local dealer. But being curious, is there anything easy and obvious I can check?
After the failed washer tank seal is replaced you'll want to use MB Approved washer fluid. It has the right chemistry to keep troubles at bay.

This is applicable to all fluids. MB vehicles are non-standard and need specific spares. OEM branded products meet minimum compliance.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 11-22-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 R320
Had the same issue

Congrats on the long roof. I just picked up an e400 wagon this year and had the same issue. It’s a cheap part on rock auto and will probably save you a couple hundred dollars if you do it yourself.
trico 11614
Old 11-27-2023, 08:58 AM

W213 e400 Wagon
How difficult is the pump/reservoir to access? The vehicle is still under CPO warranty, not sure if this is covered . . .
Old 11-27-2023, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 R320
It’s fairly easy to access. Jack up the front left side. Remove wheel and plastic liner. Reservoir and pump are just behind the wheel. Maybe a 30 minute job.
Side note on washer fluid FWIW. My MB dealer laughed at me years ago when I asked if they sold a specific/approved type.
They could have been laughing because I had an R320 and they knew what it would do to me.
Old 11-27-2023, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 602 Likes on 457 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by sar5w
How difficult is the pump/reservoir to access? The vehicle is still under CPO warranty, not sure if this is covered . . .
It is. Stop worrying about DIY and take you care to the dealer who will fix it under warranty at no charge to you.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:17 PM

W213 e400 Wagon
Unfortunately timing with the local dealer was a bit of an issue and I can't give it to them for a couple days they say they need.

So I dove in! The part that gave me the most pause was pulling the fender liner due to fear of breaking clips, etc. The worst that happened was one flew out and went under the car. My pump looked like this:

Once I pulled the fender liner, I put a little bit of washer fluid in to see where the leak was coming from. It wasn't the gromet, but the base of black nipple on the left side of the pump. I put in the replacement pump, filled the reservoir before putting the fender liner back in place, and success, no leak! It took a minute or two for the pump to engage, but both the rear and main washer do their thing.

I couldn't find my plastic magnet, but once I could move the car, I recovered the errant clip.

Thanks to those providing advice and words of caution. Had it been more than a simple issue, I would have kept my appointment at the dealership for tomorrow . . .
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (08-17-2024)