E-Class (W214) 2024 -

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2024 | 09:33 PM

GL450, E450
Front License Plate

Does anyone have a front plate installed on their W214? I just got my 25 E450 and the plate mount is in the trunk. A front plate is required in Texas. I tried to figure out where the mounting holes are on the front of the car but I can’t seem to find anything that would accommodate the plate mount.

Id like to see a pic if anyone has one.

I’ll probably just take my chances and not put the front plate on. It’d be a shame to ruin the looks of the front end with a license plate anyway.
Old 10-07-2024 | 11:27 PM

2024 GLE63s, 2021 E63s, 2018 GLC43

Old 10-07-2024 | 11:30 PM

GL450, E450
Originally Posted by taphil
Thanks! It doesn’t look as bad as I’d feared.
Old 10-07-2024 | 11:58 PM
Veteran: Army

W214 E450
The dealer should put it on for free. It may require holes to be drilled. There is one forum member that used the tow hook location using a 3rd party bracket specifically for that purpose. No drilling and easy to remove if you ever do not need a front plate in the future. It puts the plat a little to the side rather than center.

Check out this thread on post #15.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ate-mount.html
The following users liked this post:
Hicksra (10-08-2024)
Old 10-12-2024 | 08:21 PM

2006 R500, 2025 E450 Wagon
My 2025 E450 came with the front plate holder on it, and the holder is literally held on with two self tapping screws right through the bumper cover. Surprises me. I took it off and luckily the holes don't stand out too much.
Old 10-13-2024 | 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Texas passed a front plate requirement law several years back, but a significant number of drivers refuse to comply, and law enforcement has a big problem getting compliance. In some neighborhoods, they simply ignore it.

I live in Flower Mound, Texas, an upscale community where most cars do NOT display front plates. I see 7-10 Teslas every mile that I drive, and NONE of them have front plates. Look around you in the area where you drive... if plates are on all vehicles, then I'd comply.

Otherwise, I'd keep the front plate in the trunk, so you can prove that you have it and it's not displayed on another vehicle. Drive reasonably in traffic to avoid attention for some other violation, which could add a pile-on ticket for a missing plate.

I've considered the towing pintle mount, and it will be the fallback if I ever get pulled over just for a missing plate. But so far (26 years) it's not happened.

Last edited by DFWdude; 10-13-2024 at 09:25 AM.
pierrejoliat (10-13-2024)
Old 10-13-2024 | 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by DFWdude
Texas passed a front plate requirement law several years back, but a significant number of drivers refuse to comply, and law enforcement has a big problem getting compliance. In some neighborhoods, they simply ignore it.

I live in Flower Mound, Texas, an upscale community where most cars do NOT display front plates. I see 7-10 Teslas every mile that I drive, and NONE of them have front plates. Look around you in the area where you drive... if plates are on all vehicles, then I'd comply.

Otherwise, I'd keep the front plate in the trunk, so you can prove that you have it and it's not displayed on another vehicle. Drive reasonably in traffic to avoid attention for some other violation, which could add a pile-on ticket for a missing plate.

I've considered the towing pintle mount, and it will be the fallback if I ever get pulled over just for a missing plate. But so far (26 years) it's not happened.
In New York, for as long as I can remember, back into the 40's, we have had license plates on front and back.

You will get a ticket if you do not have a front license plate: I guess we are more "law and order" than Texas.

We also have electronic readers and photos for bridges, tunnels and toll roads. If you do not have an easy pass, a picture is taken of your license plate and a bill is sent to you. If you fail to pay the bills, when your registration comes up for renewal you will have to pay those bills, interest and penalties.

If you are out of state, there is a procedure to collect, but I do not know how effective it is.
Old 10-13-2024 | 12:59 PM

W214 E450
Originally Posted by JTK44
In New York, for as long as I can remember, back into the 40's, we have had license plates on front and back.

You will get a ticket if you do not have a front license plate: I guess we are more "law and order" than Texas.

We also have electronic readers and photos for bridges, tunnels and toll roads. If you do not have an easy pass, a picture is taken of your license plate and a bill is sent to you. If you fail to pay the bills, when your registration comes up for renewal you will have to pay those bills, interest and penalties.

If you are out of state, there is a procedure to collect, but I do not know how effective it is.
I believe the tolls take pics of the front and back of the car. Otherwise, there are plenty of out of state drivers that are not required to have a front plate would never be identified to send a bill. I'm personally not a fan of front plates and glad I live in a state (TN) that doesn't require them. We also do not have to have a plate on trailers. If I had to, I would use a tow hook mounted plate so it can be installed without putting holes in the front bumper.

I lived in NY until I was 25 and hated the registration and inspection stickers in the bottom corner of the windshield more than having a front plate. Cars back then came with the mounting bracket already installed or part of the bumper for the front plate. Many of today's cars do not.

Last edited by L1Wolf; 10-13-2024 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-13-2024 | 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by L1Wolf
I believe the tols take pics of the front and back of the car. Otherwise, there are plenty of out of state drivers that are not required to have a front plate would never be identified to send a bill. I'm personally not a fan of front plates and glad I live in a state (TN) that doesn't require them. We also do not have to have a plate on trailers. If I had to, I would use a tow hook mounted plate so it can be installed without putting holes in the front bumper.

I lived in NY until I was 25 and hated the registration and inspection stickers in the bottom corner of the windshield more than having a front plate. Cars back then came with the mounting bracket already installed or part of the bumper for the front plate. Many of today's cars do not.
Trailers in NY require registration and their own license plate.

Our inspection stickers have recently been updated: they now contain

• Model year
  • VIN
  • mileage

Registration stickers:

• Model year
  • VIN
Old 10-13-2024 | 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm glad that I live in Florida - no front plate, no inspection, no windshield stickers and no state income tax. Annual auto tag fee is $46.10.
Old 10-13-2024 | 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 GLE3502W, 2024 GLC3002W, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp (for sale)
A few years ago I bought a 2014 GL450. It was a CPO. Originally titled in CA and it did not have the front bracket installed. I had the front plate and the bracket in the car when I got pulled over by a state trooper north of Houston. Got a warning ticket. Later that day I drove to the dealer. As I got out of the car in the service line, I handed the plate, bracket, and ticket to the young person who opened my door. No words were exchanged. He got a power screwdriver and 2 large, black sheet metal screws. He put the bracket on by drilling the screws right into the bumper. He got a dealer plate surround and attached the plate. I thanked him and drove away. A few years later I bought 2017 GLS550. Same deal. No front bracket. But I now had vanity plates so I wanted the front plate installed. I now have a 2024 GLC. I've yet to install the vanity plate on the front. Living dangerously!!!
Old 10-13-2024 | 08:03 PM

On my previous 23' EQS I had slybracket installed as it was a perfect fit, quality and finish are top notch and lasted me two years without any issues, however upon further trial and error and contacting the owner of the company it was concluded the grill mount does not align properly to provide a sturdy hold on the W214. Long story short a new search began for a no-drill front bracket. Amazon/eBay are full of specific models or universal front tow-hook brackets but I am never a fan of using the tow-hook cover as it ruins the aesthetic of the front bumper. Upon further searching, I came across the Carbonio No-Drill Front License Plate Mount specific for the W214 (they also have other MB models). The fitment of this plate is mounted on the lower grille allowing those with the Pinnacle Trim not to have a good amount of their front grille's light not being covered (which is how typically dealers mount it with the MB mount and requires them to drill holes.) It is also a much sleeker bracket and allows the user to adjust the depth and width allowing you to have it flush against the bumper (protected with small plastic bumps to protect your bumper in case someone bumps into you) or further outwards allowing more ample space for those who live in the city and experience "love-taps". I have yet to receive the product nor test it as I am still waiting for my item to be shipped but I am looking forward to this quality no-drill solution that doesn't ruin the vehicle's aesthetics. The installation process is also a breeze by the looks of it so fingers crossed.

Hicksra (10-13-2024)
Old 10-13-2024 | 09:08 PM

GL450, E450
Originally Posted by McNeo
On my previous 23' EQS I had slybracket installed as it was a perfect fit, quality and finish are top notch and lasted me two years without any issues, however upon further trial and error and contacting the owner of the company it was concluded the grill mount does not align properly to provide a sturdy hold on the W214. Long story short a new search began for a no-drill front bracket. Amazon/eBay are full of specific models or universal front tow-hook brackets but I am never a fan of using the tow-hook cover as it ruins the aesthetic of the front bumper. Upon further searching, I came across the Carbonio No-Drill Front License Plate Mount specific for the W214 (they also have other MB models). The fitment of this plate is mounted on the lower grille allowing those with the Pinnacle Trim not to have a good amount of their front grille's light not being covered (which is how typically dealers mount it with the MB mount and requires them to drill holes.) It is also a much sleeker bracket and allows the user to adjust the depth and width allowing you to have it flush against the bumper (protected with small plastic bumps to protect your bumper in case someone bumps into you) or further outwards allowing more ample space for those who live in the city and experience "love-taps". I have yet to receive the product nor test it as I am still waiting for my item to be shipped but I am looking forward to this quality no-drill solution that doesn't ruin the vehicle's aesthetics. The installation process is also a breeze by the looks of it so fingers crossed.

Good info! They’re proud of them aren’t they? $189.00.

Please report back with your thoughts when yours comes in. I might order one based on your input.

Last edited by Hicksra; 10-13-2024 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2024 | 09:14 PM

W214 E450
Originally Posted by Hicksra
Good info! They’re proud of them aren’t they? $189.00.

Please report back with your thoughts when yours comes in. I might order one based on your input.
One of the better looking options I've seen.
Old 10-15-2024 | 11:11 AM

W214 All-Terrain
Mine was delivered with the front plate after me asking the dealer to not attach. Gave it back to them and they sent to a body shop to have the holes filled. Looks way better w/o IMO.
Old 10-15-2024 | 02:02 PM

W214 E450
Originally Posted by boyrito
Mine was delivered with the front plate after me asking the dealer to not attach. Gave it back to them and they sent to a body shop to have the holes filled. Looks way better w/o IMO.
Does your state (Colorado?) require a front plate?
Old 10-15-2024 | 02:04 PM

W214 All-Terrain
It does, but I see plenty of cars without them. Figure I'd roll the dice for aesthetics with a small chance of a ticket down the line. Will probably get a tow hook one if it does become an issue.
Old 10-17-2024 | 06:11 PM

W214 E450
Originally Posted by boyrito
It does, but I see plenty of cars without them. Figure I'd roll the dice for aesthetics with a small chance of a ticket down the line. Will probably get a tow hook one if it does become an issue.
You likely won't get stopped for not having it, but if you are stopped for another reason, they can add it on the ticket they may give you.
Old 10-17-2024 | 09:21 PM

E-450
Originally Posted by L1Wolf
I believe the tolls take pics of the front and back of the car.
I can confirm this. Registered the plate (temporary, rear only) in my ezpass account, drove through NY bridges and got photographed and charged (slightly higher than tag scan).
Old 10-17-2024 | 09:22 PM

E-450
Originally Posted by ua549
I'm glad that I live in Florida - no front plate, no inspection, no windshield stickers and no state income tax. Annual auto tag fee is $46.10.
That's the main reason people flee from NY to FL.
Old 10-17-2024 | 10:44 PM

W214 E450
Originally Posted by liexpress
That's the main reason people flee from NY to FL.
Haha. I moved from NY to FL because I was sick of dealing with snow. Didn't even consider the income tax or the registration pains. Back then, FL charged an impact fee for each car you brought from out of state or bought. Then about 3 or 4 years later those fees were ruled unconstitutional and they refunded the fees I paid.