EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Opinions regarding Sport Mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 07:36 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
2023 Mercedes ESQ SUV 580 ● 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Opinions regarding Sport Mode?

This last month I have been using Sport Mode exclusively. I live in Las Vegas near 3 freeways and my daily travel mostly involves freeway driving. Also I always use Strong Recuperation. This combination gives me the ride that I really enjoyed from my (now traded in) Tesla Model S, that I drove since 2017. Since I only drive locally (25 to 75 miles a day) the hit to the battery range (about 15%) is not an issue.

Anyone else use this driving configuration?
Old 11-02-2023, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
I don’t use Sport mode because I do not care for the increased fake motor sound it produces.
Old 11-02-2023, 08:09 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
2023 Mercedes ESQ SUV 580 ● 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
I don’t use Sport mode because I do not care for the increased fake motor sound it produces.
I am not aware of any additional sounds. I do it because the car seems to have better acceleration, on par with my Tesla.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:57 PM

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
2022 Taycan GTS, 2023 EQS580 SUV, 2023 EQS580 sedan
in sport mode, throttle (but EV doesn't have throttle lol) respond better than normal mode. it feels the car is lighter, gives better acceleration.
Old 11-03-2023, 01:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Mercedes Benz EQS 580 SUV, Audi R8 Performance Quattro, Porsche Cayman S
Here is my honest opinion on Sport mode.

I use sport mode all the time. How is it different than comfort mode?

1) Throttle response is quicker. I do feel increased acceleration in Sport than Comfort
2) The suspension gets tighter (relatively). I despise the bouncy ride of Comfort mode. Very annoying. This is the main reason I use Sport. Even in Sport, EQS doesn't turn into a sport car but the suspension gets tighter makes the ride to my taste.
3) Steering - not so different. The steering and handling are not sportive in EQS so it doesn't vary much between Sport vs. Comfort

So in short, you will see huge difference in acceleration and suspension. My individual (I) mode has everything Sport except acceleration. I like this better than Comfort (just because of the bouncy ride).

P.S: My other 2 cars are hardcore sports cars so my taste may be bit different.
The following users liked this post:
misterkye (04-08-2024)
Old 11-03-2023, 07:15 AM

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
I took delivery of my EQE SUV about 10 days ago. I have Airmatic suspension and in Comfort mode, the ride seems boaty/floaty and like it's on a stiff "Jello" foundation, for lack of a better description. I don't find this totally objectionable, but I discovered a couple of days ago that Sport Mode makes the ride much tighter and more responsive (not surprising, I guess), while still feeling a bit plush. I will do as bpans did and configure my Individual mode to be everything Sport, except acceleration, as I really have no desire to drive "sporty" at all.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:11 AM

Received 258 Likes on 152 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
In Individual Mode with everything set to Sport except suspension, does anyone know if chassis lowering above 75 mph will change to the Sport height or the Comfort height?
Old 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
I like Sport mode with Strong Regen when I'm feeling sporty. It is the mode that most similarly resembles the Tesla driving experience.

I switch between Comfort mode Normal Regen and Sport with Strong Regen depending on my mood.

I've noticed if you drive in Sport mode but in a docile manner, it's still pretty soft and relaxing. But if you start driving it pretty hard and aggressively, everything really wakes up. Brake pedal even gets firmer and more responsive. Suspension gets very stiff. Steering gets very sharp. I was really surprised. I didn't expect this vehicle to behave this way and behave so well when driven as such.

I don't often drive it like this, I usually just drive it in Comfort mode. So pushing it as such, my impression is that it drives far better than I expected it would. It's way more capable than something this large and heavy has any right to be.

I'm happy it seems to detect driver intentions and rewards them appropriately.
ScottC2 (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Originally Posted by fgwinn
In Individual Mode with everything set to Sport except suspension, does anyone know if chassis lowering above 75 mph will change to the Sport height or the Comfort height?
Once you hit 75, in Comfort mode, it will lower 10mm. If in Sport mode, it lowers 15mm instead. With your suspension set to comfort, it should remain at the 10mm height drop when you hit 75+
The following 3 users liked this post by QuadBenz:
guess2098 (11-04-2023), LAZARU5 (11-06-2023), ScottC2 (11-10-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 08:10 AM
sno

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
I use individual mode, I change everything to Sport except the motor performance that I leave in comfort so I dont kill my milage.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:55 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
2023 EQS 580 4Matic SUV
I love sport mode , but i hate it default back to comfort After about two month I said screw it, comfort is fine
LAZARU5 (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 10:44 PM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
EQS
Originally Posted by 23-EQS580-SUV
I love sport mode , but i hate it default back to comfort After about two month I said screw it, comfort is fine
For a car that tries to personalize everything I just don't get why it doesn't apply the last drive setting. It is unnecessary button press.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:49 AM

EQE SUV 500 4Matic
I read a plausible explanation somewhere -- quite possibly on this forum.
It's defaulted always to Comfort in order to produce the best possible "mileage" results for the rating agencies. EPA, WLTP and the like.
I have no idea whether this is true or not, but it makes sense to me. Still disappointing, however!
Old 11-08-2023, 03:07 PM

EQS
Originally Posted by ScottC2
It's defaulted always to Comfort in order to produce the best possible "mileage" results for the rating agencies. EPA, WLTP and the like.
I have no idea whether this is true or not, but it makes sense to me. Still disappointing, however!
That doesn't make any sense to me then why add sport mode in the first place? I can understand saying best range is achievable with following speed limits, using eco mode with intelligent regen but leave the option to me. If I am only driving 50 miles a day I don't care about range that much 90% of the time. As it is everytime I start the car, I have to change it to individual mode and also enable seat ventilation (I like it on all the time regardless of the weather). These settings should have been part of driver memory, the weather doesn't change often to warrant forgetting seat heating/ventilation setting. And if it is a problem for some, make it a setting so I can choose what happens.
LasVegas_89135 (11-08-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Not quite correct.
Comfort doesn’t produce the best mileage results, Eco mode does.
There is a video of a MB engineer explaining that Eco mode and No regen produces the best results but Comfort and low regen was used to establish their EPA/WLTP rating.
The interviewer then asked why then couldn’t the Car start back in Eco mode if that’s the mode the driver was in at shut off seeing as it will produce better results than Comfort… the engineer had no answer and definitely had a stupid look on his face.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tjdehya:
QuadBenz (11-09-2023), ScottC2 (11-10-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
They're still missing a few modes:

Old 11-10-2023, 06:14 AM

EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Red face

Originally Posted by Tjdehya
Not quite correct.
Comfort doesn’t produce the best mileage results, Eco mode does.
There is a video of a MB engineer explaining that Eco mode and No regen produces the best results but Comfort and low regen was used to establish their EPA/WLTP rating.
The interviewer then asked why then couldn’t the Car start back in Eco mode if that’s the mode the driver was in at shut off seeing as it will produce better results than Comfort… the engineer had no answer and definitely had a stupid look on his face.
Very interesting!
This leaves me wondering just what is the point of having Regen, in all its various forms, if it doesn't add more to range than, say, driving in ECO with no regen.
I am a newbie at electric vehicles and am still in a steep learning curve
Old 11-10-2023, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
I drive in comfort mode all the time and I've seen the battery actually go up 1% when using the paddles to switch from normal to maximum regen (or whatever stoopid sheet they call it in MB land). It stops me much faster than braking hard too, a lot like downshifting in a manual trans car.
Old 11-10-2023, 10:55 AM

Received 258 Likes on 152 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Very interesting!
This leaves me wondering just what is the point of having Regen, in all its various forms, if it doesn't add more to range than, say, driving in ECO with no regen.
I am a newbie at electric vehicles and am still in a steep learning curve
One possible reason for the "Normal" setting could be to mimic ICE vehicles to ease the transition for new EV owners. Defaulting to Comfort Mode and Normal Recuperation is the setting that is closest to ICE cars. Eco mode behavior of the accelerator and Coasting instead of Normal Recuperation require an acquired taste that a new EV owner may not welcome. My wife recently changed the mode to Eco from Comfort when I was not paying attention. When I stepped on the accelerator to pass a truck I initially thought something was wrong with the car until I glanced down and saw the green "E" on the dash.

Last edited by LAZARU5; 11-10-2023 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-10-2023, 11:06 AM

EQS
Originally Posted by Crito
I drive in comfort mode all the time and I've seen the battery actually go up 1% when using the paddles to switch from normal to maximum regen (or whatever stoopid sheet they call it in MB land). It stops me much faster than braking hard too, a lot like downshifting in a manual trans car.
​​​​No regen mode doesn't mean regen brakes aren't used at all. It means the car won't initiate them on its own and instead let the car cruise. So going down hill, if you need to slow down you have to apply brakes which will charge the battery still. In the videos mentioned above they explain it saying that letting the car cruise is usually more efficient unless you know the car needs to slow down eventually where a sharp stop will be less inefficient as it will trigger physical brakes. That's what intelligent mode tries to do, it tries to let the car use its momentum but also use regen brakes in situations like a car ahead of you, passing speed limit etc.
JoeMa (03-18-2024)
Old 11-10-2023, 11:21 AM

EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Originally Posted by sarhoshamiral
​​​​In the videos mentioned above they explain it saying that letting the car cruise is usually more efficient unless you know the car needs to slow down eventually where a sharp stop will be less inefficient as it will trigger physical brakes. That's what intelligent mode tries to do, it tries to let the car use its momentum but also use regen brakes in situations like a car ahead of you, passing speed limit etc.
I would l like to watch the video(s). Can anyone share the links? Perhaps they are in this thread...but if they are, I'm totally missing them!
LAZARU5 (11-10-2023)
Old 03-18-2024, 12:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
AMG GT53
Sorry, wrong thread.
In case no one's mentioned it and you haven't tried it, can hold down the left paddle to put the car in lowest available gear.. gas pedal should put you in the back of your seat w/o lag from there. Takes a little getting used to but becomes like second nature.

Last edited by deadcat; 03-18-2024 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:02 PM

EQS
Originally Posted by deadcat
In case no one's mentioned it and you haven't tried it, can hold down the left paddle to put the car in lowest available gear.. gas pedal should put you in the back of your seat w/o lag from there. Takes a little getting used to but becomes like second nature.
Lowest gear?
Old 03-18-2024, 01:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
AMG GT53
Originally Posted by sarhoshamiral
Lowest gear?
Sorry, wrong thread.