EQS EQS (V297) sedan

EQS news & rumors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 08:46 PM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Jaguar XKRS, Audi S8, Chevrolet Z06, Tesla Model S, Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe
My normal approach to special ordering a car is to use the configurator to document my build and then send that build to multiple dealers (both local and out of state) asking for their best out the door price. I plan to do the same for the EQS (may have to do a build using a spreadsheet). If none of the dealers are willing to go below MSRP, I will wait and try again later. Although the normal response from a dealer is "no one is going below MSRP", I inevitably find at least one that is more interested in increasing sales than making a huge profit (increasing sales this year equates to increased allocation next year). In 2013, after being told by several Audi dealers in VA that no one was selling the S8 below MSRP, I found a dealer in MD that was offering 600 over invoice. I later received a call from one of the VA dealers asking how my search was going, after telling him about the MD offer, he agreed to match. A couple of weeks after the order was placed, I was informed that Audi was switching from the 2013 production line to the 2014 production and the dealer agreed to keep the price at 600 over invoice for a 2014. Since then, I have used a similar process to purchase a Nisan GTR, a Jaguar, and and a Corvette Z06. I know this year may be a little different do to the chip shortage (limited supply), but I also think that when the final pricing is announced, the number of folks that are financially able and still interested will be considerably less than it is now (reduced demand). So although dealers are not willing to deal now, I think this will change when the pricing comes out and demand drops. I have already seen comments on this forum from folks that stated they are not willing to pay more than the cost of the ICE S class.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 850 Likes on 544 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by bnzvett
My normal approach to special ordering a car is to use the configurator to document my build and then send that build to multiple dealers (both local and out of state) asking for their best out the door price. I plan to do the same for the EQS (may have to do a build using a spreadsheet). If none of the dealers are willing to go below MSRP, I will wait and try again later. Although the normal response from a dealer is "no one is going below MSRP", I inevitably find at least one that is more interested in increasing sales than making a huge profit (increasing sales this year equates to increased allocation next year). In 2013, after being told by several Audi dealers in VA that no one was selling the S8 below MSRP, I found a dealer in MD that was offering 600 over invoice. I later received a call from one of the VA dealers asking how my search was going, after telling him about the MD offer, he agreed to match. A couple of weeks after the order was placed, I was informed that Audi was switching from the 2013 production line to the 2014 production and the dealer agreed to keep the price at 600 over invoice for a 2014. Since then, I have used a similar process to purchase a Nisan GTR, a Jaguar, and and a Corvette Z06. I know this year may be a little different do to the chip shortage (limited supply), but I also think that when the final pricing is announced, the number of folks that are financially able and still interested will be considerably less than it is now (reduced demand). So although dealers are not willing to deal now, I think this will change when the pricing comes out and demand drops. I have already seen comments on this forum from folks that stated they are not willing to pay more than the cost of the ICE S class.
It depends on supply and availability. What you say will eventually be true, but in this case it may take a few years due to the following reasons:
1) This is actually a great product a bit like the Porsche Taycan (unlike the Audi etron SUV)
2) Supply chain issues mean production will be limited for some time still meaning there will be a large demand-supply imbalance which was not the case when you got you S8 in 2013
3) It will be a long time before Mercedes lots are flush with EVs

For at least the next 2-3 years it will be like trying to buy a Porsche Taycan. For the first year, it will be like trying to buy a Porsche GT3 or a G63. The G63 has been out for 2 years now. Try getting a discount on one. If its on the lot, you will pay over MSRP. See below - average G63 sells 4% above MSRP. This car launched for 2019 model year.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 08-31-2021 at 09:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tjdehya (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 306 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
INMHO, expecting a discount on a brand new vehicle in it's first year of production when demand is at its highest is pretty unrealistic. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by 190Efan
INMHO, expecting a discount on a brand new vehicle in it's first year of production when demand is at its highest is pretty unrealistic. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah I understand and I may have to wait, but please don't think of it as a discount. Even if you pay invoice, the dealer still makes a profit and if you special order, they make even more profit because they don't have to pay to have it sit on the lot. So the real question is just how much profit do they want to make (or how much profit are you willing to give them).

I also agree that it may come down to how much demand there is for the car and how much will the chip shortage effect the supply. If they have people lined up to pay MSRP and above, then I agree that I will have no chance of getting it below. I'm just not sure the lines to purchase will be as long as they would otherwise be if we were in a different environment. I also think that MSRP will probably be more than people think. My local dealer told me that they expect the vehicle price to be close to the ICE S class, but I don't know what that means. My 2016 S63 AMG had a MSRP of over 180K. Is that the S class they are referring too, or is it the base 4 door with no options that's less than 100K? I think the final price will be a determining factor on the amount of demand. The people that spend 150K or more on a car are not the ones that need a vehicle now to get from point A to point B. We typically have more than one vehicle and can choose when we want to purchase. So with the economic uncertainty given that we are in the middle of a pandemic, I think more folks than usual may decide to wait and not overpay.

One more thing to consider: someone with the exact same spec on their 2016 S63 as mine, but paid the over 180K MSRP has a vehicle that's now worth the same as mine (when I sold it) even though I paid about 29K less. So in essence, his cost of ownership for the same vehicle over the same period would be about 29K higher under similar circumstances.

Interesting times we live in, can't wait to see how this story ends. Will I be the proud owner of a 2022 EQS or a 2024(5) EQS?
Old 08-31-2021, 05:33 PM

Received 247 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 E400W4 EU Delivery 1999 E320 2022 E53 COUPE
Yeah I understand and I may have to wait, but please don't think of it as a discount. Even if you pay invoice, the dealer still makes a profit and if you special order, they make even more profit because they don't have to pay to have it sit on the lot. So the real question is just how much profit do they want to make (or how much profit are you willing to give them).

I also agree that it may come down to how much demand there is for the car and how much will the chip shortage effect the supply. If they have people lined up to pay MSRP and above, then I agree that I will have no chance of getting it below. I'm just not sure the lines to purchase will be as long as they would otherwise be if we were in a different environment. I also think that MSRP will probably be more than people think. My local dealer told me that they expect the vehicle price to be close to the ICE S class, but I don't know what that means. My 2016 S63 AMG had a MSRP of over 180K. Is that the S class they are referring too, or is it the base 4 door with no options that's less than 100K? I think the final price will be a determining factor on the amount of demand. The people that spend 150K or more on a car are not the ones that need a vehicle now to get from point A to point B. We typically have more than one vehicle and can choose when we want to purchase. So with the economic uncertainty given that we are in the middle of a pandemic, I think more folks than usual may decide to wait and not overpay.

One more thing to consider: someone with the exact same spec on their 2016 S63 as mine, but paid the over 180K MSRP has a vehicle that's now worth the same as mine (when I sold it) even though I paid about 29K less. So in essence, his cost of ownership for the same vehicle over the same period would be about 29K higher under similar circumstances.

Interesting times we live in, can't wait to see how this story ends. Will I be the proud owner of a 2022 EQS or a 2024(5) EQS?

How much discount you got on your Tesla S?
Old 09-01-2021, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 250 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by Wassaby

Old 09-01-2021, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wassaby
none, no multiple independent dealers to compete with each other for my business. After my test drive, the rest of the process was all done online on the Tesla website. I just went to the configurator, did a build, and hit purchase (maybe I should have done more research). Actually, I don't know how one would go about making a deal on a Tesla. Maybe things have changed since 2018 when I bought mine, but who do you negotiate with, Elon? Do the folks at the few service centers have authority to negotiate deals for the company?
stealth.pilot (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
none, no multiple independent dealers to compete with each other for my business. After my test drive, the rest of the process was all done online on the Tesla website. I just went to the configurator, did a build, and hit purchase (maybe I should have done more research). Actually, I don't know how one would go about making a deal on a Tesla. Maybe things have changed since 2018 when I bought mine, but who do you negotiate with, Elon? Do the folks at the few service centers have authority to negotiate deals for the company?
I haven't paid attention on Tesla discounts in a long time, since I decided awhile ago that we probably wouldn't get another Tesla (we have a 2016 Model S now). What you say is absolutely true afaik, that there isn't negotiation. However, in the old days, it seemed that Tesla would sometimes have a short term promotion of one kind or another, when it needed to "make its quarter" for Wall Street. For instance, offering unlimited Supercharging for S and X buyers, after they had discontinued making that the norm. And I think they would sometimes discount slightly used models more aggressively if they needed to make the quarter. So in the old days, if I had wanted another Tesla and were not in a rush, I would have waited until the last month of a given quarter. Don't know how things are now, though I imagine parts issue has thrown past practices out the window.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:21 PM

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
Originally Posted by syswei
I haven't paid attention on Tesla discounts in a long time, since I decided awhile ago that we probably wouldn't get another Tesla (we have a 2016 Model S now). What you say is absolutely true afaik, that there isn't negotiation. However, in the old days, it seemed that Tesla would sometimes have a short term promotion of one kind or another, when it needed to "make its quarter" for Wall Street. For instance, offering unlimited Supercharging for S and X buyers, after they had discontinued making that the norm. And I think they would sometimes discount slightly used models more aggressively if they needed to make the quarter. So in the old days, if I had wanted another Tesla and were not in a rush, I would have waited until the last month of a given quarter. Don't know how things are now, though I imagine parts issue has thrown past practices out the window.
I believe Tesla is still doing promotions. My nephew bought a model Y in the late winter (January or February) and they had a promotion to buy before quarter end and got the autopilot (10k) free and 2 years of supercharging for free.
syswei (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Radman991
I believe Tesla is still doing promotions. My nephew bought a model Y in the late winter (January or February) and they had a promotion to buy before quarter end and got the autopilot (10k) free and 2 years of supercharging for free.
Back in 2018, they were offering free supercharging for life on a model S (life of your ownership of the vehicle). It turns out that it was not as big of an advantage as I originally thought. I haven't done any long distant trips in my Tesla so I normally just charge at home. Its not really worth the time, effort, and potential battery degradation to supercharge often when you only drive about 40-50 miles per day (before COVID). On the rare instances I want to supercharge, I will normally avoid charging at home for several days just so I can be relatively low on charge. My wife and I will then have a mini date night at the supercharger near the Sheets gas station with Italian subs from Sheets while watching a Netflix movie in the car. They call me Mr. Big Spender, I spare no expense on date night.
Radman991 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
New Mercedes-EQ Teaser. Looks like a possible AMG EQS in the right corner. Top left is an EQS Maybach SUV, and the lower car is the EQE.

The following 2 users liked this post by js_cls:
syswei (09-01-2021), Wassaby (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 06:29 PM

Received 247 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 E400W4 EU Delivery 1999 E320 2022 E53 COUPE
You should have waited 3 years to get a better price for your Model S
Old 09-01-2021, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by js_cls
New Mercedes-EQ Teaser. Looks like a possible AMG EQS in the right corner. Top left is an EQS Maybach SUV, and the lower car is the EQE.
Wow, I'm impressed with your ability to distinguish between them. They all look like the same to me. Where was this posted?
Old 09-01-2021, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Wow, I'm impressed with your ability to distinguish between them. They all look like the same to me. Where was this posted?
Insider on Instagram posted this, I could not find it elsewhere. The Maybach has the chrome bumper trim and dish wheels if you look closely, and the EQE does not feature a lightbar like the EQS. I can't tell if the EQS is an AMG model, but with the recent announcement of the AMG GT4D 63S E-Performance (world's longest name) as well as the official MB IAA website saying "EQ @ Mercedes-AMG" for one of four models being revealed, I believe that would make the most sense.

Mercedes-Benz @ IAA MOBILITY 2021

Here is the insider's instagram: https://www.instagram.com/liucunyi_starandcar/
Old 09-01-2021, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 850 Likes on 544 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Insider on Instagram posted this, I could not find it elsewhere. The Maybach has the chrome bumper trim and dish wheels if you look closely, and the EQE does not feature a lightbar like the EQS. I can't tell if the EQS is an AMG model, but with the recent announcement of the AMG GT4D 63S E-Performance (world's longest name) as well as the official MB IAA website saying "EQ @ Mercedes-AMG" for one of four models being revealed, I believe that would make the most sense.

Mercedes-Benz @ IAA MOBILITY 2021

Here is the insider's instagram: https://www.instagram.com/liucunyi_starandcar/
Although the wheels look a bit narrow for an AMG model.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,011 Likes on 592 Posts
N/A
EQS 53 leaked
syswei (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the pic. Unfortunately, the video is private.
kp117 (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Apparently the rumor is that we will see an AMG EQS revealed along side the EQS SUV and EQE tomorrow. I am not sure I believe that, but I do hope we see it tomorrow.
Any way... on to speculation...
There has already been so sill comparison between the EQS and the Tesla Model S plaid but the AMG has to at least compete with the Model S plaid or IMO it will be a failure. It doesn't have to beat the Plaid but if its not even close then AMG has failed IMO.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Eaton
The grill and wheels look awful. On a car that is very controversial, they need to be adding elements that help its looks, not make them worse. Guess we'll be seeing more when IAA happens this week.
kp117 (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
Apparently the rumor is that we will see an AMG EQS revealed along side the EQS SUV and EQE tomorrow. I am not sure I believe that, but I do hope we see it tomorrow.
Any way... on to speculation...
There has already been so sill comparison between the EQS and the Tesla Model S plaid but the AMG has to at least compete with the Model S plaid or IMO it will be a failure. It doesn't have to beat the Plaid but if its not even close then AMG has failed IMO.
It will be the EQS 53, as the leaked image is for a YouTube video that will be premiering on September 5th, which is when IAA is. RBR has already said that press got advance access for filming of the cars premiering.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
It will be the EQS 53, as the leaked image is for a YouTube video that will be premiering on September 5th, which is when IAA is. RBR has already said that press got advance access for filming of the cars premiering.
EQS 53? So does that mean that there will be a more powerful EQS 63 to be revealed later?
Old 09-04-2021, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
EQS 53? So does that mean that there will be a more powerful EQS 63 to be revealed later?
While not confirmed, I would imagine that will eventually happen within the first 2-years of production.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not sure where to put an article like this, it is along the lines of "things to come" in EV-land, 3x the power density of existing electric motors...

Acquired by Mercedes-Benz, YASA’s revolutionary electric motor is set for big things
Old 09-04-2021, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,028 Likes on 745 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
The ad seemed to imply that the EQS incorporated this design which I don't believe is the case.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I know this is the EQS thread, however I am very curious to hear any opinions from those who like and are possibly ordering an EQS what their thoughts on the new EQE are. I think the EQE wears the design language better due to the tidier and more "compact" dimensions, and it surprisingly features many EQS features such as the gorgeous Hyperscreen, Auto-Doors, as well as 4.5 and 10 degree steering (all of these of course will likely change based on chip availability). Now it doesn't have as much power (at the moment 350 is the only trim), space (normal trunk vs hatch) or range as the EQS, however it does feature AWD on the base trim (EQS only offers AWD on 580's), and still a healthy 400 miles WLTP range, at of course a much cheaper (although not announced) price.

@stealth.pilot @avilent @Soulman @Radman991 @JoeMa

The following 2 users liked this post by js_cls:
Soulman (09-06-2021), syswei (09-06-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EQS news & rumors