EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Daimler Design Boss Says Electrification Will Kill The Traditional [3-box] Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Daimler Design Boss Says Electrification Will Kill The Traditional [3-box] Sedan

“Electrification will kill the three-box sedan for several reasons,” Gorden Wagener told TopGear during the Munich motor show. “Aero is one. Secondly, with a six-inch battery pack a three-box sedan simply doesn’t look good, it looks s***. You have to do something that visually digests the height....

"That’s why we came up with that bold design with the EQ models, because it looks stretched, it looks stylish. So that [electrification] will change the proportions of cars."

(source motor1 article)

Even though I'm personally likely to buy an EQS, I still don't like the exterior as compared to the W223.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd say he's right to a degree. Even Tesla's Model 3 and S are, to some degree, based on giving people what they expect in car design, not what 'naturally' flows from having a low-slung battery and relatively tiny electric motors. The current crop of Mercedes EVs may not be conventionally stylish, but they're more in line with what EV tech dictates. That and I doubt an EQS owner will be crying when they get that extra range from the aerodynamic design.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:32 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 GLE43, 2013 Jeep Wrangler
It looks kind of like the coupe version of a Mercedes SUV...

Last edited by gle43FL; 09-09-2021 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
That is BS! Compare the Taycan and the Audi GT to the unsightly design of the EQS and EQE. It can be done… MB just were stupid and decided to go for the stupid ugly “One Bow” design.
Where is the “One Bow’ design for the EQS SUV? What is that MB? It wouldn’t work in a SUV? No $h!t!?! It doesn’t work in the sedan either!
The following users liked this post:
njwatkins1 (09-29-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 02:29 PM

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Range Rover Land Rover
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
That is BS! Compare the Taycan and the Audi GT to the unsightly design of the EQS and EQE. It can be done… MB just were stupid and decided to go for the stupid ugly “One Bow” design.
Where is the “One Bow’ design for the EQS SUV? What is that MB? It wouldn’t work in a SUV? No $h!t!?! It doesn’t work in the sedan either!
Yeah! Bring back the "Vision"!
The following users liked this post:
syswei (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,341 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Don’t care for the on bow design whatsoever but the info is correct. The Taycan makes for a poor EV apart from the performance. It is a very traditional design for people to get used to an EV with room for an engine that doesn’t exist.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,028 Likes on 745 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I agree about the looks but I respect Mercedes for adhering to the form follows function credo. They were going for range. The difference in the Cd is worth about 5% at 70 MPH
Old 09-11-2021, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I agree about the looks but I respect Mercedes for adhering to the form follows function credo. They were going for range. The difference in the Cd is worth about 5% at 70 MPH
They were going for range, I agree, but I'm not sure that was the best choice, at least at the high end of the MB line, meaning the EQS. Most families that can afford an EQS are multi-car families, and if range is an issue can have an ICE or hybrid in addition to their EV. I would rather they had given up 3-5% of range if it meant getting something significantly prettier, as in the Vision. Just imo.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
He's not wrong in a sense, the design does benefit from smoother aero, and even in regular sedans (non-EV's) the three-box sedan has been slowly being changed into a more sleek, almost "fastback" design with a very short and smooth rear end that is similar to that of a coupe or four-door coupe. We are in a transitionary period, with technology only getting better and advancing quickly we will be getting better EV's in the future, with these simply being the first generation of EV's. With range being the primary concern for EV's at the moment, I guess they wanted to take the chance in order to boast a competitive edge, and range is one area that the EQS really does excel at more than its competition. My thought process is maybe once the battery and EV technology has advanced enough after this transition period, maybe so that long ranges are easy to achieve and better to manage, maybe then the design will become more traditional (or retro) by then.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
He's full of ****. Audi, Porsche, Tesla aren't having a problem with it.

M
Old 09-15-2021, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by js_cls
He's not wrong in a sense, the design does benefit from smoother aero, and even in regular sedans (non-EV's) the three-box sedan has been slowly being changed into a more sleek, almost "fastback" design with a very short and smooth rear end that is similar to that of a coupe or four-door coupe. We are in a transitionary period, with technology only getting better and advancing quickly we will be getting better EV's in the future, with these simply being the first generation of EV's. With range being the primary concern for EV's at the moment, I guess they wanted to take the chance in order to boast a competitive edge, and range is one area that the EQS really does excel at more than its competition. My thought process is maybe once the battery and EV technology has advanced enough after this transition period, maybe so that long ranges are easy to achieve and better to manage, maybe then the design will become more traditional (or retro) by then.
Yeah designs are getting swoopier, that is the total opposite of what he was complaining about with cars having to get taller to hide batteries. So no he isn't right, he's actually wrong, like totally. The new Audi and Porsche EVs sedans are as slick as anything on the road.

M
Old 09-15-2021, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Yeah designs are getting swoopier, that is the total opposite of what he was complaining about with cars having to get taller to hide batteries. So no he isn't right, he's actually wrong, like totally. The new Audi and Porsche EVs sedans are as slick as anything on the road.

M
Only part I said he isn't wrong about is the aero. The biggest benefit of the EQS' design is the aerodynamics, I have no comment on height or batteries. Everything else in my comment is mainly my own commentary on design and what I have noticed in the car industry lately and my predictions.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,028 Likes on 745 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Germancar1

M
Taycan has a Cd of 0.22 vs 0.20 for the EQS