EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Mercedes to continue EVA2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2024, 06:32 AM

Received 376 Likes on 231 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Fully agree. Nonetheless the sales stats do look good for Mercedes at least YTD. While BMW has more EV sales they benefit from being present in the compact sedan segment with the i4. When you look at the iX and i7, Mercedes has a very large share advantage.

That said the data also suggests that BMW has a better strategy because they can probably electrify more of their line up with less capex, and therefore win more overall share.

https://www.coxautoinc.com/wp-conten...les-Report.pdf
Also BMW may benefit from being at this longer. The i3/i8 came out in 2014. I had two i3's, and they were amazing cars right out of the box. Never had a problem with either one...not even an electric glitch. Amazing first effort. Due to that being a beloved (yes quirky also) car, I could see those owners moving up to BMW's next gen. BMW may have captured/retained customers from their early EV efforts without needing to convince new customers to buy their product. I know MB had the B class, but that was small numbers and a half hearted effort. Just a theory.
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,028 Likes on 745 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by nath_h
Also BMW may benefit from being at this longer. The i3/i8 came out in 2014. I had two i3's, and they were amazing cars right out of the box. Never had a problem with either one...not even an electric glitch. Amazing first effort. Due to that being a beloved (yes quirky also) car, I could see those owners moving up to BMW's next gen. BMW may have captured/retained customers from their early EV efforts without needing to convince new customers to buy their product. I know MB had the B class, but that was small numbers and a half hearted effort. Just a theory.
That is how it works.
Old 09-02-2024, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,860 Likes on 1,840 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by ehildum
They both have the problem that their dealer networks hate the EV lines. With maintenance only every two years, the hit to the service revenue, which is where most US dealers make their money, is substantial. No A or B service every six months, and the A and B services for the EQ platform basically amount to change the brake fluid and cabin air filters. Regenerative braking wipes out the brake pad and rotor replacements every couple of years.
I don't know that I agree with that. The service folks hate them, but the dealers around here have big EQ marketing etc.

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Anybody that thinks the I7 looks better than this car needs to see an optometrist
And I feel the same way in the opposite direction. That car to me looks like a $50k car, its soft, FWD looking, shocking they are as expensive as they are. Everybody has different tastes, but sales in the end are what matters and the EQS especially just does not sell well. Personally I think the styling os a huge part of that. My dealer no longer even has any EQS sedans in inventory, they are special order or dealer trade only because they are so hard to sell.

Last edited by SW20S; 09-02-2024 at 11:28 AM.
HBerman (09-02-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,028 Likes on 745 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
BMW has sold lot's of ugly cars over the years.
Old 09-03-2024, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
BMW has sold lot's of ugly cars over the years.
That means not everybody agrees they are ugly.
HBerman (09-03-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 848 Likes on 543 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Well it’s definitely official.

https://www.autoblog.com/2024/09/04/...-name-by-2030/
Old 09-05-2024, 12:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
ML 350, EQE Sedan
Originally Posted by MB37
C&D says the Taycan is the #2 "luxury" EV. I wonder how people would take that as gospel and says the EQS is #11 in luxury EV of the same article, and that's the gospel too. Some auto journalism have gone down the toilet. Simply put, the article is employing a cognitive bias known as association fallacy. Don't fall for it because it will be confirmation bias that you are employing.

As for sales figure, let's compare i7 to EQS in the USA for 2023:
In 2023, ~6,688 EQS sedan vehicles were sold. (https://media.mbusa.com/releases/mer...-sales-q4-2023). How many i7's were sold in 2023?
A total of 10,811 7 series were sold in 2023 (https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US). Assume that 43% of the 7 series sold were i7, (https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/02/15/b...-series-sales/), that would only be 4,648 i7 sold compared to 6,688 EQS sedans.

However, I dug a little deeper and found this site https://www.chinamobil.ru/eng/cars/bmw/i7/sales_usa/ which said only 3,288 i7 were sold. Not sure how reliable these data are since BMW don't seemed to published i7 data that I could find. I love to have someone give me more reliable data on the i7 sales figure for 2023. So far, EQS sedan still outsold i7 in 2023 until further data shows otherwise.
You all need to remember that most of the auto journals sell their awards to the highest bidder. Mercedes just did not put the marketing dollars into the trade rags, hence the better reviews for BMW, etc. There are not that many independent reviewers, and most of the ones that exist don't rate cars the way enthusiast want, focusing instead on value, reliability, and cost to repair - things people buying cars for transportation and daily use are interested in.

When it comes to things like body style, that is so subjective there is no point in even discussing it. Mercedes was competing with Lucid to make the most aerodynamic car, so physics is what drives the shape of the EQE and EQS sedans and they do win on that measure, being the slipperiest cars out there. If you like the physics, then it is a great design. If you want something else, then those looks are going to be disappointing.
The following 3 users liked this post by ehildum:
LastOne (09-05-2024), MB37 (09-06-2024), stealth.pilot (09-06-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
You all need to remember that most of the auto journals sell their awards to the highest bidder. Mercedes just did not put the marketing dollars into the trade rags, hence the better reviews for BMW, etc. There are not that many independent reviewers, and most of the ones that exist don't rate cars the way enthusiast want, focusing instead on value, reliability, and cost to repair - things people buying cars for transportation and daily use are interested in..
If that was true then why did the same magazine rate the S Class number one in large luxury sedans? (the answer is, its not true)

Old 09-06-2024, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 848 Likes on 543 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
You all need to remember that most of the auto journals sell their awards to the highest bidder. Mercedes just did not put the marketing dollars into the trade rags, hence the better reviews for BMW, etc. There are not that many independent reviewers, and most of the ones that exist don't rate cars the way enthusiast want, focusing instead on value, reliability, and cost to repair - things people buying cars for transportation and daily use are interested in.

When it comes to things like body style, that is so subjective there is no point in even discussing it. Mercedes was competing with Lucid to make the most aerodynamic car, so physics is what drives the shape of the EQE and EQS sedans and they do win on that measure, being the slipperiest cars out there. If you like the physics, then it is a great design. If you want something else, then those looks are going to be disappointing.
The other issue with Car Reviewers is they gravitate to the newest thing. The EQS received rave reviews from the press when it came out, the BMW came out later and got rave reviews as well. The issue here is they just value novelty because they drive so many cars they get bored. We have to live with these cars and so small things which may not matter to a reviewer - like which car has better range, or which car has more livable balance of ride quality and performance, or which car has a more usable user interface - these things tend not to weigh much to a reviewer, but they weight a lot to an actual buyer.
MBNUT1 (09-07-2024)