AT and MT tire alternatives for 2019 G550 - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices
G-Class (W460, W461, W463) 1980-Present: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G 250, G 300, G 300 DT, G 320, G 500, G55 AMG

AT and MT tire alternatives for 2019 G550

 
Old 10-29-2018, 11:05 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 95
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
G550
AT and MT tire alternatives for 2019 G550

So my G550 should be here this week. In the last 6 months of waiting, I have researched alternative tire choices for the G550. Although, I did order the AMG Line package, which includes 20" rims, I would still like some decent all-terrain or mud-terrain tires. MT tires would look like "the business", but are not practical; they wear quickly, handle poorly, are noisy as hell and do not meet the speed rating.

That all said, I have had excellent service from the below Yokohama AT tire, on a half ton truck and they are one of the only AT tires with at least an "H" speed rating. While I don't plan on cruising at triple digit speeds too often, I always want that saftey factor. Also, the higher speed rating normally means a higher quality tire. The ones on our truck only required a few ounces to balance, while the original Bridgstone tires required more than 5 times as much!

​​​​​​Let me know your thoughts on these tires. You would have to go from 50 to 55 on the profile, but this would make almost no difference on the speedo. I am not sure if the dealer can update the tire size on the new G, but they should be able to soon enough...

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

Any other recommendations for the forum?
SierraFoxtrot is offline  
Old 10-29-2018, 11:39 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Holson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 1,003
Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
2018 G550
GFG had put various AT/MTs on their G500

** can't post link to IG anymore, check out Daniel's channel @danielwiesel/

it looks like (from Daniel's comment) that GFG put 18 in wheels
Holson is offline  
Old 10-30-2018, 12:12 AM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 95
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by Holson View Post
GFG had put various AT/MTs on their G500

** can't post link to IG anymore, check out Daniel's channel @danielwiesel/

it looks like (from Daniel's comment) that GFG put 18 in wheels
Yea, the options open up for the 18" rims...
SierraFoxtrot is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 05:13 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
dunderhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 395
Thanked 108 Times in 73 Posts
19 G550, 19 X3
Originally Posted by SierraFoxtrot View Post
So my G550 should be here this week. In the last 6 months of waiting, I have researched alternative tire choices for the G550. Although, I did order the AMG Line package, which includes 20" rims, I would still like some decent all-terrain or mud-terrain tires. MT tires would look like "the business", but are not practical; they wear quickly, handle poorly, are noisy as hell and do not meet the speed rating.

That all said, I have had excellent service from the below Yokohama AT tire, on a half ton truck and they are one of the only AT tires with at least an "H" speed rating. While I don't plan on cruising at triple digit speeds too often, I always want that saftey factor. Also, the higher speed rating normally means a higher quality tire. The ones on our truck only required a few ounces to balance, while the original Bridgstone tires required more than 5 times as much!

​​​​​​Let me know your thoughts on these tires. You would have to go from 50 to 55 on the profile, but this would make almost no difference on the speedo. I am not sure if the dealer can update the tire size on the new G, but they should be able to soon enough...

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

Any other recommendations for the forum?
I finally decided on my tires: General Grabber A/T X size 275/55R20. These are only 1" taller and lifts the max height of the G by 1/2" to 6' 6" even. The squareness of the tread pattern yields an extra half inch of width. German speedometers are notorious for being two mph higher than actual, so no worries due to the extra circumference.

Since the stock spare is already 0.5" smaller than the stock tires, I decided to get a 245/60R20 Cooper Discoverer SRX (just a cheap tire). This is about 0.2" smaller than the Grabber, but it will always be this diameter while the Grabber will get smaller with time. Given the apparent narrowness of the tire cover, I suspect the 245 width tire will be a better fit within the cover. Although, I won't know for sure until after installation.


General Grabber A/T X

I plan hold onto the stock Pirellis until someone doing a lease turn-in needs a fresh set of tires. Unless someone wants them now on the cheap.

Last edited by dunderhi; 11-07-2018 at 07:44 PM. Reason: oops
dunderhi is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 09:23 PM
  #5  
Member
 
Sarlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 244
Thanked 44 Times in 34 Posts
2014 ML63 2015 G550 & (2) 2019 G550s
What about the BF Goodrich A/T KO2s Here's some 275/55/20s on an older Gwag


Sarlox is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 10:22 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
dunderhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 395
Thanked 108 Times in 73 Posts
19 G550, 19 X3
Originally Posted by Sarlox View Post
What about the BF Goodrich A/T KO2s Here's some 275/55/20s on an older
The Goodrich K02 was in my top three, but based on reviews that read/watched the A/TX seemed a little bit better for my likely heavy road usage with occasional off-road/snow activities. The K02 is certainly highly rated and you probably canít go wrong with that tire.
dunderhi is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to dunderhi For This Useful Post:
Sarlox (11-08-2018)
Old 01-17-2019, 09:44 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 95
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
G550
I finally installed some "real" tires on my G. I had narrowed my choice Between the Yokohama Geolandar G015 and Falken Wildpeak AT3W. The more agressive AT3W won out, in 275/55r20 117T XL. This size is the "safe" choice given the differences in tire specifications, when you move to a LT tire, like the 285/55r20. In 275/55r20, the AT3W has a 6 ply sidewall, which is better than most p/e tires, which are 2ply. They have a 117 load range vs. the 113 for the stock tires and have a T speed rating (up to118mph). I will let you all know how they perform, as I drive more. Here are some picks.









SierraFoxtrot is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to SierraFoxtrot For This Useful Post:
Sarlox (01-19-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 05:48 PM
  #8  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by SierraFoxtrot View Post
So my G550 should be here this week. In the last 6 months of waiting, I have researched alternative tire choices for the G550. Although, I did order the AMG Line package, which includes 20" rims, I would still like some decent all-terrain or mud-terrain tires. MT tires would look like "the business", but are not practical; they wear quickly, handle poorly, are noisy as hell and do not meet the speed rating.

That all said, I have had excellent service from the below Yokohama AT tire, on a half ton truck and they are one of the only AT tires with at least an "H" speed rating. While I don't plan on cruising at triple digit speeds too often, I always want that saftey factor. Also, the higher speed rating normally means a higher quality tire. The ones on our truck only required a few ounces to balance, while the original Bridgstone tires required more than 5 times as much!

​​​​​​Let me know your thoughts on these tires. You would have to go from 50 to 55 on the profile, but this would make almost no difference on the speedo. I am not sure if the dealer can update the tire size on the new G, but they should be able to soon enough...

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

Any other recommendations for the forum?
I have been running Falkens for a few years and they work great in the snow. Tread is still like new.

FALKEN
WILDPEAK A/T3W
265 /65 R18 114T SL RBL
55,000 mile warranty
Bobl88 is offline  
Old 02-14-2019, 07:24 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
2014 GL450, 2019 G63 Edition 1
2019 G63 ED1 came with Eagle F1 295/40/R22. I plan on keeping the AMG red stripe 22 in rims. I live in Houston and while I donít travel north in snow I am more concerned with wet weather traction as my G is for daily commuting. Donít plan on going ridge climbing anytime soon but do love the look of the more aggressive look. Trying to find the balance of the aggressive look, wet weather traction and quiet ride. Any suggestions of tire upgrades would be appreciated. Also just trying to find the pics in one place on this forum has been cumbersome. So any pics could help tremendously. Thanks in advance.
WoodlandsGuy is offline  
Old 02-14-2019, 08:20 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 16
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
G Wagon
I don’t understand how the height of the vehicle changes. If you go from 19 to 20 inch rims height doesn’t increase there is just less profile rubber on tire. Height should not change at all. Standard height is 1 meter 97 and 6 foot 6 = 198
Eagles Nest is offline  
Old 02-14-2019, 11:18 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
dunderhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 395
Thanked 108 Times in 73 Posts
19 G550, 19 X3
Originally Posted by Eagles Nest View Post
I donít understand how the height of the vehicle changes. If you go from 19 to 20 inch rims height doesnít increase there is just less profile rubber on tire. Height should not change at all. Standard height is 1 meter 97 and 6 foot 6 = 198
The rim size doesnít really matter in determining the vehicle height. The height of the vehicle is only affected when the exterior dismeter of the tire is changed. I went from 275/50R20 to 275/55R20 which has a diameter that is one inch taller. Since the height is only affected from the axle to the ground, my G is a half inch taller.
dunderhi is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to dunderhi For This Useful Post:
Sarlox (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 11:28 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Sarlox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 244
Thanked 44 Times in 34 Posts
2014 ML63 2015 G550 & (2) 2019 G550s
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post


The rim size doesnít really matter in determining the vehicle height. The height of the vehicle is only affected when the exterior dismeter of the tire is changed. I went from 275/50R20 to 275/55R20 which has a diameter that is one inch taller. Since the height is only affected from the axle to the ground, my G is a half inch taller.
But it fits your wheel well area better right? Did you think about going even higher so you get even more tire. In my view, the Gwagon needs that area filled in better.
Sarlox is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 12:40 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
dunderhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 395
Thanked 108 Times in 73 Posts
19 G550, 19 X3
Originally Posted by Sarlox View Post
But it fits your wheel well area better right? Did you think about going even higher so you get even more tire. In my view, the Gwagon needs that area filled in better.
The larger tires definitely look better on the G. I considered going up to 33Ē (vice 31Ē), but I was starting to get nervous about fitting into my garage.
dunderhi is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AT and MT tire alternatives for 2019 G550


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: