21 G63 CEL Already...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 G63
21 G63 CEL Already...

Hello everyone,

I'm new here to the MBWorld, and this isn't exactly the first post I wanted to make about my new purchase. Just about a week ago I was fortunate enough to find my dream spec G63. A brand new car that was not even test driven yet. Just about a few days later with about 100 miles on the dash I get a check engine light. I took the car to the dealer and was told there was an engine misfire in cylinder 2 and 6. This is definitely not the best introduction to the world of AMG. I'm hoping this issue is going to be addressed, but it's a bit concerning that something like this can come about with just 100 miles. I am curious to know if anyone here has experienced something similar. Or if anyone has heard of similar stories. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Bonash911; 07-08-2021 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:01 AM
haa

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonash911
Hello everyone,

I'm new here to the MBWorld, and this isn't exactly the first post I wanted to make about my new purchase. Just about a week ago I was fortunate enough to find my dream spec G63. A brand new car that was not even test driven yet. Just about a few days later with about 100 miles on the dash I get a check engine light. I took the car to the dealer and was told there was an engine misfire in cylinder 2 and 6. This is definitely not the best introduction to the world of AMG. I'm hoping this issue is going to be addressed, but it's a bit concerning that something like this can come about with just 100 miles. I am curious to know if anyone here has experienced something similar. Or if anyone has heard of similar stories. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
congrats on your new purchase. Not unusual to hear something like that. Could be something as simple as wrong non-premium gas was used to fill your 1st tank. Sounds like they already identified the issue leading to the CEL. Let us know what they find out.
The following users liked this post:
Bonash911 (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 06:24 AM

Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts
2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
Hello everyone,

Thanks
Hi, congratulations on your new G 63! No, I have 1332 miles on my 21 G 63 and haven’t experienced any check engine lights. Please let us know what they say caused it. I did have a software update that caused my display to go blank. I received another software update over the air that corrected the problem. My dealership wasn’t very helpful. I think they filled mine up with regular unleaded when I took delivery, no one could tell me what octane fuel they had in their pump at the dealership. I wouldn’t put it past them to save money and use regular unleaded. I kept topping it off with 93 octane. It ran better and sounded better after I started topping it off, I had water pouring out of my exhaust until I got the octane increased. I took delivery the first of December.

Last edited by Craig B; 07-08-2021 at 06:31 AM.
Bonash911 (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 993 Likes on 760 Posts
G550
Such experiences are the best reason to buy an OBD code reader. Even a loose gas cap will set off the CEL, and you don't want to spend time and $$ at the dealer to remedy such trivia. Cylinder misfires could be more serious, but knowing the code(s) you can ask if driving the vehicle is safe or if it needs flat-bedding.
Bonash911 (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,486 Likes on 981 Posts
No more MB:(
I wouldn't worry about it. Not a big deal, these machines are highly sensitive and complex. Probably one-time issue they will resolve and done.
Bonash911 (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 G63 AMG, 2021 GLC43 AMG, 2020 AMG GTR
I know here in Canada there is a recall that affects a small number of GLC43s and G Wagens involving ignition coils. Misfiring on multiple cylinders is one of the issues identified. Parts are not yet available.
Bonash911 (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 12:22 PM

2021 G63
Thank you all for the replies. The AMG tech at my dealer hasn’t isolated the issue just yet, but I was told more tests would be done today. Will update as soon as I find out.
Old 07-10-2021, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
You will need to be a bit patient - in your situation the "AMG Tech" at the dealership will do the Tests requested in Star - which get uploaded to MB for their Tech Review - then "usually" MBUSA tech will request additional Tests - those then get done next - those get uploaded - and sometime over the next 2-3 days of that - then MBUSA will authorize the replacement parts/service that MBUSA believes will solve the issue.

Yes - there have been "some" coil/injector issues - not a lot - but some. Nowadays - the MBUSA "tech loop" is how MBUSA stays on top of potential issues.
Bonash911 (07-13-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 07:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
G63
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
You will need to be a bit patient - in your situation the "AMG Tech" at the dealership will do the Tests requested in Star - which get uploaded to MB for their Tech Review - then "usually" MBUSA tech will request additional Tests - those then get done next - those get uploaded - and sometime over the next 2-3 days of that - then MBUSA will authorize the replacement parts/service that MBUSA believes will solve the issue.

Yes - there have been "some" coil/injector issues - not a lot - but some. Nowadays - the MBUSA "tech loop" is how MBUSA stays on top of potential issues.
I am in New Zealand with a 21 G63. Had the coolant sensor replaced due to a fault I had previously posted, and got a call from dealer a few days ago that there is a recall for ignition coil. I will be making my way back to the dealer later this month for the recall, until then I have asked my dealer whether I can keep driving and the answer is yes, they said it’s a preventative recall rather than a faulty recall? Who knows……
Old 07-13-2021, 01:34 PM

2021 G63
Hi everyone, wanted to give a quick update on my car. Once again, I appreciate the replies. So I got the car back just a couple of days ago and was told by the AMG technician and service manager that they couldn't identify the source of the misfire. I believe they completed 8 major tests in total (minus the test drive because the car was not broken in yet). Since they couldn't find the source of the problem, the AMG tech just filled the car up with new gas. I was told to just drive the car around town and break it in to see if another misfire/CEL is reported (after about 100 more miles, so far nothing yet - thankfully). But I found out something interesting. Another G63 at this dealer (where I serviced my car) had the same exact problem 2 days after it was purchased. Another G at a different dealer had also the same issue. Not sure if this is coincidental or if there's clearly something wrong here.

Last edited by Bonash911; 07-13-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 993 Likes on 760 Posts
G550
Hi everyone, wanted to give a quick update on my car. Once again, I appreciate the replies. So I got the car back just a couple of days ago and was told by the AMG technician and service manager that they couldn't identify the source of the misfire. I believe they completed 8 major tests in total (minus the test drive because the car was not broken in yet). Since they couldn't find the source of the problem, the AMG tech just filled the car up with new gas. I was told to just drive the car around town and break it in to see if another misfire/CEL is reported (after about 100 more miles, so far nothing yet - thankfully). But I found out something interesting. Another G63 at this dealer (where I serviced my car) had the same exact problem 2 days after it was purchased. Another G at a different dealer had also the same issue. Not sure if this is coincidental or if there's clearly something wrong here.
Were these misfiring vehicles by any chance among those that were in VPC purgatory for 8 weeks earlier this year? Assuming they had only enough fuel in their tanks to survive the "RO-RO" expedition from Graz to the dealership, they could have experienced some fuel tank condensation while sitting around in an oscillating climate, and a bit of water in the fuel would induce a misfire. Buy a bottle of Heet and add it to your fuel tank. If it's water, Heet will help flush it through the fuel system. Or if your local fuel stations pump ethanol blends, this should accomplish the same after a tankful or two.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:47 PM

Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts
2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
Originally Posted by streborx
Were these misfiring vehicles by any chance among those that were in VPC purgatory for 8 weeks earlier this year? Assuming they had only enough fuel in their tanks to survive the "RO-RO" expedition from Graz to the dealership, they could have experienced some fuel tank condensation while sitting around in an oscillating climate, and a bit of water in the fuel would induce a misfire. Buy a bottle of Heet and add it to your fuel tank. If it's water, Heet will help flush it through the fuel system. Or if your local fuel stations pump ethanol blends, this should accomplish the same after a tankful or two.
Be careful not to put E 85 in. Most fuel here has 10 percent ethanol. I myself wouldn’t use Heet in any of my vehicles.