G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

G63 Help will Spec….

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 11:06 PM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
2021 G550, BMW X5M, 2020 Toyota Supra LE
G63 Help with Spec….

I got my 21’ G550 in March or so and in the few months I have had it I am already sold on getting a G63.

Anyway, I need to submit my build and this is what I came up with. I realize some aspects are subjective, but wondering on the options of anyone has other recommendations.

One area I am unsure of is the steering wheel. I want a heated wheel. There are some upgraded options, but that have Dinmica (or whatever it is called) and I think it will wear poorly. This is what I was thinking…

Exterior
Designo Diamond White Metallic
20” AMG twin 5 spoke matte black wheels
AMG Night Package Plus (roof/spare in black)

Interior
G Manufaktar Black w/Red Topstitching
Carbon Fiber Trim
G Manufaktar Interior Package Plus
Heated Steering Wheel
carbon fiber heated steering wheel
Nappa Leather Grab Handles

Options
AMG Trail Package
All Season Floor Mats

Any input is appreciated.

(Fyi, I have a good dealership and will be getting at MSRP, but it will likely be a pretty long wait.)

Last edited by 084runnerltd; 07-18-2021 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Fixed title
The following users liked this post:
RaceDeck (07-15-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 11:07 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
e92 ///M3
If its a long wait why even bother speccing it out now, the options are going to change by that time
Old 07-13-2021, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Poofyo101
If its a long wait why even bother speccing it out now, the options are going to change by that time
When I asked what they needed from me they said to submit my build so they can put it in the cue, but they didn’t know how long it would be.

I am sure there will be some minor tweaks, based on new options, but this is what I came up with to submit.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 571 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 G63
Yeah dealers put a build in when they put people in the queue even without an allocation so it makes sense. I have a 2022 build submitted even though it's probably another year until I sniff an allocation. I already have some changes to make but no point bothering the dealer right now.

Build looks great - if heated steering wheel is important then consider just going with basic leather wheel because anything upgraded will limit the parts that are heated I believe.

Trail package is a great choice and one I'm leaning towards for the next go round. I have the night 21's and just ordered mud flaps this week.
084runnerltd (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 07:33 AM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
mclaren 720s
Originally Posted by 084runnerltd
I got my 21’ G550 in March or so and in the few months I have had it I am already sold on getting a G63.

Anyway, I need to submit my build and this is what I came up with. I realize some aspects are subjective, but wondering on the options of anyone has other recommendations.

One area I am unsure of is the steering wheel. I want a heated wheel. There are some upgraded options, but that have Dinmica (or whatever it is called) and I think it will wear poorly. This is what I was thinking…

Exterior

Interior
Metal Weave Trim
Heated Steering Wheel

Options
AMG Trail Package
All Season Floor Mats

(Fyi, I have a good dealership and will be getting at MSRP, but it will likely be a pretty long wait.)
you and i have almost identical spec… love the steering wheel… doesnt look like it wears badly and i have 10k miles on my G63 2020. Oddly, the trail package with the rims look great with the diamond white metallic and the mud guards have saved my bumper from pebbles and rocks and you can barely notice them. only item i would suggest is carbon interior which looks grt with your interior color choice and you can save a bit of money by dropping the leather grab handles.
here is the steering wheel:

Old 07-14-2021, 07:45 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
e92 ///M3
the carbon wheel is nice.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
After only 4 months in a G550, what makes the G63 a "must have"? (Just curious - I've had my G550 for almost 2 years / 10K miles, and am fine with it. Like you, I can keep the G550, pay cash for a G63, and have both in my garage, but I don't anticipate any substantial bump-up in my "happy factor" as a result.)
Old 07-14-2021, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Poofyo101
the carbon wheel is nice.
Originally Posted by spourreza
you and i have almost identical spec… love the steering wheel… doesnt look like it wears badly and i have 10k miles on my G63 2020. Oddly, the trail package with the rims look great with the diamond white metallic and the mud guards have saved my bumper from pebbles and rocks and you can barely notice them. only item i would suggest is carbon interior which looks grt with your interior color choice and you can save a bit of money by dropping the leather grab handles.
here is the steering wheel:

You two convinced me. Carbon wheel and trim added.
spourreza (07-15-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by streborx
After only 4 months in a G550, what makes the G63 a "must have"? (Just curious - I've had my G550 for almost 2 years / 10K miles, and am fine with it. Like you, I can keep the G550, pay cash for a G63, and have both in my garage, but I don't anticipate any substantial bump-up in my "happy factor" as a result.)
Very fair question and of course I am not making the argument that the G63 is more practical or that it makes any economic sense…but here are my reasons.

1). MSRP pricing
2). Because of point #1, it is a long wait
3). I have never owned a car longer than 2yrs (it’s my addiction)
4). More power
5). Adding some new options that I didn’t have on my 550
6). Strong resale/trade of the 550
7). I blame myself for not originally ordering a 63, but the small dealership I work with didn’t think it was attainable in the near future, so I “settled.”

I am not saying the 550 is “settling.” I love it, it has sold me on getting the G63. However, even with a Renntech tune it leaves me thirsting for more.

I understand I shouldn’t buy a tank if I want a sports car, but the G63 seems like a great compromise.

So to answer your question….you only live once, right.
The following 2 users liked this post by 084runnerltd:
spourreza (07-15-2021), taramw9 (08-22-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 G63
The G550 of course is a great vehicle but I do think some dealers purposely stretch out the G63 wait to make those on the fence get a G550 instead or to keep G550 buyers locked in.

Local dealer did that to me--initially I came in wanting a G550 but was considering a G63. I asked what the waits were and was told G550 was 4 months and G63 was "years." When the dealer realized I was set on switching to a G63, their wait time became much shorter, but by then I was already committed elsewhere.
084runnerltd (07-18-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hodog16
The G550 of course is a great vehicle but I do think some dealers purposely stretch out the G63 wait to make those on the fence get a G550 instead or to keep G550 buyers locked in.

Local dealer did that to me--initially I came in wanting a G550 but was considering a G63. I asked what the waits were and was told G550 was 4 months and G63 was "years." When the dealer realized I was set on switching to a G63, their wait time became much shorter, but by then I was already committed elsewhere.
I believe that 100%, heck it worked on me.

I still ended up with a long wait on the 550, about 8-9 months. However, knowing the dealership wouldn’t mess with the MSRP pricing (like other dealers seemed to) it seemed like the right car for me.

But yes, I fully agree with you.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:12 AM

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
G63, G65

Exterior

Interior
Carbon Fiber Trim
Heated Steering Wheel
carbon fiber heated steering wheel

Options
AMG Trail Package
All Season Floor Mats

As you already stated, everyone's opinion on the options are subjective, but I think you have made some nice choices. If heated steering wheel is a must, then you will miss out on the drive mode selector on the wheel. For my wife, who has had a heated G steering wheel in all her Gs for the past 15 years, losing the drive mode selector was a deal breaker. She finds she uses that function every time she drives the truck, so the occasional use of the heated steering wheel became less important. Mind you, we live in Texas, so it doesn't get cold often enough for it to matter that much (eventhough my wife says it's cold in the house when the AC is running the middle of summer, and I'm sweating...).

I'm not sure what advantages you will get from the trail package, but if you aren't going to modify the suspension from stock then it might be worthwhile to have. My preference is non-trail package, but I lift every G wagon we get. The trail package would add complexity to lifting it, and as far as I know for now, most suspension lifts aren't compatable with the Trail Package.

We have another G63 on order, and we are going with Diamond White Metallic as well. We've had Polar White in the past, and it looks nice, but the Diamond White has a really nice metallic depth to it. We are also not going to go with the night package (black roof, etc.), so she wanted something that would be a little different than Polar White. If we were going with the night package (and black wheels) I think we might lean more to the Polar White, but honestly with the wheels you are selecting, the night package, and the black interior I think the Diamond White will still look really sharp.

I think you have laid out good reasons for switching to the G63 from the 550. As you said, you only live once!
Old 07-15-2021, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by The Butcher
We are also not going to go with the night package (black roof, etc.), so she wanted something that would be a little different than Polar White.
I can't imagine any more certain deal breaker in Texas than a vehicle with a black roof. Is a black roof now standard with the night package? Even UPS paints its brown delivery truck roofs white to cut its driver mortality rates.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:51 AM

G63, G65
I can't imagine any more certain deal breaker in Texas than a vehicle with a black roof. Is a black roof now standard with the night package? Even UPS paints its brown delivery truck roofs white to cut its driver mortality rates.
Pretty sure '21 order guide mandated black roof with Night Package, but if I recall correctly the '22 DOG allows Night Package (no black roof), or Night Package Plus (Black roof). Black cars in Texas are pretty dang warm if they are left out in the sun...
Old 07-18-2021, 05:41 PM

As you already stated, everyone's opinion on the options are subjective, but I think you have made some nice choices. If heated steering wheel is a must, then you will miss out on the drive mode selector on the wheel. For my wife, who has had a heated G steering wheel in all her Gs for the past 15 years, losing the drive mode selector was a deal breaker. She finds she uses that function every time she drives the truck, so the occasional use of the heated steering wheel became less important. Mind you, we live in Texas, so it doesn't get cold often enough for it to matter that much (eventhough my wife says it's cold in the house when the AC is running the middle of summer, and I'm sweating...).

I'm not sure what advantages you will get from the trail package, but if you aren't going to modify the suspension from stock then it might be worthwhile to have. My preference is non-trail package, but I lift every G wagon we get. The trail package would add complexity to lifting it, and as far as I know for now, most suspension lifts aren't compatable with the Trail Package.

We have another G63 on order, and we are going with Diamond White Metallic as well. We've had Polar White in the past, and it looks nice, but the Diamond White has a really nice metallic depth to it. We are also not going to go with the night package (black roof, etc.), so she wanted something that would be a little different than Polar White. If we were going with the night package (and black wheels) I think we might lean more to the Polar White, but honestly with the wheels you are selecting, the night package, and the black interior I think the Diamond White will still look really sharp.

I think you have laid out good reasons for switching to the G63 from the 550. As you said, you only live once!
1). Now you have me second guessing the heated steering wheel. Without it, you get a knob for drive mode and a knob for active exhaust?

I am in a cold area of the country…the border of Canada, Montana, and North Dakota. However, many of my previous cars didn’t have a heated wheel and somehow I lived with it.

Do you have a pic of yours?

2). I do some moderate off-roading and like that they give you a decent tire, better off-road suspension settings, etc…

Because it will be new, I likely wouldn’t do crazy off-roading for many years….so I am not worried about not being able to lift it.

I lifted my prior G500, but at that time it was 12yrs old.

(I wish they expanded a little more on the trail package. It states something like “black skidplate.” I wonder of that is a skid plate that doesn’t come with other Gs or they just paint it black…
Old 07-18-2021, 05:43 PM

Fear not, I am 1600 miles straight north of Texas.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 G63
Looking at the configurator the trail package makes the front skid plate (right under the bull bar) black like in the night package.

The amg buttons look like this. The right selector has a bezel you turn that changes all the drive modes (Comfort, individual, sport, sport+, etc).

The left selector you can push on the icons to change what it toggles and then use the toggle to turn on or off. Basically it duplicates the things on the center console - exhaust, auto start/stop, manual shifter, suspension, etc.

Everything it offers is a duplication but I like having them and use it every drive to switch between comfort and sport+ and before parking I go back to comfort and turn auto start/stop off.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:51 PM

Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts
2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
I live in the Midwest and have the carbon fiber heated steering wheel. I don’t care that I don’t have the extra buttons on the steering wheel.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:09 PM

A little off topic..but are the speaker grills and door lock switches still plastic in the G63?

When I ordered my 550, I thought they were aluminum…
Old 07-18-2021, 08:32 PM

A little off topic..but are the speaker grills and door lock switches still plastic in the G63?

When I ordered my 550, I thought they were aluminum…
Window switches and door locks feel like plastic, the speaker grills feel like metal. 21 G 63.

Last edited by Craig B; 07-19-2021 at 06:33 AM.
084runnerltd (07-21-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 09:53 AM

G63, G65
1). Now you have me second guessing the heated steering wheel. Without it, you get a knob for drive mode and a knob for active exhaust?

I am in a cold area of the country…the border of Canada, Montana, and North Dakota. However, many of my previous cars didn’t have a heated wheel and somehow I lived with it.

Do you have a pic of yours?

2). I do some moderate off-roading and like that they give you a decent tire, better off-road suspension settings, etc…

Because it will be new, I likely wouldn’t do crazy off-roading for many years….so I am not worried about not being able to lift it.

I lifted my prior G500, but at that time it was 12yrs old.

(I wish they expanded a little more on the trail package. It states something like “black skidplate.” I wonder of that is a skid plate that doesn’t come with other Gs or they just paint it black…
Hodog posted the info and pic of the steering wheel selectors. Obviously personal choice if you want to get the heated steering wheel, but as I mentioned my wife uses the drive mode selector knob every time she gets in the truck. It opens the exhaust valves, makes the response more sporty, and disables the annoying start/stop function when you stop at stoplights. You would get a good amount of use out of the heated steering wheel given where you are located, so you'll have to make the choice on that one.

Many people like the trail package, so it makes sense for you to order it if you are going to do some off-roading and won't be lifting the truck at all. I do the suspension mods for looks, so if you aren't interested in changing the look of the truck then factory options are probably the best bet.

Here are a couple of pics. Notice the steering wheel selector is on S+ which is how she always drives it:

The following 3 users liked this post by The Butcher:
084runnerltd (07-21-2021), FatTony001 (07-21-2021), Hodog16 (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 11:32 AM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
mclaren 720s
Hodog posted the info and pic of the steering wheel selectors. Obviously personal choice if you want to get the heated steering wheel, but as I mentioned my wife uses the drive mode selector knob every time she gets in the truck. It opens the exhaust valves, makes the response more sporty, and disables the annoying start/stop function when you stop at stoplights. You would get a good amount of use out of the heated steering wheel given where you are located, so you'll have to make the choice on that one.

Many people like the trail package, so it makes sense for you to order it if you are going to do some off-roading and won't be lifting the truck at all. I do the suspension mods for looks, so if you aren't interested in changing the look of the truck then factory options are probably the best bet.

Here are a couple of pics. Notice the steering wheel selector is on S+ which is how she always drives it:

i like the trail package on my 63 because it makes Comfort mode feel very comfortable… so when you put it in sport + , you feel a completely different personality… also love the mud flaps and rims… plus you get a black undercarriage… i don't off-road but think what you get from trail package is a steal vs what it costs.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
I'm surprised MB doesn't simply relocate the steering wheel heater switch to the cluster with LKA and Parktronic where there are switch vacancies (above the headlight control switch). Everything is controlled from an ECU, so it would seem to be merely a software revision. Maybe the heated SW is not popular enough to justify the effort.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:03 PM

I'm surprised MB doesn't simply relocate the steering wheel heater switch to the cluster with LKA and Parktronic where there are switch vacancies (above the headlight control switch). Everything is controlled from an ECU, so it would seem to be merely a software revision. Maybe the heated SW is not popular enough to justify the effort.
the switch for the heated wheel isn’t located on the steering wheel, it’s located on a stalk to the left of the wheel.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Craig B
the switch for the heated wheel isn’t located on the steering wheel, it’s located on a stalk to the left of the wheel.
Yes, I understand. But this doesn't prevent MB from moving any switch from an existing location to a new location. You can plug in an OBDII reader and make your windows go up and down with it -- all brought to you through the miracle of software and CAN buses.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G63 Help will Spec….