G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Driver’s window wind noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 01:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 G63
Driver’s window wind noise

My 2021 G63 has a really annoying wind noise/rattle coming from the driver’s window. In general, wind noise on the vehicle doesn’t bother me as it’s a big box, but being it’s near my ear and is different from the “standard” wind noise I really would like to find a remedy. Passenger side is fine - only driver’s side. Also important to mention - my 2020 G63 did not have this noise. So here is what I’ve been through so far:
  1. My closest dealer has replaced door seals and window seal. Did not fix the problem
  2. Confirmed that the window is moving within the window seal - creating a rubbing noise due to wind pressure
  3. Second dealer quickly identified the noise, drives another G63 on the lot and says it has the same noise, so they are calling it normal.

Is anyone else dealing with this?
The following users liked this post:
V8ray (08-14-2023)
Old 12-20-2021, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
With a Copy of the 2nd Dealer's Service "Invoice" - call Mercedes Customer Care (normal East Coast office hrs) at (800) 367-6372 - just be straight forward that you are not happy that Dealer did not perform any WORK to resolve your problem. Don't bring up Dealer #1 unless Customer Care brings that up from their side. A Customer Service Complaint - on specific Service date/invoice (with out the Back Story plz) - Customer Service will give you a Case# (save that as reference).
Customer Care Case sets up a 2nd channel - which goes to Service/Management - that should result in that 2nd dealer calling you in 48hrs and "bam" they will be a whole lot more interested in chasing this down/fixing-this with you.

Keep the beat !
Old 12-20-2021, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
There's a goofy looking and seemingly functionless rubber tab along the forward outside edge of the window that's supposed to prevent window wobble. Is it present and correctly fitted on yours?
Old 12-20-2021, 10:10 AM

2021 G63
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
With a Copy of the 2nd Dealer's Service "Invoice" - call Mercedes Customer Care (normal East Coast office hrs) at (800) 367-6372 - just be straight forward that you are not happy that Dealer did not perform any WORK to resolve your problem. Don't bring up Dealer #1 unless Customer Care brings that up from their side. A Customer Service Complaint - on specific Service date/invoice (with out the Back Story plz) - Customer Service will give you a Case# (save that as reference).
Customer Care Case sets up a 2nd channel - which goes to Service/Management - that should result in that 2nd dealer calling you in 48hrs and "bam" they will be a whole lot more interested in chasing this down/fixing-this with you.

Keep the beat !
I should have included that the 2nd dealer was informed by Mercedes to drive another vehicle and see if the sound is present. The tech took a 2021 off the lot and said it made the same noise. I didn’t get the impression that they were trying to avoid helping. My next step is the get MBUSA involved but wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. Most power windows are adjustable, however, the window on the G63 is not adjustable.

Last edited by JAGGED155; 12-20-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:13 AM

2021 G63
Originally Posted by streborx
There's a goofy looking and seemingly functionless rubber tab along the forward outside edge of the window that's supposed to prevent window wobble. Is it present and correctly fitted on yours?
It is. All trim is secure. Everything appears in place
Old 12-20-2021, 11:43 AM

Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts
2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
My 21 G 63 has no noise.
Old 12-20-2021, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by JAGGED155
It is. All trim is secure. Everything appears in place
Did the dealer, or have you, done a reinitialization on the window? See
Old 12-21-2021, 02:34 PM

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
2024 G 63
My 2020 G 63 doesn't make any annoying sounds. But, I can imagine the sound you described, and it would definitely bother me. I'm sure you'll find a solution, but I want to mention something I have used over the years to eliminate or minimize oddball squeaks, etc. Try applying some clear silicone paste to the areas you think are rubbing and causing the noise. 3M makes it as well as many other companies. The carbon fiber side-view mirror on one of my Ferraris had an annoying creaking/squeaking sound, and there wasn't any adjustments or any obvious way to address the problem. Someone told me about clear silicone paste, so I tried it. Bingo! Problem solved I had to re-apply a little silicone paste occasionally, but it worked surprisingly well. Good luck!

Here's some info about the silicone paste:
Multi-purpose lubricant and protectant with high dielectric strength.
Clear non-melting paste.
Protects against surface oxidation.
Reconditions rubber and plastic; eliminates squeaks.
Ideal for use on electric connectors, O-rings, battery terminals, bulb bases, weather stripping, seat and window tracks.

Last edited by sweet63; 12-21-2021 at 02:41 PM. Reason: add more information.
Old 12-26-2021, 01:45 AM

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
Mercedes G63
Originally Posted by Craig B
My 21 G 63 has no noise.
Mine is a 21 G63 as well and I don't hear anything. Maybe the drivers mirror a bit breaking the wind, but I hear that on other vehicles slightly as well.
Old 06-17-2022, 05:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 G63
I know this is an old thread but I had this issue immediately upon getting our g63. The service department said it was normal and nothing they could do. So I looked it over closely and noticed the plug under the driver's side mirror was loose and would rattle when tapped. The same piece on the passenger side was seated securely so I suspected this was the problem on the driver's side. I simply got some painters tape and covered this loose plastic piece and the noise is gone! I know that's not a fix, but I called MB service who is going to try and order another piece shipped to my house. Hopefully, the replacement part fits securely.
Old 08-22-2022, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g550
My 2021 G63 has a really annoying wind noise/rattle coming from the driver’s window. In general, wind noise on the vehicle doesn’t bother me as it’s a big box, but being it’s near my ear and is different from the “standard” wind noise I really would like to find a remedy. Passenger side is fine - only driver’s side. Also important to mention - my 2020 G63 did not have this noise. So here is what I’ve been through so far:
  1. My closest dealer has replaced door seals and window seal. Did not fix the problem
  2. Confirmed that the window is moving within the window seal - creating a rubbing noise due to wind pressure
  3. Second dealer quickly identified the noise, drives another G63 on the lot and says it has the same noise, so they are calling it normal.

Got same issue 2019 G550... but honestly only happens when driving 75 mph+... which technically I should not be doing....will try the paste option.
Old 05-13-2023, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Mercedes SLS GT AMG, 2015 S550 coupe, 2016 AMG GT coupe, 2021/22 Mercedes-Benz G550
I have the same issue

when driving it seems like something is opened! Driver side, by the window wind noise!
i didn't have that issue before they replaced my driver window weather stripping!
ive taken it too another dealership but they say its normal the same way they say my passenger ripped window seal is normal!

im pissed and honestly frustrated!

Old 06-05-2023, 07:58 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
AMG GLS63
My passenger side (left side in the UK) suffers from what I can only describe as a creaking of the rubber seals, in the door frame, like the door moving in the opening under flex of the chassis causes the seals to scream at each other LOL.

If i push on the door from outside theres some movement between the seals, so maybe the door shut needs to be tightened to pull the door in a bit more, I put some silicone on the seals to see if it helped, it didn't, Ive ordered Gummi Pflege to get plenty on next time, the noise is so annoying and only that single door doing it.

Thanks
Carl
Old 06-19-2023, 07:55 AM

AMG GLS63
Bumping this thread as I still have the noise in my left side front door, conditioning the seal didnt fit it.
V8ray (08-14-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
I'd pull the door panel and see if the window can be adjusted to seat a bit more into the seal. Maybe an auto glass or body shop could check this for you.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:34 AM

AMG GLS63
Thanks for the suggestion, having the window down doesn't stop the noise, so mine is in the seals between door and body, I think?

My G is vinyl wrapped, obviously Mercedes blamed the noise on that straight away, but the other 3 doors don't screech like that, I think wind is getting in between the door and the frame and causing movement, which is chattering the seals, either on each other or one of the seals onto the vinyl.

I want to close up some of the doors that sit slightly proud of the pillars anyway, so maybe it just needs some minor adjustment to close up the gap and reduce the wind entry at that location?
Old 06-20-2023, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Really unusual that the noise can be heard even with the window down. Dumb question -- have you checked the air vents (both the one facing the driver and the defrost vent facing the window) for obstructions and/or foreign objects?
Another forum post mentioned applying painter's tape around the exterior door frame as a means of isolating the noise and confirming the noise is coming from the door seal.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:45 AM

AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by streborx
Really unusual that the noise can be heard even with the window down. Dumb question -- have you checked the air vents (both the one facing the driver and the defrost vent facing the window) for obstructions and/or foreign objects?
Another forum post mentioned applying painter's tape around the exterior door frame as a means of isolating the noise and confirming the noise is coming from the door seal.
I haven't checked the vents specifically but they all seem to work fine. I wondered about adding some tape to the door area to try and find the location, thought Id ask on here first, thanks for the suggestion.
seawitch4 (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Mercedes SLS GT AMG, 2015 S550 coupe, 2016 AMG GT coupe, 2021/22 Mercedes-Benz G550
WINDOW NOISES ISSUES

Many of you may already may know my issues with outside sound in my cabin! Especially the really annoying wind noise coming from my driver side window & back passenger window on the right side!( And yes the air-conditioning in radio is off including the rear)

it’s extremely annoying especially when a car passes and I hear the car like it was right next to me if like the windows are down meanwhile the windows are up!

I took it upon myself to start changing out the rubber gaskets around the windows that goes inside the doors!

Because Mercedes a.k.a. AutoNation in Florida are useless! Especially they don’t fix your issues at service but yet they add on to issues because of the blatant carelessness!

So far it seems that the window rubber seals are not being placed correctly within the door frame! Also the weatherstrip that your door panel rest upon on gets heated by the sun and becomes loose therefore creating a way for wind/noises to enter the vehicle and/ or outside noises being present within your cabin area!

so my suggestion:

Replace window gasket - add silicone within the door frame around gasket

spray drip shield backing with a rubberized water proof spray!

Add 3M anti-slip tape to interior windowsill underneath weatherstripping

Add 3m anti-slip tape to tabs of door panel that goes into weatherstripping!

While door panel is off, adjust door if needed!

replace all door panel clips

reprogram window at the end

I’m currently in the middle of the project now but it seems very effective

this will resolve window noises that channels through your door into cabin!

Old 06-20-2023, 03:15 PM

AMG GLS63
Wow do you have any pictures of the various fixes done so far, part numbers for replacement parts etc so that Im clear what fix is for where, and I can start the process of elimination too please?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2023, 03:16 AM

AMG GLS63
@D1103 youre a total saviour, I taped my left side one last night and no noise on my commute to work this morning. I was pricing up wrap removal, new door and window seals and so on, but its this tiny cover that is loose in the mirror base.

Now to the solution.
Old 08-11-2023, 03:17 AM

AMG GLS63
Sorry guys wrong thread.