G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Placing G550 Order

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 12:59 AM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Tesla Model 3, Corvette C8
Question Placing G550 Order

Looking to place an order for a G550 at msrp. I am fine waiting 2-3 years. Anyone know a dealership that honors msrp without markups?
Old 03-04-2022, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
For perspective - if Pre-Owned New Gen G's sell today for MSRP+ - why would a Dealer sell a New G's at MSRP ?

Frankly - production #'s have never been planned to be increased - after the 2022 MSRP Increase (to be announced) - and 2022 production will be dismal since wiring harnesses "were" made in Ukraine - then followed by 2023 MSRP increase - etc. etc. - sure a "G5XX" MSRP will be like $200K "waiting 2-3yrs".

You might want to consider that perspective.
The following users liked this post:
mercedesmax (04-27-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
Will someone please explain this obsession you have about paying only MSRP? MSRP is only a number required by law, and has no basis in a vehicle's cost to manufacture or market value. MSRPs are not regulated prices that must be justified by manufacturers to consumers or to some government agency. Please explain why you're OK with paying a $200K MSRP, but paying $150K MSRP + $50K ADM is not OK. Please show us how this changes your monthly payments or the way you plan to park in your driveway. Prices are what they are because there are buyers willing to pay them. Please explain why you're special, and while others are paying $250K for a G, you're exceptional and should pay $75K less. If you don't want to pay the going rate, find another brand or marry into a MB GM''s family.
The following 7 users liked this post by streborx:
BenjaminKohl (03-12-2022), CincyMBGuy (03-04-2022), mercedesmax (03-04-2022), michelleMB (03-04-2022), places (03-04-2022), Psymac (09-06-2022), SixPointThree (03-04-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-04-2022, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,486 Likes on 981 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by Kirill98
Looking to place an order for a G550 at msrp. I am fine waiting 2-3 years. Anyone know a dealership that honors msrp without markups?
Yawn...

Aren't you special?
JesseRohr (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 03:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
G-Class
At this time no dealership will give you a spot with guarantee MSRP price. If you are not willing to pay over, than its best you wait 2-3 years for things to calm down. Even than, it will be hard task to secure one at sticker. This is just predication and it can even take longer.

My local dealers would laugh when asked for a spot with MSRP. I managed to place an order at sticker from out of state back in 2020 and had my G63 delivered in 2021. As promised the dealer honored the agreement. However, the past 6 months the market has dramatically changed. My GM has a 3 year waiting list and they are all with market adjustment terms.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:43 PM

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
E55
Not sure what the background is for the anger towards this person but since when is looking to pay MSRP considered a bad thing?

First off dealer mark ups are very regional. $100k in LA isn't happening in other parts of the country.

When the w223 came out several dealers offered me MSRP where others were 20k over so why not do a little leg work and save $20k? I will wager anyone on here wasting time is not someone who can just waste $100k mark ups.

Another thing to consider is look at Autotrader and see the amount of G Wagons currently for sale both new and used. There is no shortage of cars. Then look at how many have been for sale for long lengths of time. Just because a car is listed at a certain price doesn't mean it sells at that amount.

Another issue is insurance. Yes, most do market surveys but that can also be an issue as there are vehicles LISTED at MSRP that would effect that valuation. So you could be gambling $100k if a total loss occurred. No insurance Co is going to write a $100k check when you have paid insurance on a car that they calculated at being $100k less.

Put me in the crowd that I see no bragging rights that I paid $100k over what something is supposed to cost. There are a lot of dealers do some research and I am sure you can get close to MSRP from the right one. If not only you know how important it is to have that new G Wagon in your driveway is.
places (09-08-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 01:20 PM

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by DABRONX
Another issue is insurance. Yes, most do market surveys but that can also be an issue as there are vehicles LISTED at MSRP that would effect that valuation. So you could be gambling $100k if a total loss occurred. No insurance Co is going to write a $100k check when you have paid insurance on a car that they calculated at being $100k less.
I'm guessing you have never heard of gap insurance?
Old 03-12-2022, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
While there are likely a few "angry" souls lurking around and about this forum, I think most readers react to MSRP info requests with something between "annoyance" and "disbelief". There's nothing wrong with looking for MSRP, but finding a deal at MSRP is just unlikely to ever happen right now. The WSJ reported 2 weeks ago that 82% of all auto sales in January closed at or above MSRP. When buyers are shelling out $10K over MSRP for an Escalade, searching the countryside for a G63 at MSRP just seems like time wasted, IMHO.

Dealer markups in LA are $100K -- markups are at least this much and more elsewhere. The dealership in the Denver area where I acquired my G550 currently has 3 Gs on its lot -- 2 G550s at MSRP + $100K and 1 G63 at MSRP + $140K.

You're right -- there is no shortage of Gs right now (over 950 listings on autotrader.com) -- only a shortage of buyers willing to pay the asking prices. But this doesn't prevent less being offered and accepted. The current oversupply is indicative of excessively high prices, but dealers seem willing to hold out. Personally, I don't expect asking prices to cave, but prices at which Gs are sold will drop. There's nothing wrong with calling every MB dealership in your region and offering MSRP, but you'll likely hear more "clicks" than counteroffers.

The topic of insurance has been discussed before, and owners who find themselves in substantially over MSRP have reported premium coverage is available (for more $$ of course). My G550 is currently valued on its Carfax report at about $35K more than I paid for it, but I haven't investigated replacement cost coverage with my carrier.

I don't recall many forum members bragging about how much over MSRP they paid. Several have complained that they have been shaken down at delivery, expecting to drive away at MSRP but told the price is then substantially higher. The only bragging I recall reading is by a few members whose dealers honored their MSRP purchase agreement. It seems unlikely that anyone is going to brag about negotiating a deal down to +$100K from +$150K, but I could be wrong.

I think MSRP is still a mirage right now on almost any desirable vehicle. It's probably the worst time in automobile history to be buying a car of any brand in any price range. I don't expect current gas prices to impact pricey vehicles like the G-Class. If you can afford a $3600 monthly car payment, what's a couple of $200 fill-ups?

But please keep everyone here up to date, and let us know if you snare a new G for close to MSRP. While there are some heated exchanges from time to time on differing points of view, I think there's unanimity in hatred of dealer ADMs.
The following 3 users liked this post by streborx:
BenjaminKohl (03-12-2022), BenzFan65 (03-12-2022), mercedesmax (03-14-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 02:52 PM

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts
S580
Not sure what the background is for the anger towards this person but since when is looking to pay MSRP considered a bad thing?

First off dealer mark ups are very regional. $100k in LA isn't happening in other parts of the country.

When the w223 came out several dealers offered me MSRP where others were 20k over so why not do a little leg work and save $20k? I will wager anyone on here wasting time is not someone who can just waste $100k mark ups.

Another thing to consider is look at Autotrader and see the amount of G Wagons currently for sale both new and used. There is no shortage of cars. Then look at how many have been for sale for long lengths of time. Just because a car is listed at a certain price doesn't mean it sells at that amount.

Put me in the crowd that I see no bragging rights that I paid $100k over what something is supposed to cost. There are a lot of dealers do some research and I am sure you can get close to MSRP from the right one. If not only you know how important it is to have that new G Wagon in your driveway is.
Definitely no shortage. A Dodge dealer I pass by frequently has a 2019 for sale. Asking $175k. It's been for sale since November of last year.
Old 03-13-2022, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The more "attractive" the non-Certified-Non-MB-Price - the "more" there can be a reason behind that l"attractive" price - and hence the "attractive" the more inherent "risk".

On Insurance - as with all Exclusive Vehicles - always check your Insurance Carrier - Best Policies are based on Market Value - frankly no relationship to purchase price or loan balance.

"Edgiest" on Major Damage - where most Best Policies policies won't declared "totaled" unless repair costs are over 65% or even more of Market Value
Old 04-27-2022, 03:03 PM

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
2013 W212 E350 RWD
Originally Posted by tonygwagon
I'm guessing you have never heard of gap insurance?
You know a lot less than you think, (par for the course for DC area residents). GAP Coverage is limited to $50K maximum loss for most companies that offer gap insurance. Even on the Porsche website, the limit is $50,000. How can you be snarky you don't even know what you're talking about?
Old 04-27-2022, 03:47 PM

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by AllPhonesAretap
You know a lot less than you think, (par for the course for DC area residents). GAP Coverage is limited to $50K maximum loss for most companies that offer gap insurance. Even on the Porsche website, the limit is $50,000. How can you be snarky you don't even know what you're talking about?
You literally just made my point lol. The OP I responded to was saying that you will take a loss with insurance if you paid over MSRP, which simply isn't true. I never stated any limits on gap insurance, which obviously varies by provider.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 462 Likes on 377 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
In defense of the OP, paying ADM is a relatively new thing for many vehicles, which is why many are against it. And that is part of the reason why manufacturers are raising prices, but inflation on parts that go into a vehicle has risen as well.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:45 AM

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
2022 GLE
Originally Posted by streborx
Will someone please explain this obsession you have about paying only MSRP? MSRP is only a number required by law, and has no basis in a vehicle's cost to manufacture or market value. MSRPs are not regulated prices that must be justified by manufacturers to consumers or to some government agency. Please explain why you're OK with paying a $200K MSRP, but paying $150K MSRP + $50K ADM is not OK. Please show us how this changes your monthly payments or the way you plan to park in your driveway. Prices are what they are because there are buyers willing to pay them. Please explain why you're special, and while others are paying $250K for a G, you're exceptional and should pay $75K less. If you don't want to pay the going rate, find another brand or marry into a MB GM''s family.
As a long time U.S. consumer who has traveled to many countries, as well as many states, here are my reasons. Despite the fact that the MSRP is a legal reference, many Americans like myself see it as and indicator of maximum fair price for an item. Fact is, people in the U.S. don’t like to be cheated, overcharged, or placed in a position where they will pay more for a product than the next guy when the location and time is the same. For example, a friend visited China with his family. While there he discovered that the price of a meal (different menu), and other goods and services for tourists is often much higher than citizens. A custom almost unheard of in the U.S. And, illegal. Although they intended to stay two week, he and his family managed to leave after a week, and spent the second week in Australia. They loved it there because it was enjoyable and they did not feel they were being overcharged. Even though prices in Australia were a bit higher, they was being charged fairly.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Pappachoppers
For example, a friend visited China with his family. While there he discovered that the price of a meal (different menu), and other goods and services for tourists is often much higher than citizens. A custom almost unheard of in the U.S. And, illegal.
Many foreign countries observe the custom of bartering in the exchange of goods and services. Americans are not familiar, nor experienced, in negotiating prices and most American merchants are not receptive to such. Best to check the travel advice and local customs in Fodor's before embarking.
However, the U.S. does observe progressive pricing in its income tax structure, which of course is not illegal (most everything the government does would be illegal in the private sector).

But all this aside -- what is your recommendation, if not ADMs added to MSRP, for fairly and equitably distributing G Wagens (or any other limited supply item) to buyers? Lottery? Dealer bribery? Waiting in line for 3 weeks? Having an inside connection with the dealership? Auction?
mwike (09-06-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 09:51 PM

2022 GLE
Originally Posted by streborx
Many foreign countries observe the custom of bartering in the exchange of goods and services. Americans are not familiar, nor experienced, in negotiating prices and most American merchants are not receptive to such. Best to check the travel advice and local customs in Fodor's before embarking.
However, the U.S. does observe progressive pricing in its income tax structure, which of course is not illegal (most everything the government does would be illegal in the private sector).

But all this aside -- what is your recommendation, if not ADMs added to MSRP, for fairly and equitably distributing G Wagens (or any other limited supply item) to buyers? Lottery? Dealer bribery? Waiting in line for 3 weeks? Having an inside connection with the dealership? Auction?
my recommendation has been the universal standard since the beginning of trade. The price for a Mercedes-Benz, or any other product or services is how much the buyer is willing to pay. It’s significant to note that many comments in the forum echos tmy sentiment vehemently - Saying that they will go to another dealer or even another manufacturer before paying what they believe to be over the acceptable price. . I agree with them. I did not, nor will I consider paying over list price for my recently purchased GLE. I would purchase another vehicle before doing so. In essence, Mercedes-Benz is not the only luxury car manufacturer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pappachoppers:
ColeBlooded (09-05-2022), places (09-06-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 03:21 PM

2022 GLE

Very well stated. Reminds me of the toilet paper shortage and the first Harry Potter book everyone was vying for. We can not blame dealers for taking advantage of a false shortage. Individuals who had no intentions of purchasing a MB are knocking each other down to get to the dealer first. Just so they can have bragging rights that the have a new GLE. And, you are indeed correct. No insurance company is going to compensate a person who overpays for a vehicle if lost/stolen. They will pay actual cash value (ACV), minus the depreciation of the vehicle. They can also provide a like used vehicle.
places (09-08-2022)