G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

New tires for G550 20". Suggestions appreciated.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 04:12 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
2021 G63; 2018 Aston Martin DB11
Question New tires for G550 20". Suggestions appreciated.

Recommendations please for new 20" tires. Drive a lot of hwy miles but like the meatier look of Nittos or KO2s.
Suggestions on size too please. Factory 275/50 or maybe 285/55.
Ride quality. Noise.
Pics appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails New tires for G550 20". Suggestions appreciated.-20210917_165756.jpg  
Old 07-03-2023, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
The great advantage to 20" wheels is that there's a vast number of choices in brands and models. IMO, stick with a tire size as close as possible to OE. Selection is better if you upsize slightly to 275/55R20 (only about 3% diameter difference). You can play with various tire sizes at www.https://tiresize.com/calculator/ to evaluate the differences. Upsizing tires to the point of causing chassis/suspension interference is not worth the benefits of appearance, IMO.
I'm more concerned with a tire's attributes while sitting in the driver's seat, rather than while sitting in my office looking out the window at how cool the tires look when parked (many others might vehemently disagree). My experience with aggressive knobby treads is that they wear unevenly and begin to rumble. Unless you plan to do serious off-roading, stick with a more conservative tread design that performs well on wet, dry and snow covered pavement. If you're looking for a single tire to use year-round, go with an all-season, and if snow is a factor, consider an all-season with a 3 mountain peak snow-flake (3MPSF) rating, as this means the tire has been traction tested. I have Yokohama Geolander G015- tires mounted on my '19 G550, an all-terrain (A/T) 3MPSF rated 60K mile warranty tire that I run year-round in Colorado (where it can snow any day of the year), and haven't been disappointed with them.
The following 3 users liked this post by streborx:
blacklightus (07-04-2023), dcarrer0 (07-03-2023), jamgolf (07-03-2023)
Old 01-18-2024, 09:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 Viper ACR
Originally Posted by streborx
The great advantage to 20" wheels is that there's a vast number of choices in brands and models. IMO, stick with a tire size as close as possible to OE. Selection is better if you upsize slightly to 275/55R20 (only about 3% diameter difference). You can play with various tire sizes at www.https://tiresize.com/calculator/ to evaluate the differences. Upsizing tires to the point of causing chassis/suspension interference is not worth the benefits of appearance, IMO.
I'm more concerned with a tire's attributes while sitting in the driver's seat, rather than while sitting in my office looking out the window at how cool the tires look when parked (many others might vehemently disagree). My experience with aggressive knobby treads is that they wear unevenly and begin to rumble. Unless you plan to do serious off-roading, stick with a more conservative tread design that performs well on wet, dry and snow covered pavement. If you're looking for a single tire to use year-round, go with an all-season, and if snow is a factor, consider an all-season with a 3 mountain peak snow-flake (3MPSF) rating, as this means the tire has been traction tested. I have Yokohama Geolander G015- tires mounted on my '19 G550, an all-terrain (A/T) 3MPSF rated 60K mile warranty tire that I run year-round in Colorado (where it can snow any day of the year), and haven't been disappointed with them.
Have you been happy with road noise/comfort on the Yokohama tire? And being almost an inch larger diameter than OEM, do the 275/55-20 still fit under the spare tire cover?
Old 01-18-2024, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Dewilmoth
Have you been happy with road noise/comfort on the Yokohama tire? And being almost an inch larger diameter than OEM, do the 275/55-20 still fit under the spare tire cover?
I have 4 years and about 20K miles on the Yoko's and have nothing to complain about (noise, comfort, handling, treadwear) under any road conditions -- dry, wet, or snow. Will buy another set in a couple years when my current set gets to 4/32". I wanted an A/T tire with a 3MPSF rating to drive on year-round, and picked the Yoko over the Falcon Wildpeak for no particular reason -- both are good tires.

Regarding the tire cover, not even the 275/50R20 OE tire size fits under the tire cover of my '19 G550. MB's idea of a "full-size" spare was a mis-matched Continental 265/50R20 with a "45 MPH MAX" sticker pasted on the wheel (at least the wheel matches). I ranted about this on a couple posts on the old W463 forum a couple years ago. I had a matching Yoko mounted on the spare wheel and bought an aftermarket tire cover from Boomerang (I posted some pics of this also on one of the forums). Check what's under your spare tire cover -- I'd be interested to know.

The lunacy of this mis-matched spare is what do you do with the spare tire cover when you replace a flat with the Continental spare and hang the Pirelli on the spare mount? The cover won't fit, so you shove it into the cargo area on top of your luggage where it can slide forward and decapitate one of your kids or dogs in the back seat.

Last edited by streborx; 01-18-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:48 AM

2016 Viper ACR
I have 4 years and about 20K miles on the Yoko's and have nothing to complain about (noise, comfort, handling, treadwear) under any road conditions -- dry, wet, or snow. Will buy another set in a couple years when my current set gets to 4/32". I wanted an A/T tire with a 3MPSF rating to drive on year-round, and picked the Yoko over the Falcon Wildpeak for no particular reason -- both are good tires.

Regarding the tire cover, not even the 275/50R20 OE tire size fits under the tire cover of my '19 G550. MB's idea of a "full-size" spare was a mis-matched Continental 265/50R20 with a "45 MPH MAX" sticker pasted on the wheel (at least the wheel matches). I ranted about this on a couple posts on the old W463 forum a couple years ago. I had a matching Yoko mounted on the spare wheel and bought an aftermarket tire cover from Boomerang (I posted some pics of this also on one of the forums). Check what's under your spare tire cover -- I'd be interested to know.

The lunacy of this mis-matched spare is what do you do with the spare tire cover when you replace a flat with the Continental spare and hang the Pirelli on the spare mount? The cover won't fit, so you shove it into the cargo area on top of your luggage where it can slide forward and decapitate one of your kids or dogs in the back seat.
Thanks for info, very helpful. The other tire I was looking at was the BFG Trail-Terrain.

I will have a look at my spare and let you know. Driving with a mismatched diameter spare on a 4WD truck isn’t my favorite idea, but I guess that’s the way it goes unless I buy another cover like you.

Last edited by Dewilmoth; 01-18-2024 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:30 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
2021 G63; 2018 Aston Martin DB11

Would u be able to post a pic of spare tire u have now. Thinking of removing cover too.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by dcarrer0
Would u be able to post a pic of spare tire u have now. Thinking of removing cover too.
See https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...r-part-ii.html and https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...ire-cover.html

There are other options, such as the LeTech mount, but I wanted to keep the sun off my spare. UV is really brutal in Colorado at 7000 feet.
Old 01-27-2024, 02:48 PM

2016 Viper ACR

Follow up. My G is getting ceramic coated today, so I removed the spare to ensure the paint is accessible to the detailer.

Like you, I have a 265/50-20 spare. Luckily it is mounted on a matching AMG Twin 5-spoke wheel, I’ve noticed some are not necessarily matching.