Took delivery of my 09 G55 - Some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Land Cruiser, 2009 G55, 2013 C63 Black Series
Smile Took delivery of my 09 G55 - Some questions

Hi,

I registered in this forum when I was thinking about getting a G55. The many posts I've read were of great help. I wanted a black G55 but saw a designo silver one with designo porcelain interior at the dealer and fell in love with it. I picked it up from the showroom last week. I love everything about it so far but my back seems to beg to differ in terms of the stiff suspension. I might consider changing that later on if it gets really annoying. Thinking about the pressure adjustable Fox shocks as I have a similar setup on my land cruiser.

I've been trying to find some info regarding the load capacity of the cargo door. Currently, the spare tire that came on my G55 is on 18" rims (265/60R18) and is narrower that the stock tire on 19" wheels. I'm thinking about replacing that with a full size spare and 19" wheels (275/55R19). I asked the dealer, parts department, and MB service center but couldn't get an answer on whether the cargo door can handle the extra weight of the bigger tire/rim. The cargo door is already rattling as it is but from a quick research this seems like a common problem that is easily fixed. I would really appreciate any help or info regarding this issue.

The G55s we get here only comes with the mesh cup holder for some reason. I went ahead and ordered the other cup holder that fits on the side of the center console storage. The parts guy mentioned that it is a US part but they can still order it which is good. Are there any other options for cup holders? even the one I ordered looks quite flimsy.

Edit: never mind this issue, just found and ordered a brodit proclip
Another issue I have is where to put my mobile. I have a huge mobile (nokia E90) which I don't think I could live without and it doesn't fit in any of the storage compartments. I've been trying to find a bracket that fits somewhere on the dash board (something like dash mount) but they all cover an A/C vent which is quite important here as the temperature reached 50 Celsius just last week. I already have a windshield suction mount for the mobile but I prefer a more permanent solution.

Finally, the doors seem to be too stiff for my passengers. It seems that it takes them 3 to 4 slams just to shut the door. One of them, from repeatedly slamming the door over and over for a whole day was left with a sore arm the next morning, lol. I've used a synthetic spray lubricant to try get it to make it easier for everybody. Are there any other things I could do to make improve this?

Sorry about the lengthy first post, and thanks for taking the time and reading it

Last edited by siglo; 07-19-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:14 PM
PCH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 G55, Challenge Stradale, 997.1 GT3, E63 Wagon
Congratulations!!

All the negatives you mention, such as the stiff suspension and non-friendly door hinges have been carried over from the original G. And with regard to the spare tire, its just a matter of time before you start to experience creaks and rattles. This is caused by the weight of the spare hanging on the rear door which ultimately effects the alignment of the door striker. Dealer band aids are special MB lubricant on rubber seal surround, felt tape, and striker alignment or replacement. Either one of these will not solve the problem but will offer short term relief. Obviously replacing the standard spare with a larger/heavier one will only compound the problem.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:34 AM

@AGR

Thanks for the reply.

Although the cargo door rattles isn't that bad, I'll bug the dealer about it to fix it with their temp fixes every now and then. I think I'll weigh the spare and larger tire just to know the weight difference. If it isn't that much of a difference, I might fit a full spare instead.

Another issue I am still researching is the fuel additive MB dealer recommends. They recommend here to add MB Keropur fuel additive with every tank of gas because they claim the quality of fuel isn't good enough for their engins. The only instruction on the can of additive is this:

"Note: Preferably to be added to tank before refueling. Dosage: Contents of can for 1 tank filling/approx. 65 liters."

I found a lot of info about it online. Some people use it once and month, others use it with every service. Fuel here is quite cheap so I don't mind adding this can with every filling. But, does is cause any harm if added with every tank of gas is a question I still haven't found an answer to.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:06 AM
PCH

Originally Posted by siglo
Another issue I am still researching is the fuel additive MB dealer recommends. They recommend here to add MB Keropur fuel additive with every tank of gas because they claim the quality of fuel isn't good enough for their engins. The only instruction on the can of additive is this:

"Note: Preferably to be added to tank before refueling. Dosage: Contents of can for 1 tank filling/approx. 65 liters."

But, does is cause any harm if added with every tank of gas is a question I still haven't found an answer to.
Never heard of this before from anyone posting from Kuwait. However, if you're not satisfied with your dealers recommendations, (certainly don't blame you) I would contact the MB distributor direct for Kuwait. Please get back to us with your findings.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:56 AM

Unfortunately, the MB dealer here is the only distributor and sole agent for Kuwait AFAIK. I would have to contact the regional office which is most likely in Dubai but I can't find their contract info. I'll let you know if I manage to get in touch with them.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:18 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
Unfortunately, the MB dealer here is the only distributor and sole agent for Kuwait AFAIK. I would have to contact the regional office which is most likely in Dubai but I can't find their contract info. I'll let you know if I manage to get in touch with them.
http://www.mideast.mercedes-benz.com/

They have a contact form and are quite responsive. I also doubt the fuel quality in Kuwait is that bad.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by jimmyg
http://www.mideast.mercedes-benz.com/

They have a contact form and are quite responsive. I also doubt the fuel quality in Kuwait is that bad.
Thanks jimmyg

I use 98 octane (Research Octane Number - RON) gasoline for all my cars which is the highest quality available in Kuwait. Never had any problems so far. I believe for the G55 MB recommends 95 octane (MON+RON/2) MON being Motor Octane Number. AFAIK, 98 RON should be approx. 94 to 95 (MON+RON/2) which shouldn't be a problem.

I used their contact form but I didn't get any confirmation that the message was sent and only went back to the main page. I hope my message went through. I'll post their reply to my questions when I receive it.

Thanks again..

Last edited by siglo; 07-22-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:34 AM

Update:

I emailed MB Germany and got a call from the local distributor the same day! The local dealer checked with AMG regarding replacing the shocks and springs and AMG gave them their approval. So I replaced the AMG shocks and springs with G500 ones I ordered from fourbyfourclub.com. The ride is a little more comfortable yet stiff enough for my taste.

AMG also replied (I personally saw the emails) saying that the rear door can handle a full spare. The dealer tried it and it fits fine. The face plate fits fine with only the steel ring needing replacement. I am planning on ordering one from here.

I drilled a couple of holes in the center console and installed the MB cup holder I ordered. It's sturdier than I have expected and much better than that hard to reach mesh cup holder.

The fuel issue I could not resolve to my satisfaction. So after some discussion with the service manager here, I just decided to add a can of Keropur with every tank filling since it will not harm the engine even if overdone.

Here's a pic of my G

Old 12-07-2009, 01:22 PM
PCH

Glad you were able to get most of the issues sorted out. Great pic!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:04 PM

2011 G55
I had a 09 G55 for couple months until it was stolen. Never had a problem with it. No noise, no squeaks nor rattle. Perhaps it was still too new. Never experienced anything with the doors either. You just have to slam it.

I really like the stiffness of the car, so I think it's a matter of preference.

Getting my 2010 end of December. Black on Black with piano black. Decided to wait for my dealer's next one instead of getting the one they currently have (black on black with maple wood) and then go through the hassle of swapping the wood trim.

Enjoy your new G55 in good health. The color is stunning.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:29 PM

2011 G55
Originally Posted by AGR
And with regard to the spare tire, its just a matter of time before you start to experience creaks and rattles. This is caused by the weight of the spare hanging on the rear door which ultimately effects the alignment of the door striker. Dealer band aids are special MB lubricant on rubber seal surround, felt tape, and striker alignment or replacement. Either one of these will not solve the problem but will offer short term relief.
Although it could take some of the easthetic appeal, would removing the spare tire help resolve the problem?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:17 PM
PCH

Originally Posted by hovyamg
Although it could take some of the easthetic appeal, would removing the spare tire help resolve the problem?
I've never removed my spare from the rear door however, I would imagine by doing so it would certainly prolong the issue. Keep in mind were talking about an antiquated, hand assembled, solid axel vehicle with an exceptionally large rear door/opening.

Obviously aesthetics are subjective. I feel most G owners reaction to the spareless rear door is only based on what there use to seeing. I love having what most don't and the Brabus version IMO spectacular. I'm seriously considering this for my next G....http://jalopnik.com/5156604/brabus-g...f+road-vehicle.

Last edited by PCH; 12-07-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:38 AM

na
Congrats on your new G55. That photo is amazing!
Old 12-08-2009, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac
Beautiful G you've got there.
Feel free to post more pictures if you'd like.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:27 AM

Thanks guys for your comments.

Regarding the rattling of the rear door, I had that since day one. Took it to the dealer and they managed to fix it. It didn't bother me that much anyway. And since they only lubed it, I'm almost certain that the rattling will return again.

Now there's a another squeaking noise that comes from the dash board on the passenger side right behind the grab handle. It only happens when the interior of the car is cold and the car is moving. Sounds like a little bird is trapped inside. I've grown fond of the noise, so I'm not sure if I want the dealer to fix it

Here's another pic showing how the color looks like at night under different types of lights..
Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 AM

2011 G55
I think in a car like the G, squeaks, rattles and noises left and right will never stop. As AGR stated it, it's a hand built rigid axles car.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
I think in a car like the G, squeaks, rattles and noises left and right will never stop. As AGR stated it, it's a hand built rigid axles car.
I've owned and driven a 2003 G55 for five years and recently traded for a 2005 G55K.

The suspension up until and including 2004 was much harsher then the 2005 + vehicles.

No real rattles or squeeks, find both to be very solid.

If you're paying what you did for an 2009 or 2010 then don't convince yourself it should rattle.
Bring it back to the dealer and have them correct any noise issues you may have.

Just remember to keep all the door hinges lubricated.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:44 AM

2011 G55
RBYCC has an excellent point. It should not rattle, squeak nor make noise.

My first 09 G55 was perfect. Nothing wrong. No noise. I expect the same from my upcoming 2010.

Having also owned a Jeep, which also was rigid axles, I thought perhaps all rigid axles cars eventually start making noises.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:33 PM

SL55
mashalla ya36eek khaira wekafeek sharra! you definitely chose the correct colour for our climate
did you try any off-roading near the chalets? (judging by your initial pic)

more pics please!! sound clips would be appreciated of course
Old 12-08-2009, 08:40 PM
PCH

RBYCC has an excellent point. It should not rattle, squeak nor make noise.

My first 09 G55 was perfect. Nothing wrong. No noise. I expect the same from my upcoming 2010.
It's important to understand the difference between what "should" be and what is. The reality is, it will inevitability rattle/creek/squeak or what name you want to give it. Unfortunately it is and always has been an inherent characteristic of the G.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:20 PM

g55

I have a 2010 model g55 with 300 miles and I have the rattles already fore sure. But I somewhat expected this
Old 12-09-2009, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mowateriology
mashalla ya36eek khaira wekafeek sharra! you definitely chose the correct colour for our climate
did you try any off-roading near the chalets? (judging by your initial pic)

more pics please!! sound clips would be appreciated of course
Thanks my friend, I thought that would be the best color for Kuwait too..

I haven't taken it much off road for two reasons. I drive long distances off road at moderately high speeds and the G55 will break my back with its stiffness and run out of fuel before I reach my destination. When I go off road, I take this

It's modified to carry enough fuel for me to reach the UAE without stopping at a gas station
Old 12-09-2009, 02:01 AM

2011 G55
It's modified to carry enough fuel for me to reach the UAE without stopping at a gas station
What sort of modification did you do to carry more fuel? Could you elaborate? thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 02:04 AM

2011 G55
Wait a second, is your G55 or Toyota off-roader modified?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:35 AM

The G fuel tank is stock.

I replaced the stock sub tank of the land cruiser with a 122L sub tank. This bring the total fuel in the main and sub tank to about 220L. Plus 2 jerry cans mounted on the roof rack. That's another 40L.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Took delivery of my 09 G55 - Some questions