Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

What would you guys do: Keep the E55 or Get a New SL500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 E55 AMG - Brilliant Silver (very rare)/ Charcoal, K2a
What would you guys do: Keep the E55 or Get a New SL500?

Have been given the option (by my dealer) to trade in my Beast for a new SL500 (#10 spot on the list of 50 allocated) ... what would you do in my situation?

Please don't recommend I go for the SL55 (same dealer has 4 open spots for their 5 allocated SL55's) ... although I've been "duly-spoiled" by my AMG ... and not sure I can live without the power I've grown so accustomed to ... I just can't seem to justify in my own mind ... paying over $100K for my daily-driver (I already feel guilty not considering the AMG-version).

I am also #1 on 'the list' at the same dealer, and #15 on the list at another dealer for the new E50/55 ... whenever it comes out.

What would you do in my shoes? Why?

I am more than happy with my current ride ... but like to change-out cars after a year or two.

I know this falls into the "it must be rough" category ... but would like to hear your opinions ... they may help me make my decision a little easier.

Thanks in advance for the feedback ...
Old 01-11-2002, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
If I had an E55 AMG, I'd keep it until the wheels fell off. The SL500 is more of a weekend crusing car, a toy. The E55 is a superb all-around car.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Unhappy Drew C'mon!

Please do give me a break!!!! Last time I checked the wife and kid not care much for a two seater. And also, I do not think you are trolling too much around Boca these days at FAU for a companion. Keep the E55 and or get a new one of those. WIll keep you out of trouble at the house at the very least.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:27 AM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
You need to keep what you got Drew!

As a daily driver the E is much better suited. The SL is a weekend road toy. If you have a family, then the SL is not gonna work too well. The E55 is such a beautiful vehicle, I would wait till the new one came out. I love the SL especially the new one, but doesnt sound too practical for your needs. Im also on the list for the new E50 when it comes out in about April 2003. I am actually number 3 on the list to get one.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:59 PM

Re: Drew C'mon!

Originally posted by Randy B
Please do give me a break!!!! Last time I checked the wife and kid not care much for a two seater. And also, I do not think you are trolling too much around Boca these days at FAU for a companion. Keep the E55 and or get a new one of those. WIll keep you out of trouble at the house at the very least.
Wife is cool with getting an SL ... as long as she gets the car on Saturdays! (in six months of 'fatherhood' ... we've always used my Wife's SUV for 'youth transport' anyway).

I can also count on one hand the times in the past year I've taken passengers ... anywhere, so a roadster wouldn't 'cramp my style' here either.

The drop-top is way cool ... but I seem to be leaning towards driving a coupe for a while. Maybe a CL would solve my problems?
Old 01-12-2002, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by mbtech208
If I had an E55 AMG, I'd keep it until the wheels fell off. The SL500 is more of a weekend crusing car, a toy. The E55 is a superb all-around car.
I guess I'm looking for a 'toy' ... and a change to a coupe.

Maybe I'll take up 'stamp collecting' or something like that to take my mind off getting a different ride.
Old 01-12-2002, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
<b>sl500</b>

i assume you have 2 vehicles. the other is more practical?
Old 01-12-2002, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally posted by young
<b>sl500</b>

Drew's other car is his 1976 Pinto with the exploding rear end

All kidding aside- if money is not a priority and your case Counselor I dont think it is then a change of pace is always good. I have had 8 cars in 8 years but this is the only car that really has not got me thinking of changing (E55). A retractable hard top in Florida is awesome and being one of the first on the block with the new SL will keep that grin rollin that you first got when you floored the E55.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Drew.... The biggest problem I see here for you in this respect is going from an AMG tuned engine to a Non AMG engine. You will regret it ... Keep the E and wait for the New E is so inclined.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by young
<b>sl500</b>
No Young, actually I don't (my Wife has the SUV). One of the reason's for getting my Beast originally was that it is a sports car that doubled as a luxury car (or the other way around ... depending on your perspective).

But now, I just feel like a change, and the 'dual-purpose' aspect in my daily driver may not be so important now.

Vic: money is an object to me. While I'm fortunate in the fact that i could afford to buy a car that cost over $100K ... something inside me has always said I'd never do that for my daily driver. But then again, I will likely trade whichever car I get in after a year or two, so I'd likely only be paying for the time I drove it and any depreciation ... not the full $100K.

I guess we have the same bug Vic: I don't know why I get bored with my rides so quickly ... but I do.

Adam: Stop being the voice of reason all the time !!! I know you make sense, and your most likely right ... but I can give myself sensible advice ... I want you to tell me to 'GO FOR IT' ... 'GET THE SL55' ... 'YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE' ... stuff like that!

Maybe I can do some Mod's to the SL500 to make it perform more like an AMG?
Old 01-12-2002, 03:56 PM

2010 E550
I have had both the E-Class (several-but not AMGs) and a 500SL. I would suggest that if you haven't had an SL that you go for it. I think you will like it (excuse me--love it). Living in KC I also bought an old Chevy beater for the snow and bad weather. Besides, we all have those clients that if you drive up in one of these cars they are saying to themselves "I can't afford this guy". Doing some insurance defense it was a real issue with some insurance adjusters. I like you have a wife and kids that travel in a van.

The experience of an SL is awesome. I had mine for several years and never had a problem with it being a 2 seater.

What I'm sure you know though is that these are entirely different cars. I assume you have driven an SL. Hopefully enough to know that there is no way an SL handles as good as the E-Class. The E-Class is just a lot more nimble. The SL on the other hand has you riding in the lap of luxury with plenty of power.

I went back to the E-Class for several reasons. First, maintaining 3 cars (especially when your trying to maintain little kids) is time consuming. Second, there really is no better all around MB than the E-Class. (Right size, great handling, lots of power and room for 4).

I disagree with the comment that the SL is a weekend car. It does just fine for a daily driver. And, if for some reason, you have to take several people to lunch (or to go to the bank to split up a great big huge settlement check) then you can just borrow one of your partners cars.

If you don't do it now- and own an SL at this time in your life- then you'll be waiting till your retired and definately won't get the same kick out of it. Always remember, and never forget, "Enjoy yourself NOW--you're going to be dead for a very long time!"

That's just my two cents. But again, I have never viewed the issue from an "AMG" perspective.

If, like you say, you are looking for the "toy factor" then it seems to be a no brainer.
Old 01-12-2002, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by Drew
No Young, actually I don't (my Wife has the SUV). One of the reason's for getting my Beast originally was that it is a sports car that doubled as a luxury car (or the other way around ... depending on your perspective).

But now, I just feel like a change, and the 'dual-purpose' aspect in my daily driver may not be so important now.
i meant 2 cars in your household. uhm, right now, i'm at a stage where practicality really doesn't mean that much to me. you do only live once and why live it boring?
Old 01-12-2002, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by Drew
i meant 2 in your household. so the SUV can be used as your more practical car.
Old 01-12-2002, 04:10 PM

Re: Drew C'mon!

Originally posted by Randy B
WIll keep you out of trouble at the house at the very least.
You know what's funny Randy ... I've come to the conclusion that its not the car ... had way-cool rides before with no substantial increase in my acquisition of 'trim' ... surprisingly, its the 'ring'.

Ever since I got married, I've gotten more 'potential-trim' than when I was single (I should have started using the ring-thing-rap when I was single!)

Reasoning:

1. There's likely going to be no long-term comittment with a married guy? (file under the "wham, bam, thank you maam" theory of romance).

or,

2. The "Blackmail Meal-Ticket" theory?

or,

3. Maybe its not the ring. Maybe its the look in my eyes. You married guys know what I mean: that look that says "I haven't gotten it in a while"
Old 01-12-2002, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by STKLAW
I have had both the E-Class (several-but not AMGs) and a 500SL. I would suggest that if you haven't had an SL that you go for it. I think you will like it (excuse me--love it). Living in KC I also bought an old Chevy beater for the snow and bad weather. Besides, we all have those clients that if you drive up in one of these cars they are saying to themselves "I can't afford this guy". Doing some insurance defense it was a real issue with some insurance adjusters. I like you have a wife and kids that travel in a van.
Too funny! It also works the other way: A client may say (have had a few who say this) that the car you drive is THE ONLY chance a client can see/measure if your a good counselor/litigator. Its likely that if you weren't good, you'd be driving a minivan instead of a new MB.

I assume you have driven an SL.
I owned a '98 560. Loved it, but felt heavy (almost lumbersome)and antiquated (especially compared to the 'Vette I got after it).

I disagree with the comment that the SL is a weekend car. It does just fine for a daily driver. And, if for some reason, you have to take several people to lunch (or to go to the bank to split up a great big huge settlement check) then you can just borrow one of your partners cars.
I fly solo ... but the Wife would always love to trade me for the day! And for those 'huge settlement checks' ... I don't mind walking or taking the bus to the bank for that stuff!

If you don't do it now- and own an SL at this time in your life- then you'll be waiting till your retired and definately won't get the same kick out of it. Always remember, and never forget, "Enjoy yourself NOW--you're going to be dead for a very long time!"
Very good point. Maybe I should look at Ferrari's too?!

That's just my two cents. But again, I have never viewed the issue from an "AMG" perspective.
You touched on another big issue: I have been so absolutely (and maybe irrevocably) spoiled by my Beast ... I'm not sure I will be happy in anything less-than AMG (maybe I have a COA against MB-USA: 'negligent or intentional infliction of emotional distress'!)
Old 01-12-2002, 05:17 PM

2010 E550
You could always just go out and buy a new digital camera to satisfy your "toy thirst"!
Old 01-12-2002, 06:16 PM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
You only live once.... Get the SL!!

And I truly mean it... I said the same thing a few months back. I ordered the C32 in April and in August I cancelled the order. After 9/11I rethought my position and went out and reordered the car. Im so happy with it that Ive ordered a E series AMG sedan for 2003. Im the number 3 person on the list to get one. So go and get that SL damn it! Enjoy yourself.
Old 01-12-2002, 06:30 PM

Re: You only live once.... Get the SL!!

Originally posted by vinmanc32
And I truly mean it... After 9/11I rethought my position and went out and reordered the car. Im so happy with it that Ive ordered a E series AMG sedan for 2003. Im the number 3 person on the list to get one. So go and get that SL damn it! Enjoy yourself.
Yo Vinman ... thanks for the input. One problem: you got me so pumped up ... now I'm thinking about going for 'broke' ... and up the ante to a SL55 !!!

Well, hey ... you only live once, right!

(but gotta do something about those new SL55 wheels ... maybe the 18" CL Monoblocks would look good - I'm a firm believer that Monoblocks on 'Benzes look better than anything else)
Old 01-12-2002, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Re: You only live once.... Get the SL!!

Originally posted by vinmanc32
And I truly mean it... I said the same thing a few months back. I ordered the C32 in April and in August I cancelled the order. After 9/11I rethought my position and went out and reordered the car. Im so happy with it that Ive ordered a E series AMG sedan for 2003. Im the number 3 person on the list to get one. So go and get that SL damn it! Enjoy yourself.
i did the same thing! after 9/11, i said WTF, and just got my car. why live bored?
Old 01-12-2002, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
If I hired a lawyer, I'd much rather he pull up in a new Mercedes than some rusty Chevy S10 Blazer..."What the hell?? Who hired my cousin Vinny??"
Old 01-12-2002, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by mbtech208
If I hired a lawyer, I'd much rather he pull up in a new Mercedes than some rusty Chevy S10 Blazer..."What the hell?? Who hired my cousin Vinny??"
Two words: TWO YOUTS!
Old 01-13-2002, 01:35 PM

CLK55, Mini S
Drew,

You can't lose on the SL, get it. In S. FL you could unload it at any time and definitely make money!

And you can stay on the W211-AMG list can't you? If you get the SL first and don't like it, just sell it and get the W211-AMG...or keep the SL and get your doors blown off by those of us who are getting the W211-AMG!!!
Old 01-13-2002, 01:35 PM

E55
Get the SL55 - you'll consider anything else a step down. The cost factor - well if you have to ask the price......

As for client impressions - if you really have custom plates that say SUE4U, you don't seem like the kind of guy who would worry too much about that.
Old 01-13-2002, 01:51 PM

2004 SLK 32 AMG, 2002 E320, 2002 ML320, 1986 Porsche 944
Go for the SL!

Heck, you only live once!

Get a Toyota Camry or something like that for your daily driver and for your family car if money is an object (No sense in driving around a super expensive car to grocery parking spaces where other people just bang on it anyway). If money's not an object, then buy both the SL and the E. (Then if somebody bangs on it at the grocery store, you can just buy another one. )

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2002, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by hmrdwn
Drew,

You can't lose on the SL, get it. In S. FL you could unload it at any time and definitely make money!

And you can stay on the W211-AMG list can't you? If you get the SL first and don't like it, just sell it and get the W211-AMG...or keep the SL and get your doors blown off by those of us who are getting the W211-AMG!!!
Yes, with these dealers ... I can stay on their lists as long as I like ... good point!

"doors blown off" ... not if I get a Kleemann-Kit for the SL!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What would you guys do: Keep the E55 or Get a New SL500?