Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Hard to steal a Mercedes-Benz?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E 350
Hard to steal a Mercedes-Benz?

Sometimes I would be worried about parking in certain neighborhoods due to the fact that someone may steal my car. However, my friend told me it's nearly impossible to steal a MB car because there is no key and thus it is very very difficult to hotwire the car since it's all laser-guided. To what extent is this true? I know ALL cars can be stolen but does it take A LOT of skill or is it like stealing any other automobile?
Old 01-14-2003, 10:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
As far as I can guess about the system (MB plus a lot more have it, too), two chips need to talk to each other before the car can start. Without the Smart Key (one of the chips is in there), the car computer will not be able to tell the engine computer to start the motor. Also, the system has a rolling code; so, it would be very, very difficult to 'duplicate' the handshaking sequence between the two computers.

Again, my understanding of how the system works. I may be wrong ...
Old 01-14-2003, 11:49 PM

2002 C230K
depends on who is stealing it, and what kind of equipment they have. sure, you can steal any car out there, if you have the right tools. but i dont think that a regular joe shmoe can just walk up, open the door and drive off, unless of course you leave the keys for them
Old 01-15-2003, 12:40 PM

'97 MB E420 Sport/'88 MR2
..as long as they come with a flatbed tow truck..say bu-bye to your car...
Old 01-15-2003, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
That's why...

Kill switches, alarms, smartkeys, the Club, etc. etc. etc.

So many prevention methods.

That's why...

Carjacking became so popular in the early nineties, and continues to this day. Not too many of them prior to 1990. And before carjacking became a popular term and before Kalifornia passed Section 215 of the California Penal Code, they used to be referred to as 211/10851's. That's a comination of robbery/stolen car.

Yep, good ol' carjacking. I don't need your fancy key, or need to bypass your alarm, or defeat your The Club, when all I gotta do is put this here cheap lil' ol' .25 or .32 gun I bought on the corner for $50 bucks up against your noggin and I got all I want. Except a witness, which is what the gun is also useful for.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:33 PM

2008 E 350
Re: That's why...

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe

Yep, good ol' carjacking. I don't need your fancy key, or need to bypass your alarm, or defeat your The Club, when all I gotta do is put this here cheap lil' ol' .25 or .32 gun I bought on the corner for $50 bucks up against your noggin and I got all I want. Except a witness, which is what the gun is also useful for.
Ok you O.G. from Compton ...settle down... I got the point.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 W211 aka E-500
nice .sig

Nice .sig. A coupe driver obviously, I should have known. And yes, I've spent more time in Compton than you've spent on the *****ter, since you've brought up that fine city.

Thanks for the flame, but I was responding to an ON-topic thread regarding the theft of MBs, esp. in light of the smart key. And in due to having spent a few years enforcing the law in that city you insist on mentioning, I have a smidge of expertise in the area of this topic, which someone somewhere someday might find interesting.

O.G. is hardly the term you could use in Compton much these days anymore. Try Veterano and you'll have an idea of the demographic shifts that city has undergone in the last decade. Oh, never mind, you're in New York. No where near Compton. Geez, you don't know what the hell you're talking about, do you?

Man, for a guy whose home town was the subject of a much needed international outpouring of support only fifteen months ago, you sure are quick to jump in my *****. Memory failing?

I just come here to hang out and have fun, but then someone like you comes along and wants to start *****. It was your F-ing question in the first place! YOU were the one asking US for info, and now you're gonna jump off on my sincere reply? Now I know why fifteen months slips from your memory so fast.

Click here, you'll feel more at home:

https://mbworld.org/forums/forumdisp...p?s=&forumid=3

EDJ

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 01-15-2003 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by saintvir
As far as I can guess about the system (MB plus a lot more have it, too), two chips need to talk to each other before the car can start. Without the Smart Key (one of the chips is in there), the car computer will not be able to tell the engine computer to start the motor. Also, the system has a rolling code; so, it would be very, very difficult to 'duplicate' the handshaking sequence between the two computers.

Again, my understanding of how the system works. I may be wrong ...
Rolling code eh? How many times can one try with an incorrect code till it breaks in? I'm pretty sure you can brute force your way in. Almost kind of how we cracked most of RSA's codes
Old 01-16-2003, 10:15 PM

996 Turbo

Thats what you need Keyless go for. Let them steal the car, calmy walk out let them drive off and say bye sucka!
Old 01-17-2003, 03:15 AM

W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger

Kill switches, alarms, smartkeys, the Club, etc. etc. etc.

So many prevention methods.

That's why...

Carjacking became so popular in the early nineties, and continues to this day. Not too many of them prior to 1990. And before carjacking became a popular term and before Kalifornia passed Section 215 of the California Penal Code, they used to be referred to as 211/10851's. That's a comination of robbery/stolen car.

Yeah but I'll put 3 or 4 .40 cal slugs the back of your head as you drive away and then dial 911 for you, won't do you much good.

NP
Old 01-17-2003, 04:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
I think we need to get back to the original conversation, minus the gun stuff.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:14 AM

Please relax O.G's Gotta always stay protected