Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Thoughts on Consumer Reports low Mercedes ranking for reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2024 | 02:31 PM

C300 2015
Thoughts on Consumer Reports low Mercedes ranking for reliability?

MB just seems to be ranked so ridiculously low…any thoughts as to what in their methodology is driving this…or do y’all agree? I mean - less reliable than Chevy, Jeep and Mini etc.?

CR car reliability ratings.
Old 09-28-2024 | 03:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by C300NYC
MB just seems to be ranked so ridiculously low…any thoughts as to what in their methodology is driving this…or do y’all agree? I mean - less reliable than Chevy, Jeep and Mini etc.?
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e3196d0c9.jpeg
CR car reliability ratings.
Um, this was talked about quite a bit on the forums, more on it here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...15-2022-a.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...e-vehicle.html

In summary: Yes the V167 did have problems but forum members there mentioned that non intuitive software or hard to control settings was also a reason to have points deducted and it (that specific scenario, criteria) doesn't have anything to do with the reliability in a mechanical sense. The 48V mild hybrid system has been problematic but there are happy owners on this forum as well.

Here is another one, comment from a forum member: "Some of the statements made are just plain stupid. Ambient lighting so bright that pulses on and off is distracting to the driver?" To be fair, this can be turned off, shouldn't be a reason why a car "is not reliable" which for some reason is a criteria for CR.
https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs-suv/8...s-eqs-suv.html
Old 09-28-2024 | 03:19 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
MB is ranked commensurate with their ridiculously bad quality and reliability. That’s all.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Toad (09-30-2024)
Old 09-28-2024 | 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Not saying that MB can't step up the game, but most of the issues seem to be related to software. MBUX is overall kind of a disaster. Now that the interiors are mainly screens and software, if the software doesn't work properly it's super annoying. Every loaner I've had over the last 2 years or so had software problems. For me mainly around CarPlay crashing and disconnecting constantly. They had this all figured out with COMAND, but somehow managed to make a mess of it. Volkswagen is also low on this list, because their software blows as well. It's well documented. Audi is relatively low on the list, because they haven't figured out their software, either. Not surprising being part of VW. For some reason Porsche has figured it out. If I remember correctly they've gone their own way to some extent because of VW not getting their ducks in a row and BMW also has the software figured out fairly well. There are other stupid things that MB does such as the retracting door handles that sometimes work and other times don't work. A lot of things in modern cars seem to be different from what has worked in the past just for the sake of being different. What was wrong with traditionally door handles? You can make them flush w/o complicated retracting mechanisms that are just another point of failure. Get back to the basics! There's also been a lot of cost cutting in the quality of materials due to all the investments into R&D for EVs. All that money has to come from somewhere. I just read an article that Volkswagen has decided to go back to using quality materials instead of all the cheap plastics in their current cars. It has badly backfired on them.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-28-2024 at 03:37 PM.
Drone_S213 (09-29-2024)
Old 09-28-2024 | 03:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by superswiss
Not saying that MB can't step up the game, but most of the issues seem to be related to software. MBUX is overall kind of a disaster. Now that the interiors are mainly screens and software, if the software doesn't work properly it's super annoying. Every loaner I've had over the last 2 years or so had software problems. For me mainly around CarPlay crashing and disconnecting constantly. They had this all figured out with COMAND, but somehow managed to make a mess of it. Volkswagen is also low on this list, because their software blows as well. It's well documented. Audi is relatively low on the list, because they haven't figured out their software, either. Not surprising being part of VW. For some reason Porsche has figured it out. If I remember correctly they've gone their own way to some extent because of VW not getting their ducks in a row and BMW also has the software figured out fairly well. There are other stupid things that MB does such as the retracting door handles that sometimes work and other times don't work. A lot of things in modern cars seem to be different from what has worked in the past just for the sake of being different. What was wrong with traditionally door handles? You can make them flush w/o complicated retracting mechanisms that are just another point of failure. Get back to the basics! There's also been a lot of cost cutting in the quality of materials due to all the investments into R&D for EVs. All that money has to come from somewhere. I just read an article that Volkswagen has decided to go back to using quality materials instead of all the cheap plastics in their current cars. It has badly backfired on them.
I guess in MB's defence is that Porsche's software is also way simpler and less that can go wrong, I mean there is only one page of settings (Vehicle Settings) on a Macan for example and there is no scrolling down, so many things can't be configured, like parking chime tone.

audi I think does allow you to configure that but they are vorsprung durch Technik, especially Technik so I guess you expect things like that.

Porsche focuses on the driving dynamics and that experience I guess, not the infotainment.
Old 09-28-2024 | 03:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

The backup cam on the Macan (yes I understand Macan is their entry level vehicle) but it is like 240P?

I guess the reason why things work on the Porsche's infotainment was because it has barely been changed over the years.
Old 09-28-2024 | 04:09 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
The backup cam on the Macan (yes I understand Macan is their entry level vehicle) but it is like 240P?

I guess the reason why things work on the Porsche's infotainment was because it has barely been changed over the years.
Compare RNS850 to PCM6 and repost your view.
Old 09-28-2024 | 04:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Okay, since we started talking about Porsche, I really need to rant on that Macan (again I will try to keep in mind this is their entry level offering but simply comparing to a GLC), have a family member with a Macan T (the T stands for Touring but I think it stands for Trolling or Macan'T because here is the list of cons, or what the Macan can't do):

1. 240P? okay, maybe 480P... Yes it has the 360 surround view option optioned and camera doesn't hide so dirt gets on it, washer doesn't clean it well, instead it makes the tailgate all dirty.
2. no remote start, I understand it is an European thing but MB and BMW both have an option to remote start in North America, not dealbreaker for those who don't need it though...
3. Cannot option head up display at all, not dealbreaker for those with polarized glasses.
4. Macan uses Vodafone (at least in Canada) I think so the app takes like 1 minute to receive commands and to update the status of the vehicle, and you can only remote lock and not unlock.
5. Glovebox is tiny and so is the centre armrest storage, it is not a 911 why make it so small?
6. no hands free tailgate available at all? at least the button is on the rear windshield wiper.
7. Headlights are very mediocre, it is like the pre-facelift non-ILS W205 (it is a joke when compared to the digital lights of a X254 or the ILS on the X253)
8. Petty but why does the seatbelt chime dings at you the moment you remove your seatbelt, in park? I am trying to get out.
9. Second facelift Macan (2023+?) got the capacitive touch non-sense MB had, ew and the centre console scratches so easily.
10. Very petty but you can't disable the smart key with a combination of buttons like MB.
11. Bose sounds worse than the base speakers in the X254, the 6800? CAD option Burmester might be a must.
12. 18-way seats aren't comfortable (but it is meant to be firm and sporty so I get that).
13. Hard plastic down low where the cubby is.
14. Sport response is a gimmick (although I need to keep in mind this is a four cylinder), vehicle pulls better by just putting it in sport+ and flooring.
15. Super petty, you need to go to the dealership to get the buyout quote, you can email and or call Porsche all you want they can't get that information, not available online either.
16. This has to be user error or I don't know what I am doing as I can't believe it but the adaptative cruise control doesn't steer for you, it only accelerates and decelerates.
17. Can't customize the majority of the stuff in the infotainment.
18. Porsche Connects requires a SIM card to be purchased separately or using mobile hotspot to experience that 1-year trial of connected car services and no free road-side assistance.
19. Petty but hand brake doesn't auto engage when engine is off.
20. Petty but voice command doesn't understand me, maybe I have a Canadian accent? MB works fine.
21. Petty but no Android Auto (but I understand people will say to get an iPhone that is fine but Panamera and 911 has Android Auto).
22. This must be user error but defaults to FM radio with the static at high volume every time the car starts up, despite the vehicle connected to bluetooth and saved the settings to the key and profile.
23. Petty, non extendable sun visor.
24. Petty but mirrors stay folded in until starting engine, doesn't fold in when locked from tailgate or through app, has to be locking via key or through door handle.
25. Petty, the wipers also chatters and squeaks like MB.
Vehicle was equipped to 95K CAD before 13% tax.

Pros: it is a great looking CUV outside I will give it that, I really like the sport chrono clock, wish MB kept the physical clock in newer MBs, those physical gauges are tasteful but I understand why people prefer digital, there is just more information that can be displayed.

For a DCT, it is smooth and I agree with this selling point. It is not the real PDK I fully understand.

Way to tell it is an old platform the fact that the auto start/stop stays off until you ever turn it off, and not forced by regulations of turning on again next ignition cycle.

Sorry for the rant. Hope it made your day this weekend : ) Enjoy the sunshine!
Old 09-28-2024 | 08:38 PM
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy

SL63
I don’t know why anyone is comparing Jeep. They are on life support.
Old 09-28-2024 | 09:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by chassis
Compare RNS850 to PCM6 and repost your view.
Sorry, I missed this post, if I read it correctly, one is a Volkswagen infotainment and once is PCM I guess if I read it correctly, Porsche Cockpit/Communication Management? What does that have to do with my view? I did read people complaining about PCM6 being worse than PCM5 so there is that, I guess that is a trend for so many car makers, newer isn't better. People also complaint about iDrive 8 being worse than iDrive 7.
Old 09-30-2024 | 08:26 AM

2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Here is another one, comment from a forum member: "Some of the statements made are just plain stupid. Ambient lighting so bright that pulses on and off is distracting to the driver?" To be fair, this can be turned off, shouldn't be a reason why a car "is not reliable" which for some reason is a criteria for CR.
https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs-suv/8...s-eqs-suv.html
This individual seems to be confusing CR's criteria for determining overall vehicle rating (as a new model) with CR's criteria for determining vehicle reliability. CR would very likely deduct from a vehicle's overall rating (as a new model) for concerns regarding distracted driving, but such concerns have no impact on historical reliability scores, which are derived from reader responses to their automobile reliability surveys (I know this, because I receive this survey ever year).
Old 09-30-2024 | 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
Originally Posted by MB2timer
I don’t know why anyone is comparing Jeep. They are on life support.
Not just that brand but all of Stellantis:

I'm actually thinking of buying one though. The hybrids probably hurt their reliability rating. The ICE ones really aren't that bad and breaking them then fixing them is part of the fun... as long as parts remain cheap anyways.
Old 09-30-2024 | 09:20 AM

W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
As I am sure has been gone over again and again and again....I am an MB consumer. I have not one, not ever gone to CR for anything. Those who do are the (olden days) equivalent to the morons who live their lives to give bad Google Reviews.
Old 09-30-2024 | 02:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Mr. Toad
This individual seems to be confusing CR's criteria for determining overall vehicle rating (as a new model) with CR's criteria for determining vehicle reliability. CR would very likely deduct from a vehicle's overall rating (as a new model) for concerns regarding distracted driving, but such concerns have no impact on historical reliability scores, which are derived from reader responses to their automobile reliability surveys (I know this, because I receive this survey ever year).
I see, thanks for explaining it.
Mr. Toad (10-01-2024)
Old 09-30-2024 | 05:23 PM

220seb
WOW....don't know what I am missing...and I ***** about the manual window cranks...