GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL450 Issue Continue....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
GL450 Issue Continue....

Guys, here is the video I captured this morning. I parked the car on the hill side. So it will slide backwards :-)

When I arrived there, I purposely press the STOP engine button while I am in "D" mode. It will not give me any red warning message at all. While in D mode, and the engine shut off. The car will slide backwards. If you are down hill, I am sure it goes forwards. And this will not engage to the "P" park mode automatically. My car just keeps sliding backwards as you can see on videos.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z5M-fcXUoBs

I also posted it at benzworld.org and someone told me to press the button on my car at highway speed and let us know what happened. I am afraid something might happen hehehe.

This is the replied from another viewer:
It seems the vehicle would stay in drive if you hit the keyless go button while driving, but the engine may cut off. If you notice, there's an arrow that appears in the dash that shows what gear options are available with the current vehicle speed. The one next to "P" goes away once the vehicle starts moving, so that seems to me that the electronic control of the transmission will prevent the vehicle from going into park. I don't know how (or if) it would be different when you're already stopped. It seems like it should stay in "D" like any other car would when you turn off the engine.

I tell you what, why don't you press the button on yours at highway speed and let us know what happened. Deal?

Old 11-15-2006, 01:31 PM

06 CLS55, 07 GL450, 07 GMC Yukon, 06 Pontiac Vibe
Great video. Mine does the same thing. It will not go into park once the engine is off unless you physically push "P". The vehicle will roll over you if you get out and run in front of it. lol That is probably something that MB want to look at for future model years. That could be a real hazard. I'd hate to see a kid get hit accidently over that. There needs to be a red light that says to put the vehicle in P before turning off the ignition.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:36 PM

2007 E63 AMG
GL450 Issue

Yes, how do I address this issue? Should I call MB and find out what happen or take it to the dealer and see what they can do. This could be a serious problem.

Originally Posted by EFant
Great video. Mine does the same thing. It will not go into park once the engine is off unless you physically push "P". The vehicle will roll over you if you get out and run in front of it. lol That is probably something that MB want to look at for future model years. That could be a real hazard. I'd hate to see a kid get hit accidently over that. There needs to be a red light that says to put the vehicle in P before turning off the ignition.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:38 PM

This is so scary, have you talked to the dealer yet? I do this all the time with my '06 BMW 750LI but mine never rolls back/front.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:43 PM

I have had good success with serious issues when calling customer care at MBUSA in NJ. They probably could come up with retro fit to fix that problem.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:45 PM

2007 E63 AMG
GL450 Issue

Would you contact them for this keyless go issue since yours have the same problem. We all want to know what is going on with this GL issue. Cause we are all afraid what might cause accident.

I have had good success with serious issues when calling customer care at MBUSA in NJ. They probably could come up with retro fit to fix that problem.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:34 PM

Not a problem. Consider it done. I'll do it today and mention the concern to my dealer as well.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:47 PM

2007 E63 AMG
Smile GL450 issue

Thanks Efant. Since we found out there is a potential hazard problem there, we want other buyers to aware of that. Cause lots of people consider this as a family car. I just got a new born , thats why i get this big suv as family car.
So i am sure we both consider it as a safety issue

Here is my baby wahhhhhhh. My first baby. She brings me lots of joy.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SL5_cm6-jk4

PS: When there is no traffic, I will ty that in the parking lot. Turn off the engine while I am driving in "D" mode. Lets see if it shows me the message on the dash.

Not a problem. Consider it done. I'll do it today and mention the concern to my dealer as well.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Almost a Member!

04 F250 crew cab
Hi Cedric, does the dash warn you if you have stopped the car in drive and opened your door to get out? It would seem that maybe MB will allow you to stop the car in D for whatever reason, but only warn you when you open the door to say hey I'm not in Park?
Old 11-15-2006, 04:25 PM

2007 E63 AMG
GL450 Issue

Hi Steve,

Well, I think if I am driving the car, and if I open the door all in a sudden, it will show the red message on the dash. But just not when I stop the car, turn off the ignition using the keyless go button.

I don't see a reason why would that offer such feature like allow us to stop the car with the "P" mode. The car can still move. Can you imagine we park the car on the slope. And by accident we press the stop button and get off the car, we will either hit a car, people or anything. That is extremely dangerous.

Why my other car like the 2003 E500 doesn't act like that? That has keyless go also, and it will not allow me to stop the engine while in "D" mode.

Regards
Cedric

Originally Posted by Steve_C7
Hi Cedric, does the dash warn you if you have stopped the car in drive and opened your door to get out? It would seem that maybe MB will allow you to stop the car in D for whatever reason, but only warn you when you open the door to say hey I'm not in Park?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
After thinking about it for a while, and after reading the "try pushing it on the highway" question, this is the reasoning I've come up with:

Say you move your leg around, and you bump your knee into the KG button....what would happen if the car went into Park immediately, while on the highway. Not a good thing is it?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:14 PM

2007 E63 AMG
Yes, that is true and I tried that while I am driving on the street and press the 'STOP' button. It just doesn't do anything. To me, i think at least the dash will show the red message to tell us something.

But I think sfxghost from benzworld already answered my question. After the meeting I will go outside and try that.

Originally Posted by AsianML
After thinking about it for a while, and after reading the "try pushing it on the highway" question, this is the reasoning I've come up with:

Say you move your leg around, and you bump your knee into the KG button....what would happen if the car went into Park immediately, while on the highway. Not a good thing is it?
Old 11-15-2006, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
This is DEFINATELY a defect, its VERY unsafe that it allows you to turn off the car while in drive, call your local MB dealer and see how they address the issue, if that doesn't work to your satisfaction, contact MB regional
Old 11-15-2006, 07:49 PM

2007 E63 AMG
GL450 Issue

Yes, and someone responsed to my post from benzworld.org. Even though if I open the door, it will automatically goto park mode. Still doesn't make sense.
I already called my sales and he said "REALLY, that is odd. That should be happened. He was shock too. Now he is going to talk to the technican about it and let me know what happen.

And here is the other person replied to me.

What you are seeing is documented behavior.
On cars with KeylessGo, you need to open the driver door in order for the transmission to automatically shift to Park. On cars with SmartKey only, you need to remove SmartKey from ignition for the transmission to automatically shift to Park. I think both of these features are implemented so you could turn off the engine and have the car pulled through the car wash.

Here's what the GL 450 manual says on page 192:

Quote:

KEYLESS-GO*:

Keep in mind that turning off the engine using the KEYLESS-GO start/stop button alone will not automatically shift the transmission to park position P. Only when the driver’s door is opened, will the transmission automatically shift to park position P.

Even though this is possible, make it a practice to always shift into park position P before turning off the engine and removing the SmartKey from the starter switch, or when using KEYLESS-GO*, before turning off the engine with the start/stop button and opening the driver’s door.

Here's how the SmartKey works:
Quote:

SmartKey:

If you turn off the engine using the SmartKey and remove the SmartKey from the starter switch, the transmission will shift to park position P automatically. Keep in mind that turning off the engine with the SmartKey alone

Originally Posted by blazinginder
This is DEFINATELY a defect, its VERY unsafe that it allows you to turn off the car while in drive, call your local MB dealer and see how they address the issue, if that doesn't work to your satisfaction, contact MB regional
Old 11-16-2006, 07:10 AM

Wink

Not sure what you guys learn in driving test in America, but why would you ever get out of a car without the handbrake on and in park (or in gear if manual gearbox)?

One of the posts says if you open the door it goes into park, well that makes it hard to get out and have the car roll away.

I don't have keyless go, but if I turn off the via the key whilst in drive the engine turns off and if I pull the key out it goes into park. If the car rolls out of control while I am behind the wheel I would say that is my fault.

Am I missing something? I mean, if you leave the engine running, switch to neutral and take your foot of the brake the car will roll too.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:38 AM

Talking

Cedric,

I think I see what you are saying after some more thought. It is not that it doesnt go to park that you take issue with, but the fact that it is no longer in drive. From your description it behaves like it is in neutral. I agree that this seems odd, however the 7G probably needs power to hold and engage gears unless in Park.

I was always taught never to rely on an automatic gearbox holding gears on a steep hill in any case. For that matter I have had manuals that slip out of gear on very steep driveways.

I dont agree however with other views that the engine shouldn't turn off, of course it should if you are stationary. But I don't see a reason for not going into park once turned off. Would you ever want the car sitting in drive with the engine off? You can't restart from there (it tells you to put in park).

So in the end I agree with you.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:41 AM

Ok. Just went outside and tried opening the door with vehicle still in drive. There is real short delay but the vehicle does go into park. I can live with that. It would be nice if there was a red light to say put it in park before turning it off, but that would make you have to switch to the smart key at the car wash. I'm fine with the current setup now!!! (After I have already emailed MBUSA) lol
Old 11-16-2006, 04:39 PM

2007 E63 AMG
Smile GL 450 Issue

BigJim - Basically my point is consider safety issue. Just like my 2003 E500, Lets say once I back up the car in the garage and by accident I press the "STOP" button, the dash will show me a red message like I am in "D" mode. And it will not stop the engine.

But for this GL is totally different. Once you press the "STOP" button in "D" mode. The car will still act like in Neutal , it can slide back and forward. If someone behind me, that could cause an accident. Or you might hit something.

I know once you open the door, it will engage to "P" mode. But what if we are still inside the car and not ready to get off yet.

EFant - I can definitely live with that no problem. But just wonder why the setup is different than other cars.
At least show us the red message. With my 2003 E500 keyless go. Everytime I goto a car wash, I give them
the smartkey

Anywanys, I think thats the way they built GL. I am doubt that they will re-program that. May be the next batch or a year later.

So far I like the car very much, feel solid, doesn't feel like driving the SUV. And this GL plays mp3 and ipod.

But this is not really my type of car, but when you have kids, this is GOOD

Last edited by Cedric1031; 11-16-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Pssshh....more pics of the wife please.

I still think the reason it's different with the GL is because of the 7G-Tronic.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:50 PM

2007 E63 AMG
Smile

hahahaha sicko !
I do agree the tranny is totally differet.

Pssshh....more pics of the wife please.

I still think the reason it's different with the GL is because of the 7G-Tronic.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by Cedric1031
hahahaha sicko !
I do agree the tranny is totally differet.
Pictures of the Porsche should suffice.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:07 PM

2007 E63 AMG
GL450 Issue

No that really don't give me enough horse power.
I need to add this to it.

Pictures of the Porsche should suffice.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:57 PM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
Originally Posted by BigJim
Not sure what you guys learn in driving test in America, but why would you ever get out of a car without the handbrake on and in park (or in gear if manual gearbox)?

One of the posts says if you open the door it goes into park, well that makes it hard to get out and have the car roll away.

I don't have keyless go, but if I turn off the via the key whilst in drive the engine turns off and if I pull the key out it goes into park. If the car rolls out of control while I am behind the wheel I would say that is my fault.

Am I missing something? I mean, if you leave the engine running, switch to neutral and take your foot of the brake the car will roll too.

I agree if you can't remember to put it in park before you shut it off maybe you shouldn't be driving.

That mentality is one of the biggest problems with this country, take responsibility for your actions and don't blame the car for its inability to protect you from yourself.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:24 PM

2007 E63 AMG
This is a new 7-G Electronic shifter. I am sure not everyone get used to it. We are not blaming the car for its inability. It is something that MB should have it nicely done just like the E class or other higher grade model. I doubt that you understand the keyless go thing on the GL compare to another models.

Originally Posted by pas
I agree if you can't remember to put it in park before you shut it off maybe you shouldn't be driving.

That mentality is one of the biggest problems with this country, take responsibility for your actions and don't blame the car for its inability to protect you from yourself.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 745 Likes on 726 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
wow... i've always wondered about keyless go...
they should enable KG button ONLY when the gear is in "P" and disable it at all other times... not very hard to do i assume...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GL450 Issue Continue....