GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Keyless Go Question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Keyless Go Question...

We had intially been interested in getting the keyless go, but...

Rumor has it that when any of the doors are open, the door chime will sound. Normally on a regular keyed vehicle, the keys have to be in the ignition for this to happen... but with the keyless go, it sounds like any time the keys are anywhere near the vehicle. Ding Ding.

My wife says this would really bug the **** out of her while she is getting the kids loaded. Can anyone confirm that the chime sounds when ANY of the doors are open as opposed to just the driver's door?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have keyless go in my new ML63, and it does not chime when the doors open. I don't know about the GL, although I assume the electronics are similar.

I also have keyless go on my 05 E55, and it chimes when you open the door. It can be switched off by pushing the up button on the steering wheel, but it's a real nuisance.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:47 PM

I also have a keyless go question. What do you do at a valet or carwash? do you have to give the "key" to the valet/carwash attendant or can you override it?
Old 12-09-2006, 10:56 AM

04 E500 4MATIC, 07 GL450, 89 300E
Our GL does not Chime.

Valet - we just hand over the key.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:26 AM

I just take the keys off the keyless remote (so they don't have access to my house key since address is in glove compartment on registration) and drop the remote in the cupholder or armrest compartment of my car. The valets and carwash people are use to just turning the keyless start or pushing the start button depending on your type of start.

Originally Posted by Taz0369
I also have a keyless go question. What do you do at a valet or carwash? do you have to give the "key" to the valet/carwash attendant or can you override it?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:32 PM

'03 E55
Keyless Go Door Chime

On my E55, the chime only sounds when the driver's door is open, not the other doors.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:52 PM

05 Boxster S, 328i, Gl450
Our GL doesn't seem to ever chime. Not even sure what the chime sounds like. I thought maybe I was just tuning it out so I walked out into the garage just now with the key in my pocket and opened some of the doors. No chime. I started the engine, shut it off and opened the door-- no chime.

I did valet the car on Saturday night and I wondered a little how they would handle it but there were high-end cars everywhere so I figured they should be used to keyless go. They did just fine. For those unfamiliar with the keyless go in the GL, the start/stop button pops out and you can optionally insert the key into the ignition and start the car in the traditional method. When I picked up the car for the night, the valet had done this and left the start/stop button in the cup holder. I think they probably left the key in the car while it was parked since it was secured in a parking garage with plenty of security.

We love the keyless go

Trending Topics

Old 12-09-2006, 04:19 PM

06 CLS55, 07 GL450, 07 GMC Yukon, 06 Pontiac Vibe
Just checked my GL. It only chimes, when you open the driver's side door with the ignition off with a display message telling you to take your key. It does not chime when the other doors are opened, nor does the driver's side chime if the engine is running.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Question on the keyless go...can you start the car with the key fob in your pocket?
Old 12-09-2006, 05:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by ahurst
Question on the keyless go...can you start the car with the key fob in your pocket?
Yes, and unlock the doors...
Old 12-09-2006, 08:50 PM
JAM

SL600
With the smart key in your pocket you can:

Start the engine,
Shut the engine,
Unlock the doors,
Lock the doors,
Open the hatch,
Close the hatch,
Close the hatch and lock all doors,
Rollup the windows and close the sunroof.

--All by pushing various switches, or touching the door handles.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:09 PM
JAM

SL600
BTW, no constant dinging with my GL's keyless go. I have EVERY option, except rear seat video, and KG is on my top 5 list of favorite options. Get it.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by JAM
BTW, no constant dinging with my GL's keyless go. I have EVERY option, except rear seat video, and KG is on my top 5 list of favorite options. Get it.
Jam, I have one on order for delivery next month with everything but Distronic...i decided since it wasn't Distronic Plus, it probably wasn't really worth it...what is your opinion of Distronic? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:51 AM
JAM

SL600
Carprsn---

Ah, forgot about Distronic--make it two options that I don't have--DISTRONIC and rear seat video (but I do have independent rear audio).

I really did not think the distronic was worth the price. I rarely use cruise control, let alone the need for distronic. The one thing I like about the concept of distronic is the proximity warning that works even when the cruise is not engaged. I suppose this could be helpful when not paying attention to the road, but then again, by the time the alarms goes off, you will have probably already hit what they system is warning you about.

The following is but may be of interest: They really had to scour the country to find a car with the combination of options that I wanted. At the time I ordered, MB could not keep up with the demand for rear climate, and rearview camera was just starting to be added (remember it was not available initially).

Rear climate is an absolute must, in my opinion. In my 2000 ML and E320 wagon, and even in my 97 S-class, air conditioning in the rear was always an issue. I figured that as big as the GL is, it would need the extra ducting and fans. The rear climate also includes the infrared glass for added heat resistance, and I think it is required for the double pane glass that my GL has.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Almost a Member!

A note about Distronic...it is by far my favorite option...and I have all of 'em except for rear seat DVD. Although it is not Distronic Plus (which will actually stop the vehicle in case of collision detection), Distronic on the GL450 will, if necessary, apply up to 20% of the vehicle's breaking power to slow the vehicle. You'd be surprised how much 20% really is. I was somewhat taken back the other day when I was cruising down the highway at about 75mph and some idiot pulled in front of me while I had Distronic on. The GL reacted immediately and started breaking heavily to slow the vehicle. It was really amazing. The radar system is very accurate and works well around most curves. Even when the Distronic is off, the system will warn you via beeps and flashing red indicator when it thinks a collision is imminent.

One note...on GL's equipped with Distronic, you can not use cruise control without using the Distronic feature...not that it really matters.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:06 PM

03 E55
Also, fyi in really bad inclement weather, distronic will sometimes "turn off" because the radar can't work properly. Not a big deal, and if the weather is that bad you probably shouldn't be in cruise anyway imho.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Thanks for the info folks... I went ahead and went with the keyless go.