GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Decided to let go the LexusGX470 and get the GL450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Decided to let go the LexusGX470 and get the GL450

I really like Lexus but its traction system is just not comparable to the Mercedes 4-matic system. In moderate to heavy snow condition the SUV fish tail too easily. My previous SUV 01'ML320 with the same Dunlop grandtrek tires was significantly better in snow than the Lexus. I was going to order snow tires but that would only mask the deficiency of the Lexus traction system. After 1.5 years it is time to move on to a safer SUV. So good bye Lexus hello to GL450.

I am considering Barolo Red with Macadamia interior(not ruling out the charcoal too) I have a few questions.

1) Is the 3-zone climate control a must have?
2) Voice control-I was told this is only a factory option and can not be install at the dealer. Is this true?
3) What is the current level of discount or pricing?

Here are the options I want.

1) Premium package
2) Heating package
3) Sunroof package
4) Keyless go
5) Rearview camera
6) Bi-xenon lights
7) Appearance package(Maybe not)

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

John
Old 01-31-2007, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320 Sedan
1. I think. But I also have two kids and we use this feature.
2. True. Get it. I love it so far!
3. Varies by region so do your homework. Deals can be found if you're willing to order which it looks like you will.

I have a CDI and love it so far.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:55 PM

3 Porsche rotation
I have 2 children also and sometime one do use the 3rd seat. I do use the rear AC frequently in the summer in the Lexus, especially the 3rd seat is occupied. I guess I just answer my own question. If I want the rear AC I will need to order the SUV because according to my dealer the rear AC is difficult to find in the existing inventory, with the color I want.

John
Old 01-31-2007, 11:15 PM

Don't pass on RSES bcos of its price, its great for kids AND it can make your GL interior look like biz class flight seats . We special ordered just for this as all close by dealers had very few GLs w/ RSES in their lot.

Since you have kids get PE version of the runnig board *factory installed*, its twice the factory price if u get it thru parts dept.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Almost a Member!

'07 GL450
Originally Posted by JohnAMG
I have 2 children also and sometime one do use the 3rd seat. I do use the rear AC frequently in the summer in the Lexus, especially the 3rd seat is occupied. I guess I just answer my own question. If I want the rear AC I will need to order the SUV because according to my dealer the rear AC is difficult to find in the existing inventory, with the color I want.

John
I think you should go with 3-zone climate, reading the posts everyone suggests getting it, specially for the summer. If you're having trouble ordering it, have your dealer search for an allocation with 3-zone already in the configuration...he can then change the order to your need (including color, packages, options, leather, etc). Let him search hard.

As for pricing, I would suggest searching around (use edmunds.com and call around), then play the dealers' prices against each other a couple of times till you get the best price. Also, keep in mind that dealers get kick-backs when they sell a certain number of vehicles, this means more money from MBenz on the sale, thus more discount capacity to you...so shop around and see who gives you the best price.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by JohnAMG
I really like Lexus but its traction system is just not comparable to the Mercedes 4-matic system. In moderate to heavy snow condition the SUV fish tail too easily. My previous SUV 01'ML320 with the same Dunlop grandtrek tires was significantly better in snow than the Lexus. I was going to order snow tires but that would only mask the deficiency of the Lexus traction system. After 1.5 years it is time to move on to a safer SUV. So good bye Lexus hello to GL450.

I am considering Barolo Red with Macadamia interior(not ruling out the charcoal too) I have a few questions.

1) Is the 3-zone climate control a must have?
2) Voice control-I was told this is only a factory option and can not be install at the dealer. Is this true?
3) What is the current level of discount or pricing?

Here are the options I want.

1) Premium package
2) Heating package
3) Sunroof package
4) Keyless go
5) Rearview camera
6) Bi-xenon lights
7) Appearance package(Maybe not)

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

John
Most of the points have been covered but the color. If you order, the Barolo Red will not be available until builds after June 1st.

Get the 3 zone and the voice control...you will not regret it. The 3 zone also includes the Infrared Glass which will help with the cooling.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
Pricing

Bought mine Jan 26 for $1000 over invoice --- actually $1600 over invoice which included all dealer fees. Didn't haggle probably could have done better. Dealers in Fl have an enormous inventory and with the 550 coming for 2008 even better deals are likely in coming months.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
I would certainly get distronic and multi contour seats and sirius, if they are not included in th epremium pkg.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:41 PM

3 Porsche rotation
I have a question regarding the macadamia interior. All my previous and existing MB all have charcoal interior. I have 2 young childrens(3.5 and 1.5 years old). How easily does the macadamia interior get stain or dirty? And is the maintenance of this color relatively easy? My dealer is able to locate a GL450 borelo red/macadamia leather with the right options but I am having second thought about the interior color. That color combination is beautiful but I am a little concern about the maintenance of a lighter interior. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

John
Old 02-04-2007, 08:33 AM

2001 c240 2005MDX(sold) GL450 ordered 11/06
Smile

I originally ordered my GL with the macadamia interior but something in the back of my mind kept bothering me about it and the light color, and I only have one child (11). Finally called dealer and changed it to black(w/obsidian black exterior). I sleep better now.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:45 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
just a matter of taste, i guess. My wife's Java has been just as easy to clean as any charcoal or ash i have seen. Plus i think it looks "warmer" than the others...again, there are as many opinions as ()...
Old 02-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Almost a Member!

One note on 3-zone climate control...if you use a radar detector, it will NOT work with the infrared glass used with this package.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by ahurst
One note on 3-zone climate control...if you use a radar detector, it will NOT work with the infrared glass used with this package.
There are three areas (I think it's 3) on the infrared windshield which will allow mounting for detectors. They are defined in the manual. Whether they are convenient for the placement of radar detectors I don't know.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
There are three areas (I think it's 3) on the infrared windshield which will allow mounting for detectors. They are defined in the manual. Whether they are convenient for the placement of radar detectors I don't know.
Does not help...Car and Driver mentions this in their review of the GL...said the opening in the windshield for toll booth transponders that you could use for radar had no affect - the detector did not work...
Old 02-10-2007, 07:01 PM

3 Porsche rotation
My wife has decided the only color she like is Barolo Red and nothing else. My dealer is only able to find 1 car(at late production stage) belong to MB of Sarasota, FL, and my dealer is having difficulty getting the trade. This particular GL450 has premium packge, appearance package, backup camera, lighting package, heating package, sunroof package, voice control, multicontour seats, trailer hitch, 3-zone climate control, macadamia leather, running board and keyless go. It is too difficult to locate one with backup camera, keyless go, voice control and 3-zone climate control in one car, and these are important options to us. In anticipating the deal falls through, I just order another Barolo Red for June build Man, I hate waiting.

John