GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Dead GL320!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dead GL320!!

Our GL320 died on us yesterday. Wife was heading out of the neighborhood and it began to sputter and lose power. She was able to drive home but could not make it up our driveway...not enough power. Still waiting to hear from the dealer what the issue is. Less than 1000 miles!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Sounds like you may have a similar problem to the one AutoSaurus about 2 months ago... Turned out to be an intercooler hose problem. They actually had to install a redesigned hose because the problem kept occurring.

I will let you read the rest.

Check out these threads...

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/181774-vance-we-have-problem.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/182269-vance-we-have-another-problem.html
Old 04-04-2007, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by tutone
Our GL320 died on us yesterday. Wife was heading out of the neighborhood and it began to sputter and lose power. She was able to drive home but could not make it up our driveway...not enough power. Still waiting to hear from the dealer what the issue is. Less than 1000 miles!
What was the build date?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:22 PM

1997 E320 Sedan
Hose.

Funny how most of the reported ones have happened in the SE.

Yes, what is your build date?
Old 04-05-2007, 06:51 AM

How do I find out my build date? On BMWs it's actually on the vehicle. Anyone know? By the way, Autosaurus, what exactly IS the final answer on this intercooler hose issue. I'm going to the dealer this AM to pick up my "fixed" vehicle.

Last edited by tutone; 04-05-2007 at 06:58 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-05-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do I find out my build date? On BMWs it's actually on the vehicle. Anyone know? By the way, Autosaurus, what exactly IS the final answer on this intercooler hose issue. I'm going to the dealer this AM to pick up my "fixed" vehicle.
After the fact, but you should have printed the thread of AS's problems and given your dealer a helping hand.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:43 AM

1997 E320 Sedan
There is a black and white sticker in the drivers door jam lower right side. Its printed something like 01/07 which indicates January 2007.

The final fix is a new intercooler hose. Check the other thread for more details. Make sure the dealership just didnt' tighten the clamp but actually replaced the hose with the new one made in February/March.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:44 AM

GL320 and C350 on order
Just want to to jump up on the soap box for a moment.....

All one needs to do is a very little amount of research to find what the problem is and what the solution is just in this forum. I just don't see why people go to a "Fan" forum for a great product without a very small amount of research and reading. We are talking about a hose when replaced is a fix. That is it and Autosaurus did a great job of documenting it to everyones benefit. Come on now lets deal with facts and not make mountains out of mole hills. With only 19 posts I'm not stating I'm an expert but by reading just a few posts anyone can find the answer.

PLEASE READ!!

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181774

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182269

The GL320 CDI is a great vehicle.

Last edited by Norris; 04-05-2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:31 PM

Actually, Norris, I had read Autosaurus' threads and had a feeling the intercooler hose was the issue. I posted primarily to highlight the fact that MBUSA needs to fix a recurring problem and to share my overall frustration with a very expensive SUV. I had hoped MBUSA had truly fixed the problem, but I am now waiting on the newly engineered hose. Mine was 03/07 build date, BTW, so I had hoped the "new" hose was installed.

My vehicle lost power on the way home last night with the temporary "fix" after less than 100 miles. Hopefully when I take it in tomorrow the new hose will be ready.

Lack of research was not an issue, I assure you! You can come down from your soap box now.

Originally Posted by Norris
Just want to to jump up on the soap box for a moment.....

All one needs to do is a very little amount of research to find what the problem is and what the solution is just in this forum. I just don't see why people go to a "Fan" forum for a great product without a very small amount of research and reading. We are talking about a hose when replaced is a fix. That is it and Autosaurus did a great job of documenting it to everyones benefit. Come on now lets deal with facts and not make mountains out of mole hills. With only 19 posts I'm not stating I'm an expert but by reading just a few posts anyone can find the answer.

PLEASE READ!!

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181774

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182269

The GL320 CDI is a great vehicle.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
I had hoped MBUSA had truly fixed the problem, but I am now waiting on the newly engineered hose. Mine was 03/07 build date, BTW, so I had hoped the "new" hose was installed.
This bothers the hell out of me! This is unacceptable that MBUSA would continue to allow the build of vehicles with a failed hose. Did they run out of the new hose so they just installed the old faulty hose until the new supply arrived in Alabama. AS had the problem in Jan build and here it is with your's being built in Mar with the same bad hose.

Also your dealer should be held responsible for doing a "fix" that has been documented as unworkable with MB when AS (and others) dealt with it in Jan. I sure as hell hope the factory has no more of the faulty hoses and is now installing the proper part!
Old 04-15-2007, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Actually, Norris, I had read Autosaurus' threads and had a feeling the intercooler hose was the issue. I posted primarily to highlight the fact that MBUSA needs to fix a recurring problem and to share my overall frustration with a very expensive SUV. I had hoped MBUSA had truly fixed the problem, but I am now waiting on the newly engineered hose. Mine was 03/07 build date, BTW, so I had hoped the "new" hose was installed.

My vehicle lost power on the way home last night with the temporary "fix" after less than 100 miles. Hopefully when I take it in tomorrow the new hose will be ready.

Lack of research was not an issue, I assure you! You can come down from your soap box now.

And Norris........why are you objecting to someone posting? Sure there have been other posts on the subject, but, the traffic on this forum is sooooo light that it's nice to see some activity even if it rehashes old issues! Now if you want to see a forum that has an overload......I am a member of the Corvette forum and the traffic is huge and time can be greatly saved by a little research. Just my opinion......but I encourage all to post whatever questions they have ....... it keeps us "enlivened" so to speak!
Old 04-15-2007, 10:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blittle
And Norris........why are you objecting to someone posting? Sure there have been other posts on the subject, but, the traffic on this forum is sooooo light that it's nice to see some activity even if it rehashes old issues! Now if you want to see a forum that has an overload......I am a member of the Corvette forum and the traffic is huge and time can be greatly saved by a little research. Just my opinion......but I encourage all to post whatever questions they have ....... it keeps us "enlivened" so to speak!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:53 PM

GL320 and C350 on order
Originally Posted by blittle
I'm not objecting to someone posting. I agree with Nevada Jack on this issue.