Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00 BMW 528it, 03 Duramax, 07 GL320
Transmission Blew Up

I posted this on Benzworld.com also.

EDIT: It turns out it wasn't the transmission but an intercooler hose coming loose. But there is more to the story as you will see by reading on through this thread.

We were on our way to a wedding on Saturday evening when it happened. Cruising at 75mph and suddenly there was a miss that felt like we were running out of gas. No warning light came on but it was obvious something was very wrong. The miss lasted for about 10 seconds and the car would not accelerate at all. We managed to go another mile with the GL maintaining 1500 RPM which allowed us to exit the highway-not before the GL had some pretty hard shakes and shudders. I pulled over and turned it off and then tried turning it back on. There was some serious grinding like vibrations and the whole vehicle shook(while in neutral). I put it in gear to move to a safer parking place and it lurched forward then shuddered without power repetitively until we made it the 150 feet to a legal parking spot along side the road. We called the dealer then Mercedes assistance to retrieve the vehicle. My guess is that the tranny is toast. We had to hitch-hike to the wedding or risk missing it(it was within 2 miles). The biggest bummer is that we missed our good friends ceremony because of this (ceremony started at 6:00 and was over by 6:15).

It's a GL320 and we purchased it less than 2 weeks ago. It has 500 miles on it. I had it in the shop last week for hard downshifting. I made a few mentions about the tranny having problems on this forum.

In this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=184683&page=2

And in my post here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/190817-still-having-transmission-issues.html

I'm interested to hear what you would expect MB to do if this were your vehicle?

Last edited by str8line; 04-23-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
If it were mine and it is a transimission problem, I think I would insist on a new transmission (not a rebuild or fix) unless they can clearly show you that it's a minor fix. It's way too early in your car's life to be fixing stuff like this and if they did not get the transmission right the first time then it's time for a new one. Just my opinion and I am sure your dealer will have a different one......
Old 04-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Almost a Member!

If I were you

It seems to me Its not in the cards for you to have a GL320 I would request the benz dealer to put you in a S-class and call it a day.

Wait about two more years and then see if the have stepped up to the plate
Old 04-23-2007, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by str8line
We were on our way to a wedding on Saturday evening when it happened. Cruising at 75mph and suddenly there was a miss that felt like we were running out of gas. No warning light came on but it was obvious something was very wrong. The miss lasted for about 10 seconds and the car would not accelerate at all. We managed to go another mile with the GL maintaining 1500 RPM which allowed us to exit the highway-not before the GL had some pretty hard shakes and shudders. I pulled over and turned it off and then tried turning it back on. There was some serious grinding like vibrations and the whole vehicle shook(while in neutral). I put it in gear to move to a safer parking place and it lurched forward then shuddered without power repetitively until we made it the 150 feet to a legal parking spot along side the road. We called the dealer then Mercedes assistance to retrieve the vehicle. My guess is that the tranny is toast. We had to hitch-hike to the wedding or risk missing it(it was within 2 miles). The biggest bummer is that we missed our good friends ceremony because of this (ceremony started at 6:00 and was over by 6:15).

It's a GL320 and we purchased it less than 2 weeks ago. It has 500 miles on it. I had it in the shop last week for hard downshifting. I made a few mentions about the tranny having problems on this forum.

In this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...=184683&page=2

And in my post here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190817

I'm interested to hear what you would expect MB to do if this were your vehicle?
Tough start on a new car. It may not be the transmission but rather that intercooler hose problem again. The roughness may be due to the engine not functioning properly. Please post when you get a report from your dealer.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Tough start on a new car. It may not be the transmission but rather that intercooler hose problem again. The roughness may be due to the engine not functioning properly. Please post when you get a report from your dealer.
Thanks NJ,

Based on what I felt if it is the problem you mentioned I'm going to ask for a extended drivetrain warranty. Whatever went wrong, it felt like a grenade went off somewhere in the drivetrain.

The service advisor just called me and asked exactly what happened. The service tech told him the warning light was on this morning but I told Richard(sevice advisor) that the warning light never came on during our problem. I thought it was wierd that the light didn't come on at all.

Last edited by str8line; 04-23-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by BeanCounter
If it were mine and it is a transimission problem, I think I would insist on a new transmission (not a rebuild or fix) unless they can clearly show you that it's a minor fix. It's way too early in your car's life to be fixing stuff like this and if they did not get the transmission right the first time then it's time for a new one. Just my opinion and I am sure your dealer will have a different one......

I was thinking the exact same thing, and if it's a minor fix still request a extended drivetrain warranty. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
Good luck with the repair and keeps us posted on the fix. NevadaJack may be right on his diagnosis. After reading your post again you mentioned that the car was shaking when it was in neutral. Problem may be engine related. Again good luck and MB should defintely do something for you to keep you happy...
Old 04-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I posted this on Benzworld also, where another poster called it just like you did NJ:

Yup, that's what it was according to the dealer. With what I felt I can't imagine that there wasn't some related damage to the drivetrain, which concerns me for the long term reliability of our new vehicle.

The fact that this problem was documented here(or on MBworld.com-see links) by a few others nearly two months ago makes me think that Mercedes might be knowingly putting its customers at risk. Are they waiting for the problem to arise instead of replacing the intercooler hose on every GL320 BEFORE it is sold off the lot?

What if this would have happened while off-roading in Southern Utah on a 100degree day? Or while in the left lane of a 5 lane highway during rush hour with no left lane shoulder? I have a 1 and 4 year old that are usually in the vehicle!

Here are some links to others that have suffered the same fate:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/181774-vance-we-have-problem.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/182269-vance-we-have-another-problem.html

I think at a minimum MB should replace this hose on every car before it goes off the lot and I can't imagine why they would risk the PR nightmare(and possible lawsuits) that could ensue very quickly by neglecting this responsibility. As for myself and the others who have suffered, I think a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty would be a fair offer from MB.

Last edited by str8line; 04-23-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Almost a Member!

UPDATE: It turns out my GL already had the updated hose, but according to the shop foreman it was not secured tightly enough at the factory. They tightened it and said it was good to go. I recommend all 320 owners have theirs checked out.

Now if they could get a handle on the transmission...I really love this vehicle but right now I am a little frustrated.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'07 Carrera S, '31 A 5W hot rod, 4Runner. Sold CLK55
Sorry to hear about your problems. Hopefully hey have resolved the issue. Though it is not reassuring to occur on your band new GL. Did you push for the dealer giving you the extended warranty?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:53 AM
Almost a Member!

Just putting this back up here with all of the hose problems...