Engine Oil Warning Message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI
Engine Oil Warning Message

I have a "check engine oil at next fueling message". I'm at about 5K miles and I understand it's pretty common for diesels to burn oil when breaking in, so I'm just going to add a bit more.

Does anyone know if the warning message will automatically be cancelled when I add oil, or does it need to be reset by the dealer?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:07 AM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by Comfy_Couch
I have a "check engine oil at next fueling message". I'm at about 5K miles and I understand it's pretty common for diesels to burn oil when breaking in, so I'm just going to add a bit more.

Does anyone know if the warning message will automatically be cancelled when I add oil, or does it need to be reset by the dealer?
If the warning is really due to low oil, it should reset itself. However MB had a problem a while back with faulty crankshaft sensors giving low oil warnings. That resulted in a recall. I suspect your problem is not that sensor because your car is so new, but if the oil light doesn't go out after you add then you should consult the dealer.

BTW, in 30K miles, I have never had to add a single drop of oil to my car. I did have the faulty sensor, though, and that required a few days to repair.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by oinick
If the warning is really due to low oil, it should reset itself. However MB had a problem a while back with faulty crankshaft sensors giving low oil warnings. That resulted in a recall. I suspect your problem is not that sensor because your car is so new, but if the oil light doesn't go out after you add then you should consult the dealer.

BTW, in 30K miles, I have never had to add a single drop of oil to my car. I did have the faulty sensor, though, and that required a few days to repair.
Thanks for the info - mine was built in 1/08, so I'm guessing it's not the sensor issue, but if the warning doesn't reset I will have the dealer check it.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
I have also gotten this warning with the 1st 1000 miles. They think it might be a faulty sensor, car is currently at dealership.

It's been a great 1000 miles though!

-m
Old 08-11-2008, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Heed the warning on the sticker in your engine compartment and do not add ANY QUANTITY of non-Mercedes 229.51 motor oil.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
We have had the same warning come on about 6 times in 3K miles since new. It seems to happen whenever the fuel guage is close to the 1/4 mark so I thought it was just a planned warning to check the oil early in the life of the engine.

We are going to have the hitch receiver recall done this Friday so I'll have them look at this issue also, as well as the 'SRS' warning light that came on and stayed on this weekend; (but is now off).

Bish
Old 08-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by lkchris
Heed the warning on the sticker in your engine compartment and do not add ANY QUANTITY of non-Mercedes 229.51 motor oil.
Thanks - luckily there's an outfit right here in town that sells the difficult to find MB approved Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 and I was able to pick up a case (my dealer doesn't sell it by the quart). The oil was near the 'low' mark on the dipstick. I added a quart and now it's right where it should be, and the warning has disappeared.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:16 PM

2009 GL320 CDI Bluetec
I had the check oil light problem in my 08 GL 320. I added 2 quarts in 6500 kms, the oil was at the full mark and I was still getting the check oil light at next fueling. It would go away after a while.

I guess I had a defective sensor I believe.

I added Mobil 1 5w30 syntetic and the dealer said it was fine.

Marc
Old 08-12-2008, 01:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by skymarc

I added Mobil 1 5w30 syntetic and the dealer said it was fine.

Marc
Get the name of the person at the dealer who said that "5w30 was fine". Then, you can TRY to use that incorrect info in your fight for your upcoming Diesel Particulate Filter failure claim.

As for the level, when I have my oil changed, I insist and check that the dealer fills the oil to the full mark on the dipstick. In 31k miles, never had to add a drop.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by skymarc
II added Mobil 1 5w30 syntetic and the dealer said it was fine.
Dealer was mistaken.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:56 PM

2008 GL 550
The oil was near the 'low' mark on the dipstick.

I don't have my manual to check, but my salesperson said there was no way to check the oil, not even electronically like my Porsche. I would only know there was a problem if the oil was 1 qt low.

???

Oh, and that is the oil for the 550 as well? I was briefly looking at the manual yesterday and it was referring to some inserts that I didn't get a chance to find.

Last edited by Dakota GL; 08-12-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Get the name of the person at the dealer who said that "5w30 was fine". Then, you can TRY to use that incorrect info in your fight for your upcoming Diesel Particulate Filter failure claim.

As for the level, when I have my oil changed, I insist and check that the dealer fills the oil to the full mark on the dipstick. In 31k miles, never had to add a drop.
Check out this from the online manual stickied at the top of this forum for European models:

"MB Sheet Number (vehicles with a diesel particle filter) 228.51/229.31/229.51"

-and-

"In the event that the:

engine oil brand

grade (MB Sheet number)

SAE classification (viscosity)

is not available, you can use another mineral or synthetic engine oil which has been approved by Mercedes-Benz.

Mixing oils reduces the benefits of high-grade engine oil."

So, it looks like they are only going hard-core on 229.51 in America, and it seems to have more to do with service interval, than particulate filter failure, even though that's what they say...
Old 08-12-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by dgiturbo

As per manual the correct oil level is half way between low and Hi mark. MB will void warranty if overfilled.

For those who are getting oil level warning but your oil level is correct, check with dealer to make sure you have newer mounting bracket for oil level sensor. Some of the brackets had faulty design and the sensor would not be mounted deep enough to read oil level at all conditions.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by Dakota GL
I don't have my manual to check, but my salesperson said there was no way to check the oil, not even electronically like my Porsche. I would only know there was a problem if the oil was 1 qt low.

???

Oh, and that is the oil for the 550 as well? I was briefly looking at the manual yesterday and it was referring to some inserts that I didn't get a chance to find.
The oil dipstick is located in the front left of the engine compartment and has a red tip. It has MIN and MAX markings - just pull it out, wipe off, reinsert and check - the oil level should be in the middle.

The oil referenced earlier in this thread is specifically for MB diesel engines. You can find the 550 oil specs in the approved products pamphlet that came with your owner's manual.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:04 PM

2008 GL 550
The oil dipstick is located in the front left of the engine compartment and has a red tip.

This is hilarious to me: I had the manager of a dealer who has been selling MB for 30 years tell me there was "no way" of me checking the oil level! I figured he oughta know. Now about everything else he told me..........
Old 08-13-2008, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Few things:

1.) I had my sensor replaced, my tech is actually a personal friend and said there was a TSB on it.
2.) My dealer gave me 3 quarts of the 229.51 oil... roughly $7/quart.
3.) I love my diesel GL...
Old 08-14-2008, 08:02 PM

GL450
I've had the message come up twice. one time the dealer said that it was a tad bit low and the other time they couldn't confirm that the message appeared. They told me not to worry about it; it may be a glitch.
Glitches happen once, maybe twice. If it happens again, I am taking it back
Old 08-14-2008, 09:52 PM

2007 GL450
Dealer Just Filled It To MAX

My wife just brought our GL in for the trailer hitch recall. We told the dealer that we have had a problem with getting the check oil message even when the dipstick had the oil level right in the middle of Min/Max lines. I would add a half quart of oil, barely changes the dipstick level and the message would go away, but it would come back a few weks later. Still with the dipstick level right in the middle of Min/Max lines. I do not have any oil leaks under the truck.

The dealer did not refer to any service bulletins for our truck and did not change any sensors. Just noted on the worksheet "topped off oil." Our truck is a 2008 which was built just before we took delivery in November 2007. I checked the dipstick when I got home from work and the oil was just filled up to the Max line. I guess that was their fix?

I don't know, I am going to call him tommorrow. Seems to me you shouldn't get the warning message if the oil level is in the middle of the Min/Max lines on the dipstick.

Other note that I posted before in another thread is an on-line source for the oil that is recommended. You have to buy it in a case of 6.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...t=supplier+oil
Old 12-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
I've had the check oil warning come on a few times now, mostly after driving a while at highway speed, and the oil level is exactly where it should be. The dealer says per TSB on oil sensor they're replacing, but it's going to take a couple of days (apparently it's an involved job to get at the sensor). It always makes me nervous when things have to be disassembled and re-assembled at the dealer, though.

Those of you who had oil sensors replaced: how long did it take and did it resolve the issue? Did you get any sense as to what was involved? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
I've had the check oil warning come on a few times now, mostly after driving a while at highway speed, and the oil level is exactly where it should be. The dealer says per TSB on oil sensor they're replacing, but it's going to take a couple of days (apparently it's an involved job to get at the sensor). It always makes me nervous when things have to be disassembled and re-assembled at the dealer, though.

Those of you who had oil sensors replaced: how long did it take and did it resolve the issue? Did you get any sense as to what was involved? Thanks.

Dropped it off in the morning; picked it up a few hours later. Problem resolved completely re: incorrect oil level warning light coming on. Was never told it was an 'involved' job. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you; everything should go fine.

Bish
Old 01-02-2009, 01:34 AM

2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
I'm getting the check warning too while at highway speed. Although it would reset itself but come back on later.

When is the "right" time to check the oil level, wait approx 5 mins after the engine has been running or longer?

It seems if I check right after, the level would be at mid-point but if I wait say one hour or so then it would be much higher.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by SFML320
I'm getting the check warning too while at highway speed. Although it would reset itself but come back on later.

When is the "right" time to check the oil level, wait approx 5 mins after the engine has been running or longer?

It seems if I check right after, the level would be at mid-point but if I wait say one hour or so then it would be much higher.

Get the engine to operating temp, then turn it off and check the oil level in about 15-20 minutes. If it's fine, its the sensor issue.

Bish
Old 01-04-2009, 04:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLS450, 2015 E250BT 4Matic, 2007 GL320CDI, 2005 SLK350, 2001 SLK320

Had same problem here, also after (or during) highway driving. The dealer flashed new software. When I asked about a new sensor, the SA said that the new software fixes the problem 90% of the time. So far so good after several weeks. If you are nervous about surgery on the engine, you might try the software flash and see if that takes care of the problem.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by mbslk350
Had same problem here, also after (or during) highway driving. The dealer flashed new software. When I asked about a new sensor, the SA said that the new software fixes the problem 90% of the time. So far so good after several weeks. If you are nervous about surgery on the engine, you might try the software flash and see if that takes care of the problem.
Thanks, but too late. The car's at the dear undergoing surgery (and has been for a couple of days). I was supposed to get it back Friday but was told they "dinged" the oil pan in the process and had to order a new one. I'm really hoping it all goes back together again correctly, with no oil leaks or problems. I wish I had known about a software flash fix but the SA never mentioned this.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 PM

'08 GL 320CDI
Originally Posted by SFML320

ditto, ditto. I had the same experience. I'm taking it in later this week to see if I have a sensor problem. I did add a quart of Mobil 1, but still had the same message come on periodically during my holiday trip.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Warning Message