GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Is my dealer a jerk?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 Tesla M3SR+, 2017 GLS550, 2011 E350 Bluetec, 2007 GL450 (GONE), 2003 E500 (GONE)
Is my dealer a jerk?

The rain sensor doesn't work on my car. As a matter of fact it fell off the windshield and just hangs by its wire. I took that car to the dealer asking to fix it. The story I am getting that my car is pre-owned and the previous owner had windshield replaced (even though my car had genuine MB glass with no signs of replacement). Apparently, whoever did the windshield replacement didn't attach the sensor properly and broke mounting clips on the sensor's plate. Plus, I am told that there is no power being supplied to the sensor. The dealer says that MB wouldn't cover it under warranty and I would have to pay for new windshield and for tracing the power problem. Am I being taken by my service department? Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

Last edited by MB500; 04-02-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by MB500
The dealer says that MB wouldn't cover it under warranty and I would have to pay for new windshield and for tracing the power problem.
What other cars do you have serviced there? Have you taken the GL there every time, or at least a lot, since you bought it? (Heck, how long have you owned it, anyway?) If you're a regular customer, they really should fix it under "good will." If it's a car they sold you, and it was CPO, ask them why the certification didn't include making sure that piece worked as well?

Just my two bits.

STP
Old 04-02-2009, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML 500
The rain sensor doesn't work on my car. As a matter of fact it fell off the windshield and just hangs by its wire. I took that car to the dealer asking to fix it. The story I am getting that my car is pre-owned and the previous owner had windshield replaced (even though my car had genuine MB glass with no signs of replacement). Apparently, whoever did the windshield replacement didn't attach the sensor properly and broke mounting clips on the sensor's plate. Plus, I am told that there is no power being supplied to the sensor. The dealer says that MB wouldn't cover it under warranty and I would have to pay for new windshield and for tracing the power problem. I am being taken by my service department? Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.
go to another dealer. the same bs the dealer is giving you, another dealer can easily bs mbusa to allow them to fix the problem.

a bs line would be along the lines of ... "customer complains about rain sensor not working sometimes"

and they would return it with " verified customer complaint of bad rain sensor... original broken when removing. replaced with new sensor, tested and fix verified"

happens more often than you think.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:49 PM

2021 Tesla M3SR+, 2017 GLS550, 2011 E350 Bluetec, 2007 GL450 (GONE), 2003 E500 (GONE)
I am thinking to do what Vinceching has suggested. My car came out of state and wasn't purchased locally. I service my other MB at this dealer and has never had any problems. However, about nine months ago the dealership changed ownership and I have been noticing that they have been less than accommodating with 'good will' repairs. Overall quality of service has been going down as well as they laid off 50% of their service department.

This car has been at this dealer once before for some warranty repair. I've had the car for about 7 months and it now has 34k miles and about 18 months of warranty left. Since it never rains down in San Diego I haven't had a chance to check rain sensor in the past. Only recently I took the car up to the mountains and this is where I found out that the rain sensor was faulty.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 E320 Bluetec, 2008 GL320 CDI
Jerk, maybe, but high probability of being correct...

Just offering my $.02. If the windsheild was replaced, it very well could be MB glass. However most places will not replace the rain sensor when replacing the windshield. In Northern Virginia they don't believe in sweeping up after fixing road surfaces, so I go through many windshields, I digress....If the rain sensor is not replaced, more often than not it will not work again. There is a clear paste inside with the sensor and if the wrong paste is used it won't work.

Sooo, windshield may have been replaced and they did not replace the sensor, hence the problems. It should be replaced under good will. Maybe even go half way. That the rain sensor is not getting power is suspect and them wanting to replace your windshield is crazy, even if the clips are broke they must have some sort of adhesive that would work just fine.

Worst case, do without it.

Bryan
Old 04-03-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL450
This got me thinking...

I have an 08 GL450 which we purchased October of last year. On the way home after picking up the GL, I noticed a black smudge on the windshield. Turned out that there was a small chip on the windshield. Dealer agreed to replace the windshield for free.

Sorry, my wife actually drives the GL, but my question is - how does this rain sensor actually work? Does the wipers automatically come on when it starts raining? Or does the wiper automatically adjust its speed when it is raining AFTER the driver turns on the wipers?

Now I am getting paranoid whether or not the rain sensor is still working on our GL after the windshield was replaced.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:50 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
the rain sensor does work very well.

you twist the stalk to the first setting (less sensitive) and wipers will come on when it rains and stop when it does not. at least this is how it works on mine.

on the subject - unfortunately you are at the mercy of the good will of the dealer. you might also try another dealer or finding who replaced your glass (if practical) and requesting them to cover the repair.

alex
few cars
Old 04-04-2009, 12:33 AM

Being #$%$ed by the dealer -- PLEASE HELP!

I am absolutely furious with my local MB dealer and would like to get your perspective on what my next steps should be. I feel that I have been completely taken for a ride by the service department and it’s all related to the rain sensor I mentioned in one of my posts before.

My car has been at the local dealer for service/warranty work since Monday. Today is Friday and I was told that my car wasn’t ready since the dealer was still addressing the clunking noise issue. They ended up replacing one of the arms and also waiting for the ball joint to arrive on Monday. My wife and I had plans for the weekend and really needed our GL as opposed to the C-class that I was given as a loaner. The dealer told me that I could have my GL for the weekend (since it was just sitting at their garage) and could bring it back on Monday when parts arrived.

One of the issues that I had with my car was related to the rain sensor. As you recall my sensor fell off the windshield and the dealer was telling me that I needed a brand new glass and plus new sensor since there were some clips that have broken off the sensor’s mounting bracket. I was also told that it would not be covered by MB warranty (even though the car is still under full warranty) since the part wasn’t defective per se and just simply broken off. I was also informed that there was no power going to the sensor and connector that plugs into the sensor was broken. Well, I picked up my car this evening.

My advisor called in sick and I worked with another person at the dealership. First, they tried to charge me $60 for looking at the sensor. I said there was no way I would pay them the money since I was the one who informed them of the problem. Plus, it’s a two minute job to look at the sensor. Just pull the cover off and you will be to see if it there or not. They agreed to waive the charge as ‘good wil’.

I got into my car and started driving as I was in a hurry to pick up my daughter from school. Right after the start I’ve got the error message that my light sensor wasn’t functioning properly. I thought that it was just a one-time incident and the message would go away when I restart the car next time. As I drove the car to school I looked at the spot where the sensor used to be. There are little holes/fins in the cover so you can see through them. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the sensor wasn’t there. It was gone! I got to school and called the dealer immediately. I’ve got another service advisor whom I’ve never dealt before on the phone and explained my situation. He promised to call back. About 2 hours later I’ve got the call. Apparently he spoke with the technician and he told him that he’d put the ‘faulty’ sensor into the glove compartment. The adviser also informed me that the error I received about the light sensor was appropriate since the rain sensor is also the light sensor. He also said something about $360 charge to fix the thing.

As some folks suggested before, I was going to reattach the rain sensor and take it to another dealer with complaints that it didn’t work. Imagine my surprise when I found out that my dealer simply cut the connector that plugs into the sensor. I was shocked. There is just a bare wire hanging there with stripped wires. The connector is gone. So even if I were to attach the sensor and take it to another dealer they wouldn’t even look at it since connector had been cut off. I either would need a brand new connector or entire cable that probably runs under the roof liner.
Since I found out about this issue at about 5:50 at night calling back to the dealer didn’t produce any results – everyone was gone. I am planning of taking the car back in on Monday and voice my concern about the issue. Since I never asked them to fix it they should have never touched the connector (let alone completely cut it off). Plus, my lights were working absolutely fine when I brought the car in so I assume that they were feeding me with a bunch of BS regarding power not being present at the sensor. Why didn’t I get the error regarding my light sensor then?

What do you guys think I should do if they refuse to fix it? I am so mad at the dealer! Why did they have to cut it off is beyond my comprehension especially when I asked them not to fix it.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
I was also told that it would not be covered by MB warranty (even though the car is still under full warranty) since the part wasn’t defective per se and just simply broken off.
I'm so sorry for the trouble you're having, it sounds like they're making decisions for you without consulting you. The only thing I can tell you for sure is that on the initial issue, that statement above is true. A dealership/manufacturer will only replace things "under warranty" that involve defective parts, design or workmanship. Otherwise it'd be like you getting in an accident and saying they have to replace your bumper under warranty. That kind of thing.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Document everything.

And, tomorrow, when you go in to dealer start with the Service Manager.

All the best.