GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Quick Rear Skid Plate install question for those who have done it...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E500 4matic, 2014 GL320, 2013 C300, 2015 Stingray
Quick Rear Skid Plate install question for those who have done it...

I picked up a rear skid plate from my dealer the other day, it didn't have any screws/mounting hardware. Went back today, and he gave me a bag with 8pcs of 3/4" torx screws and nylon nuts.

Before i go drilling - can someone confirm if this sounds like the right hardware (vs maybe he just raided a screw bin)? The torx screws are stainless, but they aren't "chrome" and i don't have another GL here to compare against.

I read somewhere that the black plate had nuts attached to it which mine doesn't so i just want to make sure before i start. The 3/4" length also concerns me as it doesn't look like there's that much room between the bumper cover and the foam behind it in certain areas.

Thanks for any help.

Aceman
Old 08-15-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 CL500,& '18 GLS63. Gone: '83 500SEC,'99 500SL,'07GL450
Hi Aceman,
I'm sure that you looked in the bottom of the box that the rear skid plate came in for a little bag of nuts and bolts.
The parts picture shows that you'll need 8 of the following nuts:
A 000 990 32 82
Can't tell what they're made of though.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:54 PM

Nuts....

thx reddog - yeah i checked. But MB500 confirmed that i did have the correct hardware and the dealer actually ordered another skid plate that had the same hardware....i will be drilling today!

Aceman
Old 08-18-2009, 07:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by aceman
thx reddog - yeah i checked. But MB500 confirmed that i did have the correct hardware and the dealer actually ordered another skid plate that had the same hardware....i will be drilling today!
Please let us know how it goes.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:10 PM

Finished in an hour...

Once i realized i had the correct hardware, i did the job in about an hour.

Here's how:
1) remove the 2 screws on the bottome of the black bumper shroud
2) slide in the black backer bracket that comes with the skid plate. This may seem difficult at first but all you need to do is as follows:
Lay down under the car, facing the rear of the vehicle.
Rotate the bracket so you are inserting it on the drivers side and slowly rotate it counter clockwise towards the passenger side. So you are inserting the end on the passenger side into the drivers side then rotating it around to the correct side - i hope this makes sense!
3) if you have a hitch, you need to notch out appx a 3/4" x 3/4" square, centered, at the bottom center of the black shroud (just over the hitch). This will allow the "tab" on the skid plate to allow for proper alignment. You can cut this with a pair of wire cutters, razor, or even scissor. And yes - the cut will be covered by the skid plate later.
4) IMPORTANT - put some masking tape or something on the bumper, the skid plate scratches it very easily!
5) Place the skid plate on the bumper, make sure the top edge is appx 3/4" from the bottom of the square knockout on the bumper, you will see how it contours w/ the bumper. Mark w/ sharpee & drill.
6) if you have big hands you will need some kids to help you but getting the screws on is very doable.

Hope this helps!

Aceman
Old 08-20-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
thanks, I'm planning on doing the skid plate install on mine too and your comments will help. I trust myself more than the dealership. They can't even get the front license plate bracket on straight. Stuff like that drives me nuts.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 GL320 BTC; 07 BMW 335i

Here's how:
2) slide in the black backer bracket that comes with the skid plate. This may seem difficult at first but all you need to do is as follows:
Rotate the bracket so you are inserting it on the drivers side and slowly rotate it counter clockwise towards the passenger side. So you are inserting the end on the passenger side into the drivers side then rotating it around to the correct side - i hope this makes sense!
3) if you have a hitch, you need to notch out appx a 3/4" x 3/4" square, centered, at the bottom center of the black shroud (just over the hitch). This will allow the "tab" on the skid plate to allow for proper alignment. You can cut this with a pair of wire cutters, razor, or even scissor. And yes - the cut will be covered by the skid plate later.
4) IMPORTANT - put some masking tape or something on the bumper, the skid plate scratches it very easily!
5) Place the skid plate on the bumper, make sure the top edge is appx 3/4" from the bottom of the square knockout on the bumper, you will see how it contours w/ the bumper. Mark w/ sharpee & drill.
6) if you have big hands you will need some kids to help you but getting the screws on is very doable.

Hope this helps!

Aceman
Thanks Aceman! I will let you know once I get mine installed.
Now I need find the DIY guide for the front...
Old 08-26-2009, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 CL500,& '18 GLS63. Gone: '83 500SEC,'99 500SL,'07GL450

Here's how:

Hope this helps!

Aceman
Thanks, Aceman for the rear skid plate installation guidelines. I just finished installing the rear plate on my '07 GL450.
Re: the 3/4"x3/4" cutout. I made a cut that was 3/4" wide by 1/8" deep. This way the tab held the plate in place somewhat which can help the installer locate/drill holes, and tighten the nuts and bolts. Note: My GL450 doesn't have a trailer hitch.

Last edited by reddog; 08-26-2009 at 05:54 PM.