GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

SmartKey starter with Drone mobile

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
acura rl
SmartKey starter with Drone mobile

I am going to take delivery of my GL 350 on friday. I live in North Dakota, where 20 above in march is considerd a good day. I am looking forward to installing SmartKey Starter with Drone mobile. Any one has any experience with these.
My delaer quoted the following price
Compustar #MOS164CKG $1335
Drone module $ 475
KeyLess Go module $ 100
Total $1910
Thanks.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:05 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Congrats on the new ride! You will love it - I grew up in GF and live in the twin cities...I haven't had any starting issues yet - but make sure to let it warm up before driving. There have been links to aftermarket products on this forum...just can't remember the name of the product. Someone is bound to post though...great group here! $1900 seems high... Good Luck!

added:
Here is the link that's been offered on the site by the owner of the company: http://www.smartkeystarter.com/

Last edited by BJ021; 03-07-2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: adding web link
Old 03-08-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
You might want to try living with it before you shell out that sort of money. I'm in Calgary, and with the block heater I have had no problems down past -40 in the Rockies. Further, it starts to make heat about a block from starting driving from cold, but the interior temperature does not seem to rise that much quicker with even five or ten minutes of idling. There was some suspicion on this board that the diesel GL might have electric heating elements in the HVAC system because of how quickly it makes heat when driving. I'm not sure about that, but it sure makes lots of quick heat for a diesel.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Brock, didn't I see somewhere else here that there is a supplemental heater for the dark-fuel vehicles that makes up for the slow warm-up on a non-petrol engine? Or have the last few brain cells leaked out?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Brock, didn't I see somewhere else here that there is a supplemental heater for the dark-fuel vehicles that makes up for the slow warm-up on a non-petrol engine? Or have the last few brain cells leaked out?
Not confirmed, as far as I remember, but I would say the chances are pretty high, since I'm only showing 40 Celsius as water temperature, an the cabin vents are blowing like hair driers...
Old 03-08-2011, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Not confirmed, as far as I remember, but I would say the chances are pretty high, since I'm only showing 40 Celsius as water temperature, an the cabin vents are blowing like hair driers...
I wouldn't be surprised if the heat exchanger for the cabin heater is right after the turbo cooling jacket. Turbos heat up really fast.

- Mark
Old 03-08-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mdadgar
I wouldn't be surprised if the heat exchanger for the cabin heater is right after the turbo cooling jacket. Turbos heat up really fast.

- Mark
That could be why it only makes heat when driving, not idling.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:48 PM

acura rl
Thanks a lot for the input. I knew I could count on you guys. I think I will take Brocktoon's advice and sit on it for now. It's March, and its going to be in 30's next week. Heated seats should help for few weeks.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:51 PM

acura rl
I got my GL today. I live in ND, we are having a blizzard now. I thought who am I kidding. So I went ahead and got the SmartKey starter and the Drone Mobile module installed. Really like the notion of not carrying an extra remote. Panic button works great to start the car. Have to test the range at my work on Monday. Drone did not work, says poor cell coverage. I doubt that as my wife's Viper SmartStart worked on both ATT and Verizon at the same time. Guy who installed it was not there, will take it back on Monday and update.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by hman
I got my GL today. I live in ND, we are having a blizzard now. I thought who am I kidding. So I went ahead and got the SmartKey starter and the Drone Mobile module installed. Really like the notion of not carrying an extra remote. Panic button works great to start the car. Have to test the range at my work on Monday. Drone did not work, says poor cell coverage. I doubt that as my wife's Viper SmartStart worked on both ATT and Verizon at the same time. Guy who installed it was not there, will take it back on Monday and update.
Does it really make any heat while it is idling from cold? My experience is that it does not. Heat only really starts to be developed with driving for me, but the bluetecs might make more engine heat at idle to help light off the catalysts. Let us know.