GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Check oil level light popping on after a oil change,Normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450
Check oil level light popping on after a oil change,Normal?

Appreciate any input.
Went to Mobile 1 brought my own oil filter had them drain/fill.

I watched them
drain-replace filter,orings-Fill
I told them add 8.5 quarts they said laptop says 9 I said fine.So for sure 9 quarts went in as I left with 1 quart out of 2 gal. Level is at max.

Check oil light pops on soon as you drive few blocks. Not immediately. Won’t go away until car shut off then comes back. Is this normal and will go away after few days?They said it’s because they need to reset the service but I know 100% this isnt the issue has nothing to do with oil level. These old x164 aint that high tec,or can the level sensor actually read overfill and 9 was too much?
No way,I think it only senses low levels.

What could they have done wrong?Drained from plug no wires touched. Filter was popped in dry. That’s it.

Wherever you look on mbworld and online it’s either 8.5 9 or 9.5 quarts. To add to the confusion MB says oil level MUST be in between min and max not at max line even though this level can be achieved with much less then 9qt.

Can I add 1/2 quart with no long term damage to see if that solves it then it will 100% have 9.5. But I’ve been short 1 quart before with no warnings. If 10qt will take the warning away can I safely do that?

Could low oil pressure trigger this light? That’s the ONLY part that scares me as these don’t have oil pressure gauge so why would it even have a pressure sensor let alone tied into level sensor.

Thanks guys
5w40 euro now
for summer I used 5w50 mobile. All approved oils.
07 Gl 450 120k

Last edited by USNAVY; Today at 04:21 AM.
Old Today, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 246 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by USNAVY
Appreciate any input.
Went to Mobile 1 brought my own oil filter had them drain/fill.

I watched them
drain-replace filter,orings-Fill
I told them add 8.5 quarts they said laptop says 9 I said fine.So for sure 9 quarts went in as I left with 1 quart out of 2 gal. Level is at max.

Check oil light pops on soon as you drive few blocks. Not immediately. Won’t go away until car shut off then comes back. Is this normal and will go away after few days?They said it’s because they need to reset the service but I know 100% this isnt the issue has nothing to do with oil level. These old x164 aint that high tec,or can the level sensor actually read overfill and 9 was too much?
No way,I think it only senses low levels.

What could they have done wrong?Drained from plug no wires touched. Filter was popped in dry. That’s it.

Wherever you look on mbworld and online it’s either 8.5 9 or 9.5 quarts. To add to the confusion MB says oil level MUST be in between min and max not at max line even though this level can be achieved with much less then 9qt.

Can I add 1/2 quart with no long term damage to see if that solves it then it will 100% have 9.5. But I’ve been short 1 quart before with no warnings. If 10qt will take the warning away can I safely do that?

Could low oil pressure trigger this light? That’s the ONLY part that scares me as these don’t have oil pressure gauge so why would it even have a pressure sensor let alone tied into level sensor.

Thanks guys
5w40 euro now
for summer I used 5w50 mobile. All approved oils.
07 Gl 450 120k
You said "I left with 1 quart out of 2 gal". A gallon is 4 quarts. Unless your math is different than mine, that means you put in 7 quarts

Are you sure about the oil level on the stick? If the oil level is correct, I wouldn't add more - no reason to.

Is there oil in the filter housing?

What exactly does the warning look like or say?

I would want to check the oil pressure.
Old Today, 09:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,795 Likes on 2,377 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by DennisG01
You said "I left with 1 quart out of 2 gal". A gallon is 4 quarts. Unless your math is different than mine, that means you put in 7 quarts

Are you sure about the oil level on the stick? If the oil level is correct, I wouldn't add more - no reason to.

If I remembered correctly, there is a specific requirement for certain vehicles, the specific additional requirement is noted on the datacard of the vehicle.

I can't remember what the code is or the term they used.
Old Today, 09:43 AM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450, 2006 S500, 2003 ML350, 1996 C280 (Prev 1995 C220, 2002 CLK320, 1980 300SD Turbo)
You should measure the oil capacity at operating temperature. I had a very similar experience (see the thread I just posted in the X166 forum) - you'll get different readings at different temperatures and at least on my M278 I was told a lot of oil stays in the valve area.
Old Today, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 618 Likes on 525 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
If you have 9 liters of oil in there the stick should be full and you are ok.

if you have 7 the check oil warning will come up every time until the sensor detects above 8.

there is a level sensor which could also be malfunctioning.
The following users liked this post:
RollTideW163 (Today)
Old Today, 07:02 PM

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by DennisG01

Thanks,Yes correct, I brought 2 jugs with 5 quarts in each.The Big walmart Bottle.

I have not opened the filter housing after the change. He did not put oil in there just popped the filter in.

I made them check the level and I checked it many times. It’s at the max level. This was done when engine was hot.

The light is the MB ‘Check oil level at next fill up’

As you said the oil pressure is the only reason I came in here for help I am worried maybe the filter is somehow blocking flow or maybe it takes time to get flowing better idk 🤷🏻 I assumed that some oil was supposed to be poured in there I thought I read that someWhere on here I might be wrong.
Old Today, 07:06 PM

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
If you have 9 liters of oil in there the stick should be full and you are ok.

if you have 7 the check oil warning will come up every time until the sensor detects above 8.

there is a level sensor which could also be malfunctioning.
I brought 2 Walmart jugs I left with 1 quart leftover in 1 bottle.The Wally jugs say 5 quarts or am I wrong?My thinking is adding half a quart doesn’t make sense as the sensor will not come on for a half quart low as you mentioned it takes prob 2 quarts for it to trigger light. Im starting to wonder if the Mann filter off Amazon is the culprit but it was purchased direct from Mann. My worry is oil pressure and there’s no way I can check that myself.