GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

The Baby has new Snow Shoes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
The Baby has new Snow Shoes

So, after my dumb idea of trying 18" wheels for snows and realizing they won't fit over the front calipers on a 2013 GL450, I ordered and received 19" wheels fitted with snow tires. PICs or the new black wheels are included though I have not shined anything up as I just put them on the GL450 a few minutes ago. I also put a pic of how it looked with the OEM wheels just for quick comparisons.

These are Mandrus Rotec with Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow. DiscountTire Direct did a fine job of putting these together late in the season for me. I have made sure the winter look is the opposite of the summer look as the seasons are quite different!

Anyway, I am glad to finally get these on the vehicle as you cannot know the difference between the performance of snow tires against all-season until you experience it. I have used snow tires Dec through Mar on all of my AWD vehicles since I can remember as braking and cornering is greatly improved. The difference is blatantly obvious. Especially the ability to stop when temps get below freezing. From my perspective, if snow tires save me from just one mishap they are well worth the expense. I know others may feel differently, but I do whatever I can to maximize safety.

I bought this car in December and because it took me a while to find the proper wheels and tires, I drove the vehicle in substantial snow two weeks ago using the OEM all-seasons. I was not happy with the braking or cornering. It was acceptable, but the margin for error was greatly reduced. I expect these new wheels and tires will improve my confidence and keep me out of trouble. Yes, maybe I could go really, really slow, but that is not going to happen.

I am heading up to Northern NH next week for some Nordic Skiing. Maybe I will be able to put these through some real life tests.
Attached Thumbnails The Baby has new Snow Shoes-ski-004-1-.jpg   The Baby has new Snow Shoes-ski-005-1-.jpg   The Baby has new Snow Shoes-mbc-005.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Maislin; 01-18-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Adding photo with Original wheels.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
That's an interesting idea to have a different summer/winter look. I haven't bought winter tires/wheels yet, but that might be a factor to think about. Do the blackout in winter and the 21" factory wheels the remainder of the year.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
looks awesome..
Old 01-18-2013, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Steve Maislin
So, after my dumb idea of trying 18" wheels for snows and realizing they won't fit over the front calipers on a 2013 GL450, I ordered and received 19" wheels fitted with snow tires. PICs are included though I have not shined anything up as I just put them on the GL450 a few minutes ago. These are Mandrus Rotec with Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow. DiscountTire Direct did a fine job of putting these together late in the season for me. I have made sure the winter look is the opposite of the summer look as the seasons are quite different!

Anyway, I am glad to finally get these on the vehicle as you cannot know the difference between the performance of snow tires against all-season until you experience it. I have used snow tires Dec through Mar on all of my AWD vehicles since I can remember as braking and cornering is greatly improved. The difference is blatantly obvious. Especially the ability to stop when temps get below freezing. From my perspective, if snow tires save me from just one mishap they are well worth the expense. I know others may feel differently, but I do whatever I can to maximize safety.

I bought this car in December and because it took me a while to find the proper wheels and tires, I drove the vehicle in substantial snow two weeks ago using the OEM all-seasons. I was not happy with the braking or cornering. It was acceptable, but the margin for error was greatly reduced. I expect these new wheels and tires will improve my confidence and keep me out of trouble. Yes, maybe I could go really, really slow, but that is not going to happen.

I am heading up to Northern NH next week for some Nordic Skiing. Maybe I will be able to put these through some real life tests.

Looks great!!! So.....they did the whole package.....tires, wheels? How about the TPMS sensors? No doubt about it the stock tires ( if they are the Continentals ) are next to useless in the snow....... I might think about it for next winter. Only issue for me is storage and installation.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:32 PM

2013 GL450
Yes, it looks like I am a bad dude with that dark look.

Regardless of what you use in the rest of year (21 or 20), going to 19" is the right thing to do for snow tires, a taller tire. Much less chance for rim damage as well.

I have all of the right power equipment (impact wrench, compressor, hydraulic lift, etc.) to do the tire changeover as well as storage, so that is not a big problem for me.

The package included everything, they even scanned the sensors so they worked upon installation. The wheels arrived balanced and ready to go including proper lug bolts that stick out about 25mm from the inside of the wheel. You need to be sure that you have the right lug bolts for the wheels as they are almost always different. Too long can do serious damage and too short, well you can imagine what that might do. They also provided the lug bolts that use the Gorilla adapter that makes them more theft proof.

One thing that I know many others do is to use local installers. These places can ship to the installers as well instead of shipping to your house.

I am very happy to have those Continentals sitting in the garage until April.

Total package was about $2500. A bargain when considering the $3300 offer that I got from the dealership. And, I got the wheels that I really wanted, ones that will get noticed.

By they way, these Mandrus wheels are not only excellent quality, but they fit without any sort of adapter and you can use the Mercedes center caps if you want. I chose to not use the OEM center caps as winter tends to destroy them.

Last edited by Steve Maislin; 01-18-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
my MB dealer quoted me something like $7500 for winter tires (Scorpian) and OEM 19 inch rims...... and over 14 grand for 21 inch OEM amg rims and tires.....
Old 01-18-2013, 04:14 PM

2013 GL450
Those must be the special version of the tires...

Originally Posted by cookstar
my MB dealer quoted me something like $7500 for winter tires (Scorpian) and OEM 19 inch rims...... and over 14 grand for 21 inch OEM amg rims and tires.....

Well, those must be the ones where the tires last for the life of the vehicle and the wheels don't get damaged when you hit a curb, really hard. ;-)

Honestly, at that price they are basically saying we are not in the tire business and want to make sure you know it. As far as I am concerned, I bought 19" wheels that are made using an advanced rotary forging process that are light and as good as the OEM wheel. After all, even in winter, you cannot put cheap wheels on a fine vehicle. That's a crime! And, the tires are the same ones you were offered (265/55 R19). This is benefit of shopping online. It's not for everyone, but it works exceptionally well. I have been buying my tires and wheels this way for about 15 years.

I placed the order on Tuesday and they arrived on Thursday. Delivered right to my front door. That price I paid ($2500) was inclusive of everything: mounted and balanced tires on fine wheels with TPMS, delivered to my door. EAASSSY!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011

Well, those must be the ones where the tires last for the life of the vehicle and the wheels don't get damaged when you hit a curb, really hard. ;-)

Honestly, at that price they are basically saying we are not in the tire business and want to make sure you know it. As far as I am concerned, I bought 19" wheels that are made using an advanced rotary forging process that are light and as good as the OEM wheel. After all, even in winter, you cannot put cheap wheels on a fine vehicle. That's a crime! And, the tires are the same ones you were offered (265/55 R19). This is benefit of shopping online. It's not for everyone, but it works exceptionally well. I have been buying my tires and wheels this way for about 15 years.

I placed the order on Tuesday and they arrived on Thursday. Delivered right to my front door. That price I paid ($2500) was inclusive of everything: mounted and balanced tires on fine wheels with TPMS, delivered to my door. EAASSSY!
Really does sound like they did a great job in providing what you want and need! I'll certainly give it a look before next winter....... give us an update after the run to NH! I'm heading to Vermont next week in my current 2011 GL....... final 3 miles is single lane dirt/snow/ice road through the hills! .....I love the off-road package stuff!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cookstar
That's nuts!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Steve.....

I just was on Discount's web site..... could not find that tire! Searched for winter tires in that size and came up with zero..... how'd you do it? 265/55R 19 right?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 PM

2013 GL450
You have to call them... (800 number is on web site)

Originally Posted by blittle
Hey Steve.....

I just was on Discount's web site..... could not find that tire! Searched for winter tires in that size and came up with zero..... how'd you do it? 265/55R 19 right?
My order number was 4128291. Feel free to refer to it. Tell them the longer lug bolts were the right ones that provided about 25mm of thread. They ordered the wheels from TSW and put it all together in Ohio. Getting the tires was quite a trick as well as supplies are very short.

Hopefully, this is not the only tires left for the year. But, that might be the case.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350

I know... its insane, whats more insane is that people actually pay those prices, I had to actually ask twice to make sure I was hearing correctly, than I called in after my visit to the dealer and another person confirmed the price with 14K you could buy a used B-class lmao or a new domestic 4 banger