GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Is this GL450 a good buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Is this GL450 a good buy?

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I first want to thank everyone for their contributions to the forum. After spending the past month or so researching the Mercedes-Benz brand, much of it on these forums, I feel much more informed and confident as a potential buyer.

To cut to the chase, I’m looking to purchase a 2015 GL450 and came across this particular CPO vehicle that checks all my boxes in terms of price, mileage, options, etc.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo/i...DF6EE7FA542332

The salesman wouldn’t pass along the VMI, but said he has no problem showing me if I come in. The issue is that I’m five hours away, so I would like to make it a one-trip event to inspect and hopefully purchase/take delivery of the vehicle. So any comfort I can get before making the trip out there would be great.

He read the VMI over the phone and nothing stood out as a red flag per se. I confirmed no brake/rotor/shock/strut/airmatic work has been done. But the one thing he wasn’t sure about the specifics of, and neither am I, is an entry on the VMI of “Sublet Repairs.”

Here are my questions:
  • Is there any way to find out what these sublet repairs were?
  • If not, should I be concerned about this entry on the VMI? (i.e., would you consider this a dealbreaker?)
  • After looking at the vehicle, the CarFax, and the MSRP Listing packages/Options that I linked below, does anyone see any red flags?
  • Bottom line: is this a good deal?
The one thing that keeps coming to me is- why has this vehicle been on the market since 3/2/18, has had five price drops since then (from $45,832 originally to $42,978 as of today), yet still hasn’t sold?

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and if anyone has any input/advice, please let me know!

Thanks,

Ryan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CarFax.pdf (340.9 KB, 99 views)
Old 05-03-2018, 02:22 PM

2014 gl550
you can compare prices on carGurus for similarly packaged car with similar mileage. you'd have better idea whether the price is good/fair/bad.
you also have to know that sales tax and other fees will be applied. my gut feeling is that price is still negotiable and potentially be lowered.
i tend to have better trust on cpo models. does it have extended warranty? depending on that, my comfort level would change.
also, if you plan to have your small kids or small person in the back seats, make sure to have read the potential issues with auto entry option (if this car has that..).
there are multiple threads about that on this forum.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:14 PM

GL450
Thanks. This particular vehicle is still within the 4yr/50k miles factory warranty, and once that lapses, the one year CPO warranty with unlimited miles kicks in. I can pay for/extend the CPO warranty for two additional years/unlimited miles beyond that, so until the end of 2021 in this case, which I would likely do (or just sock the money away into a stock fund for use if issues arise).

Though I don’t consider this vehicle to be “highly optioned,” the price seems low for this particular vehicle considering the options it does have and the original MSRP. I will use third row daily, as I will have an 8 yr old, a 2 yr old, a 1 year old and a newborn riding in rear seats. This vehicle does not have power easy entry, although I am open to it due to the “fixes” that can be employed. However, I’m fine without it. I’m the one who will be manually moving the second row to access the third, and although convenient, I look at the power easy entry as just another option that if it breaks, is expensive to fix.

Last edited by Byrne1; 05-03-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
For comparison purposes......I traded my 2015 GL350 on 2/28/18 @ BMW of Macon, GA. Bought a new X5 35d. I negotiated $41k trade value which was inflated by about $3k per KBB value. The dealer sold the GL for $43,500 about 2 weeks later after reducing the price from $46,500. It was not CPO'd nor did the dealer have to put any $$ in the car. Tires had 6/32 tread remaining. Mileage was 58k. Bottom line is that he made $2,500 on the GL. My GL was highly optioned with original MSRP of $84,300.
Looking at the Carfax on 7/13/17 it lists a repair to upholstery. Dealers most often sublet this type of repair. I'd guess thats what it is.
My personal opinion is that if you offered $39k you might make a deal. Yours is a gasser vs my diesel. You do have three important options in Lighting, Appearance and Lane Change Assist.
And if you do buy the GL I'd recommend that you call Jeff Jackson @ Talfel Motors in Louisville. He often offers the best (by far) price on the ELW.

Best of luck.

Last edited by anothercar; 05-03-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:44 PM

GL450
Thanks anothercar. That is very helpful info that I’ll certainly consider if I begin negotiating on the vehicle. And good point on the sublet repairs possibly being the entry for the upholstery repair. The salesman did mention the upholstery repair separate from our conversation covering the VMI but neither of us put two and two together. I’ll verify the dates on the VMI and CarFax match up or are close to confirm.

Also, I have been speaking with Jeff Jackson, not on this particular vehicle, but on another one I was considering. It sold, however. I will definitely reach out to him on extending CPO or adding ELW once I make a purchase though.

Thanks again for your insight, and enjoy the X5. That’s what I was leaning toward until I compared the third row vs GL.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Byrne1

Thanks again for your insight, and enjoy the X5. That’s what I was leaning toward until I compared the third row vs GL.
Yup, the X5 3rd row is not much good for anyone except smaller kids. The GL 3rd row is good for 2 adults on a short trip.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:49 PM

GL450
So I offered $39k and salesman came back and said,

”We always price our vehicle to be in the lowest 5%, ranked by value, mileage, options and price within a 150 mile radius. Our search engine shows that at $42,978.00 we are well below the average price a 2015 MB Certified GL450 (see attached market report). I would be willing to go to my pre owned manager to see if I could get some price concession, but it wouldn't be more than $500.00. Let me know if this would work for you and I will talk to him. Also, MB financial is offering 2 years of complimentary prepaid maintenance this month on 2015 Certified GL's.”

Not thrilled about the $500 concession offer. But I am wondering, at 36k miles, what is the 2 years of prepaid maintenance worth?

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2018, 05:19 PM

So I offered $39k and salesman came back and said,

”We always price our vehicle to be in the lowest 5%, ranked by value, mileage, options and price within a 150 mile radius. Our search engine shows that at $42,978.00 we are well below the average price a 2015 MB Certified GL450 (see attached market report). I would be willing to go to my pre owned manager to see if I could get some price concession, but it wouldn't be more than $500.00. Let me know if this would work for you and I will talk to him. Also, MB financial is offering 2 years of complimentary prepaid maintenance this month on 2015 Certified GL's.”

Not thrilled about the $500 concession offer. But I am wondering, at 36k miles, what is the 2 years of prepaid maintenance worth?

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!
My take is that if it’s a car you want then the deal is acceptable especially with CPO and 2 years maintenance which is worth at least $1k. Go for it and best of luck.

KBB range in your zip code = $46,984 ($896/month)*Fair Purchase Price (CPO)$44,856 - $49,111

Last edited by anothercar; 05-06-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:28 PM

GL450
Thanks again for your help here. Unfortunately, someone came in and put a bid in and the vehicle sold. Lesson learned- once you identify the right vehicle, move quick!
Old 05-17-2018, 04:57 PM

Thanks again for your help here. Unfortunately, someone came in and put a bid in and the vehicle sold. Lesson learned- once you identify the right vehicle, move quick!
Bummer! Bad news is you didn’t score this one. Good news is that another one will present itself and hopefully you now have some clarity as to price, warranty, etc.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:16 PM

GL450
So anothercar, after much back and forth with various dealers on a few GLs, and getting a little impatient with the process (I’d been looking hard for about three months ), I decided to overnight test drive a 2015 X5 with third row to see if it would fit my needs. The X5 had been my first choice originally, but I made the assumption that the third row was too small for my needs based on my online research, without actually seeing it in person.

After overnight test driving, I realized that while the third row is certainly small, it would in fact meet my needs (infrequent use for very small kids and only on short trips). Needless to say I was ecstatic.

Ended up finding one in pretty short order with the options I wanted and then some at a good price. Dark Graphite Metallic exterior, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Steering, Lighting Package, HUD, and B&O sound system. Ordered from the west coast so may take a while to get here- but super excited to drive it once it arrives!

I’m assuming you’re on one/some of the BMW boards? Which ones do you recommend?

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2018, 12:38 PM

So anothercar, after much back and forth with various dealers on a few GLs, and getting a little impatient with the process (I’d been looking hard for about three months ), I decided to overnight test drive a 2015 X5 with third row to see if it would fit my needs. The X5 had been my first choice originally, but I made the assumption that the third row was too small for my needs based on my online research, without actually seeing it in person.

After overnight test driving, I realized that while the third row is certainly small, it would in fact meet my needs (infrequent use for very small kids and only on short trips). Needless to say I was ecstatic.

Ended up finding one in pretty short order with the options I wanted and then some at a good price. Dark Graphite Metallic exterior, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Steering, Lighting Package, HUD, and B&O sound system. Ordered from the west coast so may take a while to get here- but super excited to drive it once it arrives!

I’m assuming you’re on one/some of the BMW boards? Which ones do you recommend?

Thanks!
Congrats. You’ll love the X5. This is my 2nd one as I had a 2011 50i. I do miss the luxury and size of the GL esp the massaging seats. But the X5 is a great sports car like SUV.
As for BMW forums Bimmerfest.com is the best. My handle there is Lennysx5. Lots of useful info sharing there. Now get over there and post some pictures in the F15 forum.

Last edited by anothercar; 05-28-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:37 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
GLE350d, Porsche TE
3rd row on the X5 also gives you air suspension in the rear, more comfortable ride as they ride pretty hard without it.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:54 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by anothercar

Congrats. You’ll love the X5. This is my 2nd one as I had a 2011 50i. I do miss the luxury and size of the GL esp the massaging seats. But the X5 is a great sports car like SUV.
As for BMW forums Bimmerfest.com is the best. My handle there is Lennysx5. Lots of useful info sharing there. Now get over there and post some pictures in the F15 forum.
Thanks anothercar, I will be sure to check out that site and get some pics up once my X5 is delivered. Thanks again for all your input here and I’ll see you on the “other side!”
Old 05-29-2018, 10:00 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by nookie
3rd row on the X5 also gives you air suspension in the rear, more comfortable ride as they ride pretty hard without it.
Didn’t realize that but good to know. The only X5 I’ve driven extensively had the third row and I loved how it rode. I’m hoping that with the Dynamic Handling Package, I will be even more impressed. DHP is just icing on the cake really. Super excited!
Old 06-05-2018, 09:21 AM

Also recommend bimmerpost.com It's very robust!
Old 06-09-2018, 01:21 PM

GL450
Also recommend bimmerpost.com It's very robust!
Thanks anothercar, will check that one out too!
Old 06-09-2018, 05:43 PM

Thanks anothercar, will check that one out too!
you get the new ride yet?
Old 06-09-2018, 06:15 PM

GL450

you get the new ride yet?
Not yet- and the anticipation is killing me! ETA of delivery is next Saturday so I’m hoping that doesn’t change for some reason. Will definitely get some pics up on the other forums once it comes in.

How are you liking yours so far?
Old 06-11-2018, 01:58 PM

Not yet- and the anticipation is killing me! ETA of delivery is next Saturday so I’m hoping that doesn’t change for some reason. Will definitely get some pics up on the other forums once it comes in.

How are you liking yours so far?
Love it's performance and economy. Recent 785 mile trip @ 80 mph yielded almost 32 mpg. Had EGR and EGR cooler issues @ 5k miles. Just had a TPMS malfunction @ 9k miles. All covered under warranty and a bit aggravating but I really like the X5.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:11 PM

GL450
Love it's performance and economy. Recent 785 mile trip @ 80 mph yielded almost 32 mpg. Had EGR and EGR cooler issues @ 5k miles. Just had a TPMS malfunction @ 9k miles. All covered under warranty and a bit aggravating but I really like the X5.
Well hopefully it’s smooth sailing for you here on out. And you gotta love looking at the mpg monitor and seeing numbers like that- awesome!