GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Main Screen Retrofit to 9" with CarPlay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450
I just pulled the trigger and ordered the snapdragon unit, known as 600 model from ebay.
I learned a lot from this thread; running the AUX cable to AMI, problems with bluetooth, Fakra Y connector, etc..

I have two questions, I hope someone can help me out.
1. I ordered this Fakra Y connctor from Ebay, someone shared the link here. Did I order a right one?

2. I'm planning to use the factory GPS antenna because some folks here said it works much better. But, I don't know how to locate the factory GPS antenna.. no one talked about it. I guess I need to pull the cable out from the head unit or comand. Does anyone know what color the plug is or does anyone have a diagram?

My truck is 2015 GL450, I believe it's NTG4.5

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-17-2020, 06:49 PM

GL450
Really hope that someone here can help as I'm at my wits end with this thing.

I'm in the middle of installing an Android 10 unit on my x166 and running into issues with the selector knob wheel thingie.

The instructions I have are a bit odd as there's a ground wire I need to attach to the radio chassis, which no one had mentioned previously in this thread. Regardless, that was perhaps the easiest part of the install.

I believe my issue is with a loose connection in the harness somewhere or a mismatch with the jumpers. My NTG type shifts from KF (which is what I need) to K9 when I connect the side plug (hazard / seat heaters / etc).Before I start playing with the jumper settings, I'd like to know what state the car needs to be in before doing so. My instructions are in chinglish and it's not clear if I need to disconnect my battery before doing so. Here's what the instructions state to do word for word:

"If you exchange AB plug connection, had to hard restart the stereo in order to trigger it as KF. It means totally power off your car, remove car keys, then remove both end of our power cable (include male end and female end) then remove car original cd player power cable. After done all, exchange AB connection, then connect all cable one more time, then totally power on your car to activate the new connection method.) If above two connections also can't show "KF" Then try bellow more 4 connection methods bellow:
AB-A B-A
AB-A B don't connect
AB-B A-B
AB-B A don't connect
Totally these six connection methods, one by one until your car can get "KF". "

When changing jumpers, what did you guys do to do this? Unplug the harness or unplug your battery? Wtf is a CD Player power cable??

thanks in advance!
Old 10-18-2020, 09:11 AM

GL450
Originally Posted by bkwbkw
Really hope that someone here can help as I'm at my wits end with this thing.

I'm in the middle of installing an Android 10 unit on my x166 and running into issues with the selector knob wheel thingie.

The instructions I have are a bit odd as there's a ground wire I need to attach to the radio chassis, which no one had mentioned previously in this thread. Regardless, that was perhaps the easiest part of the install.

I believe my issue is with a loose connection in the harness somewhere or a mismatch with the jumpers. My NTG type shifts from KF (which is what I need) to K9 when I connect the side plug (hazard / seat heaters / etc).Before I start playing with the jumper settings, I'd like to know what state the car needs to be in before doing so. My instructions are in chinglish and it's not clear if I need to disconnect my battery before doing so. Here's what the instructions state to do word for word:

"If you exchange AB plug connection, had to hard restart the stereo in order to trigger it as KF. It means totally power off your car, remove car keys, then remove both end of our power cable (include male end and female end) then remove car original cd player power cable. After done all, exchange AB connection, then connect all cable one more time, then totally power on your car to activate the new connection method.) If above two connections also can't show "KF" Then try bellow more 4 connection methods bellow:
AB-A B-A
AB-A B don't connect
AB-B A-B
AB-B A don't connect
Totally these six connection methods, one by one until your car can get "KF". "

When changing jumpers, what did you guys do to do this? Unplug the harness or unplug your battery? Wtf is a CD Player power cable??

thanks in advance!
I guess you can ignore the instruction.
someome shared a link in this thread which has very detailed information.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000919069549.html
You can find AB-A... connection thingy here for your NTG version.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:06 PM

GL450
Ok, got the dial working but now something very strange is happening.

Every time I use my turn signal, it pops back into NTG mode!

is there a setting or something I have enabled that’s triggering this?
Old 10-18-2020, 02:18 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by bkwbkw
Ok, got the dial working but now something very strange is happening.

Every time I use my turn signal, it pops back into NTG mode!

is there a setting or something I have enabled that’s triggering this?
Watch this video, hopefully you can find your answer
The following users liked this post:
htce38 (10-18-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 03:02 PM

GL450
Figured out the issue. I had 360 option switched on which is different than the 360 stock option.

So my Android 10 works great!
Old 10-23-2020, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS550 Edition 1
Been looking at this forum for a long time and finally purchased a 2015 GL 550. One of the options I wanted to get was an android stereo. Following this thread I was able to make it all work out. With some YouTube videos and the Alibaba link, setup was good. It took a lot longer than I anticipated to install this stereo.

Helpful to me was to be able to trim some of the plastic under the stereo/above the climate controls( if I would have decided to do this earlier would have saved me atleast 30-45minutes of trying to put it all back together. This afforded the room to move the big plugs into this area and easily push the stereo back into it's place. There is a little noise when the volume is turned up and I have ordered a ground loop isolator to plug between the screen and aux media cable.

Note: I had to go to the factory setting and choose the correct NT4.5 full screen resolution. My screen came with the wrong setting and it did not work at first. But after that was figured out everything worked like a charm.

Only complaint I have would be the backup camera. When I put the vehicle into reverse it goes to the Mercedes factory screen backup camera, which is fine but then when i take it out of reverse it was go to the defaults Mercedes screen until I touch the screen again, It's a bit annoying.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:45 AM

GL450
Does anyone know how to get some of the other monitoring functions to display on the screen? TPMS, trip computer, etc? Would also love to change the clock on the "screen off" mode too.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:20 AM

GL X166
Has anyone experienced an issue where the screen won’t power on occasionally? I’ve had this maybe 3 times in total since install, usually coinciding with a situation where the screen does not turn off when ignition is turned off.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 CL & S600 designo Espresso's
I was all set to pull the trigger on this 12", but then I noticed that it didn't have the buttons for seat ventilation. I inquired, and the seller on eBay said that the ventilated seats are operated via the touch screen. I haven't seen any pictures that confirm this. I would think that if the ventilated seat operation was via touch screen, so would the seat heater operation! Has anyone actually purchased this to confirm?

Last edited by 300SDLguy; 11-19-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,073 Likes on 860 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Noticed that too. They would have to prove to me. No way I would buy as is.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:01 PM

2017 GLS
Hi everyone.

This is my first post, and I know that I am in the wrong category. However, I'm considering updating the screen in my 2016 GLS X166. Does anyone know if the MEKEDE screens will fit/work?

On their store-site, they show compatibility with X166 2012-2015 on all of their screen. They don't seem to have any screens with compatibility for X166 2016-2019.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Niels

Old 01-05-2021, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 GLE 63 S AMG
I would not buy it if the site says it will not fit
Old 01-21-2021, 10:22 AM

GLE350
Just installed the n600. Looks great. I had a couple things I was wondering someone could help me out with:

1) the control knob does not respond when you start the car, I have to go into the original mercedes screen, scroll with the knob, then go back to this unit and then the unit responds to the knob. really annoying. Anyway to fix this?

2) Alot of static radio noise. I have it hooked up thru aux in my center console. Does the noise isolator thing help?

3) Is there a way to control the radio from the new interface, or do i have to go back to the mercedes interface everytime for radio?
Old 03-07-2021, 10:15 AM

W221
Blue bar removel

Originally Posted by Sierra117
Im setup as AUX. It takes 10 seconds for the car to recognize the head unit is playing something and transition from NTG radio to whats playing on the head unit. After that its smooth sailing.

Note that I bought my unit last year, I don't know if there are any new updates if you buy today.

Old 03-16-2021, 05:13 PM

GL X166
Originally Posted by rllmuk
Has anyone experienced an issue where the screen won’t power on occasionally? I’ve had this maybe 3 times in total since install, usually coinciding with a situation where the screen does not turn off when ignition is turned off.
To answer my own question, in case anyone else runs in to this, is that I had to set the aux position in the system settings on the Android screen to match my car setup - 2, 10. It was set to 0, 0. This has cured my issue completely.

Despite reading all info I could find and trying to get round the complete lack of instructions I’d missed this step. Hopefully it’ll help someone else in future.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 ML 350
Could someone with these units please comment on the performance (starting up, switch between OEM to android ) of them? I watched a couple of youtube with these units and seems like it takes over 40 sec for the android screen be become ready from turning ignition key, and >10s to switch from OEM screen to android screen.

Also I was planning to order the 8 core model from 4x4shop.ca, until the sales guy told me that the unit cannot be used with GPS splitter, he told me there is no adapter for it. Any idea about this? I'd like to use the factory GPS antenna for a reliable signal. Actually half of the reason I buy this is for a decent GPS nav.

Thanks!

Last edited by hovr; 03-22-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:18 AM

GL X166
Boot up is 20-30 seconds from cold start to CarPlay (depending on how fast Bluetooth connects as a pre-req), if using just android it’s far less. Switching between OEM and Android is a second or so with a hold of the button.

All connectors on these units are same as far as I know, and you can indeed get a splitter. I bought Fakra C male to 2 x female and then had to get a male to SMA Male to connect to the unit. If you can get Fakra to Fakra/SMA direct it avoid the extra cable.
hovr (04-04-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 03:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 ML 350
I also have 2 questions related to mic

1. When is mic used? - I can imagine 3 different way to receive/make a call a) NTG, factory head unit based call, I suppose the mic won't be used. b) phone connects to Android screen bluetooth. c) phone connects to Android screen Carplay (which mic gets used? iphone's or android screen's).
2. Best way to install it - hate to poke a hole on steering wheel boot. It's a very awkward place to work with, drill a decent looking hole that won't tear further might not be very easy.

-Thanks
Old 06-14-2021, 08:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes GL63
It’s been a while since anyone posted to this. Great advice. I ordered and received an android unit and deciding when to pull the trigger and install. I’m not too concerned about the physical install and plugs. But, all the setting adjustments seem to be the main time suck. I did find a video that seemed to do a nice job walking through the process. Anyone install one of these recently and have recent tips?
Old 06-14-2021, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,073 Likes on 860 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Post the link to the good video for the install. I've had one of these screens for a few years and have been holding off installation until the warranty runs out. Don't want any reason for MB to deny coverage of any component.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:33 PM

2015 Mercedes GL63

The only issue is the overwhelming background music. However this is one of the better ones I’ve found.
I took several photos of my install of my amplifier/subwoofer install. When I tackle this project, I’ll post updates here also.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL550 x166 / BMW e92
X166 OBD2 port not working after installing Android HU

Installed a 12.3 inch android screen that reroutes the vents under the screen. It works beautifully (let me know if you need help installing one) except obd2 port no longer connects to wired code readers or bluetooth dongles. There is power, code readers powers up fine but no data connection. I don't think I'll be able to pass state emissions as they plug it to obd2. I don't care for getting performance info on the android screen. I'd rather have a functional obd2 port. I would prefer not having to install the oem screen every year to pass inspection. Anyone seen this?

Henry Hemphill (12-04-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 08:20 AM

2015 Mercedes GL63
Originally Posted by Boston79
Installed a 12.3 inch android screen that reroutes the vents under the screen. It works beautifully (let me know if you need help installing one) except obd2 port no longer connects to wired code readers or bluetooth dongles. There is power, code readers powers up fine but no data connection. I don't think I'll be able to pass state emissions as they plug it to obd2. I don't care for getting performance info on the android screen. I'd rather have a functional obd2 port. I would prefer not having to install the oem screen every year to pass inspection. Anyone seen this?

Where did you purchase from? I just booth the 9” and have not installed. Thinking I like this better.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL550 x166 / BMW e92
Originally Posted by Scott2016
Where did you purchase from? I just booth the 9” and have not installed. Thinking I like this better.
I actually had the 9" installed for 2 weeks and it looked good but then saw this one and couldn't resist. The 9" is like new - if anyone wants it, I'll take 200 (snapdragon 8 core cpu, 4gb ram and 64gb internal memory).

Be aware, the dashboard piece of the 12.3 looks nice but the mechanical parts of the vents barely work and feel cheap to open/close/changing air flow direction. The vents would actually close when turning the fun high. I ended up disconnecting the front "wheel" controls (one wasn't working at all) and tied the mechanism inside stuck open for the time being. They're sending me another part but doubt it will make a difference. They made me work for it too...

https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink?...areScene=buyer

Last edited by Boston79; 06-16-2021 at 09:06 AM.
Scott2016 (06-16-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Main Screen Retrofit to 9" with CarPlay