GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Aux Video (Amazon Firestick) & COMAND NTG 4.7

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 01:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 GL550
Lightbulb Aux Video (Amazon Firestick) & COMAND NTG 4.7

I've been trying to find a way to display auxillary video input on the OEM COMAND screen in my '13 GL550 but was unable to locate any official documentation on the topic despite the feature seemingly being supported natively (via the "Aux" submenu within "Video"). In the COMAND manual, pages 232 and 217, there is mention of being able to connect external video devices, but the instructions are less than precise on how exactly this is accomplished. I also found some forum posts from other members indicating that a certain Media Interface cable was the key to getting external video sources to show up via the "Aux Video" menu. A bit of digging revealed that the 1/8'' cable that came with the MB SKU Part #166-827-02-04 Media Interface Kit was the cable I needed.

Surprisingly, this cable kit can't be found inexpensively on Amazon or elsewhere, but I did manage to find the kit for $50 on eBay. It took about 4 weeks to arrive and in combination with "3.5mm to 3 RCA AV" (also known as a "1/8" TRRS AUX Male(CTIA) to RCA Male Stereo Audio Video Cable") I was able to get external video to show up on my COMAND screen!

3.5mm to 3 RCA AV 3.5mm to 3 RCA AV

In my case, my end goal was to attach an Amazon Firestick to my system, which itself would run an emulator to play vintage video games. The Firestick Lite is connected to an HDMI to RCA converter to enable it to connect to the 3.5mm to 3 RCA AV cable (which is then connected to the 1/8'' female Media Interface Cable, which is plugged into the Media Interface port in the center console armrest.
Here's an image of the cable connections:

How to connect a Firestick to NTG 4.7 via Media Interface

Here's a video of the setup working:

In my case, I paired the Firestick with 2 8bitdo sn30 pro bluetooth game controllers to enable the retro gaming piece.

8bitdo sn30 pro bluetooth game controllers 8bitdo sn30 pro bluetooth game controllers

information about emulation gaming on an Amazon fire stick can be found here:

Information about customizing the Amazon Firestick here:

Adding a device with an app ecosystem to the COMAND system really enables a whole host of new functionality; for example, you can mirror your device's screen (phone, tablet, laptop) to your Firestick and show the content on the COMAND screen. Even more possibilities when paired with a Video-in-motion unlock!

Last edited by Jason Stewart; 02-03-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:08 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Very cool.

FWIW, you can also do the same thing via HDMI with some of the aftermarket modules that enable Apple CarPlay/Android Auto on the main screen
Old 02-01-2021, 04:11 PM

2013 GL550
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
Very cool.

FWIW, you can also do the same thing via HDMI with some of the aftermarket modules that enable Apple CarPlay/Android Auto on the main screen
True! In my case, I was looking for to use what was already in the vehicle and OEM COMAND interface, but there are other options out there if you want to install additional hardware, such as this one:

Road Top Retrofit Kit Decoder Road Top Retrofit Kit Decoder
Old 02-01-2021, 05:03 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by Jason Stewart
True! In my case, I was looking for to use what was already in the vehicle and OEM COMAND interface, but there are other options out there if you want to install additional hardware, such as this one:

Road Top Retrofit Kit Decoder
That happens to be the exact unit installed in my GL.

(Due to the design of the X166 dash, installing one of these units is plug and play and requires the removal of exactly two screws. There's even a nice open space behind the climate controls to place the unit. In contrast, installing a similar unit in my E212 E350 was much more involved.)

The cool thing about using your selection of cables is the ability to use virtually any device to display on the OEM screen.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 02-01-2021 at 05:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cadetdrivr:
Jason Stewart (02-03-2021), OnlyGerman (02-03-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
Amazing!!!

what’s the eBay link??
Old 02-02-2021, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Awesome! I was always confused on how the "Aux" video was supposed to work. Not surprised that Mercedes manuals suck. Now, does the VIM include video aux or just DVDs?

Last edited by OnlyGerman; 02-02-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:33 AM

2013 GL550
Originally Posted by black06c230
Amazing!!! what’s the eBay link??
Here's the one I bought:

MERCEDES BENZ MEDIA INTERFACE CONSUMER CABLE KIT 2015 SLK 350 BNWT

It's hard to fine the part on eBay, but you can get it from any Mercedes Benz parts store, such as this one:

Media Interface Consumer Cable Kit - NTG4.5 - Mercedes-Benz (166-827-02-04)

Originally Posted by OnlyGerman
Awesome! I was always confused on how the "Aux" video was supposed to work. Not surprised that Mercedes manuals suck. Now, does the VIM include video aux or just DVDs?
The Video-in-Motion unlock works with both DVD video as well as Aux Video input. In fact, the unlock unrestricts all the previously in-motion-restricted functions in COMAND, such as viewing the owner's manual, setting a navigation destination, etc...
The following users liked this post:
JPnorthSouth (03-24-2022)
Old 02-03-2021, 09:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
GL350, Audi A3 TDI, VW Beetle TDI
The information in the link indicates that the Road Top Retrofit Kit supports the OEM back-up camera. Does anyone know if the kit supports the OEM 360 surround system? I could contact vendor directly--but not even interested if it doesn't.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:50 AM

2013 GL550
Originally Posted by mikeolive
The information in the link indicates that the Road Top Retrofit Kit supports the OEM back-up camera. Does anyone know if the kit supports the OEM 360 surround system? I could contact vendor directly--but not even interested if it doesn't.
Yes, it does.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
Here's the one I bought:

MERCEDES BENZ MEDIA INTERFACE CONSUMER CABLE KIT 2015 SLK 350 BNWT

It's hard to fine the part on eBay, but you can get it from any Mercedes Benz parts store, such as this one:

Media Interface Consumer Cable Kit - NTG4.5 - Mercedes-Benz (166-827-02-04)

The Video-in-Motion unlock works with both DVD video as well as Aux Video input. In fact, the unlock unrestricts all the previously in-motion-restricted functions in COMAND, such as viewing the owner's manual, setting a navigation destination, etc...
Very good to know! Thank you
Old 03-04-2021, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MERCEDES ML250 W166
No Function

Hello Guys!

My ML250 Bluetec 2/2014 is running VIM DVDs with Software from Bimmerguru.

Now i bought and installed with the Original AMI Aux Cable connected to a aux cable to red white yellow connected to an HDMI Converter in which a Amazon Fire TV Stick is connected.

I am able to choose VIDEO AUX on COMMAND but no picture no sound no function

PLEASE HELP
Old 03-04-2021, 09:32 AM

2013 GL550
Originally Posted by Markus Pammer
Hello Guys!

My ML250 Bluetec 2/2014 is running VIM DVDs with Software from Bimmerguru.

Now i bought and installed with the Original AMI Aux Cable connected to a aux cable to red white yellow connected to an HDMI Converter in which a Amazon Fire TV Stick is connected.

I am able to choose VIDEO AUX on COMMAND but no picture no sound no function

PLEASE HELP
Hi Markus,

This same thing happened to me at first. In my case, it seems the MMI cable pin-outs for audio and video didn't match the expected colors on the "3.5mm to 3 RCA AV" cable. I played around with plugging different colors into the HDMI converter and found that this was the combination that gave me audio and video:

Red Male (cable) to Yellow Female (HDMI Converter)
Yellow Male (cable) to White Female (HDMI Converter)
White Male (cable) to Red Female (HDMI Converter)

Also, be sure that your HDMI converter is actually plugged in and powered. The USB port In the arm rest of my GL550, for example, wasn't able to power from USB devices, so it's possible wherever you have your HDMI converter plugged in may not be supplying enough power.

Can you send a link to the MMI cable you purchased? There are some on the market that truly are JUST audio input (no video), so I'd like to make sure you didn't get one of those.

Report back and let me know if either of those steps alleviate your issue.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:47 AM

MERCEDES ML250 W166
Hi Markus,

This same thing happened to me at first. In my case, it seems the MMI cable pin-outs for audio and video didn't match the expected colors on the "3.5mm to 3 RCA AV" cable. I played around with plugging different colors into the HDMI converter and found that this was the combination that gave me audio and video:

Also, be sure that your HDMI converter is actually plugged in and powered. The USB port In the arm rest of my GL550, for example, wasn't able to power from USB devices, so it's possible wherever you have your HDMI converter plugged in may not be supplying enough power.

Can you send a link to the MMI cable you purchased? There are some on the market that truly are JUST audio input (no video), so I'd like to make sure you didn't get one of those.

Report back and let me know if either of those steps alleviate your issue.
changing the colors did not change the situation

i powered Stick and Converter with the cigarette lighter 12V

black Screen :-(((

Old 03-04-2021, 09:54 AM

2013 GL550
changing the colors did not change the situation

i powered Stick and Converter with the cigarette lighter 12V

black Screen :-(((
Hum... can you confirm that the HDMI converter and firestick are working outside of the vehicle? Also, did you play around with the PAL vs NTSC switch on the side of the converter?

The part numbers you have on your cable are different than mine, but the cable itself looks the same.

MMI Cable
Old 03-04-2021, 10:09 AM

MERCEDES ML250 W166
Hum... can you confirm that the HDMI converter and firestick are working outside of the vehicle? Also, did you play around with the PAL vs NTSC switch on the side of the converter?

The part numbers you have on your cable are different than mine, but the cable itself looks the same.

MMI Cable

i also got this cable with no function

i am able to Test Fire TV on my TV but where to test the converter

a SUPER NES also should work right? Apple TV? Chromecast?

i am down with my nerves
Old 03-04-2021, 10:59 AM

2013 GL550

i am able to Test Fire TV on my TV but where to test the converter

a SUPER NES also should work right? Apple TV? Chromecast?

i am down with my nerves
My advice would be to confirm each of the components is working, independently, to identify the root cause.

First thing I would test is the firestick... plug it into a TV that has HDMI input and confirm the firestick screen shows up on the TV.

Second, I would test the HDMI converter... plug it into a device that has the 3 RCA cable input and confirm you see a "test pattern" on the screen, which will look something like this:

Next I would test the "3.5mm to 3 RCA AV" cable... for this you will need a device that has a 3.5mm input (or output) to connect it to, the goal of which is to see something show up on a screen.

Last, I would test the MMI cable itself. This will be difficult since using the vehicle is the only way to test it, but try at least confirming that you can get some signal from the cable into the vehicle. If it were me, I would test to make sure I could at least get Audio into the car by connecting an old iPod or iPhone headphone cable into the MMI cable 3.5'' female.

It's also possible that there's a fuse or something that is preventing the MMI port itself from working.

I hope these diagnostic steps help!
Old 03-04-2021, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
You probably have a bad converter. These things are just cheap chinese junk. As stated, test outside the car first. To confirm, the USB port inside the console will NOT power these converters??

Last edited by OnlyGerman; 03-04-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:11 PM

MERCEDES ML250 W166
The AMI Cable is working well AUX Audio with my mobile phone

fire TV also

so only the cable to the converter or the converter itself could be bad
Old 03-04-2021, 11:27 PM

MERCEDES ML250 W166
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman
You probably have a bad converter. These things are just cheap chinese junk. As stated, test outside the car first. To confirm, the USB port inside the console will NOT power these converters??
i did not try the USB Port power, but the cigarette lighter Port

until now - i was not able to manage the things start running

i hope i will find any chance to test this da*n converter today
Old 03-06-2021, 03:37 AM

MERCEDES ML250 W166
i did not try the USB Port power, but the cigarette lighter Port

until now - i was not able to manage the things start running

i hope i will find any chance to test this da*n converter today

thanks a lot guys!
Old 03-06-2021, 04:14 AM

MERCEDES ML250 W166
Oh no

now i got picture but no sound :-(
Old 03-23-2021, 09:00 AM

2013 GL550
Oh no

now i got picture but no sound :-(
Markus, did you ever get this figured out?

Old 03-25-2021, 05:19 AM

MERCEDES ML250 W166
Markus, did you ever get this figured out?

I will try this once again.

But i got the Problem that the „normal“ AUX function also gives no sound out any more - this worked until i began to plug in and out and until i began to change parameters in SOFTWARE (internal amp and so on)

Otherwise i have to Go to Mercedes but i am afraid that there also would be no help for me

I hope you can help me
Old 03-25-2021, 10:32 AM

2013 GL550
I will try this once again.

But i got the Problem that the „normal“ AUX function also gives no sound out any more - this worked until i began to plug in and out and until i began to change parameters in SOFTWARE (internal amp and so on)

Otherwise i have to Go to Mercedes but i am afraid that there also would be no help for me

I hope you can help me
Ah, I see. You are probably right that changing the software settings (presumably through the hidden engineering menu) has caused the AUX input to stop working. Can you reset the parameters to their default and try again?
Old 03-25-2021, 04:15 PM

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
2003 E55 AMG; 2013 GL550 4Matic; 2003 CL600
Does this setup allow mirroring of the same video to the headrest screens, like when playing a DVD from the headunit?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aux Video (Amazon Firestick) & COMAND NTG 4.7