GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

2015 GL63 AMG Massage seats not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL63AMG
Exclamation 2015 GL63 AMG Massage seats not working

Hello would appreciate any help just purchased a 2015 gl63amg when I select the massage settings or any other setting it resets back to zero
ran the codes with a simple ob2 scanner got some codes
B1EA953 PUMP HAS MALFUCTION IS DEACTIVATED
B1EA998 PNENUMATIC PUMP FOR MULTICONTOUR SEAT HAS MALFUCTION THE COMPONET OR SYSTEM HAS OVERTEMPATURE (DONT MIND THE INCORRECT SPELLING)

I KNOW how to work on a chevy ford Nissan not a Benz I would like to keep this car I love it so far but
I looked into it thinking it may be the pump for the seats ???
was reading it can be manyyyyyy other problems
I would like to know where to start
can't find any info on this specific car
thank you for any help
Old 12-28-2020, 09:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
09, SL550 and 14 AMG GL63
So.... funny you should mention

Same deal w mine. 2014 GL63. You get a leak in seat airline (think neoprene aquarium air pump type line)... leak causes air pump to run constantly trying to establish pressure... air pump burns out....

$450 at MB dealer to identify leak, replace air pump. According to MB, especially prone to this issue in really hot climates across southern US where interior summer temps equivalent to nuclear reactor core are common.
The following users liked this post:
Jet007 (09-12-2023)
Old 12-28-2020, 06:03 PM

GL63AMG
Thanks, do you know what air line was leaking ? I was looking into it and there are many air lines ones that run to the seat and then a maze of them in the seat
and they charged 450 to replace the pump and fix the line not bad
I called MB and they told me $1000 just for the pump they may have been speaking about the pump for air ride but they would not give me a part number, got to love them
also yes this is a Florida car with black interior so yessss nuclear temps in the summer
and additional info would be much appreciated
thank you Richard
Jet007 (09-12-2023)
Old 12-29-2020, 06:59 AM

Well.....inre Air Line

If you were so inclined in the DIY world...
1. replace air pump.
2. listen for, try and find leak (you will probably hear it, that pump puts out a lot of psi.
3. If able to locate, replace line, if unable, unplug pump so as not to burn it out again.
4. I would also try “capping” off one seat at a time... just to ID which seat has the air leak. If pump stops, you have identified culprit for further tracing. Note that the “capping”technique is also useful for tracing each branch line. You can always plug in a airline union in each place you cut till you find it.
5. If all else fails, by capping off the main line to the offending seat, at least you have the other seat working and you won’t fry your pump.
6. This issue is endemic in MB. I get the lumbar air support, every mfg. uses air. But seat pan and side bolsters? Those should be mechanical IMO.
7. Last resort: Give up, pay the 1k get your seat fixed by the shop.
GhostRider91 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 07:05 AM

Which air line?

Passenger seat main line right under seat....MB also had initially quoted 1k to diagnose repair. Aforementioned cap technique is exactly what they use. Seat out w/ extension line spliced in to diagnose (i.e. put their ear next to seat to listen for air escaping whistle). 😉
Old 12-29-2020, 07:21 AM

Great youtube video

“Fixing the SL500 r230 multi contour seat” by MGuy
Old 12-29-2020, 02:31 PM

GL63AMG
Thank you I will look into it when I have a chance I will start by replacing the pump
I'm having a problem finding the pump, they quoted me 1000 just for the pump that was over the phone hope they were talking about a different pump
I will call again today and see what they say
thanks again !!!
Old 02-03-2024, 01:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 GL550
Originally Posted by GhostRider91
Thank you I will look into it when I have a chance I will start by replacing the pump
I'm having a problem finding the pump, they quoted me 1000 just for the pump that was over the phone hope they were talking about a different pump
I will call again today and see what they say
thanks again !!!
@GhostRider91 curious if you resolved your seat massage and lumbar issue. If so, did you find out what the part number was?
Old 04-18-2024, 10:30 AM

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
All -

Not sure if y'all got your seats fixed...but....I did.

I ordered this kit on Amazon -
Amazon Amazon

On both front seats there are two air hoses (enclosed in a felt-ish wrapper of sorts). There is a blue and black. Both side the black hose had failed in multiple areas and was just falling apart.

The fix: use a fine point awl to pop off the fittings under the seat next to the pump, also, remove the rear cover of the seat (two lower screws, the back pulls DOWN and out). You will see the black and blue hoses go to a distribution box and another connector (blue) going under. I Used a razor blade to carefully cut the fittings off of the old hose (to reuse on the new hose). There were two zip tie mounts under the front of the seat - but the zip tie (you replace them in the tie mounts). Then, tie a string to the tubes, pull them out towards the front of the car (leaving the string).

Attach the string to a pair of the new tube (both blue) and pull them trough, decide what one is going to pretend it is the failed black tube. I put the fittings into the tube by hand and used a heat gun to shrink the ends just a tad - plug them in, cut to size it the back, replace the zip ties....put the seat back on an be done with it.

Drivers seat took me 45 minutes - passenger side took me 15 minutes.

Old 04-18-2024, 02:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 GL550
Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
All -

Not sure if y'all got your seats fixed...but....I did.

I ordered this kit on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJ1BYKV...roduct_details

On both front seats there are two air hoses (enclosed in a felt-ish wrapper of sorts). There is a blue and black. Both side the black hose had failed in multiple areas and was just falling apart.

The fix: use a fine point awl to pop off the fittings under the seat next to the pump, also, remove the rear cover of the seat (two lower screws, the back pulls DOWN and out). You will see the black and blue hoses go to a distribution box and another connector (blue) going under. I Used a razor blade to carefully cut the fittings off of the old hose (to reuse on the new hose). There were two zip tie mounts under the front of the seat - but the zip tie (you replace them in the tie mounts). Then, tie a string to the tubes, pull them out towards the front of the car (leaving the string).

Attach the string to a pair of the new tube (both blue) and pull them trough, decide what one is going to pretend it is the failed black tube. I put the fittings into the tube by hand and used a heat gun to shrink the ends just a tad - plug them in, cut to size it the back, replace the zip ties....put the seat back on an be done with it.

Drivers seat took me 45 minutes - passenger side took me 15 minutes.
thanks for this update! In your case, what was the symptom you were trying to fix? Did you ventilated seat button stay on for a time and then turn off?
Old 04-18-2024, 10:22 PM

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
Nothing worked....lumbar, message...well, those two did not work...