GLA or GLB as 1st Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 04:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
new to Mercedes; looking for 1st one
GLA or GLB as 1st Mercedes

Hi,
I'm currently driving a 15 year old Lexus IS 250 (& clearly keep my cars for a very long time). I'm finally ready for a new car & I think I've narrowed it down to a GLA or GLB. I typically like driving smaller cars but the back seat in my Lexus is very tight. We have a small family consisting of me, my husband & my 13 year old son. I'd probably be more comfortable driving the GLA due to the smaller size but I realize the GLB may be more practical as my son gets bigger. Can anyone shed some light on both vehicles... pros/cons?
I should also mention that my husband needs to get a new car too (such bad timing) b/c his 10 year old BMW 5 series needs $10,000 worth of work. We are thinking maybe it would be good for one of us to have an SUV so if I get the GLA, he'd probably still get a BMW X5 or Audi Q7 since the GLA is not a true suv.. but if I go with the GLB, he will get an Audi sedan or another BMW5 series...
Thx so much!
Old 07-04-2021, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 366 Likes on 303 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Actually, the new 2nd generation GLA is now an SUV. Having said that, the backseat might not be the best for your teenage son. 2 of my boy cousins grew a foot each when they were both 13 putting them both over 6 feet tall. Maybe you should have your husband sit in the back seat of the new GLA to see how he fits. If you'll be the one primarily driving the GLA, it might still be your best choice. Your husband might also want to take a look at the MB offerings that are comparable to the vehicles you listed. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-04-2021, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 190Efan
Actually, the new 2nd generation GLA is now an SUV. Having said that, the backseat might not be the best for your teenage son. 2 of my boy cousins grew a foot each when they were both 13 putting them both over 6 feet tall. Maybe you should have your husband sit in the back seat of the new GLA to see how he fits. If you'll be the one primarily driving the GLA, it might still be your best choice. Your husband might also want to take a look at the MB offerings that are comparable to the vehicles you listed. Just my 2 cents.
will do; good idea thx!
Old 07-06-2021, 05:19 PM

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
GLE 350 , GLA 250 and Lexus ES 350
I just bought GLE 350 for myself and my wife got GLA 250. We are satisfied for now. Here are some pics. We bought in June 2021. GLA is very stable because of the wider wheelbase. I tried on sharp turns without any issue. It feels like it is glued to the ground. GLB is a boxy look. I do not know much but I believe the trunk is big rest might be the same, i.e. engine, transmission and turbo. We saw glb but my wife like GLA sporty look

Last edited by sub786sub; 07-06-2021 at 05:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sharifshopping (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 10:28 PM

Thx; that gray is the color i want! Do u mind me asking if u have kids? I appreciate the reply & photos 😍 congrats on your purchases!
Old 07-07-2021, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by sharifshopping
Thx; that gray is the color i want! Do u mind me asking if u have kids? I appreciate the reply & photos 😍 congrats on your purchases!
Thank you! Yea I have one 18 year old who will be going to ASU in Aug this year. He is 5' 9" and my daughter still young (13). I believe the roof is high for SUV ( gla) in its class. Actually, on paper GLA 2021 is higher than its previous gen. Hope this helps
sharifshopping (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 11:43 AM

thx good to know.. so sounds like the GLA will be big enough for your 13 year old (like I have ) :-) Now just to find one!
Old 07-07-2021, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by sub786sub
I just bought GLE 350 for myself and my wife got GLA 250. We are satisfied for now. Here are some pics. We bought in June 2021. GLA is very stable because of the wider wheelbase. I tried on sharp turns without any issue. It feels like it is glued to the ground. GLB is a boxy look. I do not know much but I believe the trunk is big rest might be the same, i.e. engine, transmission and turbo. We saw glb but my wife like GLA sporty look

Congrats on your purchases. I wish you many happy miles with your new MBs.
sharifshopping (07-13-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
thx good to know.. so sounds like the GLA will be big enough for your 13 year old (like I have ) :-) Now just to find one!
Good luck with your GLA search. I read an article yesterday where MB thinks that the computer chip shortage will last for the rest of this year. You might want to consider waiting to purchase just a little longer until the chip shortage issue is better resolved and purchase prices will hopefully come back down to more normal levels. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:11 PM

Good luck with your GLA search. I read an article yesterday where MB thinks that the computer chip shortage will last for the rest of this year. You might want to consider waiting to purchase just a little longer until the chip shortage issue is better resolved and purchase prices will hopefully come back down to more normal levels. Just my 2 cents.
Yea I heard many say wait for the chip manufacturer to resume the chip. But I think the issue is beyond that because of covid every part of the car got delayed not chip only. And when they will open and some already started to open they will raise the price to compensate for the lost time and money and of course employees wages pressure, etc.. So if we are thinking that the price will drop to pre-covid I will be surprised. Also if someone needs the car today it does not make sense to wait as it will not be a cost-effective approach to wait when one need now. But I might be wrong in my thinking as the economy many times has deceived expert judgments. Also, inflation is rising and with crypto getting into the economy prices will increase in the coming years. That's my 2 cents.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:12 PM

Congrats on your purchases. I wish you many happy miles with your new MBs.
Appreciate for the kind wishes. My average years of keeping any car is 6 to 7 years
Old 07-08-2021, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Yea I heard many say wait for the chip manufacturer to resume the chip. But I think the issue is beyond that because of covid every part of the car got delayed not chip only. And when they will open and some already started to open they will raise the price to compensate for the lost time and money and of course employees wages pressure, etc.. So if we are thinking that the price will drop to pre-covid I will be surprised. Also if someone needs the car today it does not make sense to wait as it will not be a cost-effective approach to wait when one need now. But I might be wrong in my thinking as the economy many times has deceived expert judgments. Also, inflation is rising and with crypto getting into the economy prices will increase in the coming years. That's my 2 cents.
From what I've been reading the chip shortage is the main delay culprit. Manufacturers including MB have vehicles piling up at vehicle prep centers waiting for their computer chips before they can be delivered to customers. This vehicle shortage is what's driving up automotive prices. Once the chip shortage eases there will be more vehicles available for sale and that will ease the current price pressure so this is why I think waiting a little longer for these issues to sort themselves out is the way to go.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:59 PM

From what I've been reading the chip shortage is the main delay culprit. Manufacturers including MB have vehicles piling up at vehicle prep centers waiting for their computer chips before they can be delivered to customers. This vehicle shortage is what's driving up automotive prices. Once the chip shortage eases there will be more vehicles available for sale and that will ease the current price pressure so this is why I think waiting a little longer for these issues to sort themselves out is the way to go.
I heard for MB there is a wait for 5 to 6 months minimum with no guarantee. So if someone needs a car now they need to see which is cost-effective either to wait for 6 months or buy now. Personally, I believe prices are not going to fall back to pre covid, but I agree they might pull back for the used car but not for the new car. As demand will keep driving the price of the new car higher for the next few years to compensate for a year of shut down.
I bought CPO GLE 350 2018 with 32 K miles at 40K price 3 weeks back. Now the same model years with more milage at the same location is higher. Crazy

Last edited by sub786sub; 07-13-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:23 PM

Ugh yep I’m thinking of waiting.. good to know thx
Old 07-13-2021, 05:28 PM

It seems like some of the dealers here have one or two gla’s trickling in in the next few weeks so my dilemma is whether to grab one of those even tho it may have extra options on it that i don’t necessarily need or build my own & wait at least 3 months or so... thoughts? Thx
Old 07-13-2021, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Act quick, due to microchip shortages as well as prioritization of higher profit and newer models (W223 S-Class, EQS, SL) more lower end models such as the GLA and GLB will be facing a lack of options. My local GM has told me that panoramic roofs will be extremely limited, and the chip shortage may even prevent power tailgates in some models.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
I heard for MB there is a wait for 5 to 6 months minimum with no guarantee. So if someone needs a car now they need to see which is cost-effective either to wait for 6 months or buy now. Personally, I believe prices are not going to fall back to pre covid, but I agree they might pull back for the used car but not for the new car. As demand will keep driving the price of the new car higher for the next few years to compensate for a year of shut down.
I bought CPO GLE 350 2018 with 32 K miles at 40K price 3 weeks back. Now the same model years with more milage at the same location is higher. Crazy
Chip production will eventually get back to normal which will help to alleviate the vehicles backlog and that will bring prices back down.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
It seems like some of the dealers here have one or two gla’s trickling in in the next few weeks so my dilemma is whether to grab one of those even tho it may have extra options on it that i don’t necessarily need or build my own & wait at least 3 months or so... thoughts? Thx
I still think I would suggest waiting until chip production gets back to normal and the current vehicle backlog goes down if you think your current vehicle will last another year without a major repair issue. Waiting may also help you to save thousands on your purchase and make it possible for you to get the vehicle you want with only the options you really want. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:32 AM

I still think I would suggest waiting until chip production gets back to normal and the current vehicle backlog goes down if you think your current vehicle will last another year without a major repair issue. Waiting may also help you to save thousands on your purchase and make it possible for you to get the vehicle you want with only the options you really want. Just my 2 cents.
I heard with 2nd wave of Covid ( variant ) production might remain low so does not look like it is going to recover in near future. I think going back to full production and making it available for the general public might take a long time and during that time price will continue to climb. But hope people do not lose more jobs otherwise demand will fall and prices can go down as there will be no buyers.