Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

AMG owner, new to GLA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
AMG owner, new to GLA

Hi everyone.
Have a C63, plan to get a GLA45.

Some questions:
Did they all come with runflats? Any chance someone that has a donut spare can post how it sits in the trunk,?so I can see what sort of adaptor may have to buy.

Does the idle change when you put it in Sport plus? Goes up a bit?

Did all of them get the power display? I think the one I am looking at has audio 20 and I don't seem to get to this screen.

Is there a software boost gauge buried in there somewhere in the menus? Is there one that can come up from coding in Vediamo?
Thanks guys
Old 01-31-2021, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I guess I'm used to the C63 W204 forum, where things are happening.
I guess I'll keep posting here, maybe one of you will join the conversation.
If not, I'll try my luck at the AMG lounge...

So I looked at the options to replace the factory 20's. Only 3 tires available on the Tirerack?
Now, the Mercedes dealer told me they're runflats, but after researching for an hour, I can see that if they were runflats, there should have been an SSR badge after the Contisportcontact 5P script on the tire.

So, they're not runflats and the inflator that I saw in the trunk must be like some foam pushing device then.
Edit: the Tirefit kit, ok.
So I need to find a way to install the mercedes kit with wheel chocks, jack and lug wrench, then find a suitable donut wheel.

Last edited by Vladds; 01-31-2021 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:35 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
W222
Originally Posted by Vladds
Hi everyone.
Have a C63, plan to get a GLA45.

Some questions:
Did they all come with runflats? Any chance someone that has a donut spare can post how it sits in the trunk,?so I can see what sort of adaptor may have to buy.

Does the idle change when you put it in Sport plus? Goes up a bit?

Did all of them get the power display? I think the one I am looking at has audio 20 and I don't seem to get to this screen.

Is there a software boost gauge buried in there somewhere in the menus? Is there one that can come up from coding in Vediamo?
Thanks guys

Take care, as Renault based A, B, CLA, GLA, is hard to be considered MB, if you came from C63...

Audio20 does not support Engine Data, only Comand.

The following users liked this post:
Vladds (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
This is how the spare gets done.
No spare peace of mind | Page 3 | Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum (glaowners.com)

last posting with pictures and link where to buy. From what I know from my C63, even the OEM donut spare doesn't come with a TPMS sensor and the car will run with the tire pressure message, until you get the spare fixed.
There are two things that I haven't figured yet:
1. If the vendor in the link sells a wheel that the centering feature of the lugs machined on sphere (all OEM lug nuts and bolts have the seating area in sphere shape, while all aftermarket wheels have it in a cone shape and require replacement of the wheel bolts or nuts with ones that have a cone at the bottom). Let's see if I get and answer to my question from the vendor.
2. If the calculated exterior diameter of the spare wheel must match the calculated exterior diameter of the normal car wheel. I'll do a quick calculation of the C63 this morning.
Another thing is that the ECU may know of the size of the temporary wheel anyway, therefore even if the external diameter of the temporary wheel does not match the normal use wheel, the ECU is aware of the possibility that it may be used, and therefore the ABS and traction control will react to that.

The temporary spare is 125/70/18. The ECu doesn't know in the C63. Also, it is equipped with factory staggered wheels, this is why there are two screens.
Seems the size of the spare doesn't make a difference.
I don't know why there's a 15" wheel in the options for the rear.

Last edited by Vladds; 02-11-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Originally Posted by trigital
Take care, as Renault based A, B, CLA, GLA, is hard to be considered MB, if you came from C63...

Audio20 does not support Engine Data, only Comand.
Thanks for the useful info.

The C63 is and shall remain with me. The GLA is meant to replace a Subaru WRX Sti, with a daily utility that I need.
I did everything I could maintenance wise (except for replacing the thermostat) and the C63 cannot climb over 12.5-13 MPG in urban commute.
Also, even with Nokian Hakkapeliita, I have no illusions of what can be expected from it in snow.
All I want from the GLA 45 is to deliver stock levels of power and torque similar with my modded Sti. Was mid-level modded, 400-425 Crank Hp. the GLA's 375 HP should be able to seem kinda ok.
My first test drive it didn't seem like 375 HP, and I was looking everywhere for the power gauge. But I thought that the dealer most likely fueled cheap gas in it and it probably retarded the timing because of this.

Edit, the GLA performance display doesn't actually measure something

But if you want it anyway and your audio 20 doesn't have it, this guy can enable it.

https://www.unichip-tec.com/h-pd-52.html#_pp=142_820

Last edited by Vladds; 01-31-2021 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:12 PM

W222
I know very well this guy, Garry and I also know that Audio 20 doesn't support engine data.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Got you. At the same time, engine data is just a virtual indicator that sweeps based on RPM.
It does nothing to tell you, for instance show that there's something wrong with your car and it doesn't make the full HP, or conversely, that you tuned it and now it is making more HP.
It is only programmed to do a full 375HP sweep, once the RPM comes to that point.
The transmission temperature can be helpful with transmission oil changes, but I would have to check the reading with the Xentry rig, to see if it is to be trusted.
Hey, is the GLA 45 a two-battery car?
All W204 C class are, except the C63.
I'm not used to two-battery cars, but I guess every time you have engine shut-down at traffic lights, there has to be a second, dedicated battery. And I already see the 160 Amp alternator, a sign that two batteries are being charged.
The C63 not only has only one battery, but there is an option when you floor it, for the alternator to be turned off and the car to run on battery, all done by the ECU, for reduced losses.

Edit:
It does have a secondary battery.

Last edited by Vladds; 02-06-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:26 AM

W222
The engine data is a little more complicated. has a routine to be teach in, taking into account Engine parameters. I don't know and is very good point, if in case of tuning the engine data will change accordingly

I will study this, but I have no experience for tunning ( I always delete tuned files to install factory software, for unhappy client's).

As you can see in gearbox live data, engine always report torque, so if the tune is correct, it should be displayed as well, after a new teach in for Comand.

The second battery only help electronics in Start/Stop procedure, usually is a very small AGM one about 12Ah ( like on w211)

Of course the alternator is switched off when Engine receive a request of torque, this is the definition of Agresive Energy Management ( Blueficiency - at older models).

Also, when braking, the alternator is on full charge...and this is the only reason for using AGM battery, because the normal ones can't integrate this kind of Agresive charging.

AMG models, has AMG menu in Cluster, that's shows the oil temperature for Engine, Gearbox, Coolant, besides chronometer for race, etc

Last edited by trigital; 02-06-2021 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
My C63 did not come with Engine Data, so I did not have the opportunity to analyze it with Xentry. If it has teach in, then it can be recalibrated for the increased power output. But I wonder what the procedure might be.
If it is as you say, then this gauge could still be of some use. For instance if someone fueled it with inferior octane, the ECU would retard the timing and the power output would be immediately affected. And shown as reduced by this gauge.

I did not pick up my GLA yet.
But looked at the options table and went in depth with the Audio 20. There are two kinds of audio20 options. a base one and one that is upgradeable via the SD slot. Maybe this is the difference?

So you're saying not to bother with the upgrade to engine data, because it won't work?

My C63 in the AMG menu shows the engine oil temperature, coolant and has chronometers and such. The transmission oil temperature is part of the transmission oil change procedure and I read it with the Xentry, the car doesn't display it.

Old 02-08-2021, 03:19 AM

W222
There 2 types ( or more )of Audio20, depending of the generation of the GLA.
2012-2015 NTG4.5
2015-2020(19) NTG5s1
Actual models has MBUX NTG6
GLA, will display gearbox temperature.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I picked up the car.
Am busy checking things at this time.
I have read about the two option types of Audio 20.
Where it gets confusing to me is my car has the upgraded audio 20. It has navigation via SD card. It has a CD slot and don't know yet whether it's a single CD, or multiple CD DVD in dash unit.
It then has in the list the Herman Kardon Logic 7 and has in the trunk the subwoofer and amp in the spare wheel location.
It used to be that if you have navigation and Hartman Kardon, you have the full NTG Command, not just Audio 20.
It's more difficult to understand where the upgrade comes, from a system like this to the full NTG command.
I looked again in the vehicle section and there is no screen for engine data.
I believe that the car has ambient lighting, but I have not found in the ambient lighting screen the adjustment of the ambient color. All I could see is ambient color intensity.
I thought I saw in the owners manual that the car decides the color, based on the conditions.
I checked the car for stored codes with the Xentry, so far looks good.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:07 AM

W222
HK is the amplifier side, it can support Comand and Audio20 as well.

Comand online, can be easily retrofit.

Usually ( before buying), the VIN number can be decoded on any dealer, on internet ( https://www.lastvin.com/) or even here, for verifying the options or service history.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
What do you make of this?
This is in the section relating to the head unit.
The performance media is what is now called engine data.

Also, I have no luck with Race Start.
I tried to have the transmission in manual, traction control off, in drive, in S, or S+, stepped on the brake, saw the hold, made sure seat belt is on and wheel is straight, no good. But the fuel is on low for now. So maybe after I fuel it..
AMG owner, new to GLA-photo932.jpg

Last edited by Vladds; 02-14-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:26 AM

W222
Audio 20 has the same coding file as the Comand, only due to obvious HW and SW differences, many functions can't be enabled.

You have there, Video and HDD with music copy/rip options as well. Of course without any posibilty to activate,

As I said, retrofitting a Comand is very easy.

About Race, as I know, only facelift x156 has it, but you can try:

https://www.glaowners.com/threads/launch-mode.25026/
Old 02-15-2021, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
When you write Facelift, you mean 2017 and up, right? mine is 2019.
So, later today I will fill the tank, then try again.

And look, as far as enabled options in Xentry, for the C63 it's quite straightforward. If you don't have it, it's not enabled.
But things may have changed, I understand this.

Hey, a different question.
I am looking at the data card with the options the car has.
I noticed option 195, optimized rear differential.
Now, I watched a video about the European A45 S. It has a rear electronic locking differential. Do you think that this may be it?

I know that many post that the only available option with locking differential for the GLA is the track pack and that's a front diff only.

I also saw a thread on GLA owners where a person with a GLA250 had the rear diff heavily damaged and learned that even in that car there were discs in the diff.

I know that there is a power take off from the front diff and that there should be something somewhere that acts like a center diff.
It could be those discs, if they are positioned upstream of the rear diff body. If they're built into the diff, then that's a rear electronically locking diff and the center diff is somewhere else.

Meanwhile my GLA, in driving slow around the neighborhood binds the driveline just like an Subaru WRX Sti. A sign that there are 3 locking diffs in the driveline.

When the weather gets nice, I will jack it up on jackstands and check every locking of every wheel.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:56 AM

W222
Post your VIN, I never see GLA x156 with AMG differential.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Do you know the name of the AMG differential option code? Is it 195? cause I'm looking at the card.
Other than this, yesterday for a short duration of time, the outside temp went over 40F and at that time, the Race Start became available.
So yes, there's a outside temperature restriction too.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Sorry, but posting the VIN does not sound like a safe idea. The VIN can then be linked to me and any mods I may EVER write about on the forum and easily brought up by a service advisor that wants to deny my warranty, even 5 years from now, etc.

Anyway, I figured out a way to determine what's going on in the rear Diff of my car. If there's an electronic AMG rear diff locker, it will be run by a module, the module will be on the CAN and XENTRY will see the module. There will be actuations and calibrations.

Anyway, with conversions/retrofits, is there a way to bring up Boost in say the AMG screen? I mean, we know that the car reads the Boost and its shown in Xentry, so maybe there's a way to reprogram the AMG screen, to include the boost reading?

Last edited by Vladds; 02-21-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
Just realized that with the dry dual clutch, I probably want to put it in neutral every time possible at lights.
Also, the engine eco mode probably saves clutch material as well as fuel.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:54 AM

W222
Originally Posted by Vladds
Sorry, but posting the VIN does not sound like a safe idea. The VIN can then be linked to me and any mods I may EVER write about on the forum and easily brought up by a service advisor that wants to deny my warranty, even 5 years from now, etc.

Anyway, I figured out a way to determine what's going on in the rear Diff of my car. If there's an electronic AMG rear diff locker, it will be run by a module, the module will be on the CAN and XENTRY will see the module. There will be actuations and calibrations.

Anyway, with conversions/retrofits, is there a way to bring up Boost in say the AMG screen? I mean, we know that the car reads the Boost and its shown in Xentry, so maybe there's a way to reprogram the AMG screen, to include the boost reading?

I never see Boost option for your model,

This is how it looks if you change to Comand

And this is available for w213, w205 facelift, w222facelif

Old 04-06-2021, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
The race start won't engage in outside temperatures below 40F.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VW, BMW, soon MB
How do you like the GLA compared to the c63
Old 04-22-2021, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I spend time comparing...

The weight is 400 lb less for the GLA45. The tune path takes it to 430HP without additional hardware changes of any kind and to 520 HP with a weistec turbo assembly.
The tune path takes the C63 to 530 HP without any other changes.
Mine is stock and will stay so for now (both cars).

It is wider and shorter than the C63.

It has the new style Mercedes interior, which is nicer to look at.

It starts in second and will shift into the highest gear and turn only 1500 rpm, just like it.

With my foot, the gas mileage is disappointing. I get 16-18 Mpg. In reality It has the Hermes option. Mercedes gave up on designing a nice remote start and gave it to Hermes.
There is nothing killing the gas mileage like idling the car at a car wash, or with an awesome iPhone ap remote start. The ap let's me check how much gas I have in the car, last reported tire pressures etc.
the C63 does between 12 and 14 MPG in commuting wit my foot. With a car wash 11.5.

there is more room in the back seat than the C63.
You're sitting lower in the C63.

TT he GLA44 has the AMG performance exhaust option, with the dashboard switch.
The C63 has a natural exhaust sound that is great
The GLA45 has a tuned exhaust sound. I only like it in the lower RPM at WOT. I find the combo I have slightly droning and not that great for a 4 cylinder, when I put the car in its sportiest setting. For instance, my wife's Fiat Abarth 4 cylinder turbo engine sounds better.
But with this said, the pops and upshift burble are awesome and get louder with the sport setting.

The race start is very serious and effective with the GLA

Seems like the GLA is wearing the tires, but the C63s voracious appetite for tires is unequaled.

The GLA45 surprises with its ability to build up the torque as it accelerates into the high speeds. Presses you into the seat back stronger as it builds into triple digits.
The C63 would do better, except it's not allowed to open the throttle more than 60% stock. The torque response is therefore weird.
In a perfect day the C63 will get to 60 faster. In a bad day, the GLA can match or beat it if it's even damp on the road.
The GLA45 can spin all 4 on a launch.

The shifting on manual in the GLA is a joy for me. So much better. The effect is so mechanically engaging, it rivals a manual.

I think there is something funky going on with the boost control of the GLA. I think it whitholds full boost in lower gears. Had this In the Subaru too and went into the tune there and removed it.

The handling is incredibly good in the GLA. I'm saying to myself that if I had bought a GLA with the optional adaptable suspension, I would probably have had a different stability tune from the factory, that kicks in when you switch it into the additional race mode that car has and that would be worth every penny.
I say this because I'm reading that the handling of the GLA is next generation, where the front brakes are individually tapped by the ECU to aid turn in. More of this would be even better. Maybe the GLA with race mode gets more of this trick.
Subaru should try to steal this tune.
What an awesome turn in it has.
With this said, the C63 at high speed in sweepers is the classic sensation of a sport car and if you have the coglioni to stay in it, is awesome. There's nothing not to like about the handling of the C63, except maybe the turn in.
With the toe in, the way it is, there's no mistery there. Maybe with the 2015 they started the tapping of the front brake trick, I would hope. They probably did not. Because that back is waiting for any excess steering Input mistake...

Last edited by Vladds; 04-22-2021 at 09:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MattRG (05-07-2021)