GLB Class (X247) Produced 2020 to Present

Message to not shift gears

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 09:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLB35 AMG 2021
Message to not shift gears

My GLB35 2021 stopped in the driveway after pulling out of the garage. On the screen was posted a message that service was required, “do not shift gears,” and go to dealership. It had just died in the driveway, wouldn’t restart for a few minutes. The following day, Dealership could find no issues. Any ideas as to the issue? Another forum suggested battery problems but my car is only 5 months old!
also, is there a screen I can view that shows battery status? Seems every other piece of info is available!
Old 01-22-2022, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLB 35
Originally Posted by Lindagail
My GLB35 2021 stopped in the driveway after pulling out of the garage. On the screen was posted a message that service was required, “do not shift gears,” and go to dealership. It had just died in the driveway, wouldn’t restart for a few minutes. The following day, Dealership could find no issues. Any ideas as to the issue? Another forum suggested battery problems but my car is only 5 months old!
also, is there a screen I can view that shows battery status? Seems every other piece of info is available!
I experienced something like that too. My 2 months old glb 35 got a message showing "suspension malfunction", do not exceed 80 and go to dealership. I turned off the car and turned back, then the message gone. I got to dealership next day and they couldnt find any historical message or warning at all. So I continue to drive it until now around 1 month later and everything's still fine.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:38 AM

GLB35 AMG 2021
Originally Posted by Tommyngo
I experienced something like that too. My 2 months old glb 35 got a message showing "suspension malfunction", do not exceed 80 and go to dealership. I turned off the car and turned back, then the message gone. I got to dealership next day and they couldnt find any historical message or warning at all. So I continue to drive it until now around 1 month later and everything's still fine.
I am now about 2 weeks out, was most disappointed that the service Dept could not find any indication of that message in whatever system they use to diagnose. Error codes apparently don't exist afterwards? He told me to take a pic of the screen when it occurs again. Wish I had thought of that before.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:38 PM

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
My GLB 35 had the same error after 7 days of purchase in July 2021. I don't remember if the car was shut down or not, but I drove it afterwards. I called the MB concierge service thru the car and the operator said don't drive, we will tow your car. I asked which service center and also if they will give me a loaner. She said it will be closest dealer and loaner car depends on the dealership as they are independent shops. So I kept driving to the dealership close to my home which was closing at that time. They told me to come next morning. Next day, the service lady told me to go the dealer that I bought the car from and they have so many cars waiting to be repaired and will take them to repair them 2 weeks or so... They didn't even check the car. I had a GLK for 5 years before GLB and I was there several times, before so it was not nice...

During the same day, I drove to the dealer next to my work and they checked the car. They told me they saw the error which was recorded in the system and I have to leave the car couple days to check it, but no loaners... He said GLB has electronic transmission unlike previous GLK that has mechanical transmission...

Afterwards, I got an appointment from the dealer that I got the car from. I went there after a week and left the car for 2 days as they needed the fix the screwdriver paint damage that was done during license plate holder installation. They checked the car. I don't know if they did anything, but they said there is no problem... It has been 6 months since the error message and the car has been running with no problems... Hopefully it will not happen again.

My previous 2013 MB GLK 350 had not any problems other than regular maintenance and flat tire/brake/battery replacement when I had it for 5 years (3-8 years)... GLK battery lasted 7 years, aux battery 8 years... Belts/plugs were replaced after 7 years under regular maintenance... My indie mechanic told me that the new MB cars doesn't have the same reliability as older cars... MB customer service was telling me that they have lot of calls of MB problems... Of course GLK was in later production years vs GLB 35 is in early production...

So far GLB 35 had split back wheel trim due to glue (on my first day drive to NYC) which was fixed last month after a call for MB customer service after 4 months of waiting for part... Also 3 of my wheel hub caps got lost. I saw a recall for similar hub caps but the item number was different. The summer tires with GLB 35 sporty suspension didn't help. It is much better with winter tires... I was testing winter tires last month and I heard a high pitch noise wind noise on the right side around 85-90mph... It is hard to replicate due to speed limits, but it was recorded in other GLB forums in Germany and as below as front windshield / side mirror issue. GLB is manufactured in Mexico for western market and China for eastern market. Also I saw in the GLE forum that GLE has the same whistling noise with the side mirrors..

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/gl...issue.3071576/
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ing-sound.html

Also I can post the photo of the transmission error if you need it... It is in my phone.

Originally Posted by Lindagail
The following 2 users liked this post by Serhan:
Alan Chicago (06-05-2022), Lindagail (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 04:01 PM

GLB35 AMG 2021
Thanks. My first MB, am accustomed to Toyotas and Volvos. I’m hoping things don’t continue to bumfuzzle the mechanics.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Chicago (06-05-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 05:24 PM

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLB250 4Matic
Unfortunately, most car manufacturers have multiple issues with first model year, and 2021 GLB35 is the first model year. My 2017 Honda CRV (first model year) had several issues ranging from fuel injectors, engine oil delusion issue, rear automatic trunk not opening, to gear shifter push *** breaking away. Luckily I have extended warranty on it, however unlike MB Honda does not give you a loaner.

Last edited by Vladimir Livson; 01-22-2022 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:19 PM

Did you have the "do not shift gears visit dealer" message again? Mine showed up 2nd time after 10 months yesterday. The message showed up when I started the car with parking brake on at the end of the work day similar to last time (72F vs 100F last summer). The car restarted with no problems and I am driving it again with no transmission problems... I set up a check up with the dealer to see if they can find anything this time... So far searching forums, I found these:

- Aux battery or main battery (most probably not for a new car)
- Faulty brake light switch - https://www.mercedescla.org/threads/...-dealer.38734/
- Voltage regulator at the back of alternator (voltage fluctuation during driving)
- ESM (Electronic Shift Module) - https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...es-inside.html
- Intelligent Servo Module (A80) or ISM - https://www.youcanic.com/wiki/drive-...-mercedes-benz
Old 06-05-2022, 07:00 AM

GLB35 AMG 2021
No, I haven’t had that message again. I do have the issue with Parking brake locking up after I wash the car. Makes a horrific noise when it pops loose.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 GLB AMG 35
I also heard the loud high pitch wind noise on the right side around the 80-90mph speed this last winter with winter tires. I didn't know this was a "thing" with the GLB.
Along with the parking break issue and squeaky AMG brakes...
Old 06-05-2022, 01:17 PM

I have the parking break lock up after wash also... I am guessing the don't shift message is related to that also, since it comes at the start of the car.

GLB managed to get the whistling sound as low as at 78 mph when northern winter winds showed up... GLE forum was saying a carbon fiber mirror covers stop that. I have not tried it, since the colors will not match to the blue color of GLB, but it might be worth to try if the mirror is the issue...

For squeaky breaks, there is a solution as below... However squeaks comes back after a while. I wonder perforated brakes are the cause compared to non perforated brakes that GLK 350 has....

https://www.autozone.com/diy/brakes/bedding-brakes

HOW TO BED BRAKES

1 PICK YOUR SPOT - Find an open stretch of road that will allow you to safely stop your vehicle multiple times.

2 SPEED UP, THEN SLOW DOWN - Accelerate to 35 MPH and apply moderate brake pressure to reduce your speed to under 5 MPH.

3 REPEAT AS NECESSARY - Repeat this process 2-3 times, accelerating back to 35 MPH and moderately braking.

4 TEST AGAIN AT 55 MPH - Next, increase speed to 50 MPH and strongly brake down to 5 MPH. You don't want to brake strong enough to activate your ABS or lock up the tires. You should be able to come down to 5 MPH within a few seconds.

5 REPEAT AS NECESSARY - Repeat this process 4-5 times, then drive an additional 1-2 miles while very lightly braking to cool down the brakes.

6 PRO TIP: It's important to avoid coming to a complete stop during the hard-braking stage as it's possible to melt brake pads against hot rotors. Of course, should a deer, pedestrian, or Sasquatch run onto the road, feel free to mash the brake pedal. Safety first!
Alan Chicago (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 07:13 AM

GLB35 AMG 2021
Sasquatch, eh? Not many of them in Alabama and many folks drive like that around here anyway….go, then stop, go then stop.
Alan Chicago (06-06-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 09:53 AM

MB service told me that there is a software update that they uploaded to fix the "do not change gear" message and will not be showing in the future... He said this is a common error on GLB's,,, It looks like the error is related to the parking position:

I have a 2022 GLC300 loaner this time and the car feels like floating with 235/60R18 wheels and suspension compared to GLB35... However when it hits to some bumps/manholes/concrete pavement, the steering wheel starts to vibrate significantly.... The service said it is a common issue on 2022 GLC's. I am surprised this is happening on a car at the end of model cycle on 6th year production... GLC brakes are similar to GLK ones. I prefer the GLB35 squeaky brakes to stop quicker

Last edited by Serhan; 06-16-2022 at 03:55 PM.