Newest member not happy with Mercedes as a company

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 07:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLB 250
Talking Newest member not happy with Mercedes as a company

Hi,
We just picked up a used/loaner 2022 GLB 250 (7 seater) 7k miles with AMG and night package.
I have to say I am really unhappy with Mercedes as a company as they have taken everything out of the car and basically want to charge you for even the most basic of things, i.e.
1. No Jack if you have run flats. Yes they provide roadside assistance,but what if I am in remote or "no cell coverage area" to call for assistance. How long do I wait? what if I'm on a road trip with family and the tire is damaged beyond repair so they will tow me to nearest $tealer which may or may not have a loaner for me.
2. No hazards triangle. Just a simple item, if you created a space and clips for it then PLEASE give it away too. We will definitely thank you in time of need.
3. No Parking Sensors. This is just as basic as bluetooth these days and as a somewhat luxury brand one would expect it come standard and not cost $1200
4. NO Noise damper or Insulation under the hood. - this one burnes me a bit (pun intended). The engine noise is similar to if not more than what my 1988 300SD. They sure don't make it like they used to.

Please don't try to justify with "Low Price Point" as this is just a vent from an old guy who assUmed too much! wify wanted a not so big Merc so that's what she got. :-)
Old 03-20-2023, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 449 Likes on 367 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
1. Most members are not thrilled with the MOE tires. And there’s no place to even put a spare in the 7 seater. However, other manufacturers were doing it as early as 2010.
2. My 2021 came with hazard triangles and a safety vest. I supposed that was taken out in 2022.
3. I’ve never had a car with oarking sensors, so I don’t miss them.
4. Agree with the hood damper. You can buy the one for the GLB35 and it’s not very expensive.
5. You didn’t mention no first aid kit.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,628 Likes on 2,234 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Yeehawbob
Hi,
We just picked up a used/loaner 2022 GLB 250 (7 seater) 7k miles with AMG and night package.
I have to say I am really unhappy with Mercedes as a company as they have taken everything out of the car and basically want to charge you for even the most basic of things, i.e.
1. No Jack if you have run flats. Yes they provide roadside assistance,but what if I am in remote or "no cell coverage area" to call for assistance. How long do I wait? what if I'm on a road trip with family and the tire is damaged beyond repair so they will tow me to nearest $tealer which may or may not have a loaner for me.
2. No hazards triangle. Just a simple item, if you created a space and clips for it then PLEASE give it away too. We will definitely thank you in time of need.
3. No Parking Sensors. This is just as basic as bluetooth these days and as a somewhat luxury brand one would expect it come standard and not cost $1200
4. NO Noise damper or Insulation under the hood. - this one burnes me a bit (pun intended). The engine noise is similar to if not more than what my 1988 300SD. They sure don't make it like they used to.

Please don't try to justify with "Low Price Point" as this is just a vent from an old guy who assUmed too much! wify wanted a not so big Merc so that's what she got. :-)
1. Yup run-flats aren't good in my opinion, Reason they include it is so they can save weight, run-flats don't last as long as traditional tires, they are noisy, makes the ride less comfortable as well and when you do Replace it, it costs more than traditional tires, and then the cycle Repeats again. Some model MBs have a slime kit (I think they call it the TireFit?) and equip with traditional tires I think it was an option for some markets. Run-flats they expect you to just drive to the tire shop.
2. I thought that triangle was mandatory in Europe?
3. Yup not defending MB but Germans all do that, you need to pay extra for parking sensors.
4. Ah didn't expect to read this one

Edit: I prefer small vehicles too and wish they make small vehicles with luxuries of the higher tier. ie. A-Class size with C-Class amenities or even E-Class, sure charge more that is fine but some people prefer a smaller vehicle (well the minority though) I am part of the minority though, I also don't understand the obsession of big phones, imagine you have the cameras and hardware of their most expensive biggest offering in a compact form factor (well, that is a debate for another time).

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 03-21-2023 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:42 AM

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
GLK350
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
1. Yup run-flats aren't good in my opinion, Reason they include it is so they can save weight, run-flats don't last as long as traditional tires, they are noisy, makes the ride less comfortable as well and when you do Replace it, it costs more than traditional tires, and then the cycle Repeats again. Some model MBs have a slime kit (I think they call it the TireFit?) and equip with traditional tires I think it was an option for some markets. Run-flats they expect you to just drive to the tire shop.
2. I thought that triangle was mandatory in Europe?
3. Yup not defending MB but Germans all do that, you need to pay extra for parking sensors.
4. Ah didn't expect to read this one

Edit: I prefer small vehicles too and wish they make small vehicles with luxuries of the higher tier. ie. A-Class size with C-Class amenities or even E-Class, sure charge more that is fine but some people prefer a smaller vehicle (well the minority though) I am part of the minority though, I also don't understand the obsession of big phones, imagine you have the cameras and hardware of their most expensive biggest offering in a compact form factor (well, that is a debate for another time).
I have Conti. RFT 19" and they are very quiet. The ride is no harsher than my 2014 GLK350 with 20" tires. I like the design because that are much better to not rupture a side wall when hitting a pot hole (I live in pot hole city). MY GLK has blown out the side wall twice. I also just compared the Cont. RFT vs non RFT and the cost difference was only $10.00. That being said I would guess that the ride would be softer with non RFT. I will have to wait to see how they wear as my GLB is a 2023..
Old 03-21-2023, 11:59 AM

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLB250 4Matic
Originally Posted by tbirdvet
I have Conti. RFT 19" and they are very quiet. The ride is no harsher than my 2014 GLK350 with 20" tires. I like the design because that are much better to not rupture a side wall when hitting a pot hole (I live in pot hole city). MY GLK has blown out the side wall twice. I also just compared the Cont. RFT vs non RFT and the cost difference was only $10.00. That being said I would guess that the ride would be softer with non RFT. I will have to wait to see how they wear as my GLB is a 2023..
My issue with RFT is if you drive with a puncture, which you meant to do by design, you cannot fix the tire. And most likely you will have to replace both tires on the same axle, as the new tire will not have same wear as the old, which could cause other problems. Therefore a $20 flat tire fix becomes a $500 tire change.
The following users liked this post:
Odd Piggy (03-22-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 12:07 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by Vladimir Livson
My issue with RFT is if you drive with a puncture, which you meant to do by design, you cannot fix the tire. And most likely you will have to replace both tires on the same axle, as the new tire will not have same wear as the old, which could cause other problems. Therefore a $20 flat tire fix becomes a $500 tire change.
Not entireley true. If you get a puncture and see the low tire pressure warning then stop and use the portable pump t(which you should carry with the vehicle) inflate then continue to repair location it can be plugged. The issue with RFT is if you loose air and then just keep driving you will damage the sidewall and then a new tire is required. When I had a side wall blow out (non RFT) not only did I have the change that tire but the other three as they had too much wear to just install one new tire.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:17 PM

Not entireley true. If you get a puncture and see the low tire pressure warning then stop and use the portable pump t(which you should carry with the vehicle) inflate then continue to repair location it can be plugged. The issue with RFT is if you loose air and then just keep driving you will damage the sidewall and then a new tire is required. When I had a side wall blow out (non RFT) not only did I have the change that tire but the other three as they had too much wear to just install one new tire.
I agree that if you stop right away, plug and re-inflate tire you should be Ok (and I do carry portable air compressor and plug kit in the trunk), however that is not what RTF are designed for, thus no flat repair kit included with the car. They meant to be driven to the tire shop to be replaced.

Trending Topics

Old 03-21-2023, 01:04 PM

GLK350
I know what the design engineer believes but most of the time if you pick up a nail (as an example) you should not remove the nail. Just inflate back up, no need to plug. It will be a slow leak. Everyone should keep a pump and a can of slime in the vehicle with RFT or not.
MBenzdriver (01-13-2024)
Old 03-21-2023, 04:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,969 Likes on 3,120 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Hi,

Welcome to the MB “experience”.

1. normal across brands
2. normal across German brands
3. GLB is an economy car, MB cheaped out on the GLB in many ways. They probably blame it on “the chip shortage”.
4. See economy car comment above.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLB 250
Originally Posted by chassis
Welcome to the MB “experience”.

1. normal across brands
2. normal across German brands
3. GLB is an economy car, MB cheaped out on the GLB in many ways. They probably blame it on “the chip shortage”.
4. See economy car comment above.
1. Not really, my Honda and Lexus both have everything needed for tire fix. My BMW 5 series 2019 (may she rest in peace) had everything. A Jack, in my opinion is a must have RFT or not.
2. Hazard Triangle comment only because they have clips for it on the cover.
3. Even on economy car they can provide some items as standard and increase the price by that much. IF Merc is really trying to enter the "economy market" by being Cheap themselves then people are going to call it the "Cheap Brand".
Old 03-21-2023, 07:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,628 Likes on 2,234 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
FWIW, I never had side wall bubble and tire blowouts on traditional tires, I had run-flats and that is exactly what happened to me. The stiffer sidewalls of the run-flats is more prone to damage due to the weight in my experience. I am happy and glad that your experience was better.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I replaced 2 Conti MOE tires because of repeated nail damage to one. I replace both on the same axle if past 50% wear. The other 2 are fine and have over 40,000 miles on them. I’m okay with the tread life. But if you don’t repair them yourself, tire shops and the dealer will refuse because that’s what Continental recommends. If I had a 5 passenger version, I would just buy the Modern Spare aftermarket kit an store it in the back.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:21 AM

1. Not really, my Honda and Lexus both have everything needed for tire fix. My BMW 5 series 2019 (may she rest in peace) had everything. A Jack, in my opinion is a must have RFT or not.
2. Hazard Triangle comment only because they have clips for it on the cover.
3. Even on economy car they can provide some items as standard and increase the price by that much. IF Merc is really trying to enter the "economy market" by being Cheap themselves then people are going to call it the "Cheap Brand".
I am sure that price point of GLB has a lot to do with missing "what should be standard" equipment, at least in pre Covid market. If MB can save $100 from every entry car they sell (I think they sell about 30K of "A" and "B" class a year in US) that comes to $3M of profit. Pre Covid with typical MB discounts of 8%-12% off MSRP, GLB was the same price as loaded Toyota Rav4 or Honda CR-V. That was definitely one of the deciding factors for me. Current market is totally different, however that could change again. Local dealer has a lot more cars on the lot.
Old 01-01-2024, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glb250
Originally Posted by Odd Piggy
1. Most members are not thrilled with the MOE tires. And there’s no place to even put a spare in the 7 seater. However, other manufacturers were doing it as early as 2010.
2. My 2021 came with hazard triangles and a safety vest. I supposed that was taken out in 2022.
4. Agree with the hood damper. You can buy the one for the GLB35 and it’s not very expensive.
This did happen to me recently.
No safety vest, no jack, no repair kit, no first-aid kit, no triangle.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 GLB250

Can you provide the link for the hood damper? My engine sounds like a friggin Mack truck.. loud AF! 🤬
Old 01-13-2024, 11:36 PM

2023 GLB250
Originally Posted by Vladimir Livson
I know for a fact based on what my dealer told me you must replace the tire if you get a flat which really sucks b/c its expensive. However I'm not sure if you must replace the second tire on the same axle

Last edited by MBenzdriver; 01-13-2024 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-13-2024, 11:40 PM

2023 GLB250
I replaced 2 Conti MOE tires because of repeated nail damage to one. I replace both on the same axle if past 50% wear. The other 2 are fine and have over 40,000 miles on them. I’m okay with the tread life. But if you don’t repair them yourself, tire shops and the dealer will refuse because that’s what Continental recommends. If I had a 5 passenger version, I would just buy the Modern Spare aftermarket kit an store it in the back.
Can you please provide link to purchase Modern Spare aftermarket kit ​​​​​​?
Old 01-14-2024, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

https://modernspare.com/product/2019...e-kit-options/
MBenzdriver (01-14-2024)