GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Economy/Comfort/Sport/Sport+ Differences

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes SLK350
Economy/Comfort/Sport/Sport+ Differences

Has anyone noticed big differences between the settings? I'm following the break-in period rules, so I've been in Economy all the time. I'm curious to know how the settings affect the auto start-stop. MB's website said that it can cause it to vary. I'd love it if it didn't turn off every time I come to a stop sign.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
There is no reason you need to use Eco.......EVER. I don't. I won't.

You can create an Individual Agility setting (I* in the Agility Settings) that sets things the way you want.

My personal setting since I got my Car (will hit 1K miles either today or tomorrow) is:

Comfort Engine
Sport Steering

Eco Off

I've used Sport as well, but since I mainly drive in a city setting, Comfort is nicer for me. I haven't yet used Sport +. I'm not sure I'll find a useful reason to drive in Sport + mode.

This link may offer additional help: http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/...ct/detail.html

Last edited by rbrylaw; 01-18-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
e350
Originally Posted by adman0468
Has anyone noticed big differences between the settings? I'm following the break-in period rules, so I've been in Economy all the time. I'm curious to know how the settings affect the auto start-stop. MB's website said that it can cause it to vary. I'd love it if it didn't turn off every time I come to a stop sign.

I couldn't wait and started hammering it at 400 miles If you have air suspension you will notice a big difference between the settings. Find a long winding road, turn off the stereo, put it in sport+, hit the "M" button for manual/paddle shifter mode, keep the revs north of 5,000 (peak hp is at 5550 - let it breath!), and it's surprisingly pretty cool. It paddle shifts fast and will rev match down shifts even at 5000-6000 rpm.

Then put it back into Comfort mode and take the kids to soccer practice.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:44 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 350D GLC 250D, Previous vehicles W204, W164, W163, W210 & W202
There is a big difference in the settings where sports and sports + tend to hold a lower gear for longer which is great on a windy country road. In the city I drive in comfort mode as the diesel has so much torque it is easy to drive at relatively low revs.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Understand - the profiles affect engine/management/throtte-reaction + transmission profile + steering ratio. Those with air suspension also changes suspension profile.

The best initial introduction - I would suggest you pick a large empty parking lot - and relative low speed do a course with sweeping s-curves in one setting - then double back using another setting, double back - etc going thru each "profile" to become more accustomed to the difference in "feel" in each.

Keep the beat !
Old 12-31-2016, 07:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C300 (2016), Mercedes-Benz GLC300 (2017)
I am bringing up an older thread rather than starting a new one...

Has anyone experimented and found gas mileage improvement using the various modes, specifically Comfort vs. Economy?

I rarely stray from Comfort mode, and when I do it is to go to Sport mode. But my wife often switches to Economy when on longer highway drives. It has become almost a game to her to see how well she can do with maximizing MPG. We have both a GLC300 and C300, and she often compares the results of the 2 as well (she drives a lot for work, so it keeps her interested on long drives). Anyhow...

Last week we were on a ~700 mile round trip with about 90% highway driving. On the way, I had the GLC in Comfort mode the entire way, and on the way home had it in Economy nearly the entire way. I don't recall exact MPG figures, but suffice it to say they were very close.

Should Economy provide better mileage? Or would the benefits be mainly in local/city driving?
Old 12-31-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
I'm the same as you. When I went to a meet in the UK for the AMG Private Lounge I used Comfort getting there and Economy going back. Can't say I noticed any difference, if anything the Comfort mode was marginally better but that could be due to having slightly more downhill stretches.

Sport+ is NOT economical at all, but get off the motorway and have some nice corners and open roads and it is the most fun I've ever had in an SUV. And the sound is just amazing.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:35 AM

Thanks for confirming. And yes, going up/downhill does make a significant difference. To fairly compare you'd need to have similar circumstances (full tank of gas, same route, same load in car, etc.).

That being said, I would have thought that Economy would have delivered a more notable difference. It is clearly a lesser option when it comes to performance.

I will let my wife play her fun little game...I'll keep using Comfort and Sport.
The following users liked this post:
RedwinGV (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 01:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
Don't forget wind effects. I can a 2-3 mpg difference on round trip trips due to the wind direction.

And FWIW, I wouldn't think there would be much difference with any selection for highway driving portions since I don't think there is much shifting going on. I thought the settings mostly adjust shift points. They may adjust other things, but that would be related to handling and the like and that wouldn't impact mpg numbers much, if at all.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:57 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by RedwinGV
Don't forget wind effects. I can a 2-3 mpg difference on round trip trips due to the wind direction.

And FWIW, I wouldn't think there would be much difference with any selection for highway driving portions since I don't think there is much shifting going on. I thought the settings mostly adjust shift points. They may adjust other things, but that would be related to handling and the like and that wouldn't impact mpg numbers much, if at all.
Except for Sport+ that really doesn't settle at low engine speeds in the 9th gear. That definitely uses a lot more fuel.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:32 AM

I'd have to pay more attention at highway speeds, but Economy did seem to run at a bit higher RPM level when at about 70mph. I would have expected the opposite.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
Originally Posted by jdag
I'd have to pay more attention at highway speeds, but Economy did seem to run at a bit higher RPM level when at about 70mph. I would have expected the opposite.
Hmm, I need to check that out on my next trip. I thought speeds 7-9 were overdrive so I wonder how much of a difference MPG is between each... I doubt I'll ever know though.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:08 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
FWIW my experience based on several long trips (now have 9K mi on odometer) is that the cruising "sweet spot" for fuel economy is 72-74 mph. Above that fuel economy takes a nose dive. Also, after a gradual improvement in fuel economy from day 1 on, things have leveled out now.