GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Hi from Land Down Under - Australia

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Found this from a fellow Ozzie and MB Oz reply to him re crabbing of this GLC tyres...

Not the best way to win friends and keep customers happy, a very bad "characteristic" you could say !!!
Old 08-15-2017, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Re Extended Warranty concerns:
Decision made.
Purchased a 5 star, Plan A , 5 year, 200,000km extended warranty via a Broker, from ERIC insurance. Happy with final pricing and PdS. Time will tell, but this gives me 8 years of 'warranty' for the GLC's we have. Pricing much more competitive than MB Dealer network and fine print seems to offer better options, for me at least. If ERIC was not in the game, then I probably would have gone with MB dealer option of Allianz, as opposed several other players who do not get a good rap from ACCC.
The following users liked this post:
aks_19_ak (12-05-2022)
Old 08-23-2017, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One issue solved with extended warranty, now investigating a Service Plan that MB sell in Oz. May be excluded for one car as we have just had first scheduled service !!!
Other car should qualify, as no service due yet (nothing in fine print on web site), options are 3,4 and 5 year period up to max 125,000km. Silver and Plat levels, with wheel align an optional extra.
Issue further complicated with first 3 years having capped price servicing, so need to do the $$$, once policy costs advised by Dealer, as no costings on web site ? not sure why.
Anyone taken Service Plan out in Oz on their MB veh ? If so what did you select and cost please.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes GLC F-Cell EQ Power fuel cell-powered SUV to debut in Frankfurt
By :Viknesh Vijayenthiran
Aug 28, 2017
Mercedes-Benz GLC F-Cell EQ Power prototype

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...t-in-frankfurt

Mercedes-Benz will unveil a production-ready hydrogen fuel cell car at next month’s 2017 Frankfurt auto show.

The car will be an evolution of the GLC F-Cell prototype unveiled in 2016. For production, the car dons the new EQ Power label Mercedes is using for vehicles fitted with alternative powertrains.

The GLC F-Cell EQ Power is different to most fuel cell vehicles in that it is a plug-in hybrid, a hydrogen-electric plug-in hybrid. Thanks to a sizable battery, drivers will be able to charge the car at public charging stations instead of solely relying on almost non-existent hydrogen stations when the tanks are empty.

Mercedes hasn’t released any specs for the GLC F-Cell EQ Power but the prototype featured a 9.0-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery good for 30 miles of range. With the battery fully charged and the hydrogen tanks filled, the prototype was good for 300 miles of range.

Mercedes-Benz GLC F-Cell EQ Power prototypeMercedes-Benz GLC F-Cell EQ Power prototype
Automakers are faced with a number of options when it comes to alternative powertrains. Right now gasoline-electric plug-in hybrids and battery-powered electrics are gaining traction, but automakers are still hedging their bets with fuel cells.

Mercedes at one point was prepared to launch a fuel cell car on the market as early as 2014, following positive results from a trial fleet of fuel cell-equipped B-Class minivans launched in 2009. The automaker eventually axed those plans because the low expected volume would make the cars too expensive.

Mercedes will have a very busy stand at the upcoming Frankfurt show. The main highlight will be the code-named Project One hypercar from Mercedes-AMG. Also present will be a compact electric car concept from the new EQ sub-brand, a self-driving concept from Smart, updated versions of the S-Class Coupe and Cabriolet, and the X-Class pickup truck.

The action all unfolds September 12.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
Anyone able to get the 'Residual Heat' function to work out of the climate control? I wondered if the Australian models had it? Ive followed the operating instructions, but cant get it to work.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by tiger_x
Anyone able to get the 'Residual Heat' function to work out of the climate control? I wondered if the Australian models had it? Ive followed the operating instructions, but cant get it to work.
Didn't know this feature was on any GLC.
Mine doesn't have it though in my previous car I found it brilliant.
tiger_x (08-30-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This id from Canadian site
" The "residual heat" function is only available in Canada.

It is possible to make use of the residual heat of the engine to continue heating the stationary vehicle for up to 30 minutes after the engine has been switched off. The heating time depends on the coolant temperature and on the interior temperature that has been set.

The blower will run at a low speed regardless of the airflow setting.

If you activate the residual heat function at high temperatures, only the ventilation will be activated.

► Turn the SmartKey to position 0 in the ignition lock or remove it.

► To activate: press the button.

The indicator lamp in the lights button
lights up.

► To deactivate: press the button.

The indicator lamp in the goes button
goes out.

Residual heat is deactivated automatically:
• after approximately 30 minutes • when the ignition is switched on • if the battery voltage drops • if the coolant temperature is too low "
http://www.mersuv.com/mbread-658.html

Also from MB UK site....
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/elect...53-c-w205.html
Mercedes used to always have a residual heat function where the coolant could keep being pumped through the heater matrix when the car was off.
This meant you could run the heating in the car for a long time with the engine off, great when waiting for someone (like the kids).
They they then seemed to only include the function if you had the advanced air-conditioning system.

BUT, sadly you can't order that on the new GLC in the UK, (and I assume the C class).

Luckily, I worked out it can be retrofitted relatively easily to even those with basic air-conditioning - if the car is new enough and is diesel as them some of the parts are there. (If its not diesel, it can still be done, but a significant job)

So, now I have residual heat function, and 'REST' written on one of the buttons on my air-con switches.

I'm quite pleased with that as I hate leaving engines running polluting the area where I'm waiting for the kids !!!!

I will have to check out our cars, option sounds good, but MB Germany probably deleted this for Oz.
tiger_x (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by Teckno
This id from Canadian site
" The "residual heat" function is only available in Canada.

It is possible to make use of the residual heat of the engine to continue heating the stationary vehicle for up to 30 minutes after the engine has been switched off. The heating time depends on the coolant temperature and on the interior temperature that has been set.

The blower will run at a low speed regardless of the airflow setting.

If you activate the residual heat function at high temperatures, only the ventilation will be activated.

► Turn the SmartKey to position 0 in the ignition lock or remove it.

► To activate: press the button.

The indicator lamp in the lights button
lights up.

► To deactivate: press the button.

The indicator lamp in the goes button
goes out.

Residual heat is deactivated automatically:
• after approximately 30 minutes • when the ignition is switched on • if the battery voltage drops • if the coolant temperature is too low "
http://www.mersuv.com/mbread-658.html

Also from MB UK site....
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/elect...53-c-w205.html
Mercedes used to always have a residual heat function where the coolant could keep being pumped through the heater matrix when the car was off.
This meant you could run the heating in the car for a long time with the engine off, great when waiting for someone (like the kids).
They they then seemed to only include the function if you had the advanced air-conditioning system.

BUT, sadly you can't order that on the new GLC in the UK, (and I assume the C class).

Luckily, I worked out it can be retrofitted relatively easily to even those with basic air-conditioning - if the car is new enough and is diesel as them some of the parts are there. (If its not diesel, it can still be done, but a significant job)

So, now I have residual heat function, and 'REST' written on one of the buttons on my air-con switches.

I'm quite pleased with that as I hate leaving engines running polluting the area where I'm waiting for the kids !!!!

I will have to check out our cars, option sounds good, but MB Germany probably deleted this for Oz.
I really miss this function that I had in my previous car.
Brilliant when leaving the car parked on a cold day to go to shops etc. Lovely to return 30 or 40 mins later to a warm car. Completely safe and no cost!
Old 09-07-2017, 07:30 AM

GLC43
Hi all,

Ive just had paint protection applied to my 43. The car looks amazing, even better than when i picked it up from the dealership. If anyone in Perth is looking to get paint protection, I can highly recommend AutoFx in Canningvale. Des has done an awesome job on the paint.

Very happy chappy here..
Teckno (09-09-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 06:40 AM

GLC43
After a bit of advice from any Western Australian folk on here.. Im replacing my standard W.A plates with the 'Custom Acrylic 9 character' plates available here in WA. They come in a couple of different sizes - slim ( 372 x 100 ) and standard 372 x 134 ). The slim will fit perfectly at the front of the car, but im not sure if i should go slim at the back or standard. Im worried that the slim might not cover the existing screw holes for the back plate..

What did other do?

Cheers!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re new Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season ROF, MO tyres for 20" rims.
Link to USA site with tyre info..
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...all-season-rof
Product code for Oz dealer to search should be 109 101 395.
$299 USA with extra discounts, also 80,000km tyre warranty.
Goodyear Dunlop Tyres HQ in Oz is in Richmond, Vic, 03 8416 7200.
Customer service and warehouse in Truganina, Vic, (largest tyre dist centre in Oz). No phone no for that loc as yet.
Scott Bennett is Dir Retail Ops, and Tina Hu, Dir Supply Chain for Goodyear Oz.
Retail outlets include Dunlop Super Dealers, Goodyear Auto care and Beaurepaires outlets, all part of HQ organisation. prices may vary ?
I have not checked product code for UK/Europe, it should be the same.
Hope this helps those of you who cannot source these tyres. Going to the source oftern helps.
Cheers.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real MPG results :
See Honest John web site in UK. Interesting variations re quoted economy and real life data from drivers.
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg...glc-coupe-2016

Select engine for more Real MPG information: COUPE Data..............

Engine Official MPG Real MPG Avg. Real MPG %

GLC 220 d Automatic 52.3–56.5 mpg - -
GLC 250 d Automatic 52.3–56.5 mpg 42.2 mpg 77% (est L/100km =6.694)
GLC 350 d Automatic 45.6–47.1 mpg - -
GLC 350d Automatic 45.6–47.1 mpg - -
GLC 43 AMG 33.6 mpg - -
=====================================
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg...glc-class-2015

Select engine for more Real MPG information: WAGON Data .......

GLC 220 d Automatic 56.5 mpg 46.0 mpg 81%
GLC 250 d Automatic 56.5 mpg 41.8 mpg 74%
GLC 350 d Automatic 47.9 mpg - -
GLC 350d Automatic 47.9 mpg 36.1 mpg 75%
GLC 43 AMG 34.0 mpg 24.5 mpg 72% (est L/100km =11.530)

These figures are in UK MPG.
Conversion site:
http://www.mpgtokpl.com/mpgtolper100km.htm

Interesting no data provided for petrol models, except for GLC 43 AMG model.

Last edited by Teckno; 09-24-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Coupe
Old 09-22-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
W205 C300 (MY), X253 GLC43 (AU), W213 E400 4M (AU), S213 E220d All-Terrain (AU)
Real MPG results :
See Honest John web site in UK. Interesting variations re quoted economy and real life data from drivers.
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg...glc-coupe-2016

Select engine for more Real MPG information:

GLC 220 d Automatic 52.3–56.5 mpg - -
GLC 250 d Automatic 52.3–56.5 mpg 42.2 mpg 77% (est L/100km =6.694)
GLC 350 d Automatic 45.6–47.1 mpg - -
GLC 350d Automatic 45.6–47.1 mpg - -
GLC 43 AMG 33.6 mpg - -
=====================================
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg...glc-class-2015

Select engine for more Real MPG information:

GLC 220 d Automatic 56.5 mpg 46.0 mpg 81%
GLC 250 d Automatic 56.5 mpg 41.8 mpg 74%
GLC 350 d Automatic 47.9 mpg - -
GLC 350d Automatic 47.9 mpg 36.1 mpg 75%
GLC 43 AMG 34.0 mpg 24.5 mpg 72% (est L/100km =11.530)

These figures are in UK MPG.
Conversion site:
http://www.mpgtokpl.com/mpgtolper100km.htm

Interesting no data provided for petrol models, except for GLC 43 AMG model.
I believe the GLC43 is the only petrol model sold in the UK.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Some updates.

Using display screen, monitoring temp, speed. etc of engine in real time. Noted my battery data is constantly around 14.7V, I presume charging. This is after running it over the past few days as well as a 130km return dash up the highway and back.
Be interested to get feedback on other users battery data.

Second item is update re nitrogen I had filled in front left tyre; left the other 3 tyres normal.

Front left has a history of higher PSI and temp oC compared to the other 3. Also fronts tend to run hotter than rears.

Well, since putting in bottled nitrogen from local tyre shop (normally $10 a rim from him – he did it free for feedback) I can report after around 1000 km that PSI seems to have stabilized with other tyres, especially the front left.
Temperature, however is a bit murky, so to speak. It seems to have reduced in comparison to the front right and the two rears, bu 1-2 oC. That said it is difficult to really measure as sometimes its less than the right and different to the rears.
What I find most confusing or interesting is that tyres can have up to 6 or 7 oC difference, yet PSI remains constant. Not sure what the tipping point is for oC to rise before PSI changes is altered.
So the only positive to date with nitrogen in one tyre is that its PSI range has stabalized and stays in line with the other 3, whereas before it did vary.

The issue of temp with each tyre is more difficult to quantify. Rears are nearly always running cooler, even on long straight freeway stretches with cruise control on.
Given 69% of force goes to rears, not sure why; possibly because slight wheel turning on fronts cause additional friction and heat build up , even with cruise.
However the large disparity that was there in the past has been reduced a lot; there still remains a variation of up to 5 oC between the two fronts at times, however there are instances where the rouge left front is showing less temp at times.

So the jury is still out in my case for nitrogen all round, but given the long tread life of the new Goodyears, I am thinking, just maybe, it could be worth it over the next 50,000 km plus ? Tyre shop offers free nitrogen adjustment, top up over life of tyres. So if PSI is more constant and temps are slightly reduced, then maybe, just maybe it could be worth while, again depending on cost ($40 worst case).
Happy to seek comments and observations.
Thanks
Old 10-16-2017, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Both our 250d's have a slight rumble when stationary and starting up from stop/start. I agree it is a little off putting, feels like it has dropped or isolated a cylinder or two. I doubt it, however once we start off it runs very smooth. I do not believe injectors are fouled as I use cleaner such as Nulon. I think it is just a 'characteristic" !

Second item is Nitrogen in new Goodyear All season tyres. Tyres have been behaving very well. Much better than I had hoped for. Economy has not been affected. Trialing front left tyre with nitrogen seems to offer slight improvement in temp range, meaning less range, more stable, compared to remaining 3 tyres.
This may be just my imagination.
Costco were great and refilled all tyres with nitrogen for free, as we are members.
Their 'blurb' on nitrogen states " is non combustible, non corrosive and is safe. It has a larger molecule size than oxygen and helps stabilise tyre inflation pressure (I know nitrogen is basically oxygen).
Oxygen escapes from a tyre three to four times faster than nitrogen. Costco claims it maximises veh handling, fuel efficiency and tyre life.
I am just happy that pressure seems more stable and less need to adjust pressures due to loss of 'air'.
Time will tell, still monitoring 3rd party TPMS data whilst driving, both PSI and temp on all 4 tyres.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:44 AM

GLC43 fuel consumption

To GLC43 owners down under here, what's your average fuel consumption under mixed conditions?

I usually achieve worse than 15 l/100km.

However on highways it's fairly easy to cruise around 9L/100km for me.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:45 AM

Both our 250d's have a slight rumble when stationary and starting up from stop/start. I agree it is a little off putting, feels like it has dropped or isolated a cylinder or two. I doubt it, however once we start off it runs very smooth. I do not believe injectors are fouled as I use cleaner such as Nulon. I think it is just a 'characteristic" !
My GLC43 restarts its engine pretty smoothly (near-instantaneous, completely smooth), but then I suppose because it's:
1. A petrol
2. Has 6 cylinders
Old 10-17-2017, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes UK recalls 400,000 cars over air bags.
http://www.msn.com/en-au/?pc=UE12&ocid=UE12DHP&AR=9
Recall applies to A, B, C, E and CLA, GLA and GLC models built between November 2011 and July 2017

Mercedes has announced it will recall 400,000 models in the UK after it was alerted to incidents of airbags accidentally deploying.

The recall will apply to A-Class, B-Class, C-Class, E-Class and CLA, GLA and GLC models built between November 2011 and July 2017. Mercedes says a clock spring in the steering column could break, causing the airbag to deploy. The recall will allow Mercedes dealers to replace the clock spring.

The fix will take around one hour and will be performed free of charge. Mercedes also points out the recall is unrelated to any Takata airbag recall.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...ignore-recalls

Cars are safe to drive under normal conditions, but owners are warned that if a red airbag warning light appears on the dashboard they should make immediate contact with their dealer or call Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assitance (00800 1777 7777). If the car's wiring isn’t correctly earthed the airbag could accidentally deploy.
Though no instances of the airbags prematurely deploying have been recorded in the UK, Mercedes says there have been 30 cases worldwide. The company has said there have been no fatalities.

Both the Mercedes A-Class and C-Class feature regularly at the top of the UK car sales charts and the large numbers of these models on the roads contribute to the 400k cars involved in the Mercedes recall.

Nothing registered yet on Australian Govt site at this stage.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:29 AM

GLC43
Originally Posted by yjchua
To GLC43 owners down under here, what's your average fuel consumption under mixed conditions?

I usually achieve worse than 15 l/100km.

However on highways it's fairly easy to cruise around 9L/100km for me.
Around town i get between 11-12L/100km. That is mostly city driving and in comfort mode. In sports mode it can get up as high as 15L/100km

Nice wheels you got there Yjchua!.. very nice!.. Let me guess, your other car number plate says 'Kopi C' ? hehe
Old 10-19-2017, 11:05 PM

Around town i get between 11-12L/100km. That is mostly city driving and in comfort mode. In sports mode it can get up as high as 15L/100km

Nice wheels you got there Yjchua!.. very nice!.. Let me guess, your other car number plate says 'Kopi C' ? hehe
HAHA my E400 is currently running on standard-issue Victorian plates, but you just gave me a good idea as to what I should get for its vanity plate!

Main reason I chose Kopi-O is that it immediately hints at my Malaysian roots, plus it's my favourite drink in the morning back at home.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:48 AM

GLC43
Originally Posted by yjchua
HAHA my E400 is currently running on standard-issue Victorian plates, but you just gave me a good idea as to what I should get for its vanity plate!

Main reason I chose Kopi-O is that it immediately hints at my Malaysian roots, plus it's my favourite drink in the morning back at home.
Hahaha,, You know you're gonna have to do that and take a pic of the two in the driveway now! lol...

i thought that might be the case! I knew there was some Malaysian influence
Old 10-20-2017, 05:31 AM

Hahaha,, You know you're gonna have to do that and take a pic of the two in the driveway now! lol...

i thought that might be the case! I knew there was some Malaysian influence
When the rego on my E400 expires and gets replaced with either Kopi-C or Teh-C, it'll be up here

The problem is that Vplates doesn't seem to have any plate styles that allow something as a placeholder for a dash to separate it into Teh-C (with Kopi-O, I stylized the Roadrunner-themed plate as KOPI0, and the numeric was split by the Roadrunner, which was perfect).

I'll have to experiment around with the different styles on Vplates and see which one does the trick.
tiger_x (11-04-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can I add AdBlue myself ?

Do I need to use Dealer AdBlue ?
Interesting article on-line from a motoring reporter.
https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/do-i...lership-adblue

Further investigation also points to not having it too old, it has a shelf life and temp storage limitations.
Ideally once a year drain old and fill with new AdBlue; but given use I doubt if topping up with new liquid will cause any negative issues, Trucks that operate in the West or Northern Oz in extreme temps seem to operate quite well, so in our Southern states, should be ok.
Happy reading
Old 11-04-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Do I need to use Dealer AdBlue ?
Interesting article on-line from a motoring reporter.
https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/do-i...lership-adblue

Further investigation also points to not having it too old, it has a shelf life and temp storage limitations.
Ideally once a year drain old and fill with new AdBlue; but given use I doubt if topping up with new liquid will cause any negative issues, Trucks that operate in the West or Northern Oz in extreme temps seem to operate quite well, so in our Southern states, should be ok.
Happy reading
Good info.

I equate servicing the AdBlue tank the same as servicing the windscreen washer reservoir. A no brainer.

Further, don't believe the, "my brand is better than yours." It's a simple solution of 67.5% deionized water and 32.5% urea. When buying look for the ISO or API logo, thereby ensuring your getting a quality product.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Truth About Modern Diesel Particulate Filter Problems (DPF Problems).

Interesting read re other causes for DPF failure, such as not enough highway running, Air mass error measure, air leaks, etc.
https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-...s-dpf-problems

We have owned a number of diesels now and never had an issue; but I had not realised all the interlinking items that need to be checked before embarking on an expensive replacement.
39,000km on the GLC and so far excellent, with 7.1L/100km around town as an average.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hi from Land Down Under - Australia