GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Hi from Land Down Under - Australia

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
What3Words.

This new App looks great = Hopefully MB will make it backward compatible with our COMMAND system.

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-what3w...38403791806709

I have loaded App onto my tablet and it works really well. Interface it with Nav software and it the “ducks nuts” !!!!!!

Maybe we need to email all our Dealers and MB HQ in each country to get this offered as an upgrade for all recent owners, 2015 onwards ?
Cheers
Old 07-11-2018, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Michelin - “Airless Tyres”

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/air...els_newsletter

I wonder if these will ever be developed for the GLC ?
Ride comfort and rolling resistance still being worked through, but other tyre makers are also investing it appears.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC 250d
Originally Posted by Teckno

Will the rims ‘clear’ the brake calipers ?
There have been some posts where other rims will not fit the AMG brake pattern.
Runflats will still be harsher than normal tyres, try All Season types (non run flats, though there are run flat versions too) and carry a tyre plug set and air compressor.
The All Season tyre compound and design seems to mask or fix the wheel jugger on right hand turns. Summer tyre design seems to make judder worse.
Good luck
Hi Teckno,

My experience is different. I have switched to summer non run flat tyres and the judder is gone, even in car parks on some of our colder days in Sydney.

I don't feel an all season tyre is a great fit in Sydney given the weather. I understand though, that the particular Run Flat tyres you have might be an improvement for judder while retaining a run flat tyre, but I wouldn't be happy with them performance wise in our hot climate.

cheers.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by redrover22
Hi Teckno,

My experience is different. I have switched to summer non run flat tyres and the judder is gone, even in car parks on some of our colder days in Sydney.

I don't feel an all season tyre is a great fit in Sydney given the weather. I understand though, that the particular Run Flat tyres you have might be an improvement for judder while retaining a run flat tyre, but I wouldn't be happy with them performance wise in our hot climate.

cheers.
Yes agree with your observations. My concern was running an All Season tyre in an Australian summer.
So far so good with wear and temp ( I as monitoring pressure and individual tyre temp with an after market TPMS). I had Goodyears fitted last Sept and we are just in Jul, so by this Sept I will have 12 months of use.
My general concern is loss of handling, primarily braking efficiency when using winter and all season tyres in summer.
I have justified my decision for all season run flats primarily on judder removal and RFT remains same.
Given they were provided free I am happy to review my options when they reach 45000k, hopefully not before !
By then I think there will be lots of other manuf options with summer tyre designs, even maybe Conti with Conti seal.
I do not believe there will ever be an engineering fix for my model, due to engine and transmission layout with conversion from LHD, maybe around 2020 if a new build is developed and released. The tyre option, with a finalised alignment setting will be what we will have to work with for RHD models.
I cannot see MB Oz requesting a spare tyre solution for the boot either as all manuf chase best of class enviro and fuel minimising features, adding a spare whilst excellent will be seen as negative, more $$ cost in manuf, less profit and not meting ‘their’ vision - however misdirected it is.
Thanks again.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:09 AM

GLC 250d

Yes agree with your observations. My concern was running an All Season tyre in an Australian summer.
So far so good with wear and temp ( I as monitoring pressure and individual tyre temp with an after market TPMS). I had Goodyears fitted last Sept and we are just in Jul, so by this Sept I will have 12 months of use.
My general concern is loss of handling, primarily braking efficiency when using winter and all season tyres in summer.
I have justified my decision for all season run flats primarily on judder removal and RFT remains same.
Given they were provided free I am happy to review my options when they reach 45000k, hopefully not before !
By then I think there will be lots of other manuf options with summer tyre designs, even maybe Conti with Conti seal.
I do not believe there will ever be an engineering fix for my model, due to engine and transmission layout with conversion from LHD, maybe around 2020 if a new build is developed and released. The tyre option, with a finalised alignment setting will be what we will have to work with for RHD models.
I cannot see MB Oz requesting a spare tyre solution for the boot either as all manuf chase best of class enviro and fuel minimising features, adding a spare whilst excellent will be seen as negative, more $$ cost in manuf, less profit and not meting ‘their’ vision - however misdirected it is.
Thanks again.
Having said that all seasons may not be a great fit in Sydney, I also think that a modern SUV with all the current technology wouldn't suffer too much by using an all season tyre.

I have always come from performance orientated cars so extra grip and control are what I seek, even in an SUV.

On a side note, I have been driving an near new A200 (with some kind of AMG package) as a service vehicle while I am getting a warranty fix on my clicking air conditioning. The bizarre thing is it handles speed bumps better than the GLC! I can approach them quickly without fear of the suspension bottoming out!

It has Dunlop MOE run flats, which, as expected are a bit harsh and noisy but they corner quite well and have no judder of course.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ah, tell me more re AC,
Ours came back from 2 yr Svc and when I start in the morning I get a clicking sound from around the passenger air vent / glove box area.
Took it back and they kept it overnight but could not hear it the next morning. 90% time only on first start up.
Luckily I had recorded 4 different occasions where it happened, they sort of believed me then, but it has not been rectified so I might record it again and let them have it for a few days.
I initially thought a fan blade hitting something or they bent on dislodged something when changing over the cabin filter ?
Frustrating though.

Last edited by Teckno; 07-11-2018 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Spell
Old 07-11-2018, 10:08 AM

GLC 250d
Ah, tell me more re AC,
Ours came back from 2 yr Svc and when I start in the morning I get a clicking sound from around the passenger air vent / glove box area.
Took it back and they kept it overnight but could not hear it the next morning. 90% time only on first start up.
Luckily I had recorded 4 different occasions where it happened, they sort of believed me then, but it has not been rectified so I might record it again and let them have it for a few days.
I initially thought a fan blade hitting something or they bent on dislodged something when changing over the cabin filter ?
Frustrating though.
Will do. Sounds exactly the same and it was easy to replicate by changing the fan distribution settings manually.

They are in the process of taking the dash out and am waiting to hear back. They have had it for 3 days so far.

I was concerned as back in my Alfa 164 days this was a symptom of faulty stepper motor gears and a very difficult fix because of the location. Very very expensive if you are paying for labour!
Old 07-11-2018, 10:14 AM

GLC 250d
BTW this was evident before my 2 year service. So nothing to do with a filter change.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320 w208
Very nice ride!..I’ll trade you strate across for my CLK...LOL...
Old 07-11-2018, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC 43 amg

Will the rims ‘clear’ the brake calipers ?
There have been some posts where other rims will not fit the AMG brake pattern.
Runflats will still be harsher than normal tyres, try All Season types (non run flats, though there are run flat versions too) and carry a tyre plug set and air compressor.
The All Season tyre compound and design seems to mask or fix the wheel jugger on right hand turns. Summer tyre design seems to make judder worse.
Good luck

these wheels arrived today, 8.5 front and 9.5 rear...as 19 inch can be standard fitment, i have no doubt they "fit". The USA Rims place confirmed a good fit.

So next is Run Flat or Non Run Flat with goop and air pump and jack (may have a jack in the GLC 43 but havent looked!!

Looking at Run flat Latitude 3 Michelin. Michelins in my experience have always had a more comfortable ride (compared to Conti's, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Goodyear)
Old 07-11-2018, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Congratulations,
Look great.
We had Michelin Latitude 3 on wife’s Coupe, but they were summer , normal, MO tyres, not runflats. Car came with air pump and goo, No jack or wheel removal kit.
Replaced Michelin with Goodyear run flats, not as soft ride. But she has air suspension and this compensates to a degree.
Well done with your new rims.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Latest tests from UK in 2018 re new tyres.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso...rce=newsletter

based on 17” rims, but may be able to glean some further insight.
Comment is that tyre manuf are turning out new models faster to meet buyers and car manufacturers higher expectations and performance.
Good hunting !
Old 07-14-2018, 08:34 AM

GLC 250d
Ah, tell me more re AC,
Frustrating though.
Hi Teckno,

They first carried out a service bulletin that applied lubrication to a shaft, but that didn't work. In the end they removed the dash and replaced some air ducting and that fixed it.

I would hate to be paying for this. If you can replicate the problem by changing the vent directions then they should be able to track it down. I was lucky to have a very fussy technician.

They also did the steering wheel vibration fix but i will need to take this for a long drive to confirm it is fixed.

cheers.
The following users liked this post:
Teckno (07-15-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update regarding tyres.

This post below is from another GLC site in Australia and may help others re MBA “policy” ? Concerning 16000km travelled and ‘free’ Tyre replacement.

“ Had my GLC250 first service (just under 25k) yesterday. Mentioned crabbing and told that they will check the tyre wear and if low, replace with All Season Goodyear tyres that "MBA has brought in to reduce crabbing issues by around 80%".

Got a call later in a day to tell me that my tyres are fine (~50% thread left) and that they do not think I should be paying for replacement as they still have plenty of life in them. I asked about replacing tyres under warranty, and was told that they've put the cases through to MBA, and MBA are only approving it for cars which have "less than 16,000km" on the clock. This is very convenient figure MBA came up with considering that most people will notice crabbing within 16k, but will probably wait for the first service to bring it up with the dealership.
So bear that in mind and record the crabbing issues early if you want it covered under warranty! “

Hope this helps other owners to follow up their concers regularly and not wait till service intervals.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC price discount in UK.
For 220d version, which I think in z is being discontinued ?

The Mercedes GLC is a quiet and comfortable family SUV with a great range of diesel engines.

Entry-level 220 d versions will be enough for most people, and you can get these with less than 50 miles on the clock with a hefty £5,500 discount from Buyacar.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
Had my front tyres changed over to ContiSeal ( star ). Crabbing has vanished completely. Noted that they put 41psi in each, which seems a tad on the high side. They may wear better at this higher pressure.. Max pressure as indicated on the side wall of the tyre is 51psi.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:04 AM

GLC 250d
Originally Posted by tiger_x
Had my front tyres changed over to ContiSeal ( star ). Crabbing has vanished completely. Noted that they put 41psi in each, which seems a tad on the high side. They may wear better at this higher pressure.. Max pressure as indicated on the side wall of the tyre is 51psi.
In my my experience tyres are always over inflated by the fitters.

I was running 38 psi on the rears for a while and they actually wore quicker than the fronts. The wear was consistent with over inflation.

I think from my experience and others I read, that 36psi all round is the sweet spot.
tiger_x (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 05:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by redrover22
In my my experience tyres are always over inflated by the fitters.

I was running 38 psi on the rears for a while and they actually wore quicker than the fronts. The wear was consistent with over inflation.

I think from my experience and others I read, that 36psi all round is the sweet spot.
I might take them down a few psi based on that!.. Thanks Redrover
Old 08-07-2018, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am thinking of installing TPMS to my GLC, as opposed to its warning system that is not interactive.
Here is the link to TPMS.
Model = CVS-8009

http://www.gzcarphone.com/mercedes-t...l-lcd_p36.html

Follow screen and contact info below pictures.
I am looking to purchase myself.

I am using an aftermarket unit with external sensors on valve stems and a receiver in car, prefer integrated solution.
Has anyone else tried this package ?
Old 08-23-2018, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes web site with software download for Bluetooth SAP.
Site also has FAQ for media and Telephone questions.
Select Country, vehicle, GLC Wagon or GLC Coupe and year of manuf segment.
http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/...09:2017-08/faq
Happy reading.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting article from Australian site for GLC issues - Whirlpool - posted by another reader - enjoy !!!

Hi to any members who want to see John Cadogan sticking it up MBPA, about their lack of response, and disregard to GLC owners, who have crabbing issues. As usual he doesn't spare vitriol. I'm just a little surprised at how long it took him to get around to giving Mercedes a spray.

Click You Tube Link below;
GOT CRABS!

Old 09-29-2018, 08:27 AM

GLC 43 amg
GLC 43 tires and crabbing, and poor quality ride...solution

19 inch with 285 but 45 profile, et 35, so not close to the et 22 on the original rim

front 255 19 inch after market with 50 series Michelin latitude sport 3 front, non run flat. the et is 35 so 5 mm out in scrub, but looks really well fit

original 21 inch on the right and the aftermarket installed..The wheel is ingoard by 13 mm so i will likely get a 12 or 13 mm spacer to get that proper filled out look
Old 09-29-2018, 08:51 AM

GLC 43 amg
Hi team GLC particularly those in Australia. As previously mentioned the fitment from MB of STAR brand continental conti sport 5 COMPLETLY CURED THE CRAB, replaced gratis after i complained the originals were not fit for purpose, at 7500 km. But even after 3000 km the outer tread was wearing, and i doubt they would last 10000km in total. And i am not an aggressive driver and they were well inflated.
The 43 AMG ride is harsh with poor absorption of road irregularities. A sprited drive is fun, but the suburban drive to the office is WORSE THAN THE FAMILY GOLF 103 TSI from 2013!!!!! The road noise on coarse chip bitumin on the Hume was 92-93 decibels, and not really "fulfilling my dreams". iphone decibel meter app held at level of centre vents.
So last trip to the USA in July (AFTER digesting thoughts on this forum...thanks to all+++) thought i would try my own remedy.
Hollister after market rims from rims USA in san diego, thanks Frank Blue, shipped 19 8.5 et 35 and 19 by 9.5 et 35, to our hotel in the US, double boxed, and i brought them back via Qantas (1 wheel per family member!!). total 1000 AUS, about 650 US (plus airfares!!!!!!).
Next which tyre?? Chose Michelin latitude sport 3. JAX Caulfield sourced them and fitted. 255 50 19 front and 285 45 19 rear. About 1700 AUS The offset on the back is noticeable and tight (they sit inboard by 13 mm), so wasnt going to try chains up at Buller, so still need spacers (yet to be done). Bought OEM TPMS for each wheel at MB Brighton...quoted 250 each but asked fro satandard 30 % discount and got it.
Now, i have 4 runflat spares in the garage, and 4 wheels tires and TPMS, for 3400 AUS
Result...will post with my crtique about the ride, but enjoy the pictures i uploaded...what do you all think?
Old 09-29-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Having done essentially the same thing 18 months ago I think you've done good. I was only coming from 20" to 19" and the improvement in handling and ride quality was dramatic. I imagine that it would be even more so from 21". I'm surprised you couldn't source rims locally, although the selection would be more limited. I paid about the same as you for rims. The advantage of the wheels you brought back from the US is that they're a good visual match for the originals, whereas mine gave me a different look. Which I don't mind.

I was going to use one of the 20" run-flats for a spare, which would be fine for short distance and way better than an emergency spare, but I was less sure about driving for an extended period with such a mis-match. So I sourced a fifth wheel. Still a good deal.

As for John Cadogan, does he have any influence? Does anyone who matters take any notice? His shock-jock style is just shameless self-promotion for the services he sells, isn't it? Many (but not all) of his diatribes have some truth, but what is he trying to achieve?
TonyMeister (02-17-2019)
Old 09-29-2018, 09:40 PM

GLC 43 amg
Thx BIPS...can u post a picture of your wheels? I couldnt find a visual match here in Oz

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hi from Land Down Under - Australia