GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 02:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 250d AMG Premium
Thanks Phil- hope you don't get and problems with the crabbing. Mine definitely skips on full lock but doesn't seem as bad as those in videos- no crunching noise for example. I have 20' wheels on Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres and the dealership have confirmed that these are summer tyres- I had to send them photos of the side walls, not the all season jobs. Pirelli's website seems to suggest there are two types of Scorpion Verde- but not that clear.
So I'm down to get the tyres replaced- albeit I'll wait to find out what tyres are being offered as a replacement - suspect replacement tyres will mask the problem rather than solve it. I wonder if MB have found a solution on new right hand drive cars? In your case I hope so.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 43
Hi Oliver - sounds like you're in the same position as me. I've got Continental Sports on 21's and it crabs on full lock, but once the tyres are warm it doesn't happen at all. Do you find the same?
Old 03-04-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 250d AMG Premium
I live in Scotland so there hasn't been much opportunity to get the tyres very warm- tend to notice the crabbing most when coming out of a car parking space, road and multi storey car park. Can live with it but we'll see what tyres are on offer from the dealership
Old 03-04-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Mercedes GLC43
Picking up a new GLC43 with 21" rims on Thursday here in California -it was built 1st decade of January.

Should have summer tires. Will report back.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by rihallix
Picking up a new GLC43 with 21" rims on Thursday here in California -it was built 1st decade of January.

Not a problem on LHD cars.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:22 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten

Your steering will be in the right place Mercedes UK has come out with a statement that this is due to the RHD conversation. You will be fine.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
Just had MB Cust Service on the phone re the tyres. They said that they have tested the issue of crabbing/skipping on the 21" alloys too and believe that they can eliminate it by replacing the front tyres with different compound summer tyres. They only need to replace the front 2 tyres as the back axle is fine. They said that they are trying to source the tyres. I have given them the go ahead to order them for mine but also stated that if I find that there is a performance impact from the new tyres, I will not be accepting the new tyres. Lets see what happens. 6-8 weeks wait.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by rexgold
Just had MB Cust Service on the phone re the tyres. They said that they have tested the issue of crabbing/skipping on the 21" alloys too and believe that they can eliminate it by replacing the front tyres with different compound summer tyres. They only need to replace the front 2 tyres as the back axle is fine. They said that they are trying to source the tyres. I have given them the go ahead to order them for mine but also stated that if I find that there is a performance impact from the new tyres, I will not be accepting the new tyres. Lets see what happens. 6-8 weeks wait.
You may want to ask MB to confirm that if the rear tyres are worn by more than a few mm that there will be no issues with changing front only as there may be an overall diameter difference between front and back.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 C63s Cabriolet
Originally Posted by rexgold
It's going to take them 6-8 weeks to source 2 summer tyres??!! That sounds a bit bizarre? did they say which tyre manufacturer?
Old 03-06-2017, 09:07 AM

right to be forgotten
There is no other MO 21" tyre on the market. But I think Dunlop is about to get into that market. I wouldn't be happy on a 4matic to have Dunlop at the front and Continental at the back
Old 03-06-2017, 09:16 AM

GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
The problem is, we don't have any other option apart from this. Even if we want to reject the car, the ombudsman does state that we must allow the manufacturer the opportunity to fix the issue. Only if they fail in that, does it give it a slightly stronger hand.. One way or other, if I find that the car is not handling as I would like, I will be rejecting the tyres and car then.. Regardless, this will be my last MB.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:22 AM

right to be forgotten
It is such a shame as I recall your fantastic ML350 when we met up all those years ago. And I loved my GL350. Such a shame how they handled this.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by dejongj
It is such a shame as I recall your fantastic ML350 when we met up all those years ago. And I loved my GL350. Such a shame how they handled this.
Agreed, and I love driving the GLC, compared that to GLE 43 and the GLE was just too big for the size of the engine.. shame about the stupidity of MB for right royally screwing it up.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:34 AM

right to be forgotten
Agreed - a brilliant car in LHD only. Not fit for purpose for the RHD markets.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Mercedes GLC43
I may have reproduced on a US LHD GLC43 with 21 inch rims and summer tires. Only occurred once so far (2 days after purchase).

Does this sound like the issue - when turning fairly sharp right (not full lock) at 15mph in Sport Plus the whole vehicle judders - it's as if you're driving a manual (stick shift) and you're in too low a gear. The entire car shudders as if you're about to stall. Does this align with the issues the UK folks are having?

It's rare. Happened the once only in Sport Plus, car was cold.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
I may have reproduced on a US LHD GLC43 with 21 inch rims and summer tires. Only occurred once so far (2 days after purchase).

Does this sound like the issue - when turning fairly sharp right (not full lock) at 15mph in Sport Plus the whole vehicle judders - it's as if you're driving a manual (stick shift) and you're in too low a gear. The entire car shudders as if you're about to stall. Does this align with the issues the UK folks are having?

It's rare. Happened the once only in Sport Plus, car was cold.
From what I have read it is in all drive modes and only on full lock.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 GLC 43 AMG, 2013 Boxster
Rihalix,

This is not an issue with the car, rather the nature of wide summer profile tires, especially when cold, on full lock. Being performance tires, the rubber is more sticky, unlike all weather tires with deep sipes
That flex more.
My 2013 Boxster with summer tires exhibit the same characteristic, even more than my GLC 43 AMG.
Porsche said it is normal and does not harm the car in any way. For US GLCs, this is an overblown issue.

Last edited by Widman; 03-12-2017 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 03-13-2017, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Sorry Widman MBUK have admitted it IS an issue in RHD cars, if you look back at videos posted by UK owners you will see it isn't the "characteristic" you are talking about.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 GLC 43 AMG, 2013 Boxster
Philamg,
If you read my comment, I was referring to US made cars, not the UK built cars
that I agree is an issue.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi Q5
Originally Posted by Oliver12
Perhaps all new right hand drive GLCs are being fitted with AW tyres as standard now- i.e. to mask the issue rather than resolve it.

Interested to find out what tyres are fitted on new deliveries- If summer tyres and no crabbing have Mercedes found a fix but not offering to existing owners as too expensive to retro fix......?
a dealer in the UK confirmed that all new builds will have AW tyres.. hence the shortage in the market

Pirellis and / or Continentals I'm told
Old 03-19-2017, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by Matteus GLC AMG
Good news Phil!- Hope it lasts for you!! I guess the crabbing issue should be better on the 19" wheels, so this may well have done the trick - hope so.

Have you posted photos anywhere BTW?
Hi Matt, still no issue with my car and thoroughly enjoying it, have you seen the following post on the F pace forum:

http://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2592

Anybody know what's happened to Dejongj, not posted for a couple of weeks after posting several times a day on this thread, wonder if an agreement has been reached with MB!!!!!!!.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:02 AM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Philamg
Hi Matt, still no issue with my car and thoroughly enjoying it, have you seen the following post on the F pace forum:

http://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2592

Anybody know what's happened to Dejongj, not posted for a couple of weeks after posting several times a day on this thread, wonder if an agreement has been reached with MB!!!!!!!.
Thanks Phil - Good to know that if I happen to miss anything negative about my new £60k car on order, you're there to pick it up.......
Old 03-20-2017, 04:09 AM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
Upside is that you can at least reject a Jag if it is deficient. MB don't even let you do that!!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by Matteus GLC AMG
Thanks Phil - Good to know that if I happen to miss anything negative about my new £60k car on order, you're there to pick it up.......
Sorry Matt, won't try and help in future, you didn't have same attitude about people posting about the GLC Crabbing. I have owned a JLR product and have been on their forums for a long time, the number of quality issaues with their "premium" cars is unbelievable and that's why I haven't bought another one. Yes the crabbing issue is really bad but very few other quality issues on the GLC.
You are correct in that after a lot of hassle you can reject the car but financially would probably have to order another one. I sincerely hope your car is perfect as like GLC'S a lot of them are. Seems odd that this thread seems to have died a death and someone who was posting everyday on it and the same on other forums seems to have disappeared now, I wonder why.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 AM

2019 C63s Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Philamg
Sorry Matt, won't try and help in future, you didn't have same attitude about people posting about the GLC Crabbing. I have owned a JLR product and have been on their forums for a long time, the number of quality issaues with their "premium" cars is unbelievable and that's why I haven't bought another one. Yes the crabbing issue is really bad but very few other quality issues on the GLC.
You are correct in that after a lot of hassle you can reject the car but financially would probably have to order another one. I sincerely hope your car is perfect as like GLC'S a lot of them are. Seems odd that this thread seems to have died a death and someone who was posting everyday on it and the same on other forums seems to have disappeared now, I wonder why.
Calm down Phil, just banter mate.
Re JP, I suspect he probably just needs a break from the frustration of it all, and I don't blame him. Or perhaps he's now having legal dealings with MB and feels it's better not to post at this time. Either way, I'm sure we'll hear back when he has anything new to report.
The following users liked this post:
dejongj (03-20-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tyre scrubbing on (full) lock