GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Newbie with several questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 GLC300, 2017 Corvette Z06
Newbie with several questions

Hello all, I've been having fun today learning about our new 2017 GLC300 (only option is option package-1). I've glanced through the manuals and searched a bit but can't find answers to the following two questions.

1) We have other cars, like my 2014 Stingray, that will automatically lock when you walk away from the vehicle with the key FOB (passive locking). From what I've found so far it appears this car doesn't have that feature....but I hope I'm wrong. Can someone help verify where it does or doesn't.

2) Are the door locks "fully" electric or just have electric assist. To put it another way if you are in the car, doors locked and the battery is disconnected can you still open the door? In my Stingray they are fully electric and in the scenario above there is small "emergency" handle that you can pull that unlocks the doors mechanically (i.e. old school).

Any input is appreciated.

Regards,

Rick
Austin, TX
Old 01-07-2017, 06:22 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Unlike your Vette's inside door handle which is operated electrically the GLC handle operates mechanically and therefore does not require electrical power.

Again, unlike the Vette, in order to lock your GLC from the outside, your must touch the door handle before walking away from the vehicle. This assumes your GLC is so optioned.

This feature will require some getting used to as it requires you take specific action as compared to simply walking away from your Vette as it automatically locks.

I have a ZO6 and can't tell you how many times I've had to return to my GLC in order to lock it.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the clarifications.

Yeah, remembering to put my finger over the sensor will take getting used to. That being said the wife drives it the majority of the time and I drive the Stingray. : )

What year Z06?
Old 01-07-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ArcticWhiteZ51
Thanks for the clarifications.

Yeah, remembering to put my finger over the sensor will take getting used to. That being said the wife drives it the majority of the time and I drive the Stingray. : )

What year Z06?
In my house I drive the GLC. My wife drives the Envoy and I like it that way.

My ZO6 is a 2006. Bought new in Dec. 05. Highly modified, makes 548 rwhp. Best car I've owned.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The "walk-away-auto-lock" is not a feature on MB's - in their thinking - if a driver is required to take a postive action to lock the car - any liability associated with locking is on the driver.

For example - if a 4-door GLC - with child-lock activated at the rear doors - would have walk-away-auto-lock - MB does not want someone accidently locking a child in the backseat and blaming MB - and/or even "auto-locking" a pet in the car.

On GLC have you gone thru Mercedes Me to become familiar with what you can/or-can't do with your MB using your SmartPhone app ? I am not being a SmartA*s here - just trying to be helpful - and waht you can do for "free" can be useful and fun.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:59 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
And to further the comment regarding the Mercedes Me app, if I walk away from the vehicle and did not lock it, I get a popup notification on my iPhone saying exactly that to me. I then have to choice to lock the vehicle remotely via my smartphone.

Likewise if it unlocks it will let the app know as well.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Originally Posted by dejongj
And to further the comment regarding the Mercedes Me app, if I walk away from the vehicle and did not lock it, I get a popup notification on my iPhone saying exactly that to me. I then have to choice to lock the vehicle remotely via my smartphone.

Wow, in Oz we are not provided with Mercedes Me app, so no iPhone app notification. Sounds good, maybe we will get it one day ?
We also miss out on garage opening button in roof console, etc.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by dejongj

I already had MBrace on our Iphone but not Mercedes Me. I created an account now and have Mercedes Me working on the phone as well. I can lock/unlock the vehicle with MBrace or Mercedes Me.

For your example above are you simply getting out and walking away (and how far away)? The reason I ask is I tried just that and the app didn't send a push notification. Is it somehow comparing the phone and car GPS locations to determine you walked away?

Also, if I lock/unlock the car with the FOB, Mercedes Me doesn't push a notification to the phone