GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist and Distance Pilot DISTRONIC and Steering pilot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glc
DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist and Distance Pilot DISTRONIC and Steering pilot?

What is the difference between these: Distance pilot vs steering pilot vs lane keeping Assist vs steering assist. Online they're called "DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist" (GLC) and "Distance Pilot DISTRONIC and Steering Pilot" (GLE). Are these the same?

I was reading the GLC and GLE brochures / mercedes build website from the dealer and they use these different terms for the drivers assistance package features... But they seem very similar. Or are they the name for a better version of the same thing?

Here are the brochure pages from the GLC and GLE:

[GLC](https://i.imgur.com/yFJoIpy.jpg)

[GLE](https://i.imgur.com/oVU3oil.jpg)
Old 09-29-2017, 01:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
W205 C300 (MY), X253 GLC43 (AU), W213 E400 4M (AU), S213 E220d All-Terrain (AU)
Originally Posted by Fun4stuff
What is the difference between these: Distance pilot vs steering pilot vs lane keeping Assist vs steering assist. Online they're called "DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist" (GLC) and "Distance Pilot DISTRONIC and Steering Pilot" (GLE). Are these the same?

I was reading the GLC and GLE brochures / mercedes build website from the dealer and they use these different terms for the drivers assistance package features... But they seem very similar. Or are they the name for a better version of the same thing?

Here are the brochure pages from the GLC and GLE:

[GLC](https://i.imgur.com/yFJoIpy.jpg)

[GLE](https://i.imgur.com/oVU3oil.jpg)
They're the same thing.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:44 AM

Glc
I’m case anyone else is wondering, this was the response from Mercedes:

“They are both the same feature. It was just a name change as the word "assist" may imply that the vehicle is fully autonomous to some, when it still requires driver attention and action. Both will do the same thing. "”

Last edited by Fun4stuff; 09-29-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC300
I haven't researched it completely but there could be some minor differences. Yes Distronic is essentially what other brands call adaptive cruise control. Some possible additional features is the ability to sense the speed limit based on signage and navigation system. Another possibility with steering is to automatically change lanes when the blinker is turned on and the lane is free. Found these two features when searching both names you listed, on YouTube. The videos appear to be official vids from MB. I wouldn't be surprised if the GLE has slightly enhanced Distronic but that both do the basic function of distance pacing cruise control with some sort of steering assistance.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by GLCKitty
I haven't researched it completely but there could be some minor differences. Yes Distronic is essentially what other brands call adaptive cruise control. Some possible additional features is the ability to sense the speed limit based on signage and navigation system. Another possibility with steering is to automatically change lanes when the blinker is turned on and the lane is free. Found these two features when searching both names you listed, on YouTube. The videos appear to be official vids from MB. I wouldn't be surprised if the GLE has slightly enhanced Distronic but that both do the basic function of distance pacing cruise control with some sort of steering assistance.
All Mercedeses of all classes with the Driving Assistance Package Plus (23P) have Distronic Plus with active steering assist.

Only the W213 E-class and facelifted/MoPF W222 S-class have one extra feature as part of 23P: Drive Pilot (which includes lane change assist, and a longer hands-off period).
Old 09-30-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by yjchua
All Mercedeses of all classes with the Driving Assistance Package Plus (23P) have Distronic Plus with active steering assist.

Only the W213 E-class and facelifted/MoPF W222 S-class have one extra feature as part of 23P: Drive Pilot (which includes lane change assist, and a longer hands-off period).
what is the hands-off period on the newer generation?
Old 09-30-2017, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by ajmtbm
what is the hands-off period on the newer generation?
Up to 60 seconds, depending on factors such as the speed you're traveling at, lane markings, etc.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:12 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
I have adaptive cruise control on my Mazda and I love it. I really wish my S had it.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:25 PM

W213
Originally Posted by Fun4stuff
What is the difference between these: Distance pilot vs steering pilot vs lane keeping Assist vs steering assist.
No they are not the same. As far as I understand:

Distronic: adaptive cruise control, drives at the set speed or keeps distance from the vehicle ahead

Lane keeping assist: watches the lines and can gently move you back into the lane by applying brakes. It uses brakes to "turn" hence it can only be active above 65 km/h. Also I'm pretty sure on the long term it will wear down the brake pads.

Steer assist: can turn your steering wheel to keep you in the lane. Can also automatically change lanes but who needs that.

Lane keeping assist and steer assist have separate buttons left on the dash.
What I don't understand is why there is a lane keeping assist if there's a steer assist. Why would you ever want to ruin brake pads when you can make it steer with the wheel?

Last edited by benedekjotu; 02-02-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:23 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by benedekjotu
No they are not the same. As far as I understand:

Distronic: adaptive cruise control, drives at the set speed or keeps distance from the vehicle ahead

Lane keeping assist: watches the lines and can gently move you back into the lane by applying brakes. It uses brakes to "turn" hence it can only be active above 65 km/h. Also I'm pretty sure on the long term it will wear down the brake pads.

Steer assist: can turn your steering wheel to keep you in the lane. Can also automatically change lanes but who needs that.

Lane keeping assist and steer assist have separate buttons left on the dash.
What I don't understand is why there is a lane keeping assist if there's a steer assist. Why would you ever want to ruin brake pads when you can make it steer with the wheel?
thats a Good point about them being similar. im thinking that the lane keep assist is for when you dont have the distronic on, like in the city. and i believe it is active lower than 65 km/h