GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

pardon my silly question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC
pardon my silly question

On the ‘18 GLC is there a way to open texts if you don’t have the multimedia package? I see emails show on the screen. Any access to them as well?
Old 11-05-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
...define 'access', pls...........
Old 11-05-2017, 10:18 PM

GLC
Originally Posted by Ddmccormack
...define 'access', pls...........

Being able go pull the texts and/or emails up on the car’s screen, without going to the phone itself. Other cars have this ability. Does this car?
Old 11-07-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
If you hear the beep-beep tone and see the envelope icon to indicate you have a text message, you can see it by doing this:

First, press the TEL button on the dash. You can use the rotary controller to select TEL but it's quicker and easier to push one button.

Next, use the rotary controller to select the envelope icon. Select "Text Msg" on the lower half of the TEL menu to display a list of incoming messages. In my car, the one on top is the most recent and they are in descending order from newest to oldest.

Using the controller, highlight the message you want and press to select. The system does not read the message out loud as in other cars, but the entire message appears on the screen. It appears regardless of whether or not you're driving, so be careful and don't let it distract you.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by mtberman
If you hear the beep-beep tone and see the envelope icon to indicate you have a text message, you can see it by doing this:

First, press the TEL button on the dash. You can use the rotary controller to select TEL but it's quicker and easier to push one button.

Next, use the rotary controller to select the envelope icon. Select "Text Msg" on the lower half of the TEL menu to display a list of incoming messages. In my car, the one on top is the most recent and they are in descending order from newest to oldest.

Using the controller, highlight the message you want and press to select. The system does not read the message out loud as in other cars, but the entire message appears on the screen. It appears regardless of whether or not you're driving, so be careful and don't let it distract you.
yea.....as if you wouldn't be distracted already by the time you actually got the text up on the screen! !
Old 11-07-2017, 12:56 PM

2016 GLC 300
Well...couple points:

-- You generally need to change settings on your cellphone to allow bluetooth connection for text messages to display on car. On an android you go to settings, select bluetooth, go down to the Mercedes entry and select the tool or settings selector for it, turn on 'message access'. Not sure exact steps on an iphone.

-- I find it easier, just a two button move, to do it like this:
1) Hit the star button next to the rotary dial ) on upper right side
2) Hit selector down on the envelope selection...message will be displayed. To avoid having to turn the rotary dial to select the envelope icon, rearrange the icons so it is the first on on the left of the display row.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:22 PM

2018 GLC 300 4matic
I think you should be able to get the car to read you the text. It’s under settings I think.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by Merciditas
I think you should be able to get the car to read you the text. It’s under settings I think.
In my GLC with voice activation I issue the instruction "messages" and then a second instruction "read out new messages" and it reads them out. I assume voice activation is standard in other countries, as there's a button for it on the steering wheel. It would be nice to only have to issue one voice command, but my vehicle's voice activation system doesn't seem to recognise "read out new messages" unless it's in the messages part of the system.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:22 PM

GLC
Originally Posted by decorily
yea.....as if you wouldn't be distracted already by the time you actually got the text up on the screen! !
Originally Posted by Ddmccormack
Well...couple points:

-- You generally need to change settings on your cellphone to allow bluetooth connection for text messages to display on car. On an android you go to settings, select bluetooth, go down to the Mercedes entry and select the tool or settings selector for it, turn on 'message access'. Not sure exact steps on an iphone.

-- I find it easier, just a two button move, to do it like this:
1) Hit the star button next to the rotary dial ) on upper right side
2) Hit selector down on the envelope selection...message will be displayed. To avoid having to turn the rotary dial to select the envelope icon, rearrange the icons so it is the first on on the left of the display row.

How does one rearrange the icons?
Old 11-07-2017, 09:58 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by mtberman

You can also add the mail icon to the shortcut screen to minimize the steps. Then you just less the star on the controller and then select the envelope
Old 11-08-2017, 03:03 PM

2016 GLC 300
Originally Posted by carnutt
How does one rearrange the icons?
Hit the star button...slide rotary selector knob down (ie back)...select Move...select the envelope icon and turn knob to left to drop it into the first (ie left most) position in the row