GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Anyone have experience "wrapping" their GLC to mirror the Night Package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 300
Anyone have experience "wrapping" their GLC to mirror the Night Package?

Hi everyone! I'm new here, but I'm a proud owner of a 2018 GLC 300. While I essentially got all of the features that mattered to be last November when I purchased, I've really grown into how cool "Night" packages can look. I've been seeing cases where people have had professionals "wrap" their vehicle in certain areas? Is this possible? The areas of interest to me are:

1) Side mirrors
2) Chrome styling around the windows (not actually sure what this is called)
3) Chrome rails on the top of my vehicle

Does anyone happen to have any experience with this? Is it possible? How do I go about finding a professional who can do this?

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions on which pieces of the car could be "wrapped" to make it stand out?

Thanks all!

P.S., I have included some photos of my Benz that my brother took! I think it would look great with such mods.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLC Coupe
You can either vinyl wrap them (3m tape) or plasti dip them...I would recommend looking for a shop that modifies auto's in your area
Old 05-26-2018, 05:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLB 250
Check with a local tint shop -- they often do the wrapping stuff too.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:24 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
GLC
I think your car looks better than the blacked out version of regularl white GLC. I don't understand the stormtrooper Fab today. Black out only if you have black car imo. Just my 0.02
Old 05-26-2018, 10:38 PM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by openwheelracing
I think your car looks better than the blacked out version of regularl white GLC. I don't understand the stormtrooper Fab today. Black out only if you have black car imo. Just my 0.02
To each his own, I guess. I think the Night package looks best on white. It's a great black on white contrast that matches other black trim elements on the car.

To me, its a question of sportiness. The chrome is traditionally more "luxury." Few sports cars have much chrome. The black is a more aggressive, sporty look.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:34 AM

GLC
IMO the best part of the blacked "sport" trim package is the wheels with black shadows. Without actually changing the wheels, no amount of vinyl wrapping will make it look right.

Also, I don't know if I can associate glossy side mirror, matte black roof rails, and glossy window trim as "sporty".

I would simply suggest OP to upgrade to the diamond grille and be done with.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:08 AM

2021 GLB 250
On further thought, I would not wrap the side mirrors -- only the chrome parts. If you don't like it in a year, its easy to take off.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda Accord
Originally Posted by DDGator
To each his own, I guess. I think the Night package looks best on white. It's a great black on white contrast that matches other black trim elements on the car.

To me, its a question of sportiness. The chrome is traditionally more "luxury." Few sports cars have much chrome. The black is a more aggressive, sporty look.
I agree with "openwheelracing" in that the night package does not look that great on a white GLC. There is just too much contrast there. Our eyes cannot see any details when it's white on black or vice versa. I don't like black trim on white cars, especially black rims on white cars. There is too much contrast and the black wheels look like steel winter rims on a white car from far away.
If I wanted a black "sporty" car, I would buy a black car and black it out. White cars should keep their chrome trims. Looks better and you can actually see the vehicle details this way.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:36 PM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by CroMecka
I agree with "openwheelracing" in that the night package does not look that great on a white GLC. There is just too much contrast there. Our eyes cannot see any details when it's white on black or vice versa. I don't like black trim on white cars, especially black rims on white cars. There is too much contrast and the black wheels look like steel winter rims on a white car from far away.
If I wanted a black "sporty" car, I would buy a black car and black it out. White cars should keep their chrome trims. Looks better and you can actually see the vehicle details this way.
That is interesting. The reason I hear most people say they like black trim on white cars is specifically for the contrast. The contrast highlights the sporty elements, like grills and scoops and such. Never heard anyone say its too much contrast. I feel the opposite, like the black trim and the black paint hide the lines and the details in most lighting. It is still a cool look to me, but makes it harder to see the sporty details. More menacing, but less sporty, in my opinion.

Too each his own, for sure.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:11 PM

Honda Accord
That is interesting. The reason I hear most people say they like black trim on white cars is specifically for the contrast. The contrast highlights the sporty elements, like grills and scoops and such. Never heard anyone say its too much contrast. I feel the opposite, like the black trim and the black paint hide the lines and the details in most lighting. It is still a cool look to me, but makes it harder to see the sporty details. More menacing, but less sporty, in my opinion.

Too each his own, for sure.
Not to go ranting on about "contrast" and super high "contrast" but there is a difference between the two. On white cars, black trim, especially black rims look horrible.
Here is an example with a CLA:

Top picture is with crappy steel rims and the bottom is with custom black rims. Looks the same to me due to too much contrast. Doesn't look sporty or bad *** in any way. Just looks like some washed out rims.
Having too much contrast is not always best IMO.

Bright elements (rims, decals, grills) for bright paint and dark elements (rims, decals, grills) for dark paint.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:33 PM

2021 GLB 250
. On white cars, black trim, especially black rims look horrible.
Respectfully disagree.

Black wheels are a different story. Again, there is not enough contrast between the wheel elements and it blends together in some cases. I like the use of black in Mercedes "Night" package wheels.

I think the one below looks great.

I may also be influenced in part by the fact that every other GLC in my area is while with chrome. Because its the cheaper combo, so that is what dealers tend to stock and that is what you see with all the service loaners, etc.

And I also think that decisions about black trim depends on the car and how the trim is applied. This BMW looks great with B&W too.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:41 PM

Honda Accord
Respectfully disagree.

Black wheels are a different story. Again, there is not enough contrast between the wheel elements and it blends together in some cases. I like the use of black in Mercedes "Night" package wheels.

I think the one below looks great.

I may also be influenced in part by the fact that every other GLC in my area is while with chrome. Because its the cheaper combo, so that is what dealers tend to stock and that is what you see with all the service loaners, etc.

And I also think that decisions about black trim depends on the car and how the trim is applied. This BMW looks great with B&W too.
Both look great! Great examples of it being done properly. Too many out there are "blacking" out things that shouldn't be blacked out on white cars....especially rims. Both your examples have bright silver rims. Black mirror caps, black window trim and maybe some black on the lower bumper is as far as I would go on a white GLC.
I guess I just hate black rims on white cars.

Anyway, don't add too much contrast as it looks bad and forced.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:44 PM

2021 GLB 250
Both look great! .
I think we agree more than we disagree. I could go either way on the mirror caps. Black wheels are tricky for sure. I've seen setups I like and I've seen ones that seemed like they were trying too hard.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:27 PM

GLC 300
Hi guys!

Thanks for all the feedback. I actually went ahead and found a reputable shop and had it done this past weekend and I'm in LOVE! Below are the finished results. Apologies for the low-quality photos, they're not super fancy -- just what it looked like in the shop! I can have my brother take some cooler ones later

In terms of what was done, I had the: side mirrors, chrome trim around the windows, chrome accent on door handles, roof rails, front under spoiler(?), rear exhaust tips and Mercedes model branding wrapped. Additionally, I also had my wheels coated as well! I think it looks awesome!

The following users liked this post:
Barbaris (12-16-2019)
Old 05-28-2018, 10:36 PM

2021 GLB 250
Wow. Looks great. Please do post some better lighting pictures later and some closeups.

Can you share what you paid for the individual items?

When you say the wheels were coated, what do you mean? Powder coated?
Old 05-28-2018, 10:43 PM

GLC 300
Wow. Looks great. Please do post some better lighting pictures later and some closeups.

Can you share what you paid for the individual items?

When you say the wheels were coated, what do you mean? Powder coated?
Thanks! I definitely will! In terms of what I paid, I can't remember the actual breakdown, but in total it was about $650. I feel like I got a great deal and the guy I worked with was super legit. I don't know though average prices though, I just did my research and bit the bullet when I found someone who understood what I wanted!

In terms of the wheels, they weren't powder coated but instead were coated with something called "plasti dip"? From what I understand its effectively a rubber coating. I'm just getting into aftermarket modifications to my vehicle and am not really experienced with cars, so I apologize if my terminology is incorrect.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:07 PM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by Cory Ramirez
In terms of the wheels, they weren't powder coated but instead were coated with something called "plasti dip"?
Yes, Plasti-dip is a rubberized product that you can spray on or paint on. You can buy it at a hardware store. It's not easy to do wheels because you have to take them off, tape them off, and spray them evenly. The upside is the Plasti-dip can be peeled off with no permanent changes. I will be interested to see how it holds up over time.

Sounds like you got a pretty good price for all of that.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:13 PM

GLC 300
Yes, Plasti-dip is a rubberized product that you can spray on or paint on. You can buy it at a hardware store. It's not easy to do wheels because you have to take them off, tape them off, and spray them evenly. The upside is the Plasti-dip can be peeled off with no permanent changes. I will be interested to see how it holds up over time.

Sounds like you got a pretty good price for all of that.
I think so too! And yeah, my research shows as long as you take care of the vehicle (as with everything in life) it should last a long time. I was informed to not use any super intense pressure washes or anything up close really. He showed me his wheels he did two years prior and they still look great. We shall see I guess!
Old 05-29-2018, 12:38 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
MBenz C205 250d
Hi guys!

Thanks for all the feedback. I actually went ahead and found a reputable shop and had it done this past weekend and I'm in LOVE! Below are the finished results. Apologies for the low-quality photos, they're not super fancy -- just what it looked like in the shop! I can have my brother take some cooler ones later

In terms of what was done, I had the: side mirrors, chrome trim around the windows, chrome accent on door handles, roof rails, front under spoiler(?), rear exhaust tips and Mercedes model branding wrapped. Additionally, I also had my wheels coated as well! I think it looks awesome!

awesome
Old 05-29-2018, 11:25 AM

Honda Accord
Hi guys!

It really looks like your wheel wells crossed the event horizon and the wheels got sucked into a black hole.

To me, the look takes away from the vehicle and it looks like you're ready for the winter with those wheels.

Overall though, it looks like it was professionally done and they did a good job of what you asked them to do. Just not my thing.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:00 PM

GLC
Need the actual wheels with black shadows....not just plastidip the wheels. That stuff looks aweful after a few months.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:52 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Thanks for posting, it's got me leaning towards doing something similar as I waited too long to order the "Night Package" on my GLC. I don't dislike the chrome, but think the black looks better. Anyway, looks really good, but kinda not feeling the wheels...but it's your car, not mine. I'm assuming they used "gloss" black wrap for everything but the wheels? Did they use wrap for the exhaust tips or something else because of heat? Enjoy!