GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

loaner GLC 300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC 300
loaner GLC 300

I am shopping around for a GLC 300. Should I only buy if loaner car is a CPO ? Is it ok to buy the loaner as is from the dealer ? Also, what is the max discount anyone received on a loaner car ? I am of the impression I should get a far more discount for a loaner car compared to a new one. Please advise. TIA
Old 08-07-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by kirangnvs
I am shopping around for a GLC 300. Should I only buy if loaner car is a CPO ? Is it ok to buy the loaner as is from the dealer ? Also, what is the max discount anyone received on a loaner car ? I am of the impression I should get a far more discount for a loaner car compared to a new one. Please advise. TIA
I bought a loaner CPO with less than 4000 miles in May of 2017 and have been very pleased with it. The discount I got off MSRP wasn't great, about 10%, but the trade-in they gave me on my BMW was over $1000 better than other dealers' offers. If you caught a dealer at the right moment, you could probably do better, even on a new one. The great thing about M-B CPOs, though, is the 5-year unlimited mileage warranty that comes with them. And if 5-years isn't enough, you can buy two more. For a high-mileage driver like yours truly, this is great news. I just blasted past 55K on my way to having 200K plus on the clock by the time the warranty is up.

As to your question asking if all loaners are CPOs, I have to think that they are. The only circumstances I can think of where a loaner wouldn't be CPO is if it had been in a serious accident or if a customer had made some irreversible modifications to it. In any case, if it's a loaner and the dealer won't CPO it, I would be very suspicious. Dealers in this area typically sell off their loaners after about 6 months or n number of miles so they are for all intents and purposes new cars with an incredible warranty. Personally, I think it would be hard to go wrong on a CPO loaner.
The following users liked this post:
kirangnvs (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 09:35 AM

2018 GLC 300
Hi ChinaBob, thank you so much for your detailed response. I asked the dealer if the loaner vehicle i am looking to buy is a CPO and here is the response. "No, it’s only been in the loaner program for around 1 and 1/2 months. It would still have the remained of the factory warranty, and it’s never been in anyone’s name but the dealership. "

I am not a high mileage driver so may be the unlimited warranty with CPO doesn't really matter to me but looks like in my case they are not CPOing it. Don't know what to do., looks like they want to sell it their own way.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:14 AM

2017 GLC 300
"No, it’s only been in the loaner program for around 1 and 1/2 months. It would still have the remained of the factory warranty, and it’s never been in anyone’s name but the dealership. "
Hm, interesting. Normally, I don't think dealers will release cars for sale with less than six months or so in the loaner fleet. Mine was a loaner for 5 1/2 and it took some extra paperwork before they could sell it to me.

My gut feeling about your situation, though, is that there's no problem if they can sell it now and honor the remainder of the new car warranty. The CPO just extends the factory warranty out to forever but if that's not of interest to you and everything else is right I don't see a downside.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:23 AM

2018 GLC 300
You are right normally they don't release but they said if I am ready to buy they will pull it out. I was looking at another GLC with another dealer which was a trade in. They are selling it as a CPO and almost want the new car price for it, their argument is that it has unlimited warranty. They offered it to for 43k and I am asking for 40k which they are not willing to give at the moment. I am trying to see if I can take advantage on the price on this non-CPO GLC which has a head-up display that I like.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:35 AM

2017 GLC 300
I am trying to see if I can take advantage on the price on this non-CPO GLC which has a head-up display that I like.
The HUD is the reason I went for the particular car that I bought. They're rare, maybe the only one in New England at the time, but certainly one of the best features. Go for it!
Old 08-09-2018, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
A dealer "normally" needs to hold a loaner 6 months to maximize the MB subsidy - "early" retirement back to retail can make sense about 3 months in-service - a dealer can pull a loaner at any time and forgo MB loaner subsidy if they have a customer for it.

It's the dealer's choice whether to CPO or not - that's a function of the added cost - and at/about 3mos the subsidy at that time "washes" or balances the added CPO cost.

Back to basics - best focus for satisfied ownership is having the MB that has the features you value most - if you crave Head-Up - which from production limitations is quite rare - then best to grab it..

"Discounts" have narrowed because the 2018's out there are going to need to carry the business for awhile as most 2019 models will be delayed to very late this year.
The following 2 users liked this post by fabbrisd1:
ChinaBob (08-09-2018), kirangnvs (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 09:48 AM

2018 GLC 300
The dealer that I am negotiating with via email/phone on the purchase price is 200 miles away from my home. I think they are going to get the seriousness of my intention to buy if I go visit the dealership but at the same time I am wondering whether the dealer is anywhere near to the budget I have and my final offer. Should I email the dealer my bottom line offer or should I visit the dealer and offer my bottom line price?
I know it depends on how badly I want the car. And since the car is only one and half month in the loaner program I am not sure how badly the dealer wants to sell it. Any suggestions pls ?
Old 08-09-2018, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Personally - I think you need to make your own choice - between buying the the GLC you want to have - or buying the GLC that best fits your budget. Those are two different GLC's - and I think you understand that your research and what you have posted here.

Good luck !