GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

2017 GLC300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 07:56 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
2017 GLC300

- My wife’s had numerous windshield chips and it seems that Mercedes used a very cheap and thin glass for windshield. The slightest tap, causes it to crack. Now we are having it replaced ($1,300 total apprx) In comparison, the GLE350 has much thicker and stronger windshield.
- steering whee Convenience option, when getting in/out of vehicle, was making grinding screeching noises-fixing under warranty.
- AC mildew mould smell from AC- no fix for that MB wants to wash the canister for $300.
- Trunk vinyl roll/pull cover - right clip was loose - MB hasn’t confirmed if fixing under warranty
- Gas cap- the plastic string attached to the cap. Simply snapped. Weird. Didn’t do anything other than unscrew the lid. It’s never happened on any other vehicles. MB replacing under warranty.
Made in Germany vehicle but very cheaply made. Not impressed.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (07-12-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 10:10 PM

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Originally Posted by Roni07
- My wife’s had numerous windshield chips and it seems that Mercedes used a very cheap and thin glass for windshield. The slightest tap, causes it to crack. Now we are having it replaced ($1,300 total apprx) In comparison, the GLE350 has much thicker and stronger windshield.
- steering whee Convenience option, when getting in/out of vehicle, was making grinding screeching noises-fixing under warranty.
- AC mildew mould smell from AC- no fix for that MB wants to wash the canister for $300.
- Trunk vinyl roll/pull cover - right clip was loose - MB hasn’t confirmed if fixing under warranty
- Gas cap- the plastic string attached to the cap. Simply snapped. Weird. Didn’t do anything other than unscrew the lid. It’s never happened on any other vehicles. MB replacing under warranty.
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...2-5m-vehicles/
Old 07-10-2020, 10:13 PM

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
my little gas door stopped locking after a year how you think I felt
Old 07-11-2020, 02:29 AM

Honestly, my wife and I are done with Mercedes, its not worth the money and hassle of owning one. Our next vehicle is probably going to be a Hyundai or Toyota SUV.
my wife was driving the other day and called me , she said that there was a very light tap by an object on the windshield and immediately the glass started cracking and sleazing down and sideways. She was flabbergasted when she went to gas up and unscrewed the gas cap, she said she wasn’t hard or forcefull, and the plastic string snapped. We owned plenty of other cheaper vehicles and have never experienced that. My wife asked me to confirm that this GLC300 was made in Germany 🇩🇪, yes of course. She said she’s not impressed with the built quality.
chassis (07-12-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 06:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 Glc 250 AmgLine
From Sept 2018

Current GLCs are imported from the Bremen factory in Germany.

If you care where your compact luxury crossover is made, Mercedes has got some news for you. As early as October, the company will start importing the GLC to the United States market from its Pune factory in India. At the moment, the U.S.-spec model comes from the Bremen plant in Germany, with no plans to insert the GLC into the assembly line at Mercedes’ Tuscaloosa factory in Alabama where the GLE, GLE Coupe, and GLS are being built.

Speaking with Automotive News, Mercedes USA spokesman Rob Moran confirmed the plan: “The SUV GLC is in great demand worldwide. Therefore, Mercedes-Benz uses the capacities of its global production network on four continents. This also includes the Mercedes-Benz plant in Pune.”

I agree the manufacturing has gone mainstream, not what one would expect from a “Prestige” Marque

Old 07-11-2020, 07:42 PM

I think at this point, regardless of where they make this vehicle, we are done with the Mercedes brand, semi-made up-luxury-subpar quality- for an exuberant price.-type of vehicle. The only thing we’ve enjoyed so far from Mercedes dealership, has been the two massage recliner chairs they installed in the customer service waiting area. Quality is a fiction and reliability is closer to a pipe-dream. This has been our 4 year, two suvs owning experience.
chassis (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 01:35 PM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
This won’t change your overall view of your car, but the moldy smell coming from your AC can be remedied, as least for a year or so, by replacing a filter. There are 2 filters in the system. A “cabin dust filter”, which is changed from the inside and another filter which is accessed under the hood near the firewall. I believe it’s that filter that gets dampness in it after after a time and just reeks when the AC comes on. I’m not sure what canister they’re talking about cleaning, but changing that filter should fix that awful smell. Mine was changed at my B service last year and the smell disappeared.

On the clip that is loose on the rear cover, there are two screws on the clip and one of mine came off (I couldn’t find it), so now my clip is kind of wobbly, but it still holds ok. It’s just a little trickier to get it in the track if you’ve totally opened it. Agreed, you shouldn’t have to fix things like that, but stuff happens. So far I’ve been too lazy to see about replacing that screw.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,024 Likes on 3,161 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Accurate assessment of Mercedes-Benz in 2020. Candidate next vehicles:

Porsche
Toyota
BMW
Genesis
Old 07-14-2020, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Ok, here is my experience
I think it was my third week owning 2014 ML i was driving from dealer just got my plates, light click and windshield cracked, 20 miles later spider net, $500 deductible and all behind.
Newer had any smell issues, and always had AC in auto mode

In 2019 bought 2018 GLC, on the second week, rock hit the windshield, I was so close to home, didn't drive much and it was fixed, now it looks like a little bug ))
No smell issues and AC is on and in auto mode.
This GLC was build in Finland and ML in US.

I believe all MFGs trying to save where its possible and get better MPG ratings, so any other brand might have the same issues.
I believe CX5 had issues with windshields when they just cracked with no reason.