GLC 300 audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 04:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MB GLC 300 4Matic
GLC 300 audio upgrade

Hi,

I bought a 2019 GLC 300 4matic and I really like it except for the Audio and trust me when I say I am not being super picky about the quality when I say it really lacks. I also own a 2015 Prius and the stock sound system sounds better than the GLC stock system. No I didn't get the higher end system since I bought a lease return from one of the MB auctions and being this is my 1st MB auto, I was kinda expecting better quality for the sound. I have owned a few Audi's in the past some with upgraded system and some with the stock systems and I even thought on Audi the stock system sounded better than the upgraded HK system, so it was a roll of the dice buying this one.

So has anyone replaced the speakers or other type of upgrade to make the stock system sound better? I have carplay which also seems pretty weak vs a few of the other auto makers, but that's another story. So I love to see what I can do to improve the sound and trust me when I say I am not looking for something that will shake everything around me, just cleaner sounding system please

Thank You
The following 2 users liked this post by GLC3004ME:
MikeA765 (07-29-2020), SilverSurferMB (07-21-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 03:31 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Just wanted to let you know where the burmester is good and where it is not so good. I got it on my car, friend said doesn't care, saved money. Burmester is better at classical, but if you don't listen, it isn't really much of a step up.I'm not sure what you mean by upgrading the quality. Yes, the burmester speakers look cool, that was one of the reasons I got it. I think replacing diaphragms might work
The following users liked this post:
GLC3004ME (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 500SL, 2016 GLC300
Just saw this on GLC Forums. Audiotek-Fischer in Germany has drop-in upgrade speakers for the GLC. Don't know if they are available in the U.S.
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...s/up-c42mb-frt
I have the corner grilles with the tweeter holes in them, and would like to install a pair of tweeters to add some "sparkle" to the sound. Boosting the treble with the stock speakers just makes the upper mids / lower treble sound shrill.
GLC3004ME (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 06:50 PM

MB GLC 300 4Matic
I guess I have to find out which speakers need to be replaced and how much that cost plus install. I did see a youtube thread where the guy tells you want to buy to replace certain speakers.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Please understand you will find a LOT MORE on audio upgrade on the W205 forum - as there are TON'S of owner's there who have worked out "upgrades" from select speaker replacement/addition up to full systems.

The most affordable Audio 20 Upgrade are adding China made Burmester door speaker covers - available on eBay/Amazon which will have some US vendors - or Aliexpress or Amazon for direct ship from China - the sound doesn't change - but you have the "right look" from the get-go.

Not know what you want to achieve: many C-Class Audio 20 owners start with adding front tweeters - or you can have a audio shop do that - the tweets are adding to the mirror triangle with high-pass filter on ea - and there are aftermarket wiring "splitters" that you use to take the signal to the door speaker and split to door/tweeter.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ters-w205.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Benz-C-...4AAOSwmU9eR4ui

You have direct replacement door speakers - from the German/Italians/Chinese - Steg - Eton - Fischer - Emphaser - by "direct replacement" meaning these have the C/GLC/MB three mounting post and do not require door mod's.

There are "plug-in-play" add-on DAC/Amplifiers - which China calls "non-destructive" you pull the console - these amps have plug-n-play connectors that pull the audio signlas from your head unit - and amp gets wired in for power and to output to your speakers.

Check out the W205 forum - anything that applies on a W205 C-Class will work with your GLC..
GLC3004ME (07-29-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 02:40 PM

19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Please understand you will find a LOT MORE on audio upgrade on the W205 forum - as there are TON'S of owner's there who have worked out "upgrades" from select speaker replacement/addition up to full systems.

The most affordable Audio 20 Upgrade are adding China made Burmester door speaker covers - available on eBay/Amazon which will have some US vendors - or Aliexpress or Amazon for direct ship from China - the sound doesn't change - but you have the "right look" from the get-go.

Not know what you want to achieve: many C-Class Audio 20 owners start with adding front tweeters - or you can have a audio shop do that - the tweets are adding to the mirror triangle with high-pass filter on ea - and there are aftermarket wiring "splitters" that you use to take the signal to the door speaker and split to door/tweeter.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ters-w205.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Benz-C-...4AAOSwmU9eR4ui

You have direct replacement door speakers - from the German/Italians/Chinese - Steg - Eton - Fischer - Emphaser - by "direct replacement" meaning these have the C/GLC/MB three mounting post and do not require door mod's.

There are "plug-in-play" add-on DAC/Amplifiers - which China calls "non-destructive" you pull the console - these amps have plug-n-play connectors that pull the audio signlas from your head unit - and amp gets wired in for power and to output to your speakers.

Check out the W205 forum - anything that applies on a W205 C-Class will work with your GLC..
smart man smart. I would get those plug in play amps because they probably will work.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300
Gladen and Rainbow also make direct fit (German made) speakers in addition to Audiotec Fischer mentioned above (see their "Match" components). Don't forget to upgrade the 8" woofers in the firewall. Will be a huge upgrade to the stock speakers. If you want killer sound/sound quality you should also consider a Digital Sound Processor to "tune" the sound to your car acoustics, makes a big difference if done properly. Audiotec Fischer also makes an amp/DSP and a plug-n-play harness to simplify things. Audio Frog makes great speakers too but will require a little work to fit the odd-ball 3-hole mounting of your GLC.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:01 PM

Did you upgrade anything yet OP? My friend wanted his regualr non burmester speakers upgraded. Wondering if you had any results.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:01 AM

MB GLC 300 4Matic
Sorry no I haven't I have been looking to get a trailer hitch installed so been looking into it, many of the shops have limited hours and you have to talk to the right people or you get oh we can do anything... I will upgrade the speakers, but I get a feeling MB just has a poor basic head unit driving all of this. Sad to say i LOL every time I get in my 2015 Prius and turn on the music and think, MB just sad they did something like this for a retail 48k suv. I think the audio review people should review each year and the different options and put out a report, then maybe this wouldn't happen.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:57 AM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
There is a possibility of new features coming that may provide more customization to the sound (think not just bass/middle/treble) that we've already seen on the upcoming S-Class. Since the MBUX system is upgradable, its possible that new versions may have more options for sound customization.

The other thing I wanted to bring up when you are considering replacing speakers or anything audio with these cars - doing so may break the Pre-Safe sound feature which protects your ears during an impact by playing a specific frequency that closes your ear by triggering the stapedius reflex. In short it makes everything suddenly muffle at point of impact as a safety precaution to prevent hearing loss. Maybe its still fine with different speakers, but just beware.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:57 PM

Oh yeah! I forgot. Pre-Safe is one of the best features I think ever. I think you should just let it be and let music be music.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
As I have mentioned - the W205 forum has extensive posts on "upgrades".

The new generation Plug-N-Play DSP amps are the Cat's Meow - your Source material remains your Source - but you have DSP control of each channel thru PC/notebook to creat your own audio enviorment and/or including time delay.

THAT driving upgraded speaker's gives you a whole new audio world fort your MB.... Pre-Safe-Sound remains intact - since your Source remains intact..
GLC3004ME (09-14-2020)