GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

2021 GLC300 ugly bumper & grill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 09:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2021 GLC300 4Matik
2021 GLC300 ugly bumper & grill

I love our MB GLC300 4Matik. It's beautiful car and when it comes to luxury nothing beats it in its' price range. BMW might be better handling car, but aside from it's drive-train it feels like a downgrade when you sit in it after MB. And I like MB's in general. If they could adopt BMW engineering these cars could compete with Porsche.

But there is one thing I am not fond of in this 2021 GLC300 - it's front bumper and grill. I mean, why change the design of headlights if you are not going to put matching bumper on it? The older grill shape was turned upside down on other lines of MB, and their headlights followed the pattern. But with GLC300 they changed headlights, but they left the bumper as it was before, making it totally out of place and mismatching. Unless you want to upgrade to AMG trim, you are stuck with this ugly GLC300 grill.

What are your thoughts on it? Any reasonable remedy there that doesn't cost a fortune or isn't cheap/fake aftermarket solution to it?

Old 02-18-2021, 09:30 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
This is OEM, and since you like the AMG line, https://www.ebay.com/itm/35328582287...kcid=28&chn=ps
Old 02-18-2021, 10:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
mazda3
Thats why I pick my car with the AMG Line. I just love the diamond pin grill design.
The following users liked this post:
WHEEL DESIGNERS (02-15-2022)
Old 02-19-2021, 03:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 2020 Coupe
Picture

Originally Posted by GLC300EN
I love our MB GLC300 4Matik. It's beautiful car and when it comes to luxury nothing beats it in its' price range. BMW might be better handling car, but aside from it's drive-train it feels like a downgrade when you sit in it after MB. And I like MB's in general. If they could adopt BMW engineering these cars could compete with Porsche.

But there is one thing I am not fond of in this 2021 GLC300 - it's front bumper and grill. I mean, why change the design of headlights if you are not going to put matching bumper on it? The older grill shape was turned upside down on other lines of MB, and their headlights followed the pattern. But with GLC300 they changed headlights, but they left the bumper as it was before, making it totally out of place and mismatching. Unless you want to upgrade to AMG trim, you are stuck with this ugly GLC300 grill.

What are your thoughts on it? Any reasonable remedy there that doesn't cost a fortune or isn't cheap/fake aftermarket solution to it?
can u please share a picture of your front bumper and grill. I understand your complaint but I just want to see how does your car look like. Mine is a 2020 AMG line model and I see the overall change in the front side is ugly but the grill is more or less nice.
GLC300EN (02-20-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 08:51 PM

19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Originally Posted by wesram
can u please share a picture of your front bumper and grill. I understand your complaint but I just want to see how does your car look like. Mine is a 2020 AMG line model and I see the overall change in the front side is ugly but the grill is more or less nice.
The old gen looks better. Pics would help though.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:50 AM

2021 GLC300 4Matik
Originally Posted by ParjAS
The old gen looks better. Pics would help though.
Please look at first two images. Note how the shape of the grill matches the contour of the headlights (it's older GLC).
Compare it to 2021 GLC. Not only grill has unnecessary curves, but there is now an obvious disconnect between headlights and the grill, it seems like they belong to two different cars (which they do).
The proper grill shape for newer headlights is what they sell as AMG line here (see the third image).

Hope this explains

ParjAS (02-21-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 02:14 AM

2021 GLC300 4Matik
You are correct, it's not the grill per se which is really bad, it's the shape of the headlights mismatching that of the grill that ruins it (grill would be a better fit for older headlights, and , ironically, older grill would fit still better with newer headlights that the current one). And overall the front (bumper and around the grill) of the newer GLC300 looks more like designed by Toyota than the guys who designed older model of GLC. I posted some images to visualize the point I was trying to make.

Last edited by GLC300EN; 02-20-2021 at 02:16 AM.
wesram (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 02:26 AM

2021 GLC300 4Matik
Originally Posted by wkc987
Thats why I pick my car with the AMG Line. I just love the diamond pin grill design.
I don't mind the regular grill without diamond pins (although, I won't deny, those pins definitely look good).
There is a bigger problem there, and it's the entire front bumper and the shape of grill mismatching that of the newer headlights, lines just don't alight anymore.
And someone who designs Mercedes obviously knows this (if they were ignorant of design flaw they would be unable to design anything well, which is obviously not the case).
Ironically, front of the older GLC now looks better than the newer one.

I think they do this as a pr trick, to force people pay more for options. Disable wireless MBUX, so someone who wants wireless navigation will be forced to pay $1600 for it.
Make front of the car very ugly, so someone who doesn't want ugly bumper pays for AMG line.
They could as well put headlights and wheels matching the shape of those in Toyota Corolla , so you would be forced to pay thousands of dollars just to get a headlight and a bumper designed for Mercedes Benz GLC.
wesram (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 03:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 2020 Coupe
Please look at first two images. Note how the shape of the grill matches the contour of the headlights (it's older GLC).
Compare it to 2021 GLC. Not only grill has unnecessary curves, but there is now an obvious disconnect between headlights and the grill, it seems like they belong to two different cars (which they do).
The proper grill shape for newer headlights is what they sell as AMG line here (see the third image).

Hope this explains

I have exactly the 3rd image. I do hate the front lower bumper huge gaps and I think the old shape for it is better.but in the end its a personal preference
GLC300EN (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 10:16 AM

2021 GLC300 4Matik
I have exactly the 3rd image. I do hate the front lower bumper huge gaps and I think the old shape for it is better.but in the end its a personal preference
I agree, the gaps are bit too large. But still, it matches overall design. Too aggressive bumper design, yes, but it's AMG line, so I understand why they did it. And I would prefer to have that design, with grill shape matching my headlights, over very silly front end/bumper I have now.

What is unfortunate is that the front end of 2021 GLC300 (standard) looks like it's been designed by dude who was high/was inspired by Hyundai or Honda designs and hired to screw Mercedes buyers.

With the exception of its' inferior front end design, everything about 2021 GLC300 is fine. It would be better if they didn't do face lifting in 2021 and just rolled totally redesigned 2022.

P.S. When I trade my current MB in and get a new one, I will have to be more careful and spend $10K extra, just so I don't get a car that is deliberately given downgraded looks and lacks standard features for a luxury car, such as wireless CarPlay. May have to get AMG line with Navigation package instead of standard package, which automatically bumps me to E class. And then I might be like "What the heck? May be I should just get a GLE instead of GLC". See what they are doing?

Last edited by GLC300EN; 02-20-2021 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:55 PM

I get it now... I thought my 2019 looked fine. The 2020 needs a reshaped grill or new headlights, like they did in the W205 refresh without changing the shape itself.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:40 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 GLC 300

I beg to differ. I specifically chose the standard grill for my 2021 GLC 300. I personally think it looks classic unique Mercedes-Benz. The pin grill is nice and okay bit looks rather ordinary. Quite a few manufacturers do the pin grill thing. The BMW Z4 and the Kia Stinger are two that I can readily think but there are more. I do agree with you on the better driving dynamics of BMW over Mecedes and the superior interiors of the Mercedes over the BMW. I do think the BMW idrive 7 is superior to the MBUX though. I own one of each 2021 models so I'm always comparing the two.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:09 PM

2021 GLC300 4Matik
Originally Posted by cbebmb1
I beg to differ. I specifically chose the standard grill for my 2021 GLC 300. I personally think it looks classic unique Mercedes-Benz. The pin grill is nice and okay bit looks rather ordinary. Quite a few manufacturers do the pin grill thing.
Notice that my complaint is not about lack of pin grill. My issue with with the mismatch of the shape of the headlights vs grill in 2021 GLC model. I posted images to make my point clear.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:00 AM

2021 GLC 300
Notice that my complaint is not about lack of pin grill. My issue with with the mismatch of the shape of the headlights vs grill in 2021 GLC model. I posted images to make my point clear.
Did you not notice the front design of the vehicle before you purchased it? We all see things through different eyes. I think the front looks great and and oozes Mercedes-Benz.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:14 PM

Part of it may be the bumper too.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:25 PM

2021 GLC300 4Matik
Did you not notice the front design of the vehicle before you purchased it? We all see things through different eyes. I think the front looks great and and oozes Mercedes-Benz.
Of course I did. But I didn't want to spend extra $$$ to get a grill/bumper that matched the shape of the headlights. Now I am thinking that next time I might. I like the car overall, it's a great SUV, they just screwed one part of it, the front grill/bumper.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:27 PM

2021 GLC300 4Matik
Originally Posted by ParjAS
Part of it may be the bumper too.
Shape of the grill doesn't match that of the headlights. Since grill is embedded in the bumper, yes, bumper bears the liability for the end result.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:05 PM

2021 GLC 300
Shape of the grill doesn't match that of the headlights. Since grill is embedded in the bumper, yes, bumper bears the liability for the end result.
You're confusing the grill with the bumper. The grill is the open section with two horizontal slats and the big star. The bumper resides below the grill. I see your (personal) point regarding the headlights not matching the curve of the grill. You are quite observant and a bit picky which you have the right to be. I personally like the headlights on the 2021. I think they have more of a swept back look.
I think the old AMG pin grill design with the AMG package is okay but common. But the bumper below the grill with those huge openings is quite gaudy. The GLC 300 is a compact 4 banger luxury crossover. It is not a high performance compact SUV ( and in just my opinion) should not pretend to be. MB has the true AMG line for that. (again, just my opinions, no offense intended.)
Old 02-23-2021, 12:22 PM

2021 GLC300 4Matik
You're confusing the grill with the bumper. The grill is the open section with two horizontal slats and the big star. The bumper resides below the grill. I see your (personal) point regarding the headlights not matching the curve of the grill. You are quite observant and a bit picky which you have the right to be. I personally like the headlights on the 2021. I think they have more of a swept back look.
I think the old AMG pin grill design with the AMG package is okay but common. But the bumper below the grill with those huge openings is quite gaudy. The GLC 300 is a compact 4 banger luxury crossover. It is not a high performance compact SUV ( and in just my opinion) should not pretend to be. MB has the true AMG line for that. (again, just my opinions, no offense intended.)
no, I am not confused. This is 2021 make, not 1979. It doesn't have a bumper clearly distinguished as a separate part, instead it extends all the way up filling the area between headlights and a grill. Speaking of being picky, the point I was trying to make (about mismatch in lining/curve of the grill vs headlights) should have been abundantly clear, without bringing in a topic of definition of bumpers vs grills.
That being said, yes, if buyers are charged $50k you bet they will be demanding when it comes to design and aesthetics, if I wanted just practically well performing and lasting car I would go with Toyota, which is also more reliable car.
Finally, I consider it digression when you bring in AMG line ,with aggressive bumper not being a good fit for underperforming compact SUV. My main concern is the mismatch of headlight shape vs grill shape. This wasn't an issue before , the old headlights were perfectly aligned with the grill made just for it. New headlights require a different grill shape (which is embedded in bumper, so bumper has to change as well). I didn't say anything about headlights per se lacking in aesthetic value , nor did I say that aggressive AMG bumper is what I am down for. What I made very clear is that there is such a mismatch between headlight and grill shape that I would prefer to have AMG line, as long as lines match. This is an aesthetic issue, besides any power statement or implications of AMG line design.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:26 PM

2021 GLC 300
no, I am not confused. This is 2021 make, not 1979. It doesn't have a bumper clearly distinguished as a separate part, instead it extends all the way up filling the area between headlights and a grill. Speaking of being picky, the point I was trying to make (about mismatch in lining/curve of the grill vs headlights) should have been abundantly clear, without bringing in a topic of definition of bumpers vs grills.
That being said, yes, if buyers are charged $50k you bet they will be demanding when it comes to design and aesthetics, if I wanted just practically well performing and lasting car I would go with Toyota, which is also more reliable car.
Finally, I consider it digression when you bring in AMG line ,with aggressive bumper not being a good fit for underperforming compact SUV. My main concern is the mismatch of headlight shape vs grill shape. This wasn't an issue before , the old headlights were perfectly aligned with the grill made just for it. New headlights require a different grill shape (which is embedded in bumper, so bumper has to change as well). I didn't say anything about headlights per se lacking in aesthetic value , nor did I say that aggressive AMG bumper is what I am down for. What I made very clear is that there is such a mismatch between headlight and grill shape that I would prefer to have AMG line, as long as lines match. This is an aesthetic issue, besides any power statement or implications of AMG line design.
We all have our own opinions and it is feels good to express them. I have and you've been no slouch. Also......friendly bantar is also a good thing.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:07 PM

2021 GLC300 4Matik
We all have our own opinions and it is feels good to express them. I have and you've been no slouch. Also......friendly bantar is also a good thing.
Absolutely, I may disagree with what you say but will fight for you to be able to say what you think

Old 02-11-2022, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
What is up with the buttons?

I don't mind the grill, but I can see how some people might not like it. I just got my GLC 300 2021 last week and really annoyed by the odd buttons on the front and back bumper! What are they for? I owned a GLC few years back and the bumper didn't have these odd looking buttons/hole covers. They cheapen the car! I wonder why Mercedes thought it was a good design!

Old 02-11-2022, 02:15 PM

Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by GLCSouth
I don't mind the grill, but I can see how some people might not like it. I just got my GLC 300 2021 last week and really annoyed by the odd buttons on the front and back bumper! What are they for? I owned a GLC few years back and the bumper didn't have these odd looking buttons/hole covers. They cheapen the car! I wonder why Mercedes thought it was a good design!

those 'buttons' are the parking sensors.
WHEEL DESIGNERS (02-15-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
Oh!! Ha ha. Now to learn how to initiate the parking
Old 02-15-2022, 07:08 PM
SPONSOR

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
MERCEDES C43 AMG, GLC300 Daily
I think they look great if you get the AMG Line package.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2021 GLC300 ugly bumper & grill