GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Extended Warranty worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 07:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 300
Extended Warranty worth it?

I never gave much thought to an extended warranty until I just read the thread "GLC 300 Engine failure.” I have a 2017 GLC 300 that I originally obtained on a 3 year lease in June 2017 and then purchased the car in June 2020. The car has very low mileage, only 23,000. I only drive about 3,000 miles a year now.

I asked the MB dealer about the cost of an extended warranty, and he gave me the following quote, based on low mileage. His MB dealership would charge $2,876 for an extended warranty for 5 years or 30,000 miles, with a $250 deductible. Is it worth it?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:23 PM
SPONSOR

Received 250 Likes on 192 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by BlueRidge
I never gave much thought to an extended warranty until I just read the thread "GLC 300 Engine failure.” I have a 2017 GLC 300 that I originally obtained on a 3 year lease in June 2017 and then purchased the car in June 2020. The car has very low mileage, only 23,000. I only drive about 3,000 miles a year now.

I asked the MB dealer about the cost of an extended warranty, and he gave me the following quote, based on low mileage. His MB dealership would charge $2,876 for an extended warranty for 5 years or 30,000 miles, with a $250 deductible. Is it worth it?

Thanks for your help.
Extended warranties are worth it, from reputable companies. I have provided a number of GLC warranties to forum members, with better terms and coverage (Mercedes policies are not exclusionary, giving less power when it comes to claims acceptance). Our Freedom Warranties are accepted at all Mercedes Benz dealers in North America. Text or Call me at (602) 909-9216 or send me an email at tgibson@highline-autos.com for a quote and example contract.
The following users liked this post:
Ravenkeeper (10-14-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLC 300 4Matic
Did the dealership offer you Factory warranty or 3rd party at that price?
Old 10-15-2021, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 150 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by BlueRidge

Thanks for your help.
If its Manufacturing warranty absolutely, if its 3rd party I would think more and do more research on insurance company. I personally bought MFG extended warranty from Jeff, his contact can be found on this forum.

As an example if you with GEICO and bought car new they offer MBI for just a few $ per month.

https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance...own-insurance/
Old 10-15-2021, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLC 300 4Matic
@DanD. Can you please post the prices from Jeff you got and the make / model / mileage of your vehicle?
Old 10-15-2021, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ari_s
@DanD. Can you please post the prices from Jeff you got and the make / model / mileage of your vehicle?
I paid $2,095 but it's for two years
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
I bought it used with 6K miles and at the time of purchase 7.5K miles.it came with 1 year extended warranty on top of original warranty,

I know the reason why you are looking for extended warranty, piston cracks because of hit, hit it's a low octane
I think as long as you maintain clean oil and HIGH octane gas from trusted source, you should be fine.
Personally I use Shell or Chevron - No Costco, No SafeWay or Fred Mayer even know they considered top tier.
Oil must be clean and right spec and amount to cool the engine, I do oil changes very often 3.5K miles and use
Liqui Moly oil, but considering to switch the brand.

P.S. It's all my personal opinion.
ari_s (10-15-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 08:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 300
I would like to thank everyone for their very helpful advice. I will check on suggested issues and then likely get an extended warranty.
Highline-Autos.com (10-17-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 10:52 AM

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
2016 GLC300
Blue Ridge,
I would caution you against an extended warranty. Firstly, they are some of the highest profit margin insurance policies in the insurance business. Ever wonder why car dealers, appliance dealers, and electronic equipment dealers are always pushing them so hard? Secondly, just look at who jumped to answer you on this thread: someone who sells the warranties! Lastly, NEVER buy an extended warranty until you comparison shop on the price and read the contracts. You will be absolutely shocked in the range of prices for what you think is the same coverage length. And you will be even more shocked at what the extended warranties do not cover. This last point is where they make their money!

As with ANY insurance, the qualifying question is: Can I afford the loss? If you cannot afford the loss, then you need insurance. If you CAN afford the loss, then ask yourself the question if you are willing to pay a premium because you simply aren't comfortable with the amount of loss. In over 32 years of adult living, I've NEVER got an extended warranty. In that timeframe, I've had exactly one product, a 70" Sharp TV, fail during what would have been covered by an extended warranty. It failed at 14 months, literally 2 months out of warranty. I purchased the TV using a Signature Visa, who doubles the manufacturer's warranty. After dealing with them for 3 weeks, I finally got a check in the mail for $2800, and went and bought myself a new TV. Now what have I saved by not getting an extended warranty in that time? Likely over $25,000 in those 32 years.

The trick to this GLC300 is changing the oil every 5,000 miles, much more regularly than the 10,000 they recommend. I change the oil and filter myself on the 5,000's (for a total cost of about $50), and have the dealer do it on the 10,000's. The other trick is to not use the Run-Stop engine feature as much as possible. There is NO WAY this isn't hard on an engine over time. At best, it has no effect on wear. At worst, it will cause premature wear on the engine (possibly leading to failure). We paid an independent shop $154 to allow us to permanently disable the Run-Stop. This accomplishes 4 things: 1. The battery will last much longer. 2. The starter will last much longer. 3. The engine will last much longer. 4. The wife won't be annoyed as the car shudders 12 times on her way to work as the Run-Stop keeps activating.

MB has been selling thousands of these cars per month for years now. It is one of their best sellers. And this engine is in some other models of their cars as well. There are literally hundreds of thousands of these engines in use. And because 2 people come on the forum with engine replacements, the engine is suddenly unreliable? I don't buy it. At least not yet. Ask at your local Jeep dealer how many engines they've replaced and you will be floored! If you go on the Jeep forums you will have a newfound respect for MB.

If you are concerned about the long-term cost of your MB, then I would recommend either selling it or having a cash reserve in savings that can cover the most expensive type of repair (engine and/or transmission generally). This is what I do. As far as "MB have many electronic components that can run into the thousands to diagnose and repair", this may be true, but this is where a thorough read of the extended warranty will open your eyes. They don't cover many of these items.

All I am saying is to be VERY careful when parting with $2,000 to $5,000 for a warranty that covers what is essentially a 3 or 4-year period. Read the exclusions!

Last edited by Jetfuture; 10-23-2021 at 10:56 AM.
SkiRockies03 (10-31-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 11:43 AM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
Originally Posted by DanD.
Personally I use Shell or Chevron - No Costco,

P.S. It's all my personal opinion.
I have logged knock retard (KR) with several fuel sources in my area. Costco produced less ignition KR than both the Shell and Chevron in my area.

What information did you use to determine you would not use Costco?
Old 10-23-2021, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Jetfuture
Blue Ridge,
I would caution you against an extended warranty. Firstly, they are some of the highest profit margin insurance policies in the insurance business. Ever wonder why car dealers, appliance dealers, and electronic equipment dealers are always pushing them so hard? Secondly, just look at who jumped to answer you on this thread: someone who sells the warranties! Lastly, NEVER buy an extended warranty until you comparison shop on the price and read the contracts. You will be absolutely shocked in the range of prices for what you think is the same coverage length. And you will be even more shocked at what the extended warranties do not cover. This last point is where they make their money!

The trick to this GLC300 is changing the oil every 5,000 miles, much more regularly than the 10,000 they recommend. I change the oil and filter myself on the 5,000's (for a total cost of about $50), and have the dealer do it on the 10,000's. The other trick is to not use the Run-Stop engine feature as much as possible. There is NO WAY this isn't hard on an engine over time. At best, it has no effect on wear. At worst, it will cause premature wear on the engine (possibly leading to failure). We paid an independent shop $154 to allow us to permanently disable the Run-Stop. This accomplishes 4 things: 1. The battery will last much longer. 2. The starter will last much longer. 3. The engine will last much longer. 4. The wife won't be annoyed as the car shudders 12 times on her way to work as the Run-Stop keeps activating.

!
MB extended warranty covers a lot, almost everything I wouldn't buy third party warranty for sure, I had ML350 Diesel before GLC and was worry all the time because didnt get warranty and
read a lot about famous oil cooler leaks and engine sludge, end the story I drove 100Miles on it newer had issues exept user errors )) saved on warranty used money on preventing maintenance.
with GLC decided to add warranty I dont know why no reason

i would swap order 4 and 1.
this is totally different subject
but 100 % agreed and bought OBDII Start/Stop disabler on ebay from Minsk even before I bought GLC, engine start this is the most stressful time, on all components including chain which gets starched over time, Stop is very stressful on turbo as turbo need lubrication and cooling which does by oil, even its recommended after you drive let it idle for a fe mins to cooloff the turbo.
add engine air filter and spark plugs replacements, I do every 10K air filter and planning to replace SP every 30K. I do it all by myself so it cost reasonable. Technically all recommended services intervals divided by 2.
im sure even if do nothin it will last warranty period by design, i want to keep the car long time so need to maintain it from the beginning.

Last edited by DanD.; 10-23-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Sugar_Mouth
I have logged knock retard (KR) with several fuel sources in my area. Costco produced less ignition KR than both the Shell and Chevron in my area.

What information did you use to determine you would not use Costco?
as I stated its my personal opinion as I didnt see any race teams running on Costco/SafeWay/FredMair gas I know they are Top Tear, and i didnt see any additives package information from them, at least we know what Shell and Chevron adds, it could be just marketing (most likely) but feels better.
Hope their gas keeps my engine cleaner, it might required so many miles to see difference but when I pulled spark plugs from Nissan after 70K miles (recommended interval 100K) i was very pleased with their look and color which tells the temp was right in cylinder. and nissan runs also on Chevron or Shell 99%

Old 10-23-2021, 02:50 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
Originally Posted by DanD.
Stop is very stressful on turbo as turbo need lubrication and cooling which does by oil, even its recommended after you drive let it idle for a fe mins to cooloff the turbo.
Coking generally is no longer an issue for modern turbo vehicles with post shut down cooling/lubricating systems as well as advancements in oils.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
I am a fan of extended warranty currently. We did a lot of research as the selling Dealer did not offer extended warranty on our new cars, we just got the 3 year factory.
if I sold my car to them at year 4 I could have purchased it back from them with another 3 year ‘OEM’ warranty included - BUT I could not buy it for my cars as I was not wanting to sell.
We purchased 3 policies from ERIC ins here in Oz. Broker did a good price. Purchased a 5 year policy as we are looking to keep for 8 years.
One car written off, policy paid extras incl 2 weeks car rental and then reimbursed pro rata time left on policy. We did ok and it was worth it.
2nd policy has one claim to date for around $800Au, for voltage regulator, claim paid without any issue.
3rd policy has kicked in by time and so far no claims, that car has air suspension.
You only have to make 2 or 3 claims in 5 years to recover premium cost - It is peace of mind knowing most items covered, incl new transport, accommodation, etc.
The proof of a good policy is the support given and ease of claim.
ERIC Ins here in Oz has been excellent.
Highline-Autos.com (10-25-2021)