360 camera image quality got poor at night after firmware updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC250
360 camera image quality got poor at night after firmware updates

Dear all,

Is there anyone who can help this topic?

Due to a calibration problem on my 360 degree camera(opening rear camera during forward driving), I visited the Mercedes Benz workshop in Neuss. I had a meeting with one of engineers and asked to finish calibrating the 360 camera.
After the appointment I noticed that the picture quality of the camera got very bad at night. I can no longer use the camera properly at night.

I immediately took my car back to the shop and asked for a repair.
They said they did the software update which I didn't request and they can't go back.

The result of the software update and the appointment was an absolute disaster. I have attached my video and picture here.

Is there anyone who has same problem? how to fix?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Test outside 15.01.2022.mov (296.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: mov
Test Underground 15.01.2022.mov (349.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-24-2022, 07:55 PM

Received 395 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by jbhanworks
Dear all,

Is there anyone who can help this topic?

Due to a calibration problem on my 360 degree camera(opening rear camera during forward driving), I visited the Mercedes Benz workshop in Neuss. I had a meeting with one of engineers and asked to finish calibrating the 360 camera.
After the appointment I noticed that the picture quality of the camera got very bad at night. I can no longer use the camera properly at night.

I immediately took my car back to the shop and asked for a repair.
They said they did the software update which I didn't request and they can't go back.

The result of the software update and the appointment was an absolute disaster. I have attached my video and picture here.

Is there anyone who has same problem? how to fix?
Looks like some kind of overexposure?
Surely should not let the dealer to get away with it by saying ''we cannot go back''.
They screwed up and they ought to fix it. It is OK that they do not know how at the moment when you asked them, but they should then begin to search and even ask Stuttgart for a solution.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,475 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yeah, that looks like some kind of a low light calibration issue. Especially in your underground example it starts out good, but then seems to overexpose suddenly. I'm guessing due to a light source entering the viewing angle. I don't have any experience with the old camera, but what is the icon on the bottom right that looks like a sun? Can you select that and change something related to brightness/exposure? The icon sure seems to imply something like that. I scanned the online owners manual, but I couldn't find anything.

Old 01-25-2022, 05:34 AM

GLC250
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yeah, that looks like some kind of a low light calibration issue. Especially in your underground example it starts out good, but then seems to overexpose suddenly. I'm guessing due to a light source entering the viewing angle. I don't have any experience with the old camera, but what is the icon on the bottom right that looks like a sun? Can you select that and change something related to brightness/exposure? The icon sure seems to imply something like that. I scanned the online owners manual, but I couldn't find anything.

I tried but it really didn’t help. Just make it more blurry or darken.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,931 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
This is highly unlikely but could it be that there are smudges on the lens that just needs to be cleaned when they were working with the vehicle? It does look foggy.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
During the last service a month ago complain about foggy front 360 camera. They tested and found no fault. They cleaned it and sure it looks clear for a few days. Now it looks foggy again especially when there is light in front of the camera. I tried to clean it but doesn't seems to be able to remove the fog. The smudge seem to be inside the lens. Any idea on how I can reach inside to clean the smudge?
Old 01-27-2022, 12:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,931 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by dadalook
During the last service a month ago complain about foggy front 360 camera. They tested and found no fault. They cleaned it and sure it looks clear for a few days. Now it looks foggy again especially when there is light in front of the camera. I tried to clean it but doesn't seems to be able to remove the fog. The smudge seem to be inside the lens. Any idea on how I can reach inside to clean the smudge?
Is there condensation inside the lens that you notice as well?
Old 01-27-2022, 01:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Is there condensation inside the lens that you notice as well?
I don't see any,, try to wipe the camera but fog is still there so it must be inside.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Check cameras on both side mirrors and front camera, clean all 4 camera lens with a prescription lens cleaning cloth. Even lightly spray the cloth with lens cleaner and re wipe all 4 lens.
System may be overcompensating ? Overhead view however is blurred for 360 degrees, not just rear or side.
Still seems like a contrast imbalance still.

Could it be your dash video screen ? Are other images, such as mapping, telephone txt still sharp or are other screen views also blurred ?

Last edited by Teckno; 01-27-2022 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:19 AM

Received 395 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
There is an indication that it could be the dash screen, ie if you look closely at the NOW pic above, those curvy lines on the overhead image and the rear view image are continuous/match with each other. This seems that the screen might be faulty.
However, OP seems to imply that there is no problem during daytime driving and the problem only comes when at night/low light situation (eg underground garage). If the screen itself is faulty, then the problem should be apparent during daytime as well.

If the dealer insists the problem is caused by the software update, then there is really nothing that can be done until another update comes along.
If it is truly so, then I expect more owners will report similar problem as OP cannot be the sole owner having this software update.
Old 06-04-2022, 04:51 PM

MB GLC 300 de 4matic
Question Need VIN of GLC with 360º SVS

Hi,

I want to retrofit the 360º SVS to my GLC from Nov-2020. A friend can check the wiring in WIS but needs the VIN of a vehicle that *already* has the option. Some guys in this thread seem to have it, would anyone share the VIN with me, please?

Thanks in advance!