GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

[GLC350e] Interior: Console: 'M' Button: Stuck: Sand

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 c240
Question [GLC350e] Interior: Console: 'M' Button: Stuck: Sand

I appreciate your time in reading my thread. The "Mercedes-Benz GLC 350e (2019)" is cool so far.
  1. Unfortunately, from playing volleyball then driving, there has been sand ingress into the Center Console button — the 'M' button specifically.
  2. The button is yet able to actuate the switching function, ___however, the ('M') button is stuck due to granules of sand and does not have the original distance of travel (barely moves now)___.
I have attached a picture with a red outline to jog one's memory as to what I am referring to.
I have also attached (to the bottom of this post) a link to a video tutorial in which a man succinctly explains how to remove the entire Center Console.
What I am hoping I will receive guidance on is:
  • (i) whether or not such removal of the Center Console is necessary to 'un-stick' the button from sand;
  • and (ii) how does one disassemble/open the button mechanism in order to clean it?

MERCEDES GLC300 FRONT CENTER CONSOLE RADIO SWITCH UNIT OEM A2539002407

"How to remove Center Console Mercedes GLC & C class | How to remove the factory radio GLC & C class" [[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gvOWY1HGWA]
(Have e46 BMW, but now GLC 350e (2019) too. 'e46fanatics' quite helpful and 'mbworld' as well. Looking forward to perusing threads here!)
— Have a good one!

Old 02-17-2024, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,812 Likes on 2,548 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by rostislav
  1. Unfortunately, from playing volleyball then driving, there has been sand ingress into the Center Console button — the 'M' button specifically.
You play volleyball while driving? I'm assuming you are driving your car to your volleyball games and back. Just thought it was a strange sentence. Anyway, I had a stuck M button in my C63. Not from external influences. It just started to stick one day. The dealership replaced the entire left button bank under warranty. That's one unit and can't be taken apart as far as I understand. Well, I guess you could take it apart, but not sure it's designed to be easily put back together. So the entire bank of buttons should be able to be popped out. Maybe once it's out you can try to blow out the sand with compressed air, but I suspect it's gotten into places where it's hard to get it out cleanly. Can't help with how to pop it out, though.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-17-2024 at 11:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rostislav (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 02:30 AM

2001 c240
Appreciate the response superswiss. Yeah, was planning on giving the air compressor a whirl, but don't have high hopes for it pushing out the sand: tough luck getting sand back out when it's in under the button

Originally Posted by superswiss
You play volleyball while driving?
hahaha Nonetheless, I meant what I wrote superswiss: "Unfortunately, from playing volleyball ___then___ driving, . . . " I assume since my post was most likely skimmed, one's brain probably assumed the word "while/and" to be there so swapped it for "then". (Humans commonly mis-parse perceptions such as eyesight.)
— Cheers & Have a Good One!
Old 02-19-2024, 02:40 AM

2001 c240
I forgot to thank you superswiss for mentioning that
Anyway, I had a stuck M button in my C63. Not from external influences. It just started to stick one day. The dealership replaced the entire left button bank under warranty. That's one unit and can't be taken apart as far as I understand.
Makes me wonder if "Stuck 'M' Button Due To Sand" would be covered under my warranty . . . Thanks for tentatively confirming my assumption that the ('M') button (in addition to the other buttons which accompany it) likely doesn't disassemble so that I may remove the sand . . .

Edit: Sick AMG! The below isn't superswiss's ride, but posting a picture of the "AMG C63s (2019)" model.

New Panamericana grille gives the C63 more visual drama. Picture: DENIS DROPPA [TimesLIVE]

Last edited by rostislav; 02-19-2024 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Compliment, Images
Old 02-19-2024, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I forgot to thank you superswiss for mentioning that

Makes me wonder if "Stuck 'M' Button Due To Sand" would be covered under my warranty . . . Thanks for tentatively confirming my assumption that the ('M') button (in addition to the other buttons which accompany it) likely doesn't disassemble so that I may remove the sand . . .

Edit: Sick AMG! The below isn't superswiss's ride, but posting a picture of the "AMG C63s (2019)" model.

New Panamericana grille gives the C63 more visual drama. Picture: DENIS DROPPA [TimesLIVE]
I indeed skimmed over your post too fast and read it differently. Thanks for being a good sport. So in my case they explicitly first looked for external factors for why the button could be stuck, but didn't find any so they went ahead and replaced it under warranty. Finding sand in the buttons will likely cause them to void the warranty, though as that is considered an external factor. They asked me if I ever spilled coffee or soda on it, but I told them there was no drinking and eating in my car.

As for my C63, I've got the coupe.

rostislav (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 07:32 PM

2001 c240
Yeah, have to find the Center Console: Left Button Bank part — pretty sure only dealership would have it. Your coupé's engine technology really dates my coupé. ha hah That V8 looks wicked; this is a straight-six, three-liter.
superswiss (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yeah, have to find the Center Console: Left Button Bank part — pretty sure only dealership would have it. Your coupé's engine technology really dates my coupé. ha hah That V8 looks wicked; this is a straight-six, three-liter.
That takes me back. I had one of those, too. 6 speed manual of course.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 GLC, 2012 RX350. Gone: Q5, LR2, XC90
You can try using a vacuum cleaner with a slim nozzle- not the "car" type working of the 12V, but the home one- needs to be powerful and have an attachment for getting into narrow spaces. This way you are not pushing anything in, at least. Keep manipulating the button while vacuuming it.
Good luck